Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I don't know anything about him so no idea I will wait and see what they are like first before slaughtering them maybe worth you trying that

Jayrod was awful pre season but good cameo 15 minutes on Saturday.

Austin in this formation is wasted - Long looks knackered are you happy to risk those 3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well I wouldn't excited going off the feedback from those who see him regularly and follow saints.

that is hardly slaughtering a player who does not even belong to our club

well I wouldn't excited going off the feedback from those who see him regularly and follow saints.

that is hardly slaughtering a player who does not even belong to our club

So "decent at best" is praise.?

Wasted anyway as nothing concrete happening.

Think a couple were saying they wasnt impressed with him last week and that ziyech was the one that coluld cut it in the prem. . Was hopin we would have gone for a marqee striker like lorenzo insigne, think even remy could have been good for us,pacy strikers would fit the diamond better

So you take notice of a couple who you have no idea who they are and do not know their knowledge.

I have no idea what he is like or whether SFC are going to purchase him but I do think we need another striker as I am not that confident about Austin Long and JRod.

Two have been injured and not played very much football in the last year and the other one does not appear to be that clinical

Are we assuming that if we get Haller in it is to replace Long, Austin or Rodriguez? Maybe it's more of a case of the club wanting to bring in younger players who can be developed into star players over the next couple of seasons. That to my mind is consistent with the ethos of the club and the disagreement that Koeman is rumoured to have had with the club. As I understood it Koeman wanted investment in already established talent while the club did not match his 'ambition' prefering to mostly replace established players with one or two up and coming talented players.

Whether that is an effective strategy can only really be assessed in the longer term.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, maybe it is the system we play. it doesn't suit him at all, and he was knackered by half time on Saturday, looked way off the pace.

For me:

- Not quick enough to be a striker to play off the shoulder

- Not strong enough to hold the ball up

- Doesn't work hard enough to force errors from a defence

I'm hoping he improves, but personally I think he is worse than Long and J-Rod in terms of impact, even Redmond looks more dangerous than him and he's not even a striker.

Yes, I'm far from convinced Austin isn't another Michael Ricketts: a lower league quality striker who had one freak season in the top flight.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but he looks unfit, slow, and his all round general play is pretty shabby, to say the least.

But like all strikers, maybe he just needs a goal or two to spark him into life.

So you take notice of a couple who you have no idea who they are and do not know their knowledge.

I have no idea what he is like or whether SFC are going to purchase him but I do think we need another striker as I am not that confident about Austin Long and JRod.

Two have been injured and not played very much football in the last year and the other one does not appear to be that clinical

The posters were van hanegem who has been quite knowledgable in the past on Dutch players and Dutch Saint. At least they watch Dutch football so they probably know more then most of us ;)

Anyway there's no need to get excited about every signing the ones that deserve it like bouffal and van dijk fine but it seems like some people get excited with anyone.

Is this what the black box came up with?

A bit underwhelming, but could add something I suppose. Obviously can't judge just from a YT vid though...

Didn't the black box go to tottingham? Only evidence I've seen since RK and CP came are their recommendations. Not that I know but this famed black box seemed to be operated by one man who has since left.

Indeed has any of the club officials mentioned it publicly? It is us fans who think we are something special in recruitment. Didn't Ramirez and Osvaldo go through the magic box?

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

Didn't the black box go to tottingham? Only evidence I've seen since RK and CP came are their recommendations. Not that I know but this famed black box seemed to be operated by one man who has since left.

Indeed has any of the club officials mentioned it publicly? It is us fans who think we are something special in recruitment. Didn't Ramirez and Osvaldo go through the magic box?

As did Mayuka, Forren, Taider Tadanari so it has plus and minuses.

I maybe wrong but the "black box" is used by Southampton and now Tottenham?

Coincidence that arguably both have had bad transfer windows so far. I wonder if too much reliance has gone on the box and maybe old school scouting has been limited?

Certainly from last seasons top 6 us and Spurs look weaker (squad wise) from last May. Everyone else has improved some significantly

It was only the season before last, 14/15. Since then he's been largely injured but still scored about 6 in 10 for QPR last season aswell, albeit in the championship. Shall we write Jay off as being **** too seeing as he hasn't scored regularly for over 2 seasons now?

Adrian has written off Jay, fwiw.

I think most PL clubs have databases and projector screens now, so I'd be very surprised if the main difference between our scouting software and theirs wasn't just that they haven't bothered trying to brand it and do PR around it.

Coincidence that arguably both have had bad transfer windows so far. I wonder if too much reliance has gone on the box and maybe old school scouting has been limited?

Certainly from last seasons top 6 us and Spurs look weaker (squad wise) from last May. Everyone else has improved some significantly

I'll bite. Saints haven't had a bad window. There.

Also makes me laugh about people complaining about a player we haven't even signed yet. Having a few options in each position is no bad thing and this player looks decent in a fairly poor league but he still has to get the ball on target which he can do by his 1 in 2 goal rate. 9 in 14 for France isn't shabby by people will find fault I suppose. I think he could be an exciting prospect.

I'll bite. Saints haven't had a bad window. There.

Also makes me laugh about people complaining about a player we haven't even signed yet. Having a few options in each position is no bad thing and this player looks decent in a fairly poor league but he still has to get the ball on target which he can do by his 1 in 2 goal rate. 9 in 14 for France isn't shabby by people will find fault I suppose. I think he could be an exciting prospect.

Hi Ash,

Assuming we sign nobody else would you describe our transfer window as HIT or MISS?

And do you think we have a stronger squad than we did in May?

Genuine question no agenda - just curious to your thoughts as you seem a decent poster and I like you (as a friend)

I don't think we'll sign any before the deadline. Business done.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I hope we sign a Defensive midfielder and a striker - if not we have been badly weakened by Les Reed.

.....and a decent manager would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ash,

Assuming we sign nobody else would you describe our transfer window as HIT or MISS?

And do you think we have a stronger squad than we did in May?

Genuine question no agenda - just curious to your thoughts as you seem a decent poster and I like you (as a friend)

:lol: you crack me up. Ok, I think we have bought 3 players that can go straight into the starting and a back up in Pied which has gone wrong. I think experience wise we are weaker but with one more signing of a striker that can compete for a starting place I would say we're as strong as this time last season. Arguably I would say the squad is stronger. Probably not as strong as may but we might be surprised.

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/southampton-in-gesprek-met-fc-utrecht-over-haller.htm

(translation by me, apologize for inadequacies) " Southampton is negotiating a transfer from Sébastien Haller with FC Utrecht. The English club would like to enroll the striker, but has not put a concrete offer on the table yet.

That will happen though. Southampton will have to pay between seven and ten million Euros for Haller, whose has a contract until mid 2019.(...)

With Southampton Haller should be the successor of Graziano Pellè, who went to China. The club' s new manager, Claude Puel, knows Haller well and has his sights put on his arrival. Haller made an impression on Puel with his games for Young France.

Haller has not spoken yet with him, but he is eager to move to Southampton. His friend and agent Loïc Gustan did have talks with Southampton management's about the plans and held a good feeling about it.

22 yoer old Haller now focusses on Southampton only. He cancelled talks with AS Monaco and does not want to go to Newcastle, because the club has been relegated. The previously interested Sporting Lisboa choose Bas Dost.

If Southampton and FC Utrecht do not come to a deal, then Haller stays in the Netherlands and he will try to be transferred in the winter."

You're born with speed and Haller wasn't. Saints don't do average. Tadic is too slow, but this is compensated by his immense technical ability and vision.

Saints are looking for players born with the raw material.

Its not as simple as that. Its also critical that the "first period of speed development" is maximised which for boys is between 7-9. Linear, lateral and multi-directional speed should be developed and the duration of the repetitions should be less than 5 seconds. It is also about recognising the onset of Peak Height Velocity (growth), which is influenced by genetics and environmental factors (climate, cultural & social), as a reference point for the design of training programs which on average is 14 for boys. Get these stages correct and you have great potential. To use a cooking analogy, you could purchase the best raw materials in the world but if you dont know how to prepare them, the mix and how to cook and for how long you can undercook, or burn (out) quite easily!!

But I get what you mean......Saints are looking for players who hit most if not all of the important indicators. Vision, of the 3 factors you mention re Tadic is a learnt/trained skill.

So if not Haller...who?

Okay, I've looked at Haller's Wikipedia and am prepared to approve this signing.

Hoping for someone else - defensive cover, an Toby figure who can play CB and defensive mid. But maybe too much to ask. Come on Les you massive di ck.

Does our black box have a "manager nationality" filter on in

We seemed to sign a lot of Dutch players whilst koeman was here

Now we seem to be signing French players

Genuine question, obviously the manager has players in mind

More likely is that we have a shortlist of players for a particular position which we then discuss. Clearly at that point we would be more likely to go for players that the manager knows the most as it's less of a risk.

I'm sure I read that the black box process involves Les and the manager deciding what the squad needs position wise. Then the black box provides the name and details of half dozen players in that position that suit and then the manger tells Les which of those options he prefers. It is possible a manager will be attracted to players he knows of his own nationality it's also possible the whole thing is a load of bollix and the manger just tells the club who he wants...most likely it's somewhere in between.

Just seen this clip on in an article from Newcastle Chronicle, I've reformed my opinion of his potential after seeing the last goal scored:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-sebastien-haller-you-need-11766777

Would prefer Gabbiadini though, although at £20m not likely to happen especially as Everton look in pole position.

More likely is that we have a shortlist of players for a particular position which we then discuss. Clearly at that point we would be more likely to go for players that the manager knows the most as it's less of a risk.

Martina, Pied, Clasie, Pelle. I'd be amazed if they were on our shortlists rather than just being the picks of managers

The black box has over 200 players in it covering all positions and ages ie now and future with full profiles both football and personal. The choice for player is made by small selection committee but if there is a player in it that the Manager knows his influence is usually enough for the club to follow up. That is the reason for a lot of nationalities from the Manager's previous country. That is also why the club usually say ....we have been tracking for a while.

AC-10 will confirm as he has seen it I believe. So has a good friend of mine.

....and of course, it's good for them to have players who they can speak to in their own mother tongue.....(or father's tongue) :D

Mitchell quit Spuds you fool.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10532018/mauricio-pochettino-upset-over-paul-mitchells-tottenham-departure

Actually I said I wouldn't want the club to be relying on his fitness and didn't think he could be treated as a regular option until he proved he could still do it. I made it clear he shouldn't be written off either, and thought he'd benefit from a short loan to the championship playing for a month. But believe whatever gets you by.

I stand corrected :thumbup: You said he wasn't a viable option and that we should prepare for life without him since he has zero pace (hence the erroneous conclusion).

Edited by Donatello

Its not as simple as that. Its also critical that the "first period of speed development" is maximised which for boys is between 7-9. Linear, lateral and multi-directional speed should be developed and the duration of the repetitions should be less than 5 seconds. It is also about recognising the onset of Peak Height Velocity (growth), which is influenced by genetics and environmental factors (climate, cultural & social), as a reference point for the design of training programs which on average is 14 for boys. Get these stages correct and you have great potential. To use a cooking analogy, you could purchase the best raw materials in the world but if you dont know how to prepare them, the mix and how to cook and for how long you can undercook, or burn (out) quite easily!!

But I get what you mean......Saints are looking for players who hit most if not all of the important indicators. Vision, of the 3 factors you mention re Tadic is a learnt/trained skill.

So if not Haller...who?

Hi Mark! Enjoyed your reply! Berahino fits perfectly. We are looking for a player with lightning pace. That's why Townsend was on the list for a long time. I'm happy with the squad, but Berahino is the icing on the cake.