Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Even if he's fit, I still think it's a concern...he doesn't seem to offer anything unless he is in the box, people seem to be underestimating how good some of Pelle's hold up play was!

Thought Pelle's hold up play was awful for the most part. Lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away with stupid little flicks.

9 out of 10? I wouldn't even back Messi 9 out of 10. Austin missed quite a few in his brief appearances for us. 1 in 5 chances would still make a very good striker. I don't doubt his finishing too much, even if it is based on just one season with QPR a little while ago now. It's not about writing him off it's about what we've lost from last season. Austin MAY be fit and score a few. Pelle has shown he'd be in the side scoring 12 or so and linking play very well. So right now we're well behind where we ended the season in attack.

I think most would expect a higher quality premier league this season too. If we want to remain top 8 I think we have a lot of work to do in the transfer market yet. At the moment it's hard to make out we have much ambition. I hope that's proven wrong and we show some, but right now it's hard to argue otherwise.

Agree with all this. At the moment we are hugely weaker up front than we were at the end of last season. Hopefully it's a case of us doing our transfer business discreetly and there'll be some pleasant surprises soon.

He scored 18 Premier League goals for a terrible relegated QPR side in 2014/15.
That's not good enough, he should be able to run around the pitch like a maniac, be the first to every ball, hold up the play, pass the ball to him self and score more than 30 goals in a season.

That's not good enough, he should be able to run around the pitch like a maniac, be the first to every ball, hold up the play, pass the ball to him self and score more than 30 goals in a season.

I'm just going on what I've seen of him, I hope he has a great season, I just don't think he will.

Not sure where I said the above, just seems to be pretty useless unless he is in the 6 yard box. we shall see. Would be great to see Long get 15/20 goals this season, bearing in mind he should be first choice all season.

Why do people not count penalties as goals?

It's one of those things along with berating a keeper for only being a good shot stopper or a striker for only scoring goals. Personally I'd like to have a good penalty taker again when Lambert was here you felt a pen was as good as goal. Last couple of seasons we've seen Mane miss, Tadic somehow score some awful pens, JWP look ok and we all now know why Pelle never took one. If Austin can take a good penalty I say great.

Why do people not count penalties as goals?

Think of it this way. if you put together a team of 11 players who each scored 5 goals from the spot every season for their previous clubs, you don't expect them to score 55 penalties between them in a season.

Penalty taking is a skill and a virtue, but it's not the same as goals from open play.

As it stands our squad is not good enough to stay in the division.

So you think Forster, Cedric, Fonte,VVD,Bertrand, Romeu, Clasie Davis and our new guy are so poor we are worse than 3 new sides + WBA,Sunderland, Swansea and Watford?

I reckon -1.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think of it this way. if you put together a team of 11 players who each scored 5 goals from the spot every season for their previous clubs, you don't expect them to score 55 penalties between them in a season.

Why would any sane human being think of it that way?

Too many people writing off Austin I think.

The lad is a goal machine, provide him a chance and he'll put it away 9 times out of 10. He's a much better finisher than Pelle or Long.

If Redmond, Tadic + another get on the assists game then we could be laughing. He's a 'right place, right time' kind of player. Someone that fans have been crying out for.

At least he won't try all those silly back hills in the buildup to the box, ala Pelle.

Geez you just jump on any bandwagon. Pelle different league to him.

Why's that? Fee sounds similar to Ibe, nothing too crazy for this summer. Looks a good player.

My judgement of him is purely on his YouTube video. Lots of dummies, falling down and no end-product. Bloody hell, YouTube even made DeRidder look decent.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14633940.Saints_consider_Randolph_move/

Considering a move for Darren Randolph as backup for Forster according to the Echo. They add that the RB the club wants will come in as cover for Cedric and that Puel is unlikely to decide on whether or not he wants to bring in another attacking midfielder until he has properly assessed the squad.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14633940.Saints_consider_Randolph_move/

Considering a move for Darren Randolph as backup for Forster according to the Echo. They add that the RB the club wants will come in as cover for Cedric and that Puel is unlikely to decide on whether or not he wants to bring in another attacking midfielder until he has properly assessed the squad.

How long does he want? Season starts in three weeks.

Randolph is an excellent keeper and would be great cover for Forster but not quite sure why he would want to be cover here any more than at WH. Arguably he is more likely to oust Adrian than he is Forster. But if we get him then great.

The fact we are not certain to add another attacker is bizarre though.

We have lost Mane, our best attacking player, plus Pelle and Juanmi. We have more games this season and some players with fitness doubts. Would be foolish to think we have enough. The likes of Gallagher, Isgrove, McQueen, Hesketh etc won't cut it at PL level.

No, I'm saying that not even YouTube can make him look good.

Well i can tell I watched him closely last season and this guy is the mustard.

Needs to work on his physical game but apart from that is extremely skillfull, tricky scores goals and is relatively quick.

Still very young and has an extremely high ceiling.

Thanks Charlie. Not seen that. There have, however, been other reports about us trying for another attacker.

Plus Koeman spent his first summer he didn't need any more defenders and then we signed Toby on deadline day and similarly Mane signing came out of absolutely nowhere.

Thanks Charlie. Not seen that. There have, however, been other reports about us trying for another attacker.

Plus Koeman spent his first summer he didn't need any more defenders and then we signed Toby on deadline day and similarly Mane signing came out of absolutely nowhere.

Of course, there is always room for maneouvre.

I still think we will bring an attacker in because as you say we have been linked with some since Redmond and the Club aren't stupid - they won't leave us short of goals and creativity because it would undermine the rest of the team which is looking strong.

Why is Slugger considered to be Charlie? Dodd(isalegend) has alluded to it as well.

Not that it's of any great importance.

Because I said Janssen, Wanyama and N'Koudou represented a good window so far for Spurs apparently.

Mind you, that Dodd guy appears to be razor sharp so it must be true.