Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Zero chance of signing matic IMO.

Sadly am inclined to agree, and I never suggested that we could sign him, just that at £15M (or in other words £4M more than VM left us for), what an absolutely fantastic signing that would be. If Matic wanted to stay in England we might have a chance, but otherwise not.

With two top quality options in each position currently in the ranks, there is felt to be little need to act drastically in the transfer market.

However, that doesn’t mean Saints won’t attempt to continue their normal, prudent building programme.

Guess we won't be doing much more this summer then in less something interesting (Ie cheap) turns up. it's also Interesting that the club are happy with the squad as it stands while lots of fans seem to think it's barely adequate....

With two top quality options in each position currently in the ranks, there is felt to be little need to act drastically in the transfer market.

However, that doesn’t mean Saints won’t attempt to continue their normal, prudent building programme.

Guess we won't be doing much more this summer then in less something interesting (Ie cheap) turns up. it's also Interesting that the club are happy with the squad as it stands while lots of fans seem to think it's barely adequate....

Who's our other top quality right winger?

Did I read the same article ?

"That is not going to be the end of the action though in terms of incomings, and with Puel back in England it is set to accelerate things further."

I don't know anyone that thinks our squad is "barely adequate", just that given the circumstances and budgets we have available and the players we have lost, we should be able to recruit a very good standard of player this pre-season. Can't judge either way until a few months into the season though.

Did I read the same article ?

"That is not going to be the end of the action though in terms of incomings, and with Puel back in England it is set to accelerate things further."

Rather mixed messages from that article I say

That is not going to be the end of the action though in terms of incomings, and with Puel back in England it is set to accelerate things further.

I don't know anyone that thinks our squad is "barely adequate", just that given the circumstances and budgets we have available and the players we have lost, we should be able to recruit a very good standard of player this pre-season. Can't judge either way until a few months into the season though.

I keep seeing people banging on about a Mane replacement (even though it's clearly Redmond), a Victor replacement (even though its most likely Pierre Højbjerg ) a Pelle replacement (even though that's Austin) I haven't seen to many saints fans declaring themselves happy with the squad or that we have two top quality options in every position. Barely adequate might be over egging it a bit but certainly the fan base don't seem as happy with the first team as the club seem to be. Personally I'm pretty relaxed about it that's not the feeling I'm getting off most posters on here.

I keep seeing people banging on about a Mane replacement (even though it's clearly Redmond), a Victor replacement (even though its most likely Pierre Højbjerg ) a Pelle replacement (even though that's Austin) I haven't seen to many saints fans declaring themselves happy with the squad or that we have two top quality options in every position. Barely adequate might be over egging it a bit but certainly the fan base don't seem as happy with the first team as the club seem to be. Personally I'm pretty relaxed about it that's not the feeling I'm getting off most posters on here.
Is Redmond definitely the Mane replacement? I didn't know that. If that is the case, it leaves us weaker than we were at the end of last season, that is disappointing considering the resources at our disposal. We don't have two "top quality options" in every position, that's quite a bizarre claim.

I don't think the club is arrogant enough to think it can lose Mane, Pelle and Wanyama and replace them with Redmond, Austin and Hojbjerg. With an even more competitive league anticipated this season and the European campaign if the club want to sustain progression (or at least maintain a Top 6 - 8 position) then it needs to strengthen - and I am sure it will.

Redmond is a decent player, but if we're relying on him to replace Mane then thats a huge ask. I know wasn't great last season, but his unpredictability will be a massive miss.

I personally feel that we need to bring in another exciting attacking player who will get fans off their seats.

Austin hasn't shown anything last season to give us the opinion he is capable of replacing Pelle. I am concerned we will not have anywhere near the amount of goals in our side. If we can get J-Rod back firing then great, but thats also a big gamble.

I don't think the club is arrogant enough to think it can lose Mane' date=' Pelle and Wanyama and replace them with Redmond, Austin and Hojbjerg. With an even more competitive league anticipated this season and the European campaign if the club want to sustain progression (or at least maintain a Top 6 - 8 position) then it needs to strengthen - and I am sure it will.[/quote']

Whole heatedly agree, although I would change, or maybe add to your "arrogant", "complacent"

Too many of us amateurs think that the professionals at the club can't see what we can see. And then on top of that, in their professional capabilities, they see an awful lot more than us amateurs do. They know what they are doing. I don't tell the pilot of the plane I am on how to fly, so I leave the running of the club to those whose job it is. Sure, if we were Blackpool, Villa etc one would be justified to criticise. But the past few years and the fact that the season hasn't started (or rather, the transfer window is still open) are reason for me to retain utmost faith in those running things.

I personally feel that we need to bring in another exciting attacking player who will get fans off their seats.

Yeah, I'm hoping that will be the case.

Whilst Liverpool are usually the last team to admire the recruitment policy of, I think it's smart that whilst they already have Coutinho/Lallana/Firmino, they have still signed Mane & looking at landing Wijnaldum to further strengthen.

I'm not sure that the article suggests that we are basically done what I think is that the club are playing transfers down for two main reasons in my humble opinion;

1) to keep gossip in the media as low as possible (hopefully because we are going for 2-3 players of a quality where perhaps bigger clubs may want to get in on the act) and;

2) to help boost the ethos of younger players having opportunity to progress versus an ethos of simply buying buying buying.

I'm certain we will see at least 2 more decent players if not 3-4. I do not get this RB thing though. Sure Soares and Martina are not the best in the league but they are pretty decent and obviously one just won the Euros....not sure we are that desperate plus Yoshida can cover there!

Redmond I feel is effectively half a replacement for Mane as I see it - not in terms of ability I will stress as I think he is much better and will be much better than it seems most on here believe. He is though much more of the wide player than the best part of Mane which was through the middle. I think we will effectively cover that part of his game with a speedy striker which will at the same time compensate more for Pelle (I know people think Austin was his replacement and he probably is in terms of size and heading prowess in the box) but we do need another speedy type as stated.

I imagine we will see an attacking type midfielder (don't really get this Number 10 thing as in different formations it's a different role) but a Wjnaldum type would be good. Well ANY midfielder who can contribute 8-10 goals!!

Personally I think we need another CB and I like the idea of Kongolo (mentioned that before), left sided, a bit of European experience, and will develop. Our type of player.

And of course we still need another GK although I do think PG has improved having watched a few U21 games last season but there's a big leap to the Premier league! Hopefully he will play every game in the JPT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone else seems to be struggling at the moment which is nice to see, fills me with a lot of confidence about the season to come.

If we do get a shiny new AMC (Ziyech etc.) i'd be really happy, but if it's just a back-up right back and then have Cuco as back-up back-up (On the bench for some euro, league cup, and prem games) i think we'll be fine next season.

Kapusta for 5m euros seems like a pretty good deal if they don't want to spend too much.

There seems to be a worrying lack of momentum in this pre-season, partly it must be said because of the Euros but that is not the only reason. The Dutch tour is obviously something that was set up by/for Koeman and has a distinct 'old regime' feel about it. So far we have seen or heard little from Puel (the invisible man?), certainly no sign of the charismatic leadership that both the players and fans need to build excitement and anticipation of a bold new venture. Despite the departures of several key players from the last campaign the club have given little sign that we will replace them - it is possible of course that recruitment is far more difficult nowadays, that potential incoming players hesitate because so many others have left and we have a relatively unknown coaching team.

With 20 days to go before kick-off we seem to be leaving it a little late to pull everything together in time and many must sense that we are about to enter an important new season with an engine that has not been properly maintained and is not firing on all cylinders. To me it seems that Koeman's departure was so abrupt that the club had no plan B and whilst Puel may turn out to be a super coach in his own right he seems unable to provide that big personality feel (Boris Johnson) that grabs people's attention and convinces that the impossible may be possible.

What tickles me, is that something appears in a newspaper, any newspaper, and certain individuals on here, take it as absolute gospel, then start wringing their collective hands in abject misery. Lets try waiting until the transfer window draws to a close, and see where we are then, some would have us back in big debt, just to satisfy their thinking, on how a successful club should be run, forgetting that we are constrained by the financial bonds forced upon us.

There seems to be a worrying lack of momentum in this pre-season, partly it must be said because of the Euros but that is not the only reason. The Dutch tour is obviously something that was set up by/for Koeman and has a distinct 'old regime' feel about it. So far we have seen or heard little from Puel (the invisible man?), certainly no sign of the charismatic leadership that both the players and fans need to build excitement and anticipation of a bold new venture. Despite the departures of several key players from the last campaign the club have given little sign that we will replace them - it is possible of course that recruitment is far more difficult nowadays, that potential incoming players hesitate because so many others have left and we have a relatively unknown coaching team.

With 20 days to go before kick-off we seem to be leaving it a little late to pull everything together in time and many must sense that we are about to enter an important new season with an engine that has not been properly maintained and is not firing on all cylinders. To me it seems that Koeman's departure was so abrupt that the club had no plan B and whilst Puel may turn out to be a super coach in his own right he seems unable to provide that big personality feel (Boris Johnson) that grabs people's attention and convinces that the impossible may be possible.

I don't know what more you want from him, he has done a couple of interviews on the official Youtube channel and the cameras have been live streaming most of his training sessions so he's hardly been hiding from the fans, but his English clearly isn't 100% yet so he's probably brushing up on that before he can fully assume the role of court jester and 'personality', that you seem to want. Persoinally, I'd prefer he was spending time with the players, teaching them how he wants to play and getting them ready for the season than becoming a big personality on Youtube and in the press. Why you would want anyone with the personality of Boris Johnson anywhere near our club is beyond me, and even if you don't, the idea that he was the name given as an example is just mad. What do you want, Puel to write an offensive limerick about Big Sam and get stuck on some training equipment in a funny way?

Seriously, though, what are you expecting? The club to do one of those tacky twitter series' like Arsenal and Everton do where they round up all the gossip linking players to clubs on the OS? Of course they won't give us any signs as to players replacements, because they go about their business quietly, like always, and don't alert other clubs to our targets and their availability.

It's worth noting, too, that we've made two astute signings, have tied down all our best remaining players (besides Long, Tadic and Cedric who it seems are being dealt with) to long term deals and have another training camp coming up off the back of the USA trip which sounded very successful. Personally, I think there's a fair bit of momentum there, which will only be built upon by some more contracts and signings and another training camp to go.

There seems to be a worrying lack of momentum in this pre-season, partly it must be said because of the Euros but that is not the only reason.

Being polite - you worry too much.

The Dutch tour is obviously something that was set up by/for Koeman and has a distinct 'old regime' feel about it.

Maybe, but do you think that the standard of opposition is beneath us? Or would you prefer we cancel that and do a last minute tour of L1 teams? Maybe you think it easy to organise these things at short notice.

So far we have seen or heard little from Puel (the invisible man?), certainly no sign of the charismatic leadership that both the players and fans need to build excitement and anticipation of a bold new venture.

Still trying to be polite, this is complete horse shît. Why would we see or hear from him? His job is to manage the players. If you can't build excitement or anticipation without having your hand held, that is more a reflection on yourself. Certainly the content of your posts say an awful lot about you.

Despite the departures of several key players from the last campaign the club have given little sign that we will replace them - it is possible of course that recruitment is far more difficult nowadays, that potential incoming players hesitate because so many others have left and we have a relatively unknown coaching team.

While I have no doubt, as you say, that recruitment is more difficult, would you prefer us to do it the West Ham Way? Announce everything on twitter? We have never really been overt about our transfer business, so why do you expect it to be any different now?

With 20 days to go before kick-off we seem to be leaving it a little late to pull everything together in time and many must sense that we are about to enter an important new season with an engine that has not been properly maintained and is not firing on all cylinders.

No we don't.

To me it seems that Koeman's departure was so abrupt that the club had no plan B and whilst Puel may turn out to be a super coach in his own right he seems unable to provide that big personality feel (Boris Johnson) that grabs people's attention and convinces that the impossible may be possible.

Still trying to be polite, the situation as you see things rarely has any semblance to reality.

Better to say we're generally happy with the squad and will only go for good deals then to yell WE'RE RICH LOOK AT OUR WARCHEST WE'RE GOING TO SIGN A BIG NAME STRIKER. While the latter might sell a few more season tickets it might cost a bit more to bring players in.

I think we'd all be surprised if the club didn't invest a bit more in the squad given our net transfer spend is ~+£40m. Backup GK, decent attacking RB, attacking mid. and still make profit.

I think every fan expects their team to be upgraded during close season to be stronger than the previous year. As things stand today with the loss of three influential players we are quite a bit weaker, which is why there is growing concern on here. New players need to bed in too which is why the club acknowledged the sense of early business. The two new lads seem promising but we need a player with pedigree to step straight in and make an immediate impact. Easier said than done I know.

Id like to see us do more than replace who we lose. Of course we need to do that but to progress it means bringing in one or two additional players that are potential starters.

I do think that we cannot judge transfer business until the window shuts. Clubs often produce a rabbit from the hat on the final day.

I can't be arsed to research it but didn't we do that with Mane ?

One could say that Mané was JRod's replacement when he was out injured.

As for the other 2 influential players, it has been done. Austin is Pelle's replacement. Which leaves Wanyama - maybe the Danish kid is seen as his. Of course people will bring up injuries.

I think every fan expects their team to be upgraded during close season to be stronger than the previous year. As things stand today with the loss of three influential players we are quite a bit weaker, which is why there is growing concern on here. New players need to bed in too which is why the club acknowledged the sense of early business. The two new lads seem promising but we need a player with pedigree to step straight in and make an immediate impact. Easier said than done I know.

Basically this, anyone can see the squad is not as strong as it was last year, it's down on pure numbers and it's down on quality having lost 3 key players. We also have more games and more strain expected this year.

There is also the fact we are sitting on like £40 million of transfer sales, for that not to be used to re-invest back into the team is a bit of kick in the face to the fans IMO.

Being transfer neutral is one thing, but selling key players and then sitting on the money does not fit with the stated ambitions.

let's hope as someone above alluded to, that this is just a ploy to keep our activity more under the radar. You'd also kind of hope that with the biggest TV deal ever and added income from the Europa League we might actually spend more than the sales money.

Basically this, anyone can see the squad is not as strong as it was last year, it's down on pure numbers and it's down on quality having lost 3 key players. We also have more games and more strain expected this year. .

Agree, but you are taking the replacements into account as well. But having said that, it was nice to have "the replacements" there as it added depth to the squad. But give it time, which I know is running out. There seems little point just going out and sending £15m odd on any old player who might not be up to the job.

IMO, At this juncture, I'd say we're 3 players light. Perhaps more, but we don't want to flood the team with senior pros if we're going to try and use youth throughout the season.

The positions I think we need are back up keeper, Defensive midfielder rock, and an attacking goalscoring midfielder.

For the back up keeper, I'm not sure about Gazzaniga. Maybe the club think he's ready at last but I'd be nervous to see him as no.1 if Fraser got injured. Bring in a decent back up keeper and let Gazzaniga have a year's loan somewhere. Then we'll know if he's ready. As for the rest of the defence, I think we're sorted for now. The centre back 4 + the youngsters are strong, the left back slot is perhaps our strongest position of all, and I can't see us bringing in another right back when we have the youth players to back up a confidence-rich Soares and Martina.

For the DM, we need to replace Wanyama properly. I know nothing of Hojbjerg but from what people have been saying it seems he's more of a Schneiderlin than a Wanyama. Get a proper rock of a DM in and we should concede very few goals.

Finally as for the attacking midfielder, Mané needs to be replaced like for like, not hoping Redmond can come in and do it or even hoping someone like Isgrove can make the step up. This is where the big money needs to be spent. Ziyech would be perfect. Siggurdsson would be perfect. Someone that can create and score goals. I think the club will, it will be exciting to see who.

Finally, I would have said we needed a striker but with Long, Austin and JRod, when we only play 1 up front anyway, should be enough. Maybe the club will bring one in anyway, that'd be nice. Especially as Seager is out injured long term.

I think the club will bring in an attacking midfielder and a back up keeper for definite, but after that, who knows. Maybe a striker.

We need goals from somewhere is my feeling, we've lost Pelle and Mane and replaced them with Nathan "6 goals" Redmond and a central midfielder not known for scoring.

We also only have Fonte and VVD as fully competent CB's which is a slight worry but manageable, I think it will cost us points given the number of games we are going to have to play and the likely risk of injuries.

I guess another keeper?!? But I like Gazza and think he is getting there, clear improvement every time I see him.

The one area I'd still like is to get a goalscoring midfielder like Wijnaldum in. Newcastle may be resistant to selling him though.

Newcastle wont let him go for less than 25 million can't see saints paying that if I'm honest. Would be a good addition to the squad though.

We need goals from somewhere is my feeling, we've lost Pelle and Mane and replaced them with Nathan "6 goals" Redmond and a central midfielder not known for scoring.

We also only have Fonte and VVD as fully competent CB's which is a slight worry but manageable, I think it will cost us points given the number of games we are going to have to play and the likely risk of injuries.

I guess another keeper?!? But I like Gazza and think he is getting there, clear improvement every time I see him.

Dont forget Gardos is now fit, he wasnt cheap and through injuries etc we have never really got to have a good look at him or given him an extended run in the side.

Who says we won't buy more players??

Puel has only just spent his first decent amount of time assessing the squad (esp which academy players he feels he could bring through this year), so now he returns to the UK with a clear idea on what he needs/wants - I'm sure we'll do a bit more over the next few weeks.

Is Redmond definitely the Mane replacement? I didn't know that. If that is the case, it leaves us weaker than we were at the end of last season, that is disappointing considering the resources at our disposal. We don't have two "top quality options" in every position, that's quite a bizarre claim.

I wish the Echo would report actual news . These stories seem as if they are written by Saints themselves and handed to the Echo to publish . Hence the bizarre comments .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

One injury to Fraser and we're I the deep doo doo. Squad light in a few departments I'd say. Austin and Jay Rod won't play anything near a full season. Eek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He only plays a few games a season, I wouldn't want him here. Amazing deal for Newcastle that.

people say that but he got the same number of goals from midfield as Pelle or Mane managed in a **** Newcastle side. I cant see how having a centeral midfielder add 11 goals to our team would be a bad thing.

One injury to Fraser and we're I the deep doo doo. Squad light in a few departments I'd say. Austin and Jay Rod won't play anything near a full season. Eek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We aren't going to get a second keeper as good as Forster (Stek was pretty pants last season anyway) so our second string keeper will always make us weaker unless the club are planning to sign someone like Hart as back up.

We aren't going to get a second keeper as good as Forster (Stek was pretty pants last season anyway) so our second string keeper will always make us weaker unless the club are planning to sign someone like Hart as back up.

Weren't we linked with Michael McGovern, the Northern Irish keeper, during the Euros? That's gone a bit quiet, or has he signed up somewhere?

Still hoping on Ziyech, sound to me exactly what we need, someone who can create from the middle, score the odd screamer and crucially take set pieces because if we don't have JWP on the pitch you wonder about the quality of our free kicks and corners.

I think we are making a massive mistake relying on Austin and J-Rod both are injury prone we are also asking J-Rod to replicate previous form which is a gamble he might not be half the player he was.

Another striker would be a good shout even if it is a young option or raid the championship someone like Gray, Dembele or McCormick would provide us with cover and potential.

Goalkeeper we need a backup keeper!

We also need to replace the creativity of Mane I would go for Ziyech Pisto Praet

Of course. But there is weaker, and then there is Gazzaniga.

Would Yedlin be a reasonable back-up at RB if the rumours about Spurs looking to offload are true? No idea how well he did last year for Sunderland (statistically he seems about average), just remember a cameo at the last World Cup where he looked like one of the quickest players at the whole tournament.