Chelsea £319

Liverpool £298

Spurs £196

Newcastle £129

Everton £126

West Ham £121

Aston Villa £116

Saints £114

This talk that we don't have to let our players go and can match wages with bigger clubs is naive. We can't. We earn about a third of the money Liverpool do. With so little we need to spread it evenly around the squad. If we put too many eggs in 1 basket the rest of the squad suffers. The method we use of buying in that £10-15m bracket to have a balanced squad is the only one likely to work. We'll continue trying to buy low sell high and hopefully grow closer to the big clubs.

I don't think many think we can match the clubs at the top of that list for wages.

But the figures for 16/17 should show much better comparable figures.

Say we get £100m, being overly simplistic it then looks like this

Man Utd £395 + £100 = £495

Man City £352 + £100 = £452

Arsenal £345 + £100 = £445

Chelsea £319 + £100 = £419

Liverpool £298 + £100 = £398

Spurs £196 + £100 = £296

Everton £126 + £100 = £226

West Ham £121 + £100 = £221

Saints £114 + £100 = £214

So yes, we are richer, but so is everyone else, so not a lot has changed when comparing against other PL teams. Compared to others on the continent, maybe it has. But then Germany have signed a mega TV deal, so they are a "new" competitor in the stupid money game.

Interested to see the post by SuperSAINT that Adnan Januzaj might be moved on by Man U. At 19 he was in the Belgium World Cup squad and although only got on the pitch for just over half of one match, its an achievement to get into the Belgium squad. It does seem that he fell out of favour at United, spent the first half of last season on loan at Borussia Dortmund and although he returned to United in Jan this year, he only had four appearances and wasn't picked by Belgium for Euro16.

Januzaj is still only 21 and has shown that he is a technically gifted player. If he's overcome his reputation for diving and is prepared to work hard, he is certainly young enough to get his career back on track. Attacking midfield is an area people are saying Saints should strengthen and this one might not be too expensive. If SFC thought they could get him to realise his potential, he could be worth a lot more in years to come.

All our income will have gone up from those figures, TV money, match day money, sponsorship and remember we'll have some extra games this year as well, guranteed 3 home games, plus the Europa money isn;t vast but all helps bump our turnover by probably another £6-8 million.

Not to mention it's bit one sided to just show turnover without expenditure, Liverpool have a massively bloated squad of in a lot of cases over paid players. They have an old stadium to renew and upgrade, the first instalment of which is £50 million and that's the first instalment.

They have the likes of Henderson, Sturridge, Countinho, Firminho, Milner are all on £100 - 120k a week, Benteke barely playing on £140k a week, Ings, Markovic, Leiva are on like £60k a week. Thank to their terrible transfer policy they have players that play 7-8 games a season are getting £60k a week.

They have wasted a huge amount of their turnover advantage compared to us, huge amounts, they only made their first profit in like 7 years in 2015 because they sold Suarez for £75 million.

We have basically got rid of most of our bloat in wages (likes of Gaston and Osvaldo etc. off the books is probably £130k a week wages alone).

I'd like to think we'd never give the likes of a Milner or a Henderson £100k a week, but we can give that to select players who are worth it and key players with the new income. We just can't afford to throw away £60k a week to squad players.

I also do think people are putting way too much stock in Redmond, will be happy to be proved wrong but at the end of the day he is an inconsistent young player who struggled to hold down a place in relegated team last year. That is not a replacement for arguably are best player.

2 signings by 9th August fine, though disappointing if it's a right back and back up GK, two signings full stop for the whole window?

Very underwhelming and would mean a squad poorer than last year, when we should be improving the squad.

Mane was consistent for the last 10 games of the season before that his form was all over the shop. His strong end to the season has helped to cover up that he was turd for much of the middle of the season. So Redmond hardly has to improve much to match four months of doing very little for the team

Mane was consistent for the last 10 games of the season before that his form was all over the shop. His strong end to the season has helped to cover up that he was turd for much of the middle of the season. So Redmond hardly has to improve much to match four months of doing very little for the team

he has to improve enough to be good enough to be a fixture in a Norwich standard side first.

I think he will

if we had a 40k stadium with an average attendance over a season of say 37k.

would we have a bigger turnover?

Depends if it covers the increased costs of a bigger stadium doesn't it. Of course if the club can convince the city council to fund the running costs from local tax papers we are laughing.....

if we had a 40k stadium with an average attendance over a season of say 37k.

would we have a bigger turnover?

Turnover means nothing in isolation...you need to factor in the cost of building it. How long before it pays back etc.

Depends if it covers the increased costs of a bigger stadium doesn't it. Of course if the club can convince the city council to fund the running costs from local tax papers we are laughing.....

indeed. but in the long term, it would give us a larger turnover/revenue.

wont happen anyway

Turnover not profit. If you add one more seat to SMS and sell it then you increase T/O. But it's a pretty meangingless metric in isolation.

he has to improve enough to be good enough to be a fixture in a Norwich standard side first.

I think he will

:rolleyes:

How he performs now has nothing to do with Norwich or is this the "new direction" let other clubs coaching staff say

if he `s good enough to play for us.....

You do talk some utter ball ocks

Forum bores me now. I come on to see ITK posts and other rumours.

The forum fanbase is as divided in its opinions (board, transfers, view of the club, ambition, players, formation, form, kit, sponsors) as much as in the cat fights that seem to take place between established posters who I guess have such a history with, and built up opinions of, other stalwarts of the forum, that they never actually post anything interesting anymore except meaningless trolling/name calling.

I don't agree with that offshoot forum that sprung up not long ago...seems like too many in-jokes for my liking but hey o.

Would just love to see some interesting threads than the Red vs Blue boxing ring of Les Reed, outgoing transfers/transfer policy etc. etc.

Sorry if this adds nothing to the whole debate...

The forum fanbase is as divided in its opinions (board, transfers, view of the club, ambition, players, formation, form, kit, sponsors) as much as in the cat fights that seem to take place between established posters who I guess have such a history with, and built up opinions of, other stalwarts of the forum, that they never actually post anything interesting anymore except meaningless trolling/name calling.

I don't agree with that offshoot forum that sprung up not long ago...seems like too many in-jokes for my liking but hey o.

Would just love to see some interesting threads than the Red vs Blue boxing ring of Les Reed, outgoing transfers/transfer policy etc. etc.

Its a fair point and I am as guilty as the next - if we sign a Mane replacement I think most would then be a bit more content - just we look a bit light with the creativity angle. Thats ignoring the 5 months he went off the boil.

Here's how I see it. Several reasons have been spouted as to the reasons Koeman left us for a team with lower league status. Money is an obvious one, but I think we could have come close to Evertons offer if we wanted to, but I also wonder if the reason why we let him go is that he did not buy into the youth policy to the extent Reed and co wanted him to.

Koeman wanted to build upon last season exploits which necessitated the club spending some serious money especially with VW, Mane and Pelle probably leaving. Reed and co wanted to go back to the old ways of concentrating on the youth policy which has rewarded us with huge profits in the past but which might adversely affect top 6 aspirations.

We have obviously gone for a Koeman replacement who is happy to buy into the youth policy and dismissing the likes of Pelligrini who didn't fit their agenda. Lets face it, Puel has come close on a couple of occasions but he is not a winner.

So basically in a nutshell I think Reed and co are prepared to sacrifice our heady heights that have been achieved of late for that of vast profit.

Make some really good signings and I might change my tune but I cant see it happening, McCarthy as a backup goalkeeper is an example.[/quote)

It's not Reeds policy it's Katarina following the wishes of her dad!

Who would you sign as a backup keeper?

Why are you ignoring the fact we offered Koeman a new contract....sort of blows your theory out of the water doesn't it.

FWIW I wanted Pellegrini too but will see what happens with CP before writing him off as a loser like you have above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good analysis.

Those club statements about bringing in "young Academy prsopects " was first made at a time after we'd sold on Walcott, Bale and Ox, and the likes of Shaw and Lallana were becoming regular first teamers, but much of their "success" was made at Championship /L1 level, which rather clouded the issue of their future " Prem. potential "

We struggled until Pochettino came, but as we improved and progressed up the table, the task became more difficult even for the established internationals in the squad let alone Academy prospects. Chambers got a chance way ahead of his time and would've been lucky have made the full squad if Clyne hadn't been injured in pre-season.

Koeman's Dutch experiences were based on the fact that many Dutch clubs are short of cash and bringing on youngsters and then " selling them on" is par for the course.

He wasn't pushed to use Academy lads whilst the First team continued to improved, and tbf...there were very few at U21 level who were really ready for Prem. football.

To his credit Matt Targett DAJFU when called upon, and JWP (still unable to impress himself on the side in a regular starting role) still spends time on the bench.

Koeman wanted to use his buys; VvD , Clasie, Tadic and Pelle and they also DAJFU on an ongoing basis.

Our reluctance to loan out players is now a thing of the past, and those over 21's (Turnbull, Stephens, Isgrove & Co.) will get the chance of more regular game time at L1 level and get chance to prove themselves, if they are to have any chance of making it at Prem. level. (Spurs loaned out Harry Kane.. 4 times before he got his chance).

IMHO Claude Puel's reputation for bringing on young talent attracted Saints' interest most, and the likes of Pellegrini (although an excellent candidate) was more used to CL football and buying in multi-million deals and not encouraging youngsters.

Hopefully we will see more youngsters coming in for a run of games, but a team who finished 6th in the Prem. can't afford to lose points whilst " experimenting with young players " just to justify an idea and " give them experience". Puel maybe able to get the balance right ?....but only time will tell

Same every Summer, just put everyone on ignore apart from Guan 2.0

I don't think many think we can match the clubs at the top of that list for wages.

But the figures for 16/17 should show much better comparable figures.

Which is kind of my point SM. Some people seem to think we can offer the wages etc that some of the big clubs dish out - we cant, we never have and we never will. If we were to do it for even one player then the rest would expect the same and as we know that path will lead to financial ruin.

As to 16/17 figures being more comparable - to a point yes as we are increasing our off field revenue/income but I doubt we will even be as high as spurs are for the 14/15 figures stated.

I think he will

I have no idea whether Redmond is equipped to replace Mane or not. But I'm certain that your notion that Redmond was not good enough to get in the Norwich first eleven is not as black and white as you make out.

Norwich were shipping goals left right and centre and I believe that Alex Neil was opting for more robust, defensive starting lineups. Redmond was utilised as a sub to inject some impetous later in games once they had attempted to set a foundation.

Re the mention of Schweinsteiger being off-loaded by Man U, it seems reasonable to assume that our club would not be in the market for a 31-year old, unless he was goalkeeper. But its reminder of what a cruel business professional football is. One moment you are feted as captain of your country's international football team and all too soon you are facing the slow decline that all footballers experience when they reach their 30s, with your club saying you are no longer wanted. Just as well that it's well-rewarded during the good years.

Its a fair point and I am as guilty as the next - if we sign a Mane replacement I think most would then be a bit more content - just we look a bit light with the creativity angle. Thats ignoring the 5 months he went off the boil.

Not aimed at you GitR but who would be seen as a Mane replacement i.e. names? As IMHO he is/was a bit unique so never going to be able to replace like for like.

Re the mention of Schweinsteiger being off-loaded by Man U, it seems reasonable to assume that our club would not be in the market for a 31-year old, unless he was goalkeeper. But its reminder of what a cruel business professional football is. One moment you are feted as captain of your country's international football team and all too soon you are facing the slow decline that all footballers experience when they reach their 30s, with your club saying you are no longer wanted. Just as well that it's well-rewarded during the good years.

Well a 190K£ (or so they say) a week 31 year old who's become a bit of sick note isn't the same as your standard heavy duty 50K a week 31 year old is he. From what I've read here and there Man U never wanted to be burdened with Schweinsteiger, Van Gaal insisted on signing him anyway. Hindsight seems to prove that the right thing to do if Van Gaal was throwing his toys out of the pram over Schweini was to throw Van Gaal out as well.

Thought he still looked very good for Germany. Maybe won't play every week again but still a good player and won't find it too hard to find a club. Strange they'd let him go, great squad player and sub to have.

Very expensive squad player and fast depreciating asset I suspect they want to cut the loses while he is fit and will still command some sort of transfer fee, was amazed they signed him last year it looked like bad business and so it has proved to be!

Thought he still looked very good for Germany. Maybe won't play every week again but still a good player and won't find it too hard to find a club. Strange they'd let him go, great squad player and sub to have.

£190K a week for a squad/sub player is a luxury Man U probably don't want to have.

Which is kind of my point SM. Some people seem to think we can offer the wages etc that some of the big clubs dish out - we cant, we never have and we never will. If we were to do it for even one player then the rest would expect the same and as we know that path will lead to financial ruin.

As to 16/17 figures being more comparable - to a point yes as we are increasing our off field revenue/income but I doubt we will even be as high as spurs are for the 14/15 figures stated.

Looking beyond the Premier League though we are more financially competitive than we were against the other top European leagues.

I have no idea whether Redmond is equipped to replace Mane or not. But I'm certain that your notion that Redmond was not good enough to get in the Norwich first eleven is not as black and white as you make out.

Norwich were shipping goals left right and centre and I believe that Alex Neil was opting for more robust, defensive starting lineups. Redmond was utilised as a sub to inject some impetous later in games once they had attempted to set a foundation.

That's a reasonable suggestion actually. And as I've pointed out to Batman, he started 24 games anyway - there are only six players (three of whom are defenders) in our squad who played more league minutes than him last season. Ultimately, I think your post will be lost on Batman who's determined to fly his 'wasn't first team at Norwich' flag in spite of the facts.

Edit: And looking at it, he played more minutes than any other attacker at Norwich anyway :lol: (Oops, Robbie Brady aside...who I'm not sure I'd put in the same attacking classification)

Edited by Donatello

Redmond is exactly the type of player you are describing.

I get what you're saying but Redmond is nowhere near the ability or skill of Mane . He may get there eventually but he certainly doesn't fill the hole left by Mane .

You think our opposition will be scared of Redmond as they were of Mane ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Is there any example of a team which has largely played its own Academy products being successful in the Premier League in recent years? Ia league which features some of the best players from all over the world, an over reliance on young English players could lead to us having a very uncompetitive team. You could see that Koeman did his best to accommodate Targett last season, even playing Bertrand behind him to cover for his defensive inadequacies, but Targett was something of a liability and I was relieved when he was dropped as he was costing us points. Perhaps I'm cynical but I get the impression that the main reason Reed wants our Academy products to feature more in the first team is to get them into the shop window as soon as possible because all of the ones who've been good enough to attract buyers in the past, like Shaw and Chambers, have been sold at the first available opportunity. Although if Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Reed and Targett had been sold this summer, rather than Mane, Wanyama and Pelle, we'd have had a much stronger squad. I doubt that any other Premier League club considered them good enough to bid for though. Personally, I'd just like to see us field the strongest team possible and that's what Koeman did most of the time last season.

Following the sale of Mane and Pelle, we look to be short of a striker. Pity we didn't go for Vincent Janssen but Carlos Bacca and Borja Baston are still available.

Not aimed at you GitR but who would be seen as a Mane replacement i.e. names? As IMHO he is/was a bit unique so never going to be able to replace like for like.

Not sure on anyone else but I would be delighted and lifted by Ox if we could get him play him down the middle behind Long

Thought he still looked very good for Germany.

Maybe won't play every week again but still a good player and won't find it too hard to find a club.

Strange they'd let him go, great squad player and sub to have.

31 year old with injury problems ?...maybe they knew something United didn't......and got him off their payroll......:smug:

I get what you're saying but Redmond is nowhere near the ability or skill of Mane . He may get there eventually but he certainly doesn't fill the hole left by Mane .

You think our opposition will be scared of Redmond as they were of Mane ?

Did you think anyone was scarred of Mane in his first season at saints? As good as Mane was when he was at his best he wasn't a very consistent player people talk like Mane was destroying teams week in and week out in the PL which he really wasn't.

Is there any example of a team which has largely played its own Academy products being successful in the Premier League in recent years? Ia league which features some of the best players from all over the world, an over reliance on young English players could lead to us having a very uncompetitive team. You could see that Koeman did his best to accommodate Targett last season, even playing Bertrand behind him to cover for his defensive inadequacies, but Targett was something of a liability and I was relieved when he was dropped as he was costing us points. Perhaps I'm cynical but I get the impression that the main reason Reed wants our Academy products to feature more in the first team is to get them into the shop window as soon as possible because all of the ones who've been good enough to attract buyers in the past, like Shaw and Chambers, have been sold at the first available opportunity. Although if Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Reed and Targett had been sold this summer, rather than Mane, Wanyama and Pelle, we'd have had a much stronger squad. I doubt that any other Premier League club considered them good enough to bid for though. Personally, I'd just like to see us field the strongest team possible and that's what Koeman did most of the time last season.

Following the sale of Mane and Pelle, we look to be short of a striker. Pity we didn't go for Vincent Janssen but Carlos Bacca and Borja Baston are still available.

I had a guess at the Leeds side in the early 2000's under O'leary (whatever happens to him?!) I believe they still (?) have the record for youngest average team age over the course of a season and they made the semis of the champs league so didn't seem to affect them too badly! I have no idea how many of that young team where from the Leeds academy though.

Did you think anyone was scarred of Mane in his first season at saints? As good as Mane was when he was at his best he wasn't a very consistent player people talk like Mane was destroying teams week in and week out in the PL which he really wasn't.

No nobody was scared of him . Mainly because he was from an overseas league .

Redmond couldn't get into a struggling Norwich team . Why people suddenly believe he can replace a top striker is beyond me .

He has potential yes but I wouldn't want him in the first team .

Yes - they were; but then again you've always been blinkered about Mané. It's a bit odd pal. Didn't he smile enough for you? Did he refuse to sign your flybe shirt?

He was usually our biggest threat even when not scoring.

Won lots of freekicks too and carried the ball forward at pace which allowed other players into the game.

Redmond is a good signing, without question, but lets not pretend Mane was some sort of in and out player for us.

Do you remember him bossing Chelsea and Arsenal (til injury) at home in his first season? Scoring the fastest ever PL hattrick? Mugging off Terry and Cahill at Stamford Bridge this season, excellent against Arsenal on Boxing Day, hattrick versus City, matchwinner against Liverpool.

Its not like he was a flat track bully, he scared the best defenders in the league.

If he did it every week he would be Messi. I certainly can't think of a player from a team below us that was anywhere near his level over the last two seasons.

No nobody was scared of him . Mainly because he was from an overseas league .

Redmond couldn't get into a struggling Norwich team . Why people suddenly believe he can replace a top striker is beyond me .

He has potential yes but I wouldn't want him in the first team .

John Terry put him in his PFA team of the season that year. Its also the reason he was linked with club-record moves away from the club after his first season.

Edited by shurlock

Won lots of freekicks too and carried the ball forward at pace which allowed other players into the game.

Redmond is a good signing, without question, but lets not pretend Mane was some sort of in and out player for us.

Do you remember him bossing Chelsea and Arsenal (til injury) at home in his first season? Scoring the fastest ever PL hattrick? Mugging off Terry and Cahill at Stamford Bridge this season, excellent against Arsenal on Boxing Day, hattrick versus City, matchwinner against Liverpool.

Its not like he was a flat track bully, he scared the best defenders in the league.

If he did it every week he would be Messi. I certainly can't think of a player from a team below us that was anywhere near his level over the last two seasons.

Quite. Even when Mane wasn't scoring, he was stretching defences and his unpredictability meant opposition managers found him a headache and hence became sought after.

That's why you can't replace him directly as such. Redmond should be judged on his own merits - £11 for a 22 year old with pace to burn, 2 footed and can score a goal, what's not to like? Yes, we'll have improve his end product but if we didn't, he'd cost double.

What is frustrating is that if any poster dares to say that we urgently need an AMC to help replace some of the creative output and goal threat, they are shouted down. I think our owners are great and long may they continue, and very happy with the Board and Reed. But I don't agree that we only need a back up Gk and a RB. That's madness with the extra games.

I suspect the club know this too and there is brinkmanship with selling clubs for an AMC and another striker.

Charlie we have this every summer people become fixated on a player who has left and how we will never replace him and that who ever comes in won't be as good a yet here we are still doing well. Mane is a very good player but lets not try and make out he was carrying the whole team last season either. Lallana, Lovern, Clyne, Morgan, Toby even Lambert all players that people were saying we would struggle without and we survived some might say even prospered without them because football is a team game. I actually feel sorry for Redmond the bloke is going have to spend the whole season being compared to Mane because so many fans seem to think we have to replace players with exact clones.