Virgil van Dijk signs new six-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Seriously fluffed his lines today! Oh well, looks like we've got him for next year, which is awesome, and hopefully another one beyond that. If we get CL in the next two years that changes everything but I would suggest it's very unlikely that he will be here for the next 6 years

Well technically the club could know force him (though most probably wouldn't) but it still gives the club more control over the next few seasons on when he goes.

People are seriously getting their knickers in a twist on this thread. All that really needs to be said is that it's great news, it strengthens our position and sends out a message of commitment to other players. I noticed Koeman said he hopes to have a few more to announce in the coming weeks - I'd fully expect Long, Tadic, Fraser to be next down the line.

I'm Dutch like VVD and I was very surprised a few years ago when I learned that 'a couple' and 'a few' don't have the exact same meaning. I'm quite sure VVD doesn't know either.

Doesnt have much to with being Dutch, if people seriously think he will be here for 6 years then they might need a reality check. He signed a long contract because it raises his transfer fee for the club and a wage increase for him, nothing more. If a big club comes knocking next summer with big transfer fee, he will be offski just like anyone else.

Barcelona?

Messi, Iniesta, Pedro, Xavi, Busquets, Puyol, Tello, Pique all came through the Barca academy - and then you have Bojan, Bartra, Muniesa, Romeu, Etc

I almost mentioned Barcelona but technically it didn't qualify:

From Sunday 8 May 2016

Ter Stegen developed by Borussia Monchengladbach

Alves developed by Bahia

Pique developed by Barcelona, but went away and came back

Mascherano developed by River Plate

Alba developed by Barcelona, but went away and came back

Rakitic developed by FC Basel

Busquets developed by Barcelona

Iniesta developed by Barcelona

Messi developed by Barcelona

Suarez developed by Nacional

Neymar developed by Santos

Admitted, 5 of 11 isn't bad and they have undoubtedly played with a higher total at some point. However, my basic point was that playing 6 starters from are own academy while in the top half of the Premier League is simply not practical and few clubs, if any, playing at the highest level in the current world have done this.

Athletic Bilbao as they can only have Basques...

Other than that Barcelona a few years ago must've been pretty close

Athletic Bilbao 6 May 2016

Iraizoz developed by AB

Elustondo developed by Real Sociedad

Boveda developed by AB but left and came back

Balenziaga developed by Real Sociedad

De Marcos developed by Deportivo Alaves

Garcia developed by CA Osasuna

Etxebarria developed by AB but left and came back twice

San Jose developed by CD Basconia

Aduriz developed by CD Aurrera de Vitoria

Muniain developed by AB

Williams developed by AB but left and came back

so they are close and probably did start six at some point.

Season ticket prices halved? Ok, so I'm in a dream world with that one, but IMO renegotiated contracts are for the players and agents to celebrate, not the fans.

VVD has had a great first season, but I don't see a contract renegotiated after just one year as something to shout about. It says more about the strength of the agent than the club IMO. Did we not pay a large transfer fee and contract him to do exactly what he did this season?

Let me ask you, when Payet renegotiated his deal less than a year after signing did you not think to yourself that his agent had perhaps just held a gun to the head of the west ham chairman?

The way I see it is they had Payet on a long enough contract to dictate his movement, but they were forced to pay him a shed load more, plus some extra years, or his agent would have forced a summer move. Payet got paid. And like you suggest, why not, the money was there. Celebrations though?

Equally, what do you think happened with VVD? was it saints that initiated new contract talks or his agent? There is no need to answer that question by the way.

Having said all that, paying players top top money (maybe more than they can get at a bigger club) is perhaps the only way to keep them. Let's see if it works with Virgil.

That is what really matters or might matter. Or might not.

I'm Dutch like VVD and I was very surprised a few years ago when I learned that 'a couple' and 'a few' don't have the exact same meaning. I'm quite sure VVD doesn't know either.

I suspect only a couple of people from Holland even realize this.

Read the saints official site interview with vvd and it clearly states it's a couple more years added on. "I'm pleased to extend my deal by a couple of years longer"

Edited by Roger

Just hope we're sticking to the self sustaining policy and not starting down the slippery slope to debt.

I really don't think we need to worry about that under current management. The money for the maximum increase in salaries allowed by the BPL salary cap will be there from the TV contract, plus our new commercial income (and, if we qualify, Europe prizes, TV money, or gate receipts) This might not be true in two years if we go for the maximum increase each year, but I really don't think this management will borrow money to pay players' salaries.

• 5 months later...

Best CB surely....?! Not many can compete with him...Maybe Toby?

Don't see these better than him:

Stones

Otamendi

Mangala

Terry

Cahill

Luiz

Zouma

Koscielny

Mustafi

Gabriel

Mertesecker

Vertonghen

Bailly

Smalling

Blind

Would be surprised if he's here come the first game of next season, but at least we've got a long contract in place.

Best CB surely....?! Not many can compete with him...Maybe Toby?

Don't see these better than him:

Stones

Otamendi

Mangala

Terry

Cahill

Luiz

Zouma

Koscielny

Mustafi

Gabriel

Mertesecker

Vertonghen

Bailly

Smalling

Blind

Would be surprised if he's here come the first game of next season, but at least we've got a long contract in place.

I think VVD, Toby and Koscienly are the three best CB's in the league and would get into any team in Europe.

Well technically the club could know force him (though most probably wouldn't) but it still gives the club more control over the next few seasons on when he goes.

IF he does eventually move ...what level of fee are we thinking about ?

Only one of the " big money " clubs would be able to afford him .......and so how highly would you rate VvD? ...compared to say £50 million John Stones ?

IF he does eventually move ...what level of fee are we thinking about ?

Only one of the " big money " clubs would be able to afford him .......and so how highly would you rate VvD? ...compared to say £50 million John Stones ?

At least the same.

Better than Stones who got himself into difficulty on a number of occasions on Tuesday through his own misjudgements. VVD could play anywhere in the spine of the team and would be excellent; centre midfield or up front as well as centre back. We have had a lot of great centre backs at Saints through the years but VVD is shaping up to be the best that I have seen for us.

• 9 months later...

Why keep him here if he is gonna be a misersble git? What can we do? 1) sell now for best money we can get. 2) let him rot. 3) sign some talent in a attempt to show him that as a club we have some form of ambition to go for Europe...

This thread is a laugh given the latest news. Extension was all about money, nothing more, we'll always be a stepping stone club.

Not sure anyone really thought differently at the time. You just hope that one day you come across a world class player that stays with Saints a la Le Tiss. Sadly he is a one off. Though JWP is international class and shows loyalty and class in many ways on and off the pitch.