Windows 10 updates taking forever

Does anyone else have a problem with what now appears to be daily updates for Windows 10?

I installed Windows 10 some time ago (maybe over a year~ish) but only recently have updates been happening daily and they take ages. Over an hour so far this morning and no sign of it ending. Is this just a common problem or could there be a problem with my laptop?

The update has now been completed - it took just over 4 hours and at times it looked as though the whole process had frozen. Should anyone experience similar, the trick is to be patient and let the process take its course. And now the upgrade has finished, my laptop is working at a noticeably slower pace.

The update has now been completed - it took just over 4 hours and at times it looked as though the whole process had frozen. Should anyone experience similar, the trick is to be patient and let the process take its course. And now the upgrade has finished, my laptop is working at a noticeably slower pace.

I havent had that problem. The updates Ive had have seemed to be automatic responses to problems. Are you sure you havent got malware?

Check your windowsupdate.log file, its a bit more complex in Win10 than the text files you get on win7 etc....but-

Open PowerShell with Administrative rights (right click powershell and choose 'run as administrator'

Type- "Get-WindowsUpdateLog"

You should see on the desktop a new WindowsUpdate.log file, open with a text editor and it should show you whats been going on

Does anyone else have a problem with what now appears to be daily updates for Windows 10?

I installed Windows 10 some time ago (maybe over a year~ish) but only recently have updates been happening daily and they take ages. Over an hour so far this morning and no sign of it ending. Is this just a common problem or could there be a problem with my laptop?

Sounds like Windows 10 build 1511 which is quite a major update. Despite it being around since November I only received it recently.

I've disabled Windows updates. I do not like the current options, and after a recent update, my PC seemed to have got stuck in an endless loop where it kept asking for a bootable disk.

I would like Microsoft to go back to the option of me choosing when to update etc.

I've disabled Windows updates. I do not like the current options, and after a recent update, my PC seemed to have got stuck in an endless loop where it kept asking for a bootable disk.

I would like Microsoft to go back to the option of me choosing when to update etc.

Pfffft. Next you'll be suggesting that you actually own your computer and the software that runs on it, just because you bought and paid for it.

Pfffft. Next you'll be suggesting that you actually own your computer and the software that runs on it, just because you bought and paid for it.

Oooh don't get me started. If I buy a hammer it's mine and I want to be able to bang in as many nails as I like. I don't expect to have to pay for it again in a couple of years' time.

I really wouldn't do that if I was you.

I did it once..

Forgot about it, saw I had 130 updates piled up, the sheer amount of updates in the queue corrupted my machine.

I had to take it round my mums to put a new OS on it.

If you're gonna do that..don't let it pile up.

I did it once..

Forgot about it, saw I had 130 updates piled up, the sheer amount of updates in the queue corrupted my machine.

Sound advice save them up and do them on a Sunday or something. Once a week is enough for anybody.

I did it once..

You're right there, I ought to switch them on again just for that reason. (If I can find the service to enable them again [emoji3])

• 2 weeks later...

I put Win10 on my laptop, and 3 days later reverted to Win7. Despite the 'wizard' saying that my hardware was perfect for the upgrade, the graphics hardware proved not to be, and as I use the system primarily for gaming, it made it effectively unuseable.

I've now stopped the upgrade notification and blocked the patch that triggers it.