Dusan Tadic

Saint Charlie

Excellent of late and playing with confidence yet strangely seems to be relatively unappreciated by some sections of the fanbase.

Some interesting stats:

Goals: Seven league goals which is the same as Mane and only 2 fewer than Shane Long. Also the same no of league goals as Oxlade-Chamberlain has in his entire Arsenal career.

Assists: Same number of assists (7) as the likes of Barkley, Firmino, Fabregas and Lamela. Largely only bettered by the big names like De Bruyne, Payet, Mahrez etc.

Chances Created: Only Ozil, Eriksen, Payet, Willian, De Bruyne and Silva have created more chances than Tadic in the PL.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/26/mesut-ozil-is-the-premier-leagues-best-chance-creator/

For example, he played some lovely through balls to Long on Saturday which were wasted somewhat.

There are also some harder to quantify benefit. In an attacking sense he links so much better with the full backs than any other player we have. His play for Cedric to assist Mane's header was excellent as was his build up for the Mane goal at Everton, neither of which would be direct assists.

Summary: His job is to create and he does that very well despite what some say. Key player for us. Bargain at the price we paid.

Not sure he's been playing that great of late, more like two games.

Think he's generally had a poor season - hence Koeman being quite outspoken about his form.

His stats are very decent but heavily padded by being the proverbial flat-track bully.

At our level, all creative players are going to be inconsistent and streaky; that notwithstanding, I still feel it's an area we can improve on.

Equal 7th highest number of chances created in a season lacking security of starts. Not to be sniffed at.

Tadic is a creator and he creates.

There's a few blokes around me at St. Mary's that are on Dusan's back for roughly 50% of the time the ball's in his vicinity. The common theme being that he's a "lazy ****". "You're ****, Dusan" comes up a lot too - and the calls for him to be subbed at half-time never get old. For some reason it doesn't seem to matter how often they're made to look daft by him having a hand in a goal moments later.

Even if Tadic is a "lazy ****", very few teams in the modern game possess (nor require) ten outfield workhorses. Tadic lacking consistency is indeed a fair criticism -and one that Koeman has levelled himself. But that's to more to do with his output than effort. In terms of running, he puts in significantly more per match than the league average for midfielders anyway.

Had Dusan been able to perform at a slightly higher level this season then yes, his stats would read even better (as may the league table). He'd also be off in the Summer.

I'm a fan.

Excellent of late and playing with confidence yet strangely seems to be relatively unappreciated by some sections of the fanbase.

Some interesting stats:

Goals: Seven league goals which is the same as Mane and only 2 fewer than Shane Long. Also the same no of league goals as Oxlade-Chamberlain has in his entire Arsenal career.

Assists: Same number of assists (7) as the likes of Barkley, Firmino, Fabregas and Lamela. Largely only bettered by the big names like De Bruyne, Payet, Mahrez etc.

Chances Created: Only Ozil, Eriksen, Payet, Willian, De Bruyne and Silva have created more chances than Tadic in the PL.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/26/mesut-ozil-is-the-premier-leagues-best-chance-creator/

For example, he played some lovely through balls to Long on Saturday which were wasted somewhat.

There are also some harder to quantify benefit. In an attacking sense he links so much better with the full backs than any other player we have. His play for Cedric to assist Mane's header was excellent as was his build up for the Mane goal at Everton, neither of which would be direct assists.

Summary: His job is to create and he does that very well despite what some say. Key player for us. Bargain at the price we paid.

Excellent point. He is obviously a lot more useful than Oxlade-Chamberlain. W really don't need another attacking player with a double-barrelled name, who almost never scores. We've already got Ward-Prowse. Let's hang onto the better players we've already got, who do score goals: Tadic and Mane.

I'm a big fan, yet can see why others aren't.

He does have a tendancy to slow down play at times; and to pussy foot around in the box instead of sticking his foot through it!

Can be frustrating, but glad he's part of the squad.

I think Tadic is a good player and I would keep him next season, although I would add another creative midfielder to the ranks to bolster our options in that area. Someone like Ziyech - from the videos I've seen he looks very impressive.

As his biggest critic I have been watching him closely the last few games and while I admit he is capable of playing that killer ball (better than any other player in our squad) he still frustrates the hell out of me with his over elaboration (especially inside the area). There is a good player deep within him but it is too inconsistently seen and I don't think he shows strong character. Koeman must agree to an extent because up until recently he rarely gave him the full 90 minutes.

I've always liked him. He creates chances (someone in the team has) his biggest failing is he crap at the defensive side of thing which ever side he is played on (left being his better one) the full back behind him is going to have to work really hard because he won't get much help from Tadic.

it would be Interesting to compare his stats to Lallana's last season with us (or even their stats over the last two seasons)

As his biggest critic I have been watching him closely the last few games and while I admit he is capable of playing that killer ball (better than any other player in our squad) he still frustrates the hell out of me with his over elaboration (especially inside the area). There is a good player deep within him but it is too inconsistently seen and I don't think he shows strong character. Koeman must agree to an extent because up until recently he rarely gave him the full 90 minutes.

Agree he is extremely frustrating and could be better than he is but probably most teams creative players get criticism for simillar. Sanchez for example is superb (obviously miles better than Tadic) but equally holds onto the ball for too long at times.

Tadic's job is to create chances in a tough league and his ability as you say to play the perfect pass is far higher than anyone else we have. You can also see the other players trust Tadic to play those passes because they make runs for him that they don't for other players.

Creative players who cover lots of ground are always more likely to be subbed than defensive players or key strikers. That Tadic is always trying to create shows his character in a different way to how others show theirs.

Agree he is extremely frustrating and could be better than he is but probably most teams creative players get criticism for simillar. Sanchez for example is superb (obviously miles better than Tadic) but equally holds onto the ball for too long at times.

Tadic's job is to create chances in a tough league and his ability as you say to play the perfect pass is far higher than anyone else we have. You can also see the other players trust Tadic to play those passes because they make runs for him that they don't for other players.

Creative players who cover lots of ground are always more likely to be subbed than defensive players or key strikers. That Tadic is always trying to create shows his character in a different way to how others show theirs.

Does he play perfect passes? He can work space on the wing to beat a man, link up with the fullback and deliver a decent cross, though that might a function of all the crosses we put in as a team as he also puts in a lot of awful balls. But by and large, he's struggled when he's been played more centrally and be a true playmaker or string-puller.

His goals (x2 vs Villa, x2 vs Norwich down to 10 men, x1 pen vs Sunderland, x1 as a sub vs Watford; x1 as a sub vs West Brom when we were already two up) suggest to me that he's been OK when we've been on top; but has gone hiding in plenty of other games, especially when we needed some real quality.

Edited by shurlock

I usually have him in my starting team, I like the bloke. However only on the left, don't think he is as effective on the right and I prefer having Mane down the centre.

Like others, if the guy was consistent he wouldn't be playing for us if hes too good or he'd have to have a season like Mahrez did this season.

Does he play perfect passes? He can work space on the wing to beat a man, link up with the fullback and deliver a decent cross, though that might a function of all the crosses we put in as a team as he also puts in a lot of awful balls. But by and large, he's struggled when he's been played more centrally and be a true playmaker or string-puller.

His goals (x2 vs Villa, x2 vs Norwich down to 10 men, x1 pen vs Sunderland, x1 as a sub vs Watford; x1 as a sub vs West Brom when we were already two up) suggest to me that he's been OK when we've been on top; but has gone hiding in plenty of other games, especially when we needed some real quality.

Does he play perfect passes? No, not always. But generally his weight of pass and direction is pretty good enabling the recipient to do something with it.

Certainly most of the games Bertrand is most effective going forward is when he is combining with Tadic on the left.

He is far from perfect. But generally when he is playing well it tends to have a high impact on the team.

Since being back in the PL he and Lallana have easily been the two standout attacking midfielders for creating chances, albeit very different types.

I really like him but then I'm a sucker for a bit of skill and a reverse pass.

I understand why people get frustrated with him but you have to look past that and appreciate the good work he does. Turning Ivanovic inside out and dumping him on his fat butt at Stamford Bridge is way up there with my favourite moments of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcfgUDqX3A

When he's given time to think about things, he'll make the wrong decision quite often. When he acts on instinct, he'll usually make the right decision. When he's on his game, he's a fantastic player - see the first half of last season when he managed to put a run of performances together - but when he's not he is incredibly frustrating. Still definitely worth persevering with, IMO.

When he's given time to think about things, he'll make the wrong decision quite often. When he acts on instinct, he'll usually make the right decision. When he's on his game, he's a fantastic player - see the first half of last season when he managed to put a run of performances together - but when he's not he is incredibly frustrating. Still definitely worth persevering with, IMO.

Just about sums it up for me.

Good summary. The players with the best ability are often the most frustrating because you know they are capable when they mess up.

Others get commended for trying.

I'm a big fan, yet can see why others aren't.

He does have a tendancy to slow down play at times; and to pussy foot around in the box instead of sticking his foot through it!

Can be frustrating, but glad he's part of the squad.

Agree with all that, the tendancies identified in the middle sentence - never better illustrated than that ridiculous open-goal miss against Stoke - can overshadow the good stuff - like the assist for Pelle in the very same game. He has definitely started being a bit more direct over the last couple of games though.

I'm a huge fan of him. Not many players that have both the skill and the vision he has on the pitch to go with it. That's what I most like on a player. I usually get frustrated by those who have a lot of speed but don't think or don't have the composure to take advantage. In the modern game that is the norm. A lot of runners, great athletes who don't understand the game of football and who have no brain.

People say he is lazy. He certainly earned that reputation but Koeman has to take credit because the last 3 or 4 games he has put a lot of effort too, he has been closing down players and winning the ball back. He got the message. I hope he keeps it up when things start to not go his way.

Another aspect of his game he has developed since he came to the Premier is his strength. Don't remember if it was agains Everton or Villa but he sent a defender to the ground while protecting the ball. He is been great playing with the back to the goal, holding up the play. He doesen't have the speed and never will but he makes it up with intelligence and the work he has put on the gym.

I actually like him more on this new role behind Long, playing more centrally as a false nine or a shadow striker rather than a winger. That allows him to feed his killer ball that is an absolute theat coupled with Shane's tireless and constant running behind the Centre-backs.

I'm a huge fan of him. Not many players that have both the skill and the vision he has on the pitch to go with it. That's what I most like on a player. I usually get frustrated by those who have a lot of speed but don't think or don't have the composure to take advantage. In the modern game that is the norm. A lot of runners, great athletes who don't understand the game of football and who have no brain.

People say he is lazy. He certainly earned that reputation but Koeman has to take credit because the last 3 or 4 games he has put a lot of effort too, he has been closing down players and winning the ball back. He got the message. I hope he keeps it up when things start to not go his way.

Another aspect of his game he has developed since he came to the Premier is his strength. Don't remember if it was agains Everton or Villa but he sent a defender to the ground while protecting the ball. He is been great playing with the back to the goal, holding up the play. He doesen't have the speed and never will but he makes it up with intelligence and the work he has put on the gym.

I actually like him more on this new role behind Long, playing more centrally as a false nine or a shadow striker rather than a winger. That allows him to feed his killer ball that is an absolute theat coupled with Shane's tireless and constant running behind the Centre-backs.

Can't actually believe how anyone can call Dusan Tadic lazy.

I'll admit, he doesn't track back, but I can deal with that because he offers so much going forward.

Makes me laugh how everyone was tripping over themselves to sign Lallana when it was Tadic who was really our standout player.

Can't actually believe how anyone can call Dusan Tadic lazy.

I'll admit, he doesn't track back, but I can deal with that because he offers so much going forward.

Makes me laugh how everyone was tripping over themselves to sign Lallana when it was Tadic who was really our standout player.

Yeah when Lallana and Tadic played together they were unstoppable.

On his day he is a sublime player. Doesn't have pace, but makes up for it with strength and skill. Probably the best game I have seen him in today, was outstanding. Just wished his decision making in all games was as sharp as today.

He is class, but cannot work out in some games where has gone?

As has been said by others, if he was creating a goal or two every single game he'd be a world class player and playing for one of the top 5 clubs in the world. His return this season is quite honestly an excellent one for a team that was in the bottom half for a lot of it. We struggled to get over going out of europe so early, but we turned it around and still have a chance of improving on our best ever finish.

Let's not forget he's spent a fair amount of time on the bench. He's not always going to put a shift in or turn up every game,but when he's on it there are few better creative players in the league

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Let's not forget he's spent a fair amount of time on the bench. He's not always going to put a shift in or turn up every game,but when he's on it there are few better creative players in the league

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

yeah he was the victim of the five at the back period, which turned out to be pretty inspired by Koeman because it got us out of a hole and kick started a decent second half to the season, where their was just no room for Tadic.

On his day he is a sublime player. Doesn't have pace, but makes up for it with strength and skill. Probably the best game I have seen him in today, was outstanding. Just wished his decision making in all games was as sharp as today.

It's worth pointing out, I think, that he made some poor decisions as well, picking the wrong man on some of our countless breaks. City's defending and lack of midfield cover was a dream for players like that - runners in Mane and Long and space to find them. Good as he was yesterday, he doesn't get that most games.

Also:

@OptaJoe: 7 - Dusan Tadic has been involved in seven goals in his last four Premier League games (scored 2, assisted 5). Scheming.

Brilliant end-of-season form against some tough opponents.

The 352 formation really set him back and it wasn't his fault. We went so negative and got results with clean sheets but I'm glad it ended so we could return to actually playing attacking football. We're a better team than packing the defence and midfield. Attacking 3 caused problems again today and think tadic can have an excellent season next year. Not having pelle makes him deadly as he has options to find. Pelle has been great but we're clearly better with more pace and movement.

TBF the five at the back was a bit of a master stroke by Koeman that saved our season some what.

@OptaJoe: 19 - Since making his debut in August 2014, only Fabregas (25) and Ozil (23) have more PL assists than Dusan Tadic. Saintly.

Incredible stat, think just how good he'd be if he could defend!

But then he wouldn't be playing for us!!

Out of interest how many starts do these three have over this period?

It looks like we could be secretly deploying the most creative player in the league!

TBF the five at the back was a bit of a master stroke by Koeman that saved our season some what.

It has its moments but when it does work we just look hopeless. Bompey away was probably the worst deployment I've seen, hopelessly overrun in midfield.

It has its moments but when it does work we just look hopeless. Bompey away was probably the worst deployment I've seen, hopelessly overrun in midfield.

No argument from me. At the point in the season Koeman employed that system though we were a defensive mess and we needed to sort it out. I wouldn't want us playing that system all the time but it was, with hindsight, a brilliant call from Koeman that changed our season (along with the return of Fraser Forster).