Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Maybe Olufela Olomola could be our Iheanacho/Rashford

This would be cool. He is really strong for a guy who is 1.70 meters. Also quite fast. I dont think he will struggle as much as other youngsters his size with the physicality of the premier league

Just seen this Scout Nation You tube he misses an open goal and fluffs one or two shots, I think he a bit to much like Pelle frustrating as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AT-RV4gg8

I'm not overly worried if we don't invest any more in the team. That isn't to say I don't think there are areas we can strengthen, but at moment my own opinion is that it will be very hard to match last seasons achievement by virtue of other clubs performing to their expected level and our Europa League challenge. Add to that a crazy transfer market and I am comfortable with the pragmatic approach of investing in our current squad via new contracts and padding out the squad with Academy prospects.

There is something more fulfilling as a supporter when we give a young homegrown player a chance. I would rather know they aren't good enough than be left wondering. And it's important to safeguard that opportunity in the modern game as Saints are slowly carving out a very good position. We are starting to see top prospects at top clubs question their future. Man City are on the verge of losing one of their best young English players because he doesn't think the club will give him a chance. It is happening at Chelsea too. They are starting to see through the promises they are made when they sign big contracts having done very little in the game. If Saints can be that club that keeps the pathway clear then we become a more attractive proposition all the time. It's really important right now to show that - more than ever.

That is not to say I think there should be blind faith in kids and we see the team suffer, but in a season when we will need our largest ever squad I am far more intrigued by the approach of giving kids a chance than padding out the squad. That said, we know that the funds are there if the club see a deal that is right for them in the market. To lose Mane, Pelle and Wanyama and bring in Redmond and Hojbjerg and get VvD, Forster, JWP, Davis, Bertrand and Long sign new deals feels ok - it's better the devil you know at the moment and allows us to build in a far more planned manner than patching up the team each season.

Lastly on the matter of goals - until we see how Puel intends to play and assess the fitness of Austin and Jay Rod we won't know if the goals we have lost from the team are easily replaced. But Jay Rod and Austin deserve a chance.

Really good post!! Thx LLP

We're suddenly cool with signing backup again? That never ends well. Make the existing players backup and move forward please.

Right back & keeper I can deal with as I think Cedric can be quality.

Don't particularly want back up signings in forwards positions. That's where we need top drawer.

I'm not overly worried if we don't invest any more in the team. That isn't to say I don't think there are areas we can strengthen, but at moment my own opinion is that it will be very hard to match last seasons achievement by virtue of other clubs performing to their expected level and our Europa League challenge. Add to that a crazy transfer market and I am comfortable with the pragmatic approach of investing in our current squad via new contracts and padding out the squad with Academy prospects.

There is something more fulfilling as a supporter when we give a young homegrown player a chance. I would rather know they aren't good enough than be left wondering. And it's important to safeguard that opportunity in the modern game as Saints are slowly carving out a very good position. We are starting to see top prospects at top clubs question their future. Man City are on the verge of losing one of their best young English players because he doesn't think the club will give him a chance. It is happening at Chelsea too. They are starting to see through the promises they are made when they sign big contracts having done very little in the game. If Saints can be that club that keeps the pathway clear then we become a more attractive proposition all the time. It's really important right now to show that - more than ever.

That is not to say I think there should be blind faith in kids and we see the team suffer, but in a season when we will need our largest ever squad I am far more intrigued by the approach of giving kids a chance than padding out the squad. That said, we know that the funds are there if the club see a deal that is right for them in the market. To lose Mane, Pelle and Wanyama and bring in Redmond and Hojbjerg and get VvD, Forster, JWP, Davis, Bertrand and Long sign new deals feels ok - it's better the devil you know at the moment and allows us to build in a far more planned manner than patching up the team each season.

Lastly on the matter of goals - until we see how Puel intends to play and assess the fitness of Austin and Jay Rod we won't know if the goals we have lost from the team are easily replaced. But Jay Rod and Austin deserve a chance.

Excellent post LLP. Sums up all the situations very well.

Every so often the transfer market goes overboard and prices go through the roof.

" Richer " clubs spend money like man with six arms, and pay out enormous sums for players that they convince themselves will make them Champions.

Over several years, I've noted " key transfers " that suddenly push market prices up even further. Özil's £42 million to Arsenal (probably a good buy at the time),

but.... then came Sterling's £50 million move to Citeh, Di Maria's £59 million (?)...to United ....where neither proved to be world-beaters at their new clubs.

The fact that we negotiated £34 mill.+ for Mané shows that even " little Southampton " could demand ...and get...bigger deals.

Van Gaal may have set back MU for a season or two, and although they will get good results underr the new regimé, I don't think Mourinho will find the Prem. will be the " walk in the park " he thinks it is .....no matter how much he spends in the short term.

The same may be said of Guardiola and Conte (not to mention Koeman) who are doing dramatic house-cleaning and holding their hands out for big money replacements.

Talk of £100 million for Pogba :lol:..has put another £5-10 million on top of every transfer fee, with even mediochre players now being touted at £15-20 mill...and more.

I'd be embarrassed to be a Man U. fan at the thought of paying out £100 million for a player they'd practically let go as a youth player.

To our credit Saints have resisted the temptation to go into that area, although eventually we will surely pay higher fees for someone.

Looking back at the past 5 years....we've invested fairly carefully, although the Gaston and Osvaldo deals (both carried through on Cortese's approval) cost us dearly.

Mané and Pellé have already gone (with a surprisingly good profit) and we almost broke even on the Wanyama deal despite only a year left on his contract, and we even sold a manager for £5 million :D.

Our shrewd investment in younger players like Redmond and Hojbjerg will enhance the team, whilst having tied down our most experienced players for the forseeable future ...with the hope that Puel hopefully can (if anyone) .... find future talents from the Academy youngsters.

Surely all these big money buys must yield results, but if only some of them come right.....it'll be a good club that finishes in the top half of the Prem. ...come next May.

Excellent post LLP. Sums up all the situations very well.

Every so often the transfer market goes overboard and prices go through the roof.

" Richer " clubs spend money like man with six arms, and pay out enormous sums for players that they convince themselves will make them Champions.

Over several years, I've noted " key transfers " that suddenly push market prices up even further. Özil's £42 million to Arsenal (probably a good buy at the time),

but.... then came Sterling's £50 million move to Citeh, Di Maria's £59 million (?)...to United ....where neither proved to be world-beaters at their new clubs.

The fact that we negotiated £34 mill.+ for Mané shows that even " little Southampton " could demand ...and get...bigger deals.

Van Gaal may have set back MU for a season or two, and although they will get good results underr the new regimé, I don't think Mourinho will find the Prem. will be the " walk in the park " he thinks it is .....no matter how much he spends in the short term.

The same may be said of Guardiola and Conte (not to mention Koeman) who are doing dramatic house-cleaning and holding their hands out for big money replacements.

Talk of £100 million for Pogba :lol:..has put another £5-10 million on top of every transfer fee, with even mediochre players now being touted at £15-20 mill...and more.

I'd be embarrassed to be a Man U. fan at the thought of paying out £100 million for a player they'd practically let go as a youth player.

To our credit Saints have resisted the temptation to go into that area, although eventually we will surely pay higher fees for someone.

Looking back at the past 5 years....we've invested fairly carefully, although the Gaston and Osvaldo deals (both carried through on Cortese's approval) cost us dearly.

Mané and Pellé have already gone (with a surprisingly good profit) and we almost broke even on the Wanyama deal despite only a year left on his contract, and we even sold a manager for £5 million :D.

Our shrewd investment in younger players like Redmond and Hojbjerg will enhance the team, whilst having tied down our most experienced players for the forseeable future ...with the hope that Puel hopefully can (if anyone) .... find future talents from the Academy youngsters.

Surely all these big money buys must yield results, but if only some of them come right.....it'll be a good club that finishes in the top half of the Prem. ...come next May.

Out of last summers signings how many cemented a place in the team? VVD..and that's probably it.

Over the years we have wasted enough money on wages alone for other players excluding the oft quoted Osvaldo and Ramirez!

Caulker, Mayuka, Juanmi, Durijic, Elia, Gardos to name a few off the top of my head even players like Romeu, classie and Austin have yet to show a return.

Over a period (5, 10, 15 years) those who consistently can spend the highest will have a higher average position! Our current position probably reflects the 100 million we have spent on our squad in recent years!

Its not a case of being "worried" if we don't strengthen further, just "disappointed".

Given the money that should be available to us, the prospect of European football, top 6 finish last year, no reason why we can't expect to bring in some genuinely decent quality.

There's no reason why that would stop genuinely talented youth players progressing into the first team squad.

At the moment, we're going into the key part of pre season with a weaker squad than we finished last season, how many other Premier League teams can say that?

Think we are confident of attracting the best of the £15m bracket players and focusing more on paying slightly higher wages than before...that's where I think we will use the TV money the most. I know football fans want it all right now but we are seriously building something great here. The progression from season to season over the last 7 years or so speaks for itself. There will always be an outstanding player who will be sold but I'd rather our players did well as it means that we've probably had a good season. It's unrealistic that we can keep hold of players like Mané for 4 seasons but I believe we're trying to target 3 seasons rather than two. Hence the bigger 5 year deals. More protection and a little more longevity.

I would agree that wages are very important, however our current success is off the back of considerable investment in the squad three summers ago after the first melt down. Yes players will go when they are clearly too good for us..(how long VVD will stay is the question then?) my worry is what if we do not invest what we get in back into the squad? Last summers signings excluding VVD did not really improve the first team and until we sign someone else this summer I am worried that the first team is weakened this summer. (Although FF and Ryan being available from the first game is a massive up on last year)

However the squad we had last year was the best for depth I had known in my time.

It's a fine balance which the club in fairness have got right so far!

We'll be fine unless Everton tell him about their dugouts.

I envy those who can feel relaxed about our summer transfer dealings. I accept that we are in a wonderful position and we are still punching above our weight. I do not see us as being relegation threatened just yet.

However, the simple fact is that we have sold, and not replaced, two players who have scored 12-20 goals each in recent seasons. Rodriguez and Austin are fantastic players but if we are relying on them to be fit enough to score that many goals then, in my opinion, we are taking a massive risk. I hope I am wrong.

We have a net gain of about £30million pounds on our transfer dealings so far, plus TV money. Is this what Koeman meant by showing ambition?

I envy those who can feel relaxed about our summer transfer dealings. I accept that we are in a wonderful position and we are still punching above our weight. I do not see us as being relegation threatened just yet.

However, the simple fact is that we have sold, and not replaced, two players who have scored 12-20 goals each in recent seasons. Rodriguez and Austin are fantastic players but if we are relying on them to be fit enough to score that many goals then, in my opinion, we are taking a massive risk. I hope I am wrong.

We have a net gain of about £30million pounds on our transfer dealings so far, plus TV money. Is this what Koeman meant by showing ambition?

Has the transfer window closed then? I must have missed that.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Our "weight" is now a top 8 club - the club act in this way, and it's a shame some of our fans can't move on too.

As for Koeman, I can't remember any comments about us not having ambition and if I remember, he was keen to stay here - can't be all that bad here eh? I think we show plenty of ambition (CL in 3-5 yrs?) but are doing it in the correct way. Ambition isn't about splashing out stupid sums of money - over £100M for Pogba FFS?? Mental. . Look at Spuds - hate to say it but they have learnt from spunking all the Bale money on overpriced players and now shop in the same places as we do - Jannsen (sp?) for example. It's the right way to do things.

People do realise Austin scored 18 goals in his premier league season with QPR right? Pelle only managed 12 and 11 in his 2 years. You look at Austin's record in the 3.5 seasons before he joined us and he scored 70 goals in 119 games. That's consistent and prolific. The mini-meltdown asking where the goals will come from is bizarre. Pelle has been replaced with about as good as we can get.

People do realise Austin scored 18 goals in his premier league season with QPR right? Pelle only managed 12 and 11 in his 2 years. You look at Austin's record in the 3.5 seasons before he joined us and he scored 70 goals in 119 games. That's consistent and prolific. The mini-meltdown asking where the goals will come from is bizarre. Pelle has been replaced with about as good as we can get.

I think it is Mane not being replaced is what people are worried about

Our "weight" is now a top 8 club - the club act in this way, and it's a shame some of our fans can't move on too.

As for Koeman, I can't remember any comments about us not having ambition and if I remember, he was keen to stay here - can't be all that bad here eh? I think we show plenty of ambition (CL in 3-5 yrs?) but are doing it in the correct way. Ambition isn't about splashing out stupid sums of money - over £100M for Pogba FFS?? Mental. . Look at Spuds - hate to say it but they have learnt from spunking all the Bale money on overpriced players and now shop in the same places as we do - Jannsen (sp?) for example. It's the right way to do things.

it obviously means "something else" in Holland. For.... "Ambition " read "MONEY"

It's not mental for Man Utd to want to have the biggest transfer fee paid in history. It's all part of the brand and they want to ensure they stay with Barcelona and Real Madrid. If they fail to "excite" those fans all over the world they will fall behind them especially whilst they are not winning many trophies. The big thing is they can afford to do it!

I think top 8 for us is very top end of our "weight" at present. We are no where near the top 6 clubs in terms of revenue and likely to fall significantly behind West Ham this year( who are already above us) Not sure what last year will do for Leicester revenue wise and obviously Everton have been really close to us.

Les talking about CL is just a pipe dream that I think he should stop peddling that and let the talking be done on the pitch. If we do top 10 this year it's a great year for a club our size.

Funny enough been to turkey this year and you can buy football kits for every team in the top 8 last year including West Ham and Leciester except Saints!

I think it is Mane not being replaced is what people are worried about

Austin's 18 at QPR + Redmond's 6 last season = 24.

Pelle's 12 + Mane's 11 last season = 23.

Add £35m in our bank account to use elsewhere. What's the problem exactly?

Austin's 18 at QPR + Redmond's 6 last season = 24.

Pelle's 12 + Mane's 11 last season = 23.

Add £35m in our bank account to use elsewhere. What's the problem exactly?

why not use it to replace mane?

we were woeful in the cups last season (all 3 of them) and many would quite like to do better?

why not use it to replace mane?

we were woeful in the cups last season (all 3 of them) and many would quite like to do better?

I'm with you there. I'd like to see it reinvested to strengthen the squad and there's still over a month for that to happen. I just disagree with all the people saying we're weaker than last season.

The club goes about their business patiently. It'd be nice to have the squad complete before game 1 but it's better not to get drawn in to the crazy money being thrown around elsewhere.

It's not mental for Man Utd to want to have the biggest transfer fee paid in history. It's all part of the brand and they want to ensure they stay with Barcelona and Real Madrid. If they fail to "excite" those fans all over the world they will fall behind them especially whilst they are not winning many trophies. The big thing is they can afford to do it!

I think top 8 for us is very top end of our "weight" at present. We are no where near the top 6 clubs in terms of revenue and likely to fall significantly behind West Ham this year( who are already above us) Not sure what last year will do for Leicester revenue wise and obviously Everton have been really close to us.

Les talking about CL is just a pipe dream that I think he should stop peddling that and let the talking be done on the pitch. If we do top 10 this year it's a great year for a club our size.

Funny enough been to turkey this year and you can buy football kits for every team in the top 8 last year including West Ham and Leciester except Saints!

My comment about Pogba was more to do with his ability as a player, linked to what I said about Spuds having learnt not to pay galatico fees for players who aren't galaticos. He's worth nowhere near that sort of money, so IMO splashing out £100M for him is mental. Messi maybe, but not Pogba. But anyhow, off topic of this thread.

Out of last summers signings how many cemented a place in the team? VVD..and that's probably it.

Over the years we have wasted enough money on wages alone for other players excluding the oft quoted Osvaldo and Ramirez!

Caulker, Mayuka, Juanmi, Durijic, Elia, Gardos to name a few off the top of my head even players like Romeu, classie and Austin have yet to show a return.

Over a period (5, 10, 15 years) those who consistently can spend the highest will have a higher average position! Our current position probably reflects the 100 million we have spent on our squad in recent years!

I didn't suggest that we were totally without fault.....and NO .... I'm not going to stop mentioning Gaston and Osvaldo....the cost us £50 million one way or another, and whilst were there.... Mayuka was through yet another of Cortese's Swiss / Italian contacts.

I don't decry his efforts to put the club on a sounder admin. basis, but his knowledge of the football world was near zero.

Prior to our return to the Prem. ......Cortese spent many millions through his Italian "contacts" whilst the spending on British players was for very humble fees.

I'm not defending the loans of Caulker,(crazy)..... Djurijic or Elia, they were (apparantly) stop-gaps to cover our injury situation and probably old contacts of the Koeman's.

Juanmi must have come from somewhere....Koeman's Spanish friends?....the Black Box? ....who knows?... and it's unfair to judge Gardos who DAJFU in his first season and was unlucky to understudy Alderweireld, who was exceptional in his season at SMS.

Austin wasn't fully fit when we signed him....and when he was...... Mané, Pellé and Long had come on song, and there was no way he'd get into the side.

in transfers ...you win some , and you lose some....let's be thankful that the likes of Gaston and Osvaldo didn't cost us £20 million+ each in the first place.

I'm with you there. I'd like to see it reinvested to strengthen the squad and there's still over a month for that to happen. I just disagree with all the people saying we're weaker than last season.

The club goes about their business patiently. It'd be nice to have the squad complete before game 1 but it's better not to get drawn in to the crazy money being thrown around elsewhere.

Would getting VVD in earlier have changed those early results last season and meant that we made up the three points to Man City? If it did we could be preparing for champions league football now? Wouldn't that have been money well spent? Even if it did take 5 million or 10 million more to get him in earlier?

We'll never know but IMO its one of my frustrations..we let our players go early so they get a full pre season at their new teams yet don't always get our people in till late, potentially affecting their season, especially when it's their first in the premiere the league?

Since we've come back up we've been crying out for somebody to put the ball in the net . How many times under Poch & even under Ron did we lose games we should have won . If we create as many chances as we have done and IF Charlie stays fit , he'll score plenty . The issue is the IF he stays fit , but that if is why he was £4mlion and not more . To me Long & him are a good mix provided both play up top . Start shifting one out wide and they won't be as effective . Not a big fan of 4-4-2 , so would prefer Rons 3-5-2 , but will the new guy play that way. I think long & Austin are top players , I'd have both before pelle

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I didn't suggest that we were totally without fault.....and NO .... I'm not going to stop mentioning Gaston and Osvaldo....the cost us £50 million one way or another, and whilst were there.... Mayuka was through yet another of Cortese's Swiss / Italian contacts.

I don't decry his efforts to put the club on a sounder admin. basis, but his knowledge of the football world was near zero.

Prior to our return to the Prem. ......Cortese spent many millions through his Italian "contacts" whilst the spending on British players was for very humble fees.

I'm not defending the loans of Caulker,(crazy)..... Djurijic or Elia, they were (apparantly) stop-gaps to cover our injury situation and probably old contacts of the Koeman's.

Juanmi must have come from somewhere....Koeman's Spanish friends?....the Black Box? ....who knows?... and it's unfair to judge Gardos who DAJFU in his first season and was unlucky to understudy Alderweireld, who was exceptional in his season at SMS.

Austin wasn't fully fit when we signed him....and when he was...... Mané, Pellé and Long had come on song, and there was no way he'd get into the side.

in transfers ...you win some , and you lose some....let's be thankful that the likes of Gaston and Osvaldo didn't cost us £20 million+ each in the first place.

You win some you lose some but of last years signings only one is in the first eleven.

And if Austin can't get in the team because Pelle, Mane and Long were better then surely selling two of the three to accommodate him is weakening the team..that's like saying Targett isn't in the team because of Bertrand so we had better sell him! Lol

Since we've come back up we've been crying out for somebody to put the ball in the net . How many times under Poch & even under Ron did we lose games we should have won . If we create as many chances as we have done and IF Charlie stays fit , he'll score plenty . The issue is the IF he stays fit , but that if is why he was £4mlion and not more . To me Long & him are a good mix provided both play up top . Start shifting one out wide and they won't be as effective . Not a big fan of 4-4-2 , so would prefer Rons 3-5-2 , but will the new guy play that way. I think long & Austin are top players , I'd have both before pelle

We need a goal scoring midfielder. Been crying out for one for years.

Whatever anyone says we need someone in midfield - ideally a no.10 - who can take on defenders, turn them inside out and have the ability to shoot with accuracy from open play. Who is there like that within our financial means - not too many eh? IMO this is one difference between us and the 'bigger' clubs and until we sign a player of that calibre we will always be passing it backwards and sideways. Mane was the nearest thing we had and we've not replaced him yet. And no...Redmond is not that man.

The opposition may not have been great in the friendly today, but you couldn't fault the finishing from Austin and Redmond. It was also good to see Hojbjerg winning and converting the penalty with a driving run although he largely played fairly deep. Nice to have Long, F&C and F&B still to come back late after the tournament.