Virgil van Dijk signs new six-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

What the frick? 6 fricking years? That is immense news and a hell of a commitment for such a talented player that could easily play for bigger clubs. He'll be our player of the season too. And fully deserved.

Delighted.

I am genuinely sorry to Alpine this thread up, but I don't find contract extensions/payrises reassuring at all. For instance, the last Southampton contract Lallana signed would still be active had he not left. Likewise Shaw would still be with us for the next two seasons.

Les Reed:

“In his first year with the club, Virgil has quickly established himself as one of the top centre-backs in the Premier League, becoming an integral part of what has been another strong season for the team.

“At 24, and with significant European experience already under his belt, we believe he can be a key pillar in our squad for years to come, and we are delighted to have agreed this new deal with him.

“Although Virgil only joined us in September we felt it was important to strengthen our commitment and we believe this also provides further indication of how serious our ambitions are for the coming years.”

I am genuinely sorry to Alpine this thread up, but I don't find contract extensions/payrises reassuring at all. For instance, the last Southampton contract Lallana signed would still be active had he not left. Likewise Shaw would still be with us for the next two seasons.

A totally different scenario with Cortese probably getting to the players before the new leadership had a chance/them also being slightly naive in the early days after Cortese left, their ambitions to move on anyway and then Poch leaving before they knew who the new manager was.

You can see in the delight on RKs face that this deal is a massive step in the right direction. VVD is the type of player we should be building a team around, and he's ours for many more years yet with this deal.

A totally different scenario with Cortese probably getting to the players before the new leadership had a chance/them also being slightly naive in the early days after Cortese left, their ambitions to move on anyway and then Poch leaving before they knew who the new manager was.

You can see in the delight on RKs face that this deal is a massive step in the right direction. VVD is the type of player we should be building a team around, and he's ours for many more years yet with this deal.

I certainly hope so. I would also hope that some of the players have enough humility to realise that being a Southampton star won't make them seamlessly transition into being a Man U/Arsenal/whatever star, were they to get a big move away.

6 years is huge,that must mean he has just had a huge wage increase and will probably be our top earner,that shows a real sign of intent from the board and is bigger news than a "star" signing at this point of the season.

His release clause for when Barca/Madrid come knocking must be tidy as well.

6 years is huge,that must mean he has just had a huge wage increase and will probably be our top earner,that shows a real sign of intent from the board and is bigger news than a "star" signing at this point of the season.

Well we've got to match Zlatan's wages for our top players, or else there will be disharmony in the dressing room.

Now have you just made up a release clause?

No proof of this...

On a side note, I've never seen someone sign a 6 year deal lol- 5 is a max usually...

This is just absolutely amazing news! Welldone to done to Les Reed and the board for getting this done before the summer. I think Virgil will become one of the best defenders in the world, that's how good he is. Now hopefully Victor, Sadio, Fraser and Ronald will follow suit. This is the place to be COYR.

Well done Les and well done VVD for making a great decision.

His interview alluded to his life in Southampton was great and loved the place and his family were happy too here, so clearly making a decision based on more than just financial gain.

Now have you just made up a release clause?

No proof of this...

On a side note, I've never seen someone sign a 6 year deal lol- 5 is a max usually...

I assumed.....but the size of the contract says to me that the board can see the potential and have give him a contract this size to scare off anyone that will come knocking,so a release clause would probably be in place

Great news, we dont have to worry about him in the summer. Otherwise it doesn't mean much if you ask me, only that his transfer free has doubled but if clubs want him they will get him at the end anyway. There probably was some snooping around already otherwise you don't extend/upgrade a 5 year contract with a another 2 years.

Koeman will take him to Barca after we win the league.

I would put my money on Koeman taking him with him to Arsenal.