Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Nope. 1 more. (Possibly 2 depending on right-back scenario)

I think Haller would be a decent signing based on the facts and videos I've seen. Tall, fits the gap Pellé's departure left us with (meaning we can change things up if needed), he's only just 22 so has room to improve, scored 24 goals last season (albeit in Holland) and has a French link for Puel. And Utrecht have priced him at only £8 million euros. What's not to like!?! :-)

With Boufal and Redmond I'd say that makes us as strong as we could hope for after losing Mané, Pellé and Juanmi. Would be nice if it happened, Haller seems a Saints-type signing. (Inexpensive with potential.)

I think Haller would be a decent signing based on the facts and videos I've seen. Tall, fits the gap Pellé's departure left us with (meaning we can change things up if needed), he's only just 22 so has room to improve, scored 24 goals last season (albeit in Holland) and has a French link for Puel. And Utrecht have priced him at only £8 million euros. What's not to like!?! :-)

With Boufal and Redmond I'd say that makes us as strong as we could hope for after losing Mané, Pellé and Juanmi. Would be nice if it happened, Haller seems a Saints-type signing. (Inexpensive with potential.)

What you think about Gestede from Villa. Same sort of player but already played in the Premier League?

If you lose Mane, Pelle and Juanmi and sign Boufal, Redmond AND a really decent striker to start, then we've probably improved. If it's Haller, while he might do a job and end up being a good signing, I'm not sure he'd start. Think with the money we've brought in we need to be aiming higher, get a proper starter in to play with Long. Let Long and Redmond fight for that position, and Austin compete with the new striker. Plenty of games for the four of them anyway.

2 big signings of the Boufal level and you'd have a very happy positive fanbase.

But have we been linked with proper strikers? No10s/wingers yes, but strikers? I find it odd when we're playing 2 up front and probably selling rodriguez. So we have Austin, Long and Redmond adjusting to the position. Seems woefully short. Unless he wants Tadic up front?? Boufal behind Tadic and Long would actually become a very fluid 3 drifting about.

I think it's more likely that Boufal will play up front with Tadic still in the No.10 role. Read the Bleacher report's breakdown of the midfield diamond . The front two are more like inside left and inside rights, with lots of movement between the flanks and the centre. Everyone's assuming Boufal will be playing No. 10 but he's a winger who scored 12 goals last season.

I reckon Tadic will still be the first choice No. 10 with Boufal playing left of the front two but they will have the freedom to swap positions. As you say we could well have a very fluid front 3. Exciting times.

For the Ziyech watchers amongst you: there's panic in Amsterdam as Ajax plays really awful and already lost 5 points in the league and didn't qualify for the CL so now they decided to go for Ziyech where they didn't want him at first because they have some talents from the youth coming in next season. As Ziyech is a very proud person (he chose to play for Morrocco as the stupid Danny Blind didn't contact him fast enough to play for Holland) it remains to be seen if this transfer will happen. Rumour is also that Ziyech already personally agreed with Advocaat to choose for Fenerbahce. Just another few days before things will be clear...

Looks like Bas Dost is going to Sporting. Shame.

A poor man's Austin going elsewhere is a shame?

Why is everyone suggesting precisely the sort of big immobile lump like Dost and Haller that clearly won't fit the way want to play. And it's not just Puel, big lump strikers have never been part of the club's long term plans, it's now that we are building the type of attack that saints have always intended. We want something similar to what Liverpool had in 2013-14 with Suárez, Sturridge and Sterling (in style not the unobtainable quality of course). Someone like Yunus Malli that was speculated a few posts ago is more the sort of forward we are likely to sign.

What you think about Gestede from Villa. Same sort of player but already played in the Premier League?

In what world is he the same player? Gestede is nearly 6 years older, scored only 5 goals last year, is proven not to be a Premier League striker (even his own fans were saying so) and ludicrously would cost us a lot more than £8million euros. Haller has the potential, which was my point.

If today's game is anything to go by, we need reinforcements up front. Granted we need someone that can do it right now, but Haller is an inexpensive option with potential. 24 goals last season shows he knows where the net is.

In what world is he the same player? Gestede is nearly 6 years older, scored only 5 goals last year, is proven not to be a Premier League striker (even his own fans were saying so) and ludicrously would cost us a lot more than £8million euros. Haller has the potential, which was my point.

If today's game is anything to go by, we need reinforcements up front. Granted we need someone that can do it right now, but Haller is an inexpensive option with potential. 24 goals last season shows he knows where the net is.

That may be what we are known for, and possibly a reputation that the club want to uphold, but can we afford to take such a risk ?

From Puels point of view though he may see Haller as ticking a lot of the right boxes, ie French, tall athletic bloke, looks like'Henry', must be another one in the making.

It's been mentioned in the Boufal thread but as I'm pretty certain it wasn't him I thought it should be in here too. Itchen/Chapel corner where the players' box is was a very tanned guy with dark hair and quite thick facial hair, looked too old to be a youth player and I didn't recognise him at all. Was with two middle aged women, which struck me as perhaps family visiting his new club with him? I googled a few names mentioned on here and none of them matched, (Erkin, Ziyech), anyone else get a good look at him? He was in the box as I said, but not 'with' the players if you like, definitely didn't mix with them whenever I looked over.

It's been mentioned in the Boufal thread but as I'm pretty certain it wasn't him I thought it should be in here too. Itchen/Chapel corner where the players' box is was a very tanned guy with dark hair and quite thick facial hair, looked too old to be a youth player and I didn't recognise him at all. Was with two middle aged women, which struck me as perhaps family visiting his new club with him? I googled a few names mentioned on here and none of them matched, (Erkin, Ziyech), anyone else get a good look at him? He was in the box as I said, but not 'with' the players if you like, definitely didn't mix with them whenever I looked over.

http://readbundesliga.com/2016/08/27/eintracht-frankfurt-ready-for-luc-castaignos-departure/ - Luc Castaignos?

Puel just said Rodriguez may still leave on loan. That'll teach him to score.

May still be one of two signing to add energy to the squad. I'm hoping he's just massively, massively understating things rather than this naive. We desperately need two attacking signings and a DM even if Rodriguez stays.

I bet most fans would want to start Rodriguez the next couple of games now.

I'm just wondering if the club think J Rod is holding back in some way due to fear of further injury. Maybe the thought of a transfer/loan is getting him to push on?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Puel just said Rodriguez may still leave on loan. That'll teach him to score.

May still be one of two signing to add energy to the squad. I'm hoping he's just massively, massively understating things rather than this naive. We desperately need two attacking signings and a DM even if Rodriguez stays.

I bet most fans would want to start Rodriguez the next couple of games now.

Have you ever thought about going to a game instead of posting about it on here.

#saintsfc Puel: "Perhaps another player will come but nothing is signed. It is a possibility to take one or two to add energy to the squad.”

Picked this up from a BBC Solent tweet. Not sure if Claude is taking about Boufal or someone in addition to him. Hopefully it's the latter or it's a bit concerning, if not.

#saintsfc Puel: "Perhaps another player will come but nothing is signed. It is a possibility to take one or two to add energy to the squad.”

Picked this up from a BBC Solent tweet. Not sure if Claude is taking about Boufal or someone in addition to him. Hopefully it's the latter or it's a bit concerning, if not.

when he said one, maybe two I assumed the one was Boufal, who is nailed on to sign unless his medical goes wrong and the "maybe two" was in reference to a player that wasn't that far along and as such Puel was not confident enough to guarantee would join. Of course as his english is a work in progress it is hard to say.

False alarm it was Cedric's mate he just posted a picture with him on Instagram

A poor man's Austin going elsewhere is a shame?

Why is everyone suggesting precisely the sort of big immobile lump like Dost and Haller that clearly won't fit the way want to play. And it's not just Puel, big lump strikers have never been part of the club's long term plans, it's now that we are building the type of attack that saints have always intended. We want something similar to what Liverpool had in 2013-14 with Suárez, Sturridge and Sterling (in style not the unobtainable quality of course). Someone like Yunus Malli that was speculated a few posts ago is more the sort of forward we are likely to sign.

Have you seen much of Bas Dost? He'd be an excellent signing for someone like us and he'd fit our system well imo.

Have you seen much of Bas Dost? He'd be an excellent signing for someone like us and he'd fit our system well imo.

The player publicly expressed an interest in Saints as well.

Think we've missed out on a few this summer - Dost, Kapustka, Hungarian international at c£2m (whose name escapes me) for three. That's before considering DM's and CB's.

Really? I thought he was a target man in the Pelle mould not sure that fits the new mangers system at all we'd be better off with a younger version of a Defoe I'd have thought.

Really? I thought he was a target man in the Pelle mould not sure that fits the new mangers system at all we'd be better off with a younger version of a Defoe I'd have thought.

Looking at this diamond, we are playing a lot of long passes to the front either from midfield or crosses. Austin wants to run in behind and Redmond wants it to feet. We have nobody that can take the ball out of the air or hold it up a bit. Pelle would've been good in this system as well. People saying we can play the diamond like Liverpool need to look at what liverpool had. They had a fit Sturridge and Suarez. Suarez was one of the best players in the world and dropped deep to pick up the ball, beat a couple of players then either smashed it in the net or set up Sturridge. We don't have anything like that and we aren't playing in that manner anyway. Just my opinion though. Others may see it different to me.

Looking at this diamond, we are playing a lot of long passes to the front either from midfield or crosses. Austin wants to run in behind and Redmond wants it to feet. We have nobody that can take the ball out of the air or hold it up a bit. Pelle would've been good in this system as well. People saying we can play the diamond like Liverpool need to look at what liverpool had. They had a fit Sturridge and Suarez. Suarez was one of the best players in the world and dropped deep to pick up the ball, beat a couple of players then either smashed it in the net or set up Sturridge. We don't have anything like that and we aren't playing in that manner anyway. Just my opinion though. Others may see it different to me.

Agreed, you basically need a Sanchez type player to make this system work and clearly we don't have that. I think the Suarez Liverpool team (and probably the current one) would be relatively adept in this system but I can't think of many other teams in the league that could make it work to be honest.

Boufal is clearly a talented player and maybe he can be our Suarez/Sanchez but it'll take some time and there's no telling how long he'll take to adapt to a new league especially after coming back from a relatively lengthy injury.

Mane was that person for us and I fear that Puel wants Redmond to be that person too.

Problem with Redmond is he is a winger and not someone who puts his foot through the ball like a striker

does.

How many games before someone is allowed to write an opinion on something?

How recent do the games have to be?

Does watching each game online not count for anything?

I don't mind if someone disagrees with my view on a player, signing, manager, tactic. I've been on here long enough to see mixed opinions on every subject. People care to different extents, look for different things, have different types of favourite players. The number of games they go to doesn't make me listen less. We've all been around season ticket holders who talk rubbish. I was a season ticket holder myself for years and I'm sure I talked some rubbish them too. So game attendance isn't the main issue. I've always avoided the I'm a better fan than you because I go to this many games.

I can't afford to go often so I watch and I enjoy coming on here to find out what's happening, share my thoughts and see who shares them, who'll change my mind and most often, for a laugh.

I go to a few games here and there but the snobbery of people thinking they know about what happens because they went is funny because you'll have a better idea of how we played from watching it on TV as you'll have the benefits of replays for key decisions and a better view of the whole pitch, so people that watch online are probably the best opinions to listen to on how we played. :lol:

How many games before someone is allowed to write an opinion on something?

How recent do the games have to be?

Does watching each game online not count for anything?

I don't mind if someone disagrees with my view on a player, signing, manager, tactic. I've been on here long enough to see mixed opinions on every subject. People care to different extents, look for different things, have different types of favourite players. The number of games they go to doesn't make me listen less. We've all been around season ticket holders who talk rubbish. I was a season ticket holder myself for years and I'm sure I talked some rubbish them too. So game attendance isn't the main issue. I've always avoided the I'm a better fan than you because I go to this many games.

I can't afford to go often so I watch and I enjoy coming on here to find out what's happening, share my thoughts and see who shares them, who'll change my mind and most often, for a laugh.

Yet 99% of your posts are either moaning, very boring or very serious. Not quite sure I've ever seen your having a laugh routine. Although it may be your humour is lost on me and you're sitting behind your laptop right now lolling uncontrollably at all the hilarious stuff you've posted.

Amazing, pages and pages of conjecture of senseless rumours THE FACTS are we haven't F..KING SIGNED ANY ONE! since the third goalie, when we know if and when we sign a player the forum can debate what position the said person would be suitable and save us all from this endless drivel in some fantasty football game

Amazing, pages and pages of conjecture of senseless rumours THE FACTS are we haven't F..KING SIGNED ANY ONE! since the third goalie, when we know if and when we sign a player the forum can debate what position the said person would be suitable and save us all from this endless drivel in some fantasty football game

[emoji1]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

http://www.gazzettaworld.com/news/transfer-market/southampton-empoli-saponara/

Gazetta dello sport think we will make an offer for Saponara from Empoli before the window shuts. However, the article says it would be hard to convince the player to leave Italy or Empoli to sell so soon before the market shuts.

But, at least its a rumour

Edited by Bewildered