Saints vs Man City - Build up

Lighthouse

Well, for CL qualification, the better bet is League, but they are 2 games/wins away from being CL winners/Champions. You go for that!!! ..and let the chips fall where they may for League. You rest players on Saturday.

As other said, especially if you are MP, heading out the door. You work toward a rested, full strength squad/players on the Semi second leg. Everything else doesn't matter.

I reckon they will be resting all of their players on Saturday ..... we are playing them on Sunday ;-)

good result for us, now I think they will rest the likes of de bruyne and aguero to not bottle it at the bernabeu also silva pulled a hammy in the game I think.

still gonna be a tough ask to stop sterling, the new teenage striker of theirs or getting through kompany and otamendy or hart

I reckon they will be resting all of their players on Saturday ..... we are playing them on Sunday ;-)
Doh!

Indeed.

City apparently asked for the game to get moved to Saturday, but it got rejected.
Seems like a reasonable request. Other Leagues seem to bend over backwards to accommodate their teams involved in other competitions. I mean this is the CL semi-finals! You think it would be in the leagues interest to help City out. Doesn't adversely affect us one way or the other either.

What gives? I am sure the extra day of rest would be helpful to Man City (after getting smashed by us). :D

Well, for CL qualification, the better bet is League, but they are 2 games/wins away from being CL winners/Champions. You go for that!!! ..and let the chips fall where they may for League. You rest players on Saturday.

As other said, especially if you are MP, heading out the door. You work toward a rested, full strength squad/players on the Semi second leg. Everything else doesn't matter.

Exactly. I don't understand the logic of prioritising qualifying for next year's competition over actually winning the bloody thing, especially when you're only two matches away. Yes, I know, money, but City are hardly paupers.

Er, League. Obviously. They'll finish top four.

I agree league but it's not so obvious. If United win their game in hand and (unlikely) beat Leicester, and a weakened City lose to Saints, they're out of the top 4. Even a United draw with Leicester means only 1 point in it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Last nights result really couldnt have been better for us.

I cant see them not resting Aguero, KDB, Yaya (Who should be back for the 2nd leg), Kompany & Navas - also no Silva.

Hart

Zabaleta Mangala Otamendi Kolarov

Sterling Delph fernando Nasri

Iheanacho Bony

would be my guess - need pace in the wings against this team seeing as Sterling and Nasri can't, or won't defend.

I'm guessing Woy could be at this game seeing as there's a few England contenders, hopefully Forster has another blinder and Joe Hart has a mare!

Firstly, we could score 8 and Roy would still go with Hart in France. Secondly, I don't want Forster having anything do do with that team and attracting even more interest in summer.

Surely the priority has to be the cup? Two wins away from what they have spent a fortune trying to win...no brainer!

Nope. The Premier League is always a priority. I'm surprised they haven't engineered an exit from the Cup at a much earlier stage.

Not sure they will go too weak as they need CL football and their game after ours is Arsenal.

Also big difference between 3rd and 4th qualifier wise.

This would be true if Pellegrini was still the manager next season but, I'm sure all he cares about at the moment is the CL, not prioritising a top 4 finish.

Not sure they will go too weak as they need CL football and their game after ours is Arsenal.

Also big difference between 3rd and 4th qualifier wise.

Seems like they'll go fairly weak from Pellegrini's comments last night.

This would be true if Pellegrini was still the manager next season but, I'm sure all he cares about at the moment is the CL, not prioritising a top 4 finish.

He will be told by the Club what the priorities are.

They will rest players for sure but it won't be like the Chelsea cup game.

Virtually all the players they select would get in our first choice team.

He will be told by the Club what the priorities are.

They will rest players for sure but it won't be like the Chelsea cup game.

Virtually all the players they select would get in our first choice team.

This. People are hugely overestimating this - whatever team he sends out we will be in a game.

Who remembers that weakened team Everton put out only a couple of weeks ago?

This. People are hugely overestimating this - whatever team he sends out we will be in a game.

I don't think anyone's doubting it will be a tough game. They could rest their entire first 11 and still have a better team on paper.

The point is we have a better chance if Silva, KDB, Toure and Aguero don't play.

Yes. And each of them will want to prove their worth to the incoming manager. So expect a very competitive contest.

Going to be a tough game, no matter what team they put out. They will be looking for 3 points whether Arsenal win, lose or draw. We need more points on the board to hold onto 7th to the end of the season as Chelsea have a game in hand. Yes, there could be goals. Statistically so, as few games involving Saints are bore draws. Hold onto your hats, this could be a goal fest.

reading the bluemoon forums is interesting - 50/50 as to whether they will win, and most in favour of prioritizing league over CL as many think it's their best chance of qualifying for next year. bit strange really to prioritize the league for next year, when this year you are already in the final stages of the competition that is the reason for priotirizing the league!

reading the bluemoon forums is interesting - 50/50 as to whether they will win, and most in favour of prioritizing league over CL as many think it's their best chance of qualifying for next year. bit strange really to prioritize the league for next year, when this year you are already in the final stages of the competition that is the reason for priotirizing the league!

I can certainly see that POV from a financial, boardroom position but it's a bit odd coming from fans.

If I was a big team supporter, in City's current situation, I'd want to go hell's bells for a Champions League win. Only Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool have won it in the last 30 years, you'd want bragging rights over that lot as a fan.

I think if someone offered me the ultimatum - Win this years Champions League but you don't qualify for next year's competition (I know in reality you would) I'd take that as a fan.

I can certainly see that POV from a financial, boardroom position but it's a bit odd coming from fans.

If I was a big team supporter, in City's current situation, I'd want to go hell's bells for a Champions League win. Only Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool have won it in the last 30 years, you'd want bragging rights over that lot as a fan.

I think if someone offered me the ultimatum - Win this years Champions League but you don't qualify for next year's competition (I know in reality you would) I'd take that as a fan.

Exactly.

If someone said to Leicester in 2013- you can win the league but your following three seasons will be in 17th place- I think every single one of us would take it.

But they'll never have more than 25% chance of winning it at this stage (4 other just as competent teams left in it) whereas they can make top 4 finish all but certain if they put their strongest team out in their next couple of league matches.

I don't personally disagree with what you're saying, but it's not a completely crazy position to take the other view - particularly with the negative signals of not making the CL. A lot of the people above are making the assumption that if they prioritise the CL then they will then win it, which is far from the case and there are serious costs to going for it.

Although he';s part of a club structure that has a goal/strategy for the next few years, Pellegrini is leaving at the end of the season. No matter how much boardroom pressure there may be to favour a high league position (not really sure if this is true or not), at the end of the day he is picking the team. Surely he'd want to go out on a bang by having a good stab at champions league, rather than leaving the club in a good situation for next season when he will not even be manager anymore..

Chances are slim, but then again Real Madrid have to win the next leg if any goals are scored in the game. Athletico already 1-0 up but from last year's Porto experience when everyone said munich were gonners, Guardiola pretty much shut everyone up by thrashing them at home. So who knows - a home victory against bayern to go into the second leg might not mean so much. Still, better than RM having won and Munich having won in terms of city's cup dreams.

I really do hope we manage to do oneon them. Kolarov and Zabaleta deserve to have a good send off from City by having their arses kicked by Mane/Tadic/Cedric/Bertrand. Hopefully Long can run the socks off 60m pounds worth of defenders and Van Dijk will show Bony that good premier league defending can contain players of his level.

It will be cracking atmosphere sunday. bring it on!

Imagine how smug MP would feel if he was booted out of the cup winning the UCL, especially if it was against Bayern. City will finish top 4 but even if they didn't they would prefer the UCL trophy anyway. But as others have said, even if a few players were rested the ones coming in will be decent and raring to go. Still going to be a tough game.

Imagine how smug MP would feel if he was booted out of the cup winning the UCL, especially if it was against Bayern. City will finish top 4 but even if they didn't they would prefer the UCL trophy anyway. But as others have said, even if a few players were rested the ones coming in will be decent and raring to go. Still going to be a tough game.

better a fully fit zabaleta than a fully fit sagna, though. and a fully fit navas over a fully fit silva. same for bony over aguero, delph over toure, etc. I think we stand a solid chance at beating City's second choice 11. it contains about six players > 30, and players like delph and bony who last season were playing for villa/swansea..

Seems to me they'd be crazy not to rest their top players.

It's a bit odd to prioritise next year's UCL over this year's (this could be their best chance to actually win the Champions League in many years)

Furthermore, they are pretty damned likely to end up in the top four even if they lose to us. Perhaps they will further weaken their line up if either Arsenal slip up v Norwich or Man Utd are failing to beat Leicester.

Any streams for Man City tonight?

Sick of the BT Sport Europe blackout! Viewing figures have been appalling and that's not because people don't want to watch is it.

Really dont get your point. If people want to watch it they would surely?!?! Are you implying it is due to the quality of BT's coverage or due to limited access to it? BT are entitled to pay what they want for it and people need to adjust to them for the time being, just like people who want to watch sky have to pay to get the full quality. All it needs is one family member with sky and one with BT anyway? Find it hard to believe that doesn't cover a very good junk of interested people? And failing that there are always streams?

Really dont get your point. If people want to watch it they would surely?!?! Are you implying it is due to the quality of BT's coverage or due to limited access to it? BT are entitled to pay what they want for it and people need to adjust to them for the time being, just like people who want to watch sky have to pay to get the full quality. All it needs is one family member with sky and one with BT anyway? Find it hard to believe that doesn't cover a very good junk of interested people? And failing that there are always streams?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/02/12/uefa-concerned-by-bt-sports-dismal-champions-league-viewing-figu/

The press conference hasn't finished, there will be part 2 on youtube after the 10:30pm embargo, plus a one on one interview with him and the club's media. You should know that trousers, you usually provide a link to them! :D

Yes, I know all that (obviously :) ), but the 'part 1' press conference, despite getting less and less informative over the years, usually covers team news at least. Hey ho, perhaps I'm a bit too old fashioned :)