Player of the Season

Bananaman

Long has only scored 8 PL goals which, whilst he has been excellent since December, rules him out of winning the main prize for me. He just isn't quite clinical enough.

It has to be Van Dijk by a mile. After him and Long it is hard to make a convincing case for anyone, especially in midfield.

That shows that it has been a strange season. Last year probably 5 players could have had genuine claims.

Van Dijk has been classy, consistent and has settled from day one unlike all our other signings from last summer. None of the others would make many top 5s even.

Also has played every minute in the league since he joined I think.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Van the Man for me too.

Not only he is our best outfield player - by some distance - but methinks he could probably walk into ANY squad in this division. Furthermore, having now earned ourselves a 'selling club' reputation I fully expect the club will have to spend much of the summer fending off the 'usual supects' who will surely want a player of this calibre.

All season i've thought it was VVD, but i've voted for Shane Long just because the guy has been hugely important to us and has given it everything, plus he probably never gets the chance to win an award like this whereas Van Dijk will have a career full of seasons like this one.

Forster for me - changed our season when he came back and all those clean sheets, without which we would be lower half of the table. Just imagine if he was available for the full season!

VVD a close second.

All season i've thought it was VVD, but i've voted for Shane Long just because the guy has been hugely important to us and has given it everything, plus he probably never gets the chance to win an award like this whereas Van Dijk will have a career full of seasons like this one.

apart from winning the player of the year award at reading a few years ago

quite a patronising comment though, well done

VVD for me as well. Saw him in his first game for us against WBA, a dull 0-0 but he stood out a mile. Completely outshone everyone else on the pitch and has continued to do so, knocking in a few goals along the way. The way he can bring the ball out of defence like a seasoned attacking midfielder is amazing and since he has done it, it looks like, to me, Fonte has done the same occasionally. Always seems to have much more time on the ball than anyone else and the skills and composure to get out of a tricky situation. An amazing first season for us and I have no doubt that he'll be playing for us next season, don't think we'll accept any offers for him at all and he comes across as the sort of player who has his head screwed on and not have it independently moving around other clubs willy-nilly!

apart from winning the player of the year award at reading a few years ago

quite a patronising comment though, well done

In a side that didn't really do much, this will mean much more.

And it's only patronising if you view it that way, get over it. Van dijk will perform better through his career than Shane Long has/will do, i don't believe for a second you disagree.

And it's only patronising if you view it that way, get over it. Van dijk will perform better through his career than Shane Long has/will do, i don't believe for a second you disagree.

Isn't the idea that your POTS is the player who has been best in the season, rather than a sympathy vote?

I bet Messi and Ronaldo are glad you don't run the Balon d'Or.

I'd go for VVD but surprised more aren't going for Frazer Forster - he did rather turn our season round when he returned

You say that, but there was only really one game in that 6-match clean sheet run (away at Arsenal) where he really stood out. In the other 5 games he had very little to do thanks to the defenders in front of him. And when the run came to an end, questions had to be asked of Forster for some of the goals he let in (the Chelsea game for instance).

That's why I'm going for Van Dijk. He has been solid and consistent ever since he signed, and not had a single bad game that I can remember.

Isn't the idea that your POTS is the player who has been best in the season, rather than a sympathy vote?

I bet Messi and Ronaldo are glad you don't run the Balon d'Or.

I'm definitely voting a little more with heart than head, but I honestly think he fully deserves it.

why will this mean more to him?

maybe the award at reading will mean more as it was in a season where he was the number 1 player, let alone striker at the club and had an incredible scoring record that year

I hold the championship season in far higher regard than this one. But this season should mean more, right?

Edited by Batman

Interesting that last year Fonte was getting all the praise for Alderweireld being brilliant, yet this year Van Dijk is getting all the praise - so what's Fonte been worse at?

After all the years he's been with us, he gets taken a bit for granted. But, we'd probably miss him more than any other player, as we did this season in that 6-1 league cup defeat to Liverpool. Even Lovren used to get most of the credit for our strong central defence. Then it was Alderweireld and now it's van Dijk. But, nearly every time one of them had to play without Fonte alongside him, we shipped loads of goals.

After all the years he's been with us, he gets taken a bit for granted. But, we'd probably miss him more than any other player, as we did this season in that 6-1 league cup defeat to Liverpool. Even Lovren used to get most of the credit for our strong central defence. Then it was Alderweireld and now it's van Dijk. But, nearly every time one of them had to play without Fonte alongside him, we shipped loads of goals.

Last year it was most definitely Fonte getting all the plaudits, whilst Alderweireld was being better than any defender in years and barely getting a mention...

Long - it's taken us a while to realise what he brings to the team as I don't think his game has changed much over the season, it just seems that its only recently that we've really noticed

He may have only got 8 goals but he is a disruptive player who puts pressure on defenders and goalkeepers.....if Pelle and Mane knew where the goal was he might have a few more assists to his name aswell!