Live games before Sky

spyinthesky

Who can remember turning up at The Dell to watch Saints live on the 'Big Screen' get routinely hammered in away games with poor quality sound and vision?

Seem to remember one game (at Old Trafford?) when David Howells had to go in goal

On a separate subject anyone at the Dell in the early 70's when Saints won the Combination Cup in front of a 15,000 odd crowd with a young Mike Channon starring?

Who can remember turning up at The Dell to watch Saints live on the 'Big Screen' get routinely hammered in away games with poor quality sound and vision?

Seem to remember one game (at Old Trafford?) when David Howells had to go in goal

On a separate subject anyone at the Dell in the early 70's when Saints won the Combination Cup in front of a 15,000 odd crowd with a young Mike Channon starring?

David Howells was a Dave Jones signing so definitely not before Sky.

I remember the Arsenal 2-2 under Wigley was broadcast from the Channon suite or whichever one it was. It was only semi regular thing as I remember, which was a shame. Being that people are streaming matches all over the shop nowadays the club could host a broadcast of every away and make a couple of quid. Won't be allowed of course.

Can't really recall, but do remember going to the Dell and looking to see if the TV trucks were there which meant we would be on MotD, or am I getting confused? Weren't all the games shown on MotD?

Until about ten years ago there used to be 3/4 main games and the rest they would just show the goals/major incidents from.

Until about ten years ago there used to be 3/4 main games and the rest they would just show the goals/major incidents from.

And of course, not having sponsors on the shirts was a sure sign that we were on MotD. God knows when that changed, but I am sure someone will be able to say.

In the 70s there would only be 2 games on motd - a main game and a "lesser" game. The other matches wouldn't be shown at all. It was quite unusual for Saints to be featured - maybe 3 times a season or so.

I think the showing of all the goals at least from the top league started later in the 80s which was also when BBC and ITV started to show quite a few live games, despite the popular myth that there was hardly ever any live football on TV before Sky.

Charlton. Lost 5-0. 22/8/98.

If my memory's not playing tricks, the first live game from the Dell was early 80s, a BBC Friday night game against Liverpool. Danny Wallace scored an over-the-shoulder cracker in a 2-0 win.

Around the same time we were live away to Blackburn in the FA Cup, again a Friday night on the Beeb, a very good away support that witnessed another Saints victory (we were good live on the box back then!). And later on that cup run, we were on live TV away at Sheff Wed, on a Sunday this time, when (amazing to think now) around 10,000 Saints fans made the long trip to Yorkshire. Drew 0-0, won the replay 5-1.

If my memory's not playing tricks, the first live game from the Dell was early 80s, a BBC Friday night game against Liverpool. Danny Wallace scored an over-the-shoulder cracker in a 2-0 win.

Around the same time we were live away to Blackburn in the FA Cup, again a Friday night on the Beeb, a very good away support that witnessed another Saints victory (we were good live on the box back then!). And later on that cup run, we were on live TV away at Sheff Wed, on a Sunday this time, when (amazing to think now) around 10,000 Saints fans made the long trip to Yorkshire. Drew 0-0, won the replay 5-1.

Charlton. Lost 5-0. 22/8/98.

Thanks for this

Did Clive Mendoca play for Charlton at the time?

Who could imagine losing 5-0 at the Valley these days?

Mind you I was at the Valley the season after we won the cup and we got beat 6-2 to go bottom of Div 2

We bought tickets in their small main stand and found some people (Charlton fans I think) sat in our seats.

By the time we had finished arguing over this we were two or three down and beyond caring

Could have been Ted MacDougalls first game for Saints

Thanks for this

Did Clive Mendoca play for Charlton at the time?

Who could imagine losing 5-0 at the Valley these days?

Mind you I was at the Valley the season after we won the cup and we got beat 6-2 to go bottom of Div 2

We bought tickets in their small main stand and found some people (Charlton fans I think) sat in our seats.

By the time we had finished arguing over this we were two or three down and beyond caring

Could have been Ted MacDougalls first game for Saints

Mendonca got a hat-trick.

Ted Mac made his debut the week before, at home to Forest. At Charlton, the car I was in got held up in traffic and got there 15 mins late. A copper at the gate asked if we had many fans there. I said yes and he said " you're 2 up then."