Frank Worthington

VectisSaint

Sorry to hear that Vectis. Frank was past his prime when he joined us, but like Charlie George still had a lot of the silky skill and showmanship and I loved watching him, particularly alongside Steve Williams. It was also a treat to see his fashion sense before and after matches, which even in the early 80s was something to behold - the Huddersfield Elvis!

Here's a reminder of what he was capable of -

Blimey I was only reading a bit about him in Saturdays paper, didn't mention it in there.

I can remember when he played for Bolton, we played them in a 2-2 draw midweek first home game of the first season back in the old 1st Division. I use to be down the very front of the Milton always hanging over the wall, Frank came to get the ball for a corner right in front of me and the intense smell of embrocation oil was almost tangible. Whenever I hear of Frank Worthington thats the first thing I think of.............. I did often wonder how he always pulled the Ladies smelling like that, because you are going to have to use carbolic soap to get rid of that smell: then infuse your skin with the smell of Fawley in the process!! :?

"Greasy Frank" was a real character. Remember him most for the long ball he played to set up Mark Dennis for the cross from which Danny Wallace score that great goal against Liverpool.

Yes a golden memory from that season.

When he joined us there was a fair bit of dissatisfaction that Lawrie had signed a 34 yr old for £20,000. But he won the crowd round especially after Christmas when we went on our cup run to the semi-finals.

Remember the 'Frankie Goes to Wembley' t-shirts.

But for that b^stard little runt Heath, he might have done.

Heard it on the radio on the way home, very sad one of the games true characters and entertainers.

Definitely.

Lawrie said in an interview he wanted to sign him some years earlier from Bolton but we already had (from recollection) Osgood or George etc, and FW went elsewhere 9possibly Birmingham). Shame as he'd have been incredible alongside Ball, Keegan & Channon

Sad news. Know what it's like as my Mother had the illness for years.

I think Liverpool actually or almost signed him but called it off because his blood pressure was so high.

There's a funny story about him in Lawries book.

Good Luck Frank.

Although how that ever got to be BBC goal of the season I have no idea. Dennis was lucky to get two chances at the cross, and although Danny improvised well, overhead kicks are always hit and hope. Also it was scored from a Mark Wright knock back rather than the cross. His second, a rare headed goal was better IMHO.