Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Would getting VVD in earlier have changed those early results last season and meant that we made up the three points to Man City? If it did we could be preparing for champions league football now? Wouldn't that have been money well spent? Even if it did take 5 million or 10 million more to get him in earlier?

We'll never know but IMO its one of my frustrations..we let our players go early so they get a full pre season at their new teams yet don't always get our people in till late, potentially affecting their season, especially when it's their first in the premiere the league?

Not to forget having Bertrand and Forster.

It is all a load of ifs.

Our "weight" is now a top 8 club - the club act in this way, and it's a shame some of our fans can't move on too.

As for Koeman, I can't remember any comments about us not having ambition and if I remember, he was keen to stay here - can't be all that bad here eh? I think we show plenty of ambition (CL in 3-5 yrs?) but are doing it in the correct way. Ambition isn't about splashing out stupid sums of money - over £100M for Pogba FFS?? Mental. . Look at Spuds - hate to say it but they have learnt from spunking all the Bale money on overpriced players and now shop in the same places as we do - Jannsen (sp?) for example. It's the right way to do things.

I dunno, Spurs signed Janssen for £18.5M to be a backup to Kane. We have never paid that much for a player ever, much less a back up. But I get your point..

I guess I could buy your argument that Spurs are spending reasonably and prudently compared to Man U or Liverpool, but we still not even close to Spurs in the spending department. Nor really can we afford to.

Since we've come back up we've been crying out for somebody to put the ball in the net . How many times under Poch & even under Ron did we lose games we should have won . If we create as many chances as we have done and IF Charlie stays fit , he'll score plenty . The issue is the IF he stays fit , but that if is why he was £4mlion and not more . To me Long & him are a good mix provided both play up top . Start shifting one out wide and they won't be as effective . Not a big fan of 4-4-2 , so would prefer Rons 3-5-2 , but will the new guy play that way. I think long & Austin are top players , I'd have both before pelle

You will see this post in various forms on every club page not just saints. The myth about Austin being injury prone is laughable. His failed medical at Hull was down to a shoulder injury which has never surfaced. It was Shane long's form that kept him out of the line up last year more than a tight hamstring.

why not use it to replace mane?

we were woeful in the cups last season (all 3 of them) and many would quite like to do better?

I'm not too bothered about replacing players like for like, especially now that we have a different manager. But I do feel that we are short of a quality goal-scoring attacker or two.

Why would any sane human being think of it that way?

It's taking an example to the extreme to try and make it obvious for those who can't grasp the concept that goal tally from the spot isn't the same as goals from open play.

When we signed Billy Sharp there was no point in looking at his record and counting his goals from the spot because he was never going to get anywhere near a penalty as long as Lambert was around.

Austin might become our designated penalty taker if he stays fit and performs but at the moment it's Tadic, so Austin's record from the spot doesn't come into it for me.

It's taking an example to the extreme to try and make it obvious for those who can't grasp the concept that goal tally from the spot isn't the same as goals from open play.

When we signed Billy Sharp there was no point in looking at his record and counting his goals from the spot because he was never going to get anywhere near a penalty as long as Lambert was around.

Austin might become our designated penalty taker if he stays fit and performs but at the moment it's Tadic, so Austin's record from the spot doesn't come into it for me.

So if Austin takes penalties we have to take away Tadics penalties and this adds to the goals we have missing next year? What about when he missed do these get added back in?

So if Austin takes penalties we have to take away Tadics penalties and this adds to the goals we have missing next year? What about when he missed do these get added back in?

Goals from the spot are team goals and should not be attributed to a goalscorer, in my opinion.

Goals from the spot are team goals and should not be attributed to a goalscorer, in my opinion.

One of the most ridiculous things I've heard. All goals are team goals, there are passes between the team before a goal so no goals ever should be attributed to a goal scorer?

One of the most ridiculous things I've heard. All goals are team goals, there are passes between the team before a goal so no goals ever should be attributed to a goal scorer?

Yes, if you like. So a player who has taken no part in the move leading to the penalty should be awarded a goal in his lifetime statistics just for kicking a ball into the net from 12 yards? Any professional player should be able to do that 19 times outside of twenty.

Yes, if you like. So a player who has taken no part in the move leading to the penalty should be awarded a goal in his lifetime statistics just for kicking a ball into the net from 12 yards? Any professional player should be able to do that 19 times outside of twenty.

So by natural extension, a CB who scores off his head making like a statue from a corner kick are taken those away too because there was no movement....or a set piece from 20 yards out? Sadly, the foundation of your argument is built on sand.

If the ball goes over the line, a goal is a goal is a goal, whether it's a 30 yard worldy, a tap in off the line, or a penalty - why? Because there is always an opportunity for the scorer to

a - miss,

b - have the ball saved

c - score.

So no transfer news to speak of then....?

I wouldn't count any player's penalties in their goal tally except to note that when lambert was playing i expected the team to score all its penalties and if austin or tadic are taking them, I won't (i recall austin missing a penalty for QPR)

Their penalty record i relevant in that it gives us a guide as to how the team will fare in converting from the spot depending on who is designated and who is back up int he case the designated taker is unavailable.

We've got JWP who seems to like taking them as well.

Goals from the spot should be counted separately from goals from open play. I feel there's less compelling argument that possibly direct free kicks should be as well, but those statistics aren't collected as far as I know.

Bottom line, if we have a Jason Dodd taking penalties with a 100% conversion record and we sign a striker who scored 18 goals for his former team, six of which came from the spot, I expect around 12 goals from the striker in a season, not 18.

Arsenal supposedly in for Mahrez, so another attacking mid to their multiple numbers already, so another face AOC has to battle past for first team footie, we should be at the head of queue offering him that first team football.

harder to score a penalty than a goal from open play.

However if good play wins a penalty then fair enough, but say Austin wasn't the penalty taker for QPR and it was someone else-

Then he would have 12/13 Prem goals in that QPR season- just one/two more than Pelle.

Anderson Talisca.

Was linked to Liverpool......but they now have signed Wijnaldum.

Isn't he slightly more deeper lying than Wijnaldum? As far as I can tell, Liverpool still want another central midfielder.

Please tell me Wolves aren't going to sign him?!

FFS make it stop. Thanks Saint Lard for a relevant post. Anderson Talisca would be a brilliant signing.

I thought there'd be Work permit problems. Hence why he's been surprisingly linked with Wolves. Apparently a work permit would be easier to achieve if he started in England in the Championship.

So I read....

I can't see Liverpool needing him.

Lallana may find himself out of there. And, controversially, I'd have him back here. (Tin hat on)

Trippier linked. (Alex Crook, though)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/532479/Southampton-Tottenham-Kieran-Trippier-Premier-league-transfers-rumours-gossip

Can't imagine Levy would let him leave for £5m

It is hard to see Cedric not being first choice under Puel, so the article is flawed in its reasoning for Trippier moving. Yes, it would be nice to have them both. But Trippier is better off being 2nd choice at Spurs than 2nd choice at Saints.

Same reason we signed a Bayern Munich reject. We have a tendency to improve young players with potential.

Are you really comparing Benfica with Bayern? Bayern will only have ready made players or ones with exceptional potencial. Talisca isn't wanted by Benfica because he isn't very good, not much better than Djuricic. There isn't much potential there. If there was Benfica would develop him themselves.

It is hard to see Cedric not being first choice under Puel, so the article is flawed in its reasoning for Trippier moving. Yes, it would be nice to have them both. But Trippier is better off being 2nd choice at Spurs than 2nd choice at Saints.

Agreed, and even if there was any possibility, I'd imagine you'd have to double that price.

Are you really comparing Benfica with Bayern? Bayern will only have ready made players or ones with exceptional potencial. Talisca isn't wanted by Benfica because he isn't very good, not much better than Djuricic. There isn't much potential there. If there was Benfica would develop him themselves.

Are you really comparing Benfica with Saints? Fine, you dont rate the guy I get it. Interesting posting style, on this and other threads potential to be a forum "character".

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/532479/Southampton-Tottenham-Kieran-Trippier-Premier-league-transfers-rumours-gossip

Agreed, and even if there was any possibility, I'd imagine you'd have to double that price.

Long term I think they see Cedric as 1st choice & will want a pathway for Yan Valery.

Crook recycling some obscure link on twitter as firm interest. The guy is feeding on scraps.

If we are looking for a back-up RB to Cedric, can't imagine why Trippier would be interested in leaving Spurs for us to perform essentialy the same role. The only way I can see this having any legs is if we want Trippier to be first choice...which would probably mean moving Cedric on and still having Cuco as back-up.

It's a position that needs strengthening given that Cuco is a limited player, but I just can't see us having two players of that quality fighting for the one role until we are competing in the CL. Best scenario we'll have is like with Chambers/Clyne, Targett/Bertrand, having an established first-choice and a promising young player.

Crook recycling some obscure link on twitter as firm interest. The guy is feeding on scraps.

If we are looking for a back-up RB to Cedric, can't imagine why Trippier would be interested in leaving Spurs for us to perform essentialy the same role. The only way I can see this having any legs is if we want Trippier to be first choice...which would probably mean moving Cedric on and still having Cuco as back-up.

It's a position that needs strengthening given that Cuco is a limited player, but I just can't see us having two players of that quality fighting for the one role until we are competing in the CL. Best scenario we'll have is like with Chambers/Clyne, Targett/Bertrand, having an established first-choice and a promising young player.

Are they both purely full backs or can they play further forward?

... Any professional player should be able to do that 19 times outside of twenty.

Get real. The conversion rate is around 75-80 percent across pro leagues, depending on where exactly you draw the floor. (19 of 20, in case you need help with the math, is 95 percent.) SFC has just been incredibly blessed with two generational talents. If watching RL and MLT didn't prove to you that penalty-taking is a widely varying skill, one that should be rewarded with recognition, there's no hope for you.

Get real. The conversion rate is around 75-80 percent across pro leagues, depending on where exactly you draw the floor. (19 of 20, in case you need help with the math, is 95 percent.) SFC has just been incredibly blessed with two generational talents. If watching RL and MLT didn't prove to you that penalty-taking is a widely varying skill, one that should be rewarded with recognition, there's no hope for you.

You must have missed the 'should' in there and there was also a large slice of hyperbole. I know that Matty (48/49 98%) was exceptional but his record was not as good as Ricky's (for us 31/31 100%). If they can be so consistent then why can't others?

No need for the puerile patronising thank you, I had a couple of maths A levels before I was old enough to legally go to work.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Don't forget Beattie that was sandwiched between MLT and RL. He had a very good penalty record too didn't he?

You must have missed the 'should' in there and there was also a large slice of hyperbole. I know that Matty (48/49 98%) was exceptional but his record was not as good as Ricky's (for us 31/30 100%). If they can be so consistent then why can't others?

No need for the puerile patronising thank you, I had a couple of maths A levels before I was old enough to legally go to work.

Eh? That is pretty amazing :D

Eh? That is pretty amazing :D

Can we all leave Whitey alone please. Yes he's meandered down a bit of an I'll-advised path with this whole goals to pens ratio maths stuff but there aren't many transfers to talk about are there?

Can we all leave Whitey alone please. Yes he's meandered down a bit of an I'll-advised path with this whole goals to pens ratio maths stuff but there aren't many transfers to talk about are there?

Thanks, it has all got a bit silly.

Back on topic, I contend that when we are considering a new player and are considering his goal scoring abilities I would value his goals from general play as more significant than any scored from the spot. We can always train up a full back to take penalties. David Peach and Jason Dodd come to mind.

I like Trippier - Fine player with an excellent cross (better than Cedric's in my opinion).

I wondered whether the management feel Cedric can player further forward on the right hand side, he is a very accomplished player who could play in most positions and by doing this, could free up the right back slot for another acquisition, like Trippier.

Might be a better acquisition doing things this way than searching for another wide right (and much more expensive ) player...

By the way - Please let us sign Kaputska ;0)