If only....

alpine_saint

I know every team has its injury problems, but where could we have finished if Forster and Bertrand hadnt missed the beginning of the season ?

Its hard to imagine how Leicester would have been knocked off the top (they have won more points than us in 2016 - the only team to do so), but runners-up may have been on the cards.

Lets hope the summer does not disrupt the momentum too much.

I know every team has its injury problems, but where could we have finished if Forster and Bertrand hadnt missed the beginning of the season ?

Its hard to imagine how Leicester would have been knocked off the top (they have won more points than us in 2016 - the only team to do so), but runners-up may have been on the cards.

Somebody give him some Rolos.

That says very little about saints and a hell of a lot about you.

6th would be amazing. I thought improving for the...what, 7th consecutive year would be almost impossible. 6th and Europe again would be an amazing platform to take into the summer. Only way to become a big club is to keep doing this Year after year.

Or you could just take advantage of one totally stupid year and take a (in general) very average team and club to the title and bypass the years of hard work bit

6th would be amazing. I thought improving for the...what, 7th consecutive year would be almost impossible. 6th and Europe again would be an amazing platform to take into the summer. Only way to become a big club is to keep doing this Year after year.

With a game to go and only 5 points off a Champions League place (#pieinthesky) it's reasonable to wonder where we would be without injuries and that terrible run of form around December.

With a game to go and only 5 points off a Champions League place (#pieinthesky) it's reasonable to wonder where we would be without injuries and that terrible run of form around December.

Quite. Watford, West Brom, Palace, Norwich, Newcastle (away) & Sunderland, Villa, Everton, Stoke (home) = 4 points out of a possible 30.

Not to say this season hasn't been awesome and well above what I expected but it is frustrating to see so many points dropped when it's since become apparent that we were capable of much, much better.

I guess you've got to console yourself with the fact we were lucky to face a City side that basically threw the fixture and a Spurs team that were clearly downcast from missing out on the title when we did. We faced Liverpool at a good time too, in between a couple of their Europa League games.

And if we had finished second the troll from

The Tyrol would be on here whining that we bottled the league, we'll never win anything etc. But at least we've come a long way since his "we don't belong in the premier league" days.

not too sure what Apline said here is wrong?

1 win in 8 in that period. Win just one of those (would still leave a very poor run of results in that time) and we would be going into the game on sunday with a shot of the champions league.

exciting end to the season, regardless

The biggest "what if" for me is if we'd played Long up front all season. Could have easily seen him getting 15-20 goals.

yep. he was no where near as good wide. no where near. we are just better when he plays central as opposed to...........

I will leave that one there.... :lol:

We'd have progressed in the Europa to the group stages and our league form would have suffered badly as a result?

Quite. Watford, West Brom, Palace, Norwich, Newcastle (away) & Sunderland, Villa, Everton, Stoke (home) = 4 points out of a possible 30.

Absolutely !...and a lot of those lost points came when Pelle was out / injured / poor form and both he and Mane went a dozen or so games without scoring.

Thank goodness for Shane Long ...when he was the only fit striker and put in a real shift every week.

He may not become Player pf the Season .....but he certainly deserves an honourable mention.

The biggest "what if" for me is if we'd played Long up front all season. Could have easily seen him getting 15-20 goals.

well said Clarkie, a real hero. It may not show on the score sheet but he's been the biggest threat to defences all season, and still managed double figures.

Nothing wrong with the original post. The end of every season is the time for exactly these sorts of comments as we are able to see what impact a few lost points here and there might have made. The point about us possibly progressing in the EL, and the subsequent impact on our league form is also very relevant. I'm just happy that we have the opportunity to progress again and that the final game of the season will mean something.

Its also pretty pointless because those things happened. I assume in this wonderful alternate reality all the other teams fans would also point to all their injuries and bad games that wouldn't have happened, in this fantasy season, to allow them to win the league.

Agreed, nothing wrong with Alpine's post - in a season when Leicester have won the Premier League and we have sored the second highest points total behind them in 2016 - you can't help but consider what might have been if we hadnt had that horrendous run of form which really, is out of context with the rest of our season.

Unlikely that next year, Chelsea, United, City will all underperform to leave the top four door open for the likes of us, West Ham and obviously Leicester, and with Klopp appearing to get Liverpool going too, you'd expect them to be right in the mix as well.

Key is if we can keep the squad together over the summer and add some quality, but we all know that is a huge if

Agreed, nothing wrong with Alpine's post - in a season when Leicester have won the Premier League and we have sored the second highest points total behind them in 2016 - you can't help but consider what might have been if we hadnt had that horrendous run of form which really, is out of context with the rest of our season.

Unlikely that next year, Chelsea, United, City will all underperform to leave the top four door open for the likes of us, West Ham and obviously Leicester, and with Klopp appearing to get Liverpool going too, you'd expect them to be right in the mix as well.

Key is if we can keep the squad together over the summer and add some quality, but we all know that is a huge if

Totally agree that the bigger teams underperformed this season and I do think that trend can continue into next season.

The players play too much football, We have the Euro's coming up plus champions league and coca cup etc.

They have to rest some players which gives them an unsettled team.

The likes of Saints and Leicester could put the same players out week in and week out from the start of January which is a luxury for the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool to name a few.

I also think we need to work out why our team is so poor leading up to the xmas period, happens every time for some reason?

Totally agree that the bigger teams underperformed this season and I do think that trend can continue into next season.

The players play too much football, We have the Euro's coming up plus champions league and coca cup etc.

They have to rest some players which gives them an unsettled team.

The likes of Saints and Leicester could put the same players out week in and week out from the start of January which is a luxury for the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool to name a few.

I also think we need to work out why our team is so poor leading up to the xmas period, happens every time for some reason?

Maybe you answered your own question there - at that point leading up to Christmas we are playing more games than at any other point of the season. We're still in the league cup for a bit, quite a few internationals as well so lots of additional travelling, leading up to the busy Christmas period. After January, we're normally out of the league cup, not so many internationals and quite often make an early exit from the FA Cup too - leaving us just the league to concentrate on.

Maybe you answered your own question there - at that point leading up to Christmas we are playing more games than at any other point of the season. We're still in the league cup for a bit, quite a few internationals as well so lots of additional travelling, leading up to the busy Christmas period. After January, we're normally out of the league cup, not so many internationals and quite often make an early exit from the FA Cup too - leaving us just the league to concentrate on.

So basically if we do qualify for Europe again, we're screwed. :o

This is the time of the season when every football fan looks back and thinks 'what if'?

I agree with Alps. We took some time to get a settled team, especially in the first few weeks and it takes time for new players to settle into the local environment and to start to feel part of the routine.

Wonder if we're taking confidence from what Leicester have done, it is possible to do it with this club, although unlikely, but our results against the top sides show we are good enough when we're on it to beat them.

Strangely the thing that has let us down this year is the performances against the lesser teams, which hasn't been the problem over the last few years, maybe due to us playing in a more counter attacking way?

Wonder if we're taking confidence from what Leicester have done,

Personally, I choose to think of it in terms of them having taken confidence from what we did last season...

Somewhat gobsmacked at the responses of adriansfc, Turkish and CBFry. I would have thought my feeling was on the mind of every Saints fan at the moment.

Personally, I choose to think of it in terms of them having taken confidence from what we did last season...

Somewhat gobsmacked at the responses of adriansfc, Turkish and CBFry. I would have thought my feeling was on the mind of every Saints fan at the moment.

Agreed, Forster was a great miss and it was noticeable how the performances were more confident with him back in goal.

The problem is We're never quite sure if it's you posting or your son racing round the desk to login as you when you pop downstairs for a sugar top up.

Don't you like your nickname though? I'm quite proud of the Troll fro lim the Tyrol. If you were a wrestler (sumo) it'd be fantastic. "In the red corner, weighing in at 320 ibs, the Troll from the Tyrol, it's alpine Saint"

If KD hadn't given Leicester the ball in the 93rd min, or whenever it was, we win, they lose, their run halts and they start picking up typical results for a bang average mid table team and we end up winning the league.

So, basically, Stekelenberg getting injured has won Leicester the league and cost us the league. That's a fact.

In my lifetime the only club that has gone unbeaten in the Premiership is Arsenal. Every club will have what if moments every season and I remember them clearly when we went down. It is a pointless exercise and gave birth to the phrase "If my aunt had b@lls she would be my uncle." The truth is that we have no idea what would have happened if we had had a different right back or if Shane Long had played in the centre all season. We could have finished with less points as well as more points. In simple terms we are where we are and it has been another decent season. We can bemoan dropped points and wonder what if all day long, it wont change anything. I would rather remember this as another decent season where we have proved that we belong in the top flight and can compete with the best. It wsnt that long ago that we were kicking around in Division One. Here is a what if for you. What if we were still there?

This is the time of the season when every football fan looks back and thinks 'what if'?

I agree with Alps. We took some time to get a settled team, especially in the first few weeks and it takes time for new players to settle into the local environment and to start to feel part of the routine.

Dont buy the acclimatisation story. It may explain a few of the opening results, including the European exit (some of which didnt feature VVD); but we then went on a decent run. The collapse happened midway through the season.

Totally agree with Alpine's post and at the risk of being flamed, I think Leicester's achievement this season shows how we have underperformed.

While an improvement on last season is not to be sniffed at, I think we could have done better.

To be honest, if you compare Leicester's and Saints' squad, you would have to say ours is stronger in terms of players available.

At the start of the season, would you have seen Huth and Morgan as a better central defensive pairing than Fonte and Van Dyke?

Look at the choice of midfield player available to Ron, as opposed to Ranieri. GRanted, Drinkwater and Kante have had outstanding seasons, but then you are looking at the likes of Marc Albrighton and Andy King, hardly names you would have expected to shine.

Vardy has carried them in attack, but their back-up choices include Ulloa.

There was a reason Leicester were mired in a relegation scrap and only escaped by the skin of their teeth last season. Their squad wasn't good enough.

What's happened to them is quite amazing in terms of turning individuals and the team around.

They took advantage of a one-off season when the top teams were in disarray. That's unlikely to happen again.

Chelsea and Man City will be stronger under new managers, United will either allow van Gaal or Mourinho to throw money at it. Klopp will, annoyingly make Liverpool a force.

You can see the Old Order being restored.

You cannot take anything away from Leicester. Their collection of cast-offs, misfits and bargain signings had the sort of season they will never have again.

The annoying thing is it could have been us and it's a fair enough question to speculate why it wasn't.

So basically if we do qualify for Europe again, we're screwed. :o

Very possibly, still want to have that opportunity though!

If we do get there, I hope we add some quality to the team - while Martina as an example has actually turned out to be solid enough and i quite like him, if we opt to fill up the squad with more players like him to cover the added games next season, the league form will take a real dip i think.

Very difficult balancing act for the club, but hey, we'd all rather be where we are now rather than trying to sign players who would hopefully keep us just above the relegation zone

Yes we can speculate, just as Arsenal will speculate why they didn't win it. United will speculate. City will speculate. Even Everton and Stoke will be saying that they should have finished higher. The clubs at the bottom will be pointing at matches they feel they should have won. Yes, it could have been us just as it could have been plenty of other teams too who also dropped points at some point. That is what makes the league set up so interesting. It is what you achieve over a period of 38 games that counts and every team below Leicester did not do enough to win it.

If KD hadn't given Leicester the ball in the 93rd min, or whenever it was, we win, they lose, their run halts and they start picking up typical results for a bang average mid table team and we end up winning the league.

So, basically, Stekelenberg getting injured has won Leicester the league and cost us the league. That's a fact.

I did wonder about that moment and whether that changed the course of Leicester's season. I think it came soon after their heavy loss to Arsenal and if we'd have beaten them as well, would they have had the belief to go on and win the league? Maybe not

lol, 50 yards from goal and 8 Saints players behind the ball, if you are going to point out every stray pass 50-60 yards from goal !!!!

to be fair 2 of those have spent the last few years scoffing at any posters thinking we could ever make the CL places let alone ML's dream of winning the title. They can only throw childish abuse. Pretty sad that they feel that they can only win a debate by getting personal. i suspect they have many characteristics that we all could be pretty nasty about if we saw their pretty little faces.

Im happy for them to take the mickey but dont get personal it is not right

I'm sure there's a three pack of Walnut Whips with your name on it in the kitchen.

Unfortunately Alpine, its the same few all the time, retorting with snarky remarks, trolling themselves, but cant see through the sh!te they spill. sod all to say, don't say it.

I'm not sure where this myth has come from that the League was 'there for the taking' just because Leicester won it. That somehow we've missed out on a golden opportunity.

Leicester's point tally would have had them 2nd last season

If Man Utd win their last 2 games, the threshold for the Champions League will be 69 points, compared to 70 last year.

We could conceivably finish 3 points better off than last year and still finish 8th.

I'm sure there's a three pack of Walnut Whips with your name on it in the kitchen.

That's the 2nd time you have given out a personal insult to Alpine after your rolo's comment.

Dont you think it's overstepping the mark CB Fry?

Im surprised you are not banned on here as you offer very little to the forum other than cyber bullying.

and if we had won all our games we would have won the league

This. Awful lot of supposin' going on here. Every team in the league can pretty much apply this retrospective analysis. Some games you play well and win, some games you play well and lose. Some games you play poorly and win, some games you play poorly and lose. That's football. Every team can employ this hypothetical argument. And personally, I have no issue with people wanting to imagine what could have been, but it's pretty apparent that there are certain posters (and it's obvious who they are) in the 'It's Never Good Enough/Never Satisfied' camp, in spite of another potential record breaking season.

P.S Having said that, analysing why we've fudged up for the past two Christmas periods is an interesting enough topic.

:lol:

Yes we can speculate, just as Arsenal will speculate why they didn't win it. United will speculate. City will speculate. Even Everton and Stoke will be saying that they should have finished higher. The clubs at the bottom will be pointing at matches they feel they should have won. Yes, it could have been us just as it could have been plenty of other teams too who also dropped points at some point. That is what makes the league set up so interesting. It is what you achieve over a period of 38 games that counts and every team below Leicester did not do enough to win it.

Well, I dont give a sh*t about the other teams. I support Saints.

So allow me the indulgence of speculating with like-minded fans on a Saints chat page (fans of other teams are free to speculate on their own pages....), and try to contribute something other than being contrary and stating the bleedin' obvious.

Well, I dont give a sh*t about the other teams. I support Saints.

So allow me the indulgence of speculating with like-minded fans on a Saints chat page (fans of other teams are free to speculate on their own pages....), and try to contribute something other than being contrary and stating the bleedin' obvious.

You support Negativity :thumbup:

To play devil's advocate.

If Forster and Bertrand were fit at the start of the season, would we have progressed in the EL?

If we'd progressed in the EL, how would that have f**ked up our league form?

There are too many variables - just enjoy our best finish for many years.

To play devil's advocate.

If Forster and Bertrand were fit at the start of the season, would we have progressed in the EL?

If we'd progressed in the EL, how would that have f**ked up our league form?

There are too many variables - just enjoy our best finish for many years.

We might now be facing Liverpool in the final.

The annoying thing is it could have been us and it's a fair enough question to speculate why it wasn't.

Mahrez, Vardy, Simpson, Drinkwater and Kante are all legit better than their counterparts Mane, Long, Martina, Davis and Wanyama.

Huth, Morgan, Schmeichel and Fuchs are essentially equals of Van Dijk, Fonte, Forster and Bertrand.

The rest of the players are all much of a muchness as well.

The answer is lol no. We are not as good as the team that's ten points clear at the top of the league in May.