• Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Romeu
    • Rodriguez

A strangely disappointing win!!

An interesting oxymoron!

I have to disagree - no win is disappointing. It would have been nice to see a couple more goals, but JRod got a risk-free run out and we scored 3 goals.

If we could be "disappointed" like that every week I'd be a strangely happy man.

good 1st half. apart from long, we look pretty average up front.

2nd half was poor. but no need to go all out to win when they are that bad

Long was my MoM.

Vic good

Defence good - hardly tested

thought the game completely and utterly passes clasie by. He was awful on corner duty. and this would have been one of the easiest he will get

Pelle was A LOT worse when long went off. his static nature is highlighted in that sense. Took his goal well.

really disappointed Rodriguez only came on with 10 mins to go.

a good win without having to play that well.

they are utterly terrible and are going down

Long was my MoM.

Vic good

thought the game completely and utterly passes clasie by. He was awful on corner duty. and this would have been one of the easiest he will get

Pelle was A LOT worse when long went off. his static nature is highlighted in that sense. Took his goal well.

Good summary, though I thought Mane played well stuck out on the right. Had a hand in all three goals and set up two gilt edged chances for Tadic and Long.

Solid result. Don't really get the criticism of Clasie or Pelle. Felt both had decent games. Against better teams Clasie's defensive abilities will be more tested but thought he zipped the ball around nicely. Long was top quality again setting the tone with the early goal. Terrible touch for the assist for Pelle though. Wish i could see what would have been the result last week if Long had been available to cause problems for Leicester centre backs. Mane was good once again, on another day he would have got a goal to add to his good play. As for Newcastle, a terrible defence with Shelvey completely anonymous in the holding role. Amazing watching the difference in a Shelvey who scored a cracker against us for Swansea last year and this disinterested player.

Part of me doesn't want Newcastle to go down because we have such an excellent record against them.

Pelle has scored or assisted 7 of our last 8 goals so he is doing fine.

We played really well first half, aided by a woeful Newcastle and especially Steven Taylor who was as bad as Mike Williamson the last couple of years.

Shane put in a trademark Long performance- running was good and he got a nice goal but his touch also let him down at times and we could have scored more.

Thought Wanyama (excellent) and Clasie (improved from last few games) bossed the midfield despite being outnumbered.

Great to see Jay back too and he looked sharp.

Only negative was the total non-performance of JWP when he came on (that sub gave them a bit of initiative for 15mins as we had nobody running in behind).

Koeman said after that Austin might have a meniscus injury which is a blow if he ends up needing surgery. It hasn't happened for him after that dream debut goal.

Long was my MoM.

Vic good

No way long mom. Pelle was superb throughout. Long great start but then made a few errors in possession. Mane mom for me was v good.

Easy game. Never got out of second gear. Newcastle were woeful, so much for sitting back and frustrating us and trying to nick it, like they haven't done all season, what good that would do them seeing as they need about 10 goal swing in gd. Sat there and counted 7 players bombing forward at one point, they have some decent players but as a team they are poor. Long played well, as did Pelle and Mane scared them to death. 4 points off 4th, great day.

it showed the moment Long went off.

It was an odd sub in terms of the attributes we added and lost, but don't think Long was totally on it today. Koeman said he felt dizzy second half and he wasn't as good on the ball as he has been of late.

JWP was absolutely anonymous when he came on - in hindsight it would possibly have been good to swap Jay for Long and keep them pushed back.

I didn't get to watch the game today, but it sounds like it was a straightforward win against a very poor team. Shame we couldn't make it 4-0 for the third season in a row, but it's nice to finally beat one if the bottom 3 teams at home after the very disappointing performances against Villa and Sunderland.

Still only 4 points off Citeh in 4th but with their games in hand I think it's unlikely we will make up that gap now with the fixtures we have got left. Our target now should be to overtake West Ham for 6th to guarantee Europa League next season. Can't see us doing any better than that really.

Pelle has scored or assisted 7 of our last 8 goals so he is doing fine.

We played really well first half, aided by a woeful Newcastle and especially Steven Taylor who was as bad as Mike Williamson the last couple of years.

Shane put in a trademark Long performance- running was good and he got a nice goal but his touch also let him down at times and we could have scored more.

Thought Wanyama (excellent) and Clasie (improved from last few games) bossed the midfield despite being outnumbered.

Great to see Jay back too and he looked sharp.

Only negative was the total non-performance of JWP when he came on (that sub gave them a bit of initiative for 15mins as we had nobody running in behind).

Koeman said after that Austin might have a meniscus injury which is a blow if he ends up needing surgery. It hasn't happened for him after that dream debut goal.

Nightmare second half of the season for Austin. Early on he was doing his normal thing, scoring something like 10 goals in 12 games for QPR (or close to this). Then he got the hamstring and never seems to have recovered. Perhaps they should just shut him down and start fresh next season.

It felt like the early goal made us realise we would cruise, fans and players alike, and the intensity was never really there. Predictably unfair criticism of Pelle as usual, thought he was brilliant, nice finish for his goal and some great touches to bring others into play, but most of all an absolutely sublime directed header/flick on to put Long in behind, really hope they show it on MOTD tonight. Long's energy was a huge loss when he got replaced, wonder if the clash with Darlow affected him more than it looked? Clasie's delivery from set pieces was absolutely woeful, as was 99% of his passing, and Wanyama's wasn't much better in the first half but he looked like a completely different beast in the second half and I loved his reaction to his goal, you can tell he has been frustrated by going all season without one and it seemed like the team were delighted for him. A strange, but good day at the office! Can't we play Newcastle at home every week..?

I didn't get to watch the game today, but it sounds like it was a straightforward win against a very poor team. Shame we couldn't make it 4-0 for the third season in a row, but it's nice to finally beat one if the bottom 3 teams at home after the very disappointing performances against Villa and Sunderland.

Still only 4 points off Citeh in 4th but with their games in hand I think it's unlikely we will make up that gap now with the fixtures we have got left. Our target now should be to overtake West Ham for 6th to guarantee Europa League next season. Can't see us doing any better than that really.

We only got 4 points last season from the fixtures we have left. We need 10 points just to match last seasons final total and to stand any slim chance of another European tour.

Long was my MoM.

Vic good

Got to agree with the bits in bold. Just cannot see what Clasie offers other than hard work and getting stuck in which is not enough at this level, especially being so small. A more experienced JWP minus deadball ability.

Newcastle are utterly 1 star. The worst team I've seen this year bar Villa who I think are the worst team I have ever seen in the prem.

Got to agree with the bits in bold. Just cannot see what Clasie offers other than hard work and getting stuck in which is not enough at this level, especially being so small. A more experienced JWP minus deadball ability.

Newcastle are utterly 1 star. The worst team I've seen this year bar Villa who I think are the worst team I have ever seen in the prem.

I thought villa offered more tbh

Clasie has attributes JWP doesn't and will never have: tenacity & desire to win duels being the obvious ones.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Clasie has attributes JWP doesn't and will never has: tenacity & desire to win duels being the obvious ones.

They are the same type of player - small and uninspiring midfield workers. You may well be correct that Clasie shows "more tenacity and desire to win duels" but he can't deliver a decent dead ball and JWP can.

They are the same type of player - small and uninspiring midfield workers. You may well be correct that Clasie shows "more tenacity and desire to win duels" but he can't deliver a decent dead ball and JWP can.

JWP needs to develop his game to offer more than set plays otherwise he will just remain a sub option later in games.

Clasie has attributes JWP doesn't and will never have: tenacity & desire to win duels being the obvious ones.

Clasie much better defensively aswell and his corners were good today.

The post match bewilderment reflected in this thread seems about right to me as a summary. What was that all about? I'm looking forward to The True Geordie's take on it. The Toon are really bad 'though, worse even than Villa on this showing.

Wanyama was my MotM for his total control of the centre of the park and his avoidance of the mandatory yellow card. JWP was awful, simply woeful today he just seemed unable to get to grips with any aspect of the game. Why they persist with him is anybody's guess. Romeu was clearly a better option when Long had to be withdrawn.

Negative comments about Clasie are unfair, he played solidly today and was always providing room for the outball from the back four, still some people on here seem to have a mindset that he is lightweight and nothing on this earth will make them see anything good in the lad.

Clasie was also one of the trio at fault for letting Townsend inside to shoot. He didn't have a great game today but he's a perfectly good player. Got a bit too excited getting forward at times but when he was in position he was blocking off service to Perez and Mitrovic very well.