Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

On a separate note... It's hard sometimes isn't it!? I have practically raised my nephew (and now that I'm getting old, my daughter) be a Saints fan despite all the pressure to conform with school friends by following trophy winners etc... Now Zlatan is (supposedly) heading to UTD, Gooners sign Xhaka and glamour transfers like this will continue for the big clubs over the summer.... you can understand why kids in the South are attracted to the 'big clubs'!

You had heard of Xhaka before last week then?

On a separate note... It's hard sometimes isn't it!? I have practically raised my nephew (and now that I'm getting old, my daughter) be a Saints fan despite all the pressure to conform with school friends by following trophy winners etc... Now Zlatan is (supposedly) heading to UTD, Gooners sign Xhaka and glamour transfers like this will continue for the big clubs over the summer.... you can understand why kids in the South are attracted to the 'big clubs'!

Don't get this at all. Loads of evidence (Man U, Man C, Chelsea fail, Saints, Leicester success) last season that glamour signings aren't necessarily the way to success. The right blend in a team, the right attitude and hunger to improve themselves as players, not just improve bank balances, are more important.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Isn't Ron in Portugal...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/673431/Newcastle-transfer-news-Andros-Townsend-spotted-plane-Premier-League-gossip-rumours

2+2 = 5 probably, but maybe not as obvious as it would appear...

Ron's villa is very near LVGal's at Vale do Lobo. Funnily enough ,Townsend went to the resort to do extra training in pre-season last year.

Southampton and Juventus could be involved in a swap deal this summer if a report in Gazzetta dello Sport is to be believed.

The report suggests Saints are interested in signing striker Simone Zaza and they are ready to offer Italian striker Graziano Pelle to the Serie A champions as part of the deal.

458796642-simone-zaza-and-graziano-pelle-prior-to-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QRx3y%2F7SL%2BxfxOhQ3xseQxObpXipIvut3X6ED6VtqQ2jbFerRjCo1JfYNZ5MvU8MPw%3D%3D

Southampton and Juventus could be involved in a swap deal this summer if a report in Gazzetta dello Sport is to be believed.

The report suggests Saints are interested in signing striker Simone Zaza and they are ready to offer Italian striker Graziano Pelle to the Serie A champions as part of the deal.

458796642-simone-zaza-and-graziano-pelle-prior-to-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QRx3y%2F7SL%2BxfxOhQ3xseQxObpXipIvut3X6ED6VtqQ2jbFerRjCo1JfYNZ5MvU8MPw%3D%3D

Expect Pelle's current barber to lose a customer out of this exchange too?

Every summer this "player swap deal" bull**** comes up. Honestly how many can you name that actually happened? Negotiating a deal for 1 player has a tonne of complications, an extra player/ agent/ family makes it near on impossible. Always reads well and Agent's love feeding the info to the media (who you can't blame for printing/ reporting it). It will not happen though, player swap deals simply hardly ever happen.

Every summer this "player swap deal" bull**** comes up. Honestly how many can you name that actually happened? Negotiating a deal for 1 player has a tonne of complications, an extra player/ agent/ family makes it near on impossible. Always reads well and Agent's love feeding the info to the media (who you can't blame for printing/ reporting it). It will not happen though, player swap deals simply hardly ever happen.

Sigurdsson for Vorm and Ben Davies.

Kevin Davies for Egil Østenstad

Wayne Bridge for Graeme Le Saux

Saints quoted €25m for Zaza.

Would rather keep Pelle tbh!

Fees for English teams are mad this summer so hopefully we get mega money for Mane if he did go.

According to GdS that €25m is made up of Pelle & €10m

How many starts/minutes?

Per transfermarkt

Zaza (24) in Serie A: 5 goals in 664 mins (132.8 mins per goal)

Pelle (30) in Prem: 11 goals in 2,171 mins (197.4 mins per goal)

Lots of sub appearances for Zaza skewed the stats - 9 appearances were 15 mins or less

Edited by JxgrSaint

Per transfermarkt

Zaza (24) in Serie A: 5 goals in 664 mins (132.8 mins per goal)

Pelle (30) in Prem: 11 goals in 2,171 mins (197.4 mins per goal)

Lots of sub appearances for Zaza skewed the stats - 9 appearances were 15 mins or less

How can he be worth 25m if he only played 664 minutes last season?

From what little I've seen of him (a few games for Sassuolo and a couple for Juve) Zaza looks like an extremely promising player who is closer in style of play to Osvaldo than Pelle (although I've not heard anything of him being a complete loon).

He's skillful, tricky, quick and can score spectacular goals. He's also a good age and considering what Koeman and the team managed to achieve in improving Long, he might be worth a shout.

He's certainly a more cultured finisher than Long and has similar pace but far a more consistent touch. He can also play in behind a striker and I think he has the attributes to perform a similar 'wide forward' role to the one Jay Rod used to, but starting from the right wing and cutting in on his left foot.

A few posters, myself included, thought Januzaj could be on the radar a while back. Surely Mourinho, the Grim Reaper of youth academies, would make a move away more likely for players like him. Could be one of those 'not big enough for a big club' players we sometimes go for, like Bertrand, Romeu or Cork.

I don't know about that, he got a very good deal to come here. But probably top 10 in best long term servants I'd say. One of our best signings ever. Definitely deserves his testimonial and would be great celebration of our 2018 title win!

Was it 2008 or 2009? He should get there anyway. Could well coincide with his leaving or retiring.

January 2010 he signed.

No thanks. If anything he's gone backwards since he left here, whilst we've moved on. The problem with buggering off to sit on the bench at a big club.

I agree. He made his bed, he can lie in it. Pretty much sums the problems of the PL up. People are always chasing the big bucks. He had so much time on his side, that he could have stayed with us and developed for 5 years before making his move. But no, presume it was his agent who said he must go without waiting.

Another question is, why should we help his progression only for him to return to Arsenal (presumably) a better player? Seems very detrimental to us if we do want to push on and challenge for a CL spot to help strengthen a competitor's squad. With regards to scouting him at the Toulon Cup, I would suspect that the scouts were looking at Redmond rather than Chambers. Or possible Lewis Baker but presume Chelsea would hold on for a while.