Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

It makes no business sense to sign Wilshere.... Unless he were to help us win the Europa league, finish in the top four etc etc. When did fans stop thinking about watching good football/winning trophies and more on net spend figures and sustainable growth? That's without considering the pretty much zero risk of us signing a player (when fit) that is better than any of our midfielders for a negligible amount of money/wages

It makes no business sense to get Wilshere on loan as the questionably tangible benefits (a more competitive squad for one season only? He's constantly injured, how realistic is he going to play consistently, and what impact will he have on the dressing room?) are outweighed by the long term consequences: we would displace a current first XI starter therefore disrupting their development and future value etc.; we would assist Arsenal in having a player match-fit for next season; and we would take a non-returnable hit on the finances.

Just no. If we had a shortfall of players in the middle of the pack, could negotiate an unrealistic wage drop for Jack, and establish a laughably low first-dibs to buy next deal for the end of the season, then just perhaps there may be a case - but none of these are even in the realms of being possible, so again, no.

We'd be getting a quality player for a year, probably on next to no wages, that would be better than anyone else in our midfield.

if he got injured then he gets injured and we'd probably send him back (though I suspect the amount of injuries Arsenal get has something to do with them more than the players, hardly like Wilshere is the only player there who keeps getting injured), if he doesn't we get a class player who would help us win more games and progress the club.

1 year is only about half the time most of our players are with us anyway. Plus you never know, he might love it here and want to stay.

Plus do we have a 'regular starter' for that position? Pretty sure none of our players are nailed on for those two midfield positions, aside maybe Hojberg.

Problem with signing Wilshere, regardless of business sense or not, is that he is likely to be injured for most of the season.

This is very true.

If anyone would know if we'd be interested on this it would be Jeremy Wilson who covers both clubs.

I know it's not really our style to loan without an option to buy - but Wheelchair could be a good one - provided he isn't the **** in real-life that he is painted in the media and disrupts the team.

Fills a position we could do with improving and adds real quality - we might even be able to get a fee out of them for him.

We can offer - European football, a high standard of training & attractive football in a similar style to arsenal.

I wouldn't say it was superior insight, just flaming common sense for anyone with a brain.
I think some posters should sit back and realise not all on here are adults, but perhaps just Saints fans in the school holidays. I dont know how old the majority of posters on here are but we must get young impressionable fans as well and they dont need to be goaded. This is not just to you by the way

I think some posters should sit back and realise not all on here are adults, but perhaps just Saints fans in the school holidays. I dont know how old the majority of posters on here are but we must get young impressionable fans as well and they dont need to be goaded. This is not just to you by the way

Now that's a back hander if I've ever seen one before. :lol:

Rumours of a £21m bid for him rejected from West Brom. Always said this Summer that are main priority after Boufal should be a DM, would give us an excellent side.

Austin

Tadic - Boufal - Redmond

Carvalho - Hojbjerg

Bertrand - Fonte - van Dijk - Cedric

Forster

McCarthy, Yoshida, Targett, Clasie, Davis, Rodriguez, Long

Rumours of a £21m bid for him rejected from West Brom. Always said this Summer that are main priority after Boufal should be a DM, would give us an excellent side.

Austin

Tadic - Boufal - Redmond

Carvalho - Hojbjerg

Forster

Those 2 Carvalho and Hojbjerg together would be incredible.

Austin

Tadic - Boufal - Redmond

Carvalho - Hojbjerg

Forster

Suddenly looks way stronger!

Just need someone instead of Austin and game on!

I don't think we need a "sitting" midfielder (presumably what people mean by a DM). If we signed Carvalho he would want to sit at the base of the diamond. I think we would still have the same weakness then, as we have now, with our midfield, which I get onto in a minute......

I think it's pretty clear our new formation/system is a conscious and considered approach and is presumably here to stay. In that system, the base of the diamond doesn't need to be a big brute, it's more like a pivot that acts as a positional anchor for two in front and keeps the ball moving simply and quickly. Those three, together, should form the defensive shield and we've seen that Puel likes the 2 strikers to drop very wide in defence (presumably this is to allow those three midfielders to stay quite compact and reduce the lateral distance they need to cover). In the 4-2-3-1 (or variations thereof), the 3-1 bit can often effectively be 4 forwards and be by-passed quickly, with there being more space between them and the "2", so the "2" are more important as a joint defensive shield. Romeu is fine for the demands of the base of the diamond role and I suspect Classie and even JWP could do the job pretty well with the right players in front of them. If we add to the midfield, what we really need is someone to play in the middle two of the diamond that has a bit of physicality and an engine. Someone who can run past a player with the ball and create a bit of space for themselves or pop up in the box and have a realistic chance of converting a cross. Someone who is difficult to run past for the other team. We lack athleticism more than anything in those positions at the moment IMO. I thought JWP was actually really good on Saturday when he came on but if those 2 are Davis and JWP from time to time then it's inevitable that the anchor-man will look a bit exposed.

Sissoko of Newcastle (assuming he was playing well and not half-arsed), Abu Diaby of Arsenal (assuming he wasn't even less fit than Jack Wilshere) would be the type of player I think we could do with.

I don't think we need a "sitting" midfielder (presumably what people mean by a DM). If we signed Carvalho he would want to sit at the base of the diamond. I think we would still have the same weakness then, as we have now, with our midfield, which I get onto in a minute......

I think it's pretty clear our new formation/system is a conscious and considered approach and is presumably here to stay. In that system, the base of the diamond doesn't need to be a big brute, it's more like a pivot that acts as a positional anchor for two in front and keeps the ball moving simply and quickly. Those three, together, should form the defensive shield and we've seen that Puel likes the 2 strikers to drop very wide in defence (presumably this is to allow those three midfielders to stay quite compact and reduce the lateral distance they need to cover). In the 4-2-3-1 (or variations thereof), the 3-1 bit can often effectively be 4 forwards and be by-passed quickly, with there being more space between them and the "2", so the "2" are more important as a joint defensive shield. Romeu is fine for the demands of the base of the diamond role and I suspect Classie and even JWP could do the job pretty well with the right players in front of them. If we add to the midfield, what we really need is someone to play in the middle two of the diamond that has a bit of physicality and an engine. Someone who can run past a player with the ball and create a bit of space for themselves or pop up in the box and have a realistic chance of converting a cross. Someone who is difficult to run past for the other team. We lack athleticism more than anything in those positions at the moment IMO. I thought JWP was actually really good on Saturday when he came on but if those 2 are Davis and JWP from time to time then it's inevitable that the anchor-man will look a bit exposed.

Sissoko of Newcastle (assuming he was playing well and not half-arsed), Abu Diaby of Arsenal (assuming he wasn't even less fit than Jack Wilshere) would be the type of player I think we could do with.

Or Schneiderlin.

So....have we done all our business for this window ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So,have we done all our business for this transfer window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impatient or what, waited all of 2 mins for an answer..

;)

Is it? If WBA get him for that amount, it would be decent business by them.

TBF I have only watched him about 5 times and he was pretty good not outstanding but decent enough but guess his club want a lot more than 21m+ which seems a lot on what I saw - but having just seen Bristol City getting 17m for a player they bought for 2m in the Championship I am way off!

Very good point Nick, one which hadn't occured to me I must admit.

....... we're still allowed to goad Batman, Heisenberg and Alpine tho' ? ... right ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not saying we should but a fit Wiltshire is another useful player on the left of midfield. If we were to take him I would hope we would only be paying him if he was playing and if he was injured Arsenal would have to pay, after all they need him to have playing time.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/evertons-cuco-martina-move-remains-11818159?

Scouse echo reckons saints are keen on selling Martina and loaning in a RB rather than keeping Martina. So i guess we'll see at least one in before the window shuts. Hopefully we do more than that, but there aren't many rumours in the press and the itks have been quiet for a couple of days.

So, 5th place at least if we make one more signing? I hope you are right.
Is that how it works? No wonder people are saying to bring in a load of expensive players as that would guarantee the league.

Being stronger on paper doesn't win more points does it?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/evertons-cuco-martina-move-remains-11818159?

Scouse echo reckons saints are keen on selling Martina and loaning in a RB rather than keeping Martina. So i guess we'll see at least one in before the window shuts. Hopefully we do more than that, but there aren't many rumours in the press and the itks have been quiet for a couple of days.

If we do loan a player from Arsenal, instead of Wilshere, what about Carl Jenkinson to compete with Cedric?

I honestly think we are now one player short of being stronger than last season, William would be good but I can't see it.

Can't see it, even though I think he's just the sort Wanyama replacement we need. Especially if they have turned down £21 million, we've broken our record doubt we are going to do it again.

Would love to see someone like him + someone like Bony come in, then I'd think we'd have had a great window and would have a squad capable of challenging top 5 or 6 again. Especially if you added Wilshere in there on loan and he could stay fit.

Those players look far more likely to go to West Ham or the like.

But at best I think it's one more, with the squad probably overall being slightly worse than last years.

Being stronger in reality does.

You're such a clueess ****. Being stronger in reality compared to our team/squad last year is completely irrelevant to finishing position because in case you hadn't notice you tedious troll, every other team is attempting to do exactly the same thing and at least all the traditional "big boys" have done so considerably.

Not heard barely anything from the ITK's over the last few months, don't even think there was a smiley from Guan/K,Billy in relation to Boufal.