Likely end of the Wanyama Era

Saint Charlie

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10287703/southampton-expect-victor-wanyama-to-be-tempted-away-this-summer-sky-sources

Nothing that isn't expected.

Good option for any team at the type of money will likely be able to get for him. Hard to sign any PL proven players with capability to improve for less than £15m which is probably what he would cost maximum.

The club offered him a contract he didn't want it so we move on .....won't stop a meltdown on here when goes though.

The club offered him a contract he didn't want it so we move on .....won't stop a meltdown on here when goes though.

Pretty much this.

Would be great to keep him, but if we have offered the best contract we can and he wants to move on - sobeit.

A thread of hope though.....? Says we offered a contract last year which was refused. I do wonder if we'll offer a more attractive one given the recent VVD/Forster deals? (Probably makes no difference, but perhaps something to cling to for those who choose to!)

From the article,

"The 24-year-old defensive midfielder was understood to be a transfer target for Tottenham last August but no bid was made due to the Saints' refusal to sell."

I thought it was well documented that he handed in a transfer request? Is that possible? :S To hand in a transfer request in spite of no club-to-club offer(s)? (assuming a team other than Spurs didn't bid) I guess that would suggest that a player can do so in anticipation of an impending bid? One of you will know :thumbup:

From the article,

"The 24-year-old defensive midfielder was understood to be a transfer target for Tottenham last August but no bid was made due to the Saints' refusal to sell."

I thought it was well documented that he handed in a transfer request? Is that possible? :S To hand in a transfer request in spite of no club-to-club offer(s)? (assuming a team other than Spurs didn't bid).

I think so. A player can do it anytime he wants to I think ....it's just you might look a little stupid if no one actually bids for you.

Pretty much this.

Would be great to keep him, but if we have offered the best contract we can and he wants to move on - sobeit.

A thread of hope though.....? Says we offered a contract last year which was refused. I do wonder if we'll offer a more attractive one given the recent VVD/Forster deals? (Probably makes no difference, but perhaps something to cling to for those who choose to!)

I guess there is a possibility I get the feeling though the Vic just thinks he is a bit better than Southampton and thinks he should be at one the big clubs .

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10287703/southampton-expect-victor-wanyama-to-be-tempted-away-this-summer-sky-sources

Nothing that isn't expected.

Good option for any team at the type of money will likely be able to get for him. Hard to sign any PL proven players with capability to improve for less than £15m which is probably what he would cost maximum.

No mention of Mane in that article. I'll take that as gospel that he's staying!

I guess there is a possibility I get the feeling though the Vic just thinks he is a bit better than Southampton and thinks he should be at one the big clubs .

Was pretty obviously his agent and the player's outlook when he had either us or Cardiff to choose from. Spurs most likely destination as they need a player like him and MP knows his strengths and weaknesses. Arsenal need him but his passing is nowhere good enough for Wenger's liking.

So I think it'll be Spurs but the message to Levy should be simple - £15m up front or we let his contract runs down. Might even be worth the club making that clear in the London media so there's no doubts and perhaps question Levy's ability or authorisation to sanction a deal of that size.

To be fair, how many players wouldn't go to a bigger club if the chance was there? That's how we also recruit players - we sign them because we are a bigger club than the one they are at.

To be fair, how many players wouldn't go to a bigger club if the chance was there? That's how we also recruit players - we sign them because we are a bigger club than the one they are at.

No doubt any player would want to move to a bigger club but I doubt all players think they can do better than saints. Cuco for example probably doesn't think he can can do much better than saints Vic clearly does. Not a problem but makes keeping Vic much harder than keeping someone like JWP .

Refusing to sign a new contract is surely a sign that " his head is somewhere else "......

With a year left, he is still a marketable quantity.....in a year's time....he can walk for nothing. Surely that's a no-brainer.

I hope there are several clubs interested and the price goes up and up. If he signs for Spurs?....lets' see if he can beat his personal record of 3 red cards in a season.

you can be fairly sure there is a replacement already lined up. I'm sure Romeu will take over the spot, but we need extra manpower in case of injury / suspensions.

Edited by david in sweden

you can be fairly sure there is a replacement already lined up. I'm sure Romeu will take over the spot, but we need extra manpower in case of injury / suspensions.

I doubt it, when fully fit Koeman's first choice has been Wanyama and Clasie. Romeu has been useful this season but its a drop in quality to go from Wanyama to Romeu. I think they'll look to sign someone to be first choice and Romeu will still get a decent amount of game-time filling in when needed.

No doubt any player would want to move to a bigger club but I doubt all players think they can do better than saints. Cuco for example probably doesn't think he can can do much better than saints Vic clearly does. Not a problem but makes keeping Vic much harder than keeping someone like JWP .

It is easier to keep a player when their options are limited. If it is true that he has the chance of CL football why wouldn't he want to take it? Are clubs like Spuds interested in players like JWP? Players might dream of playing for bigger clubs, but that is only going to happen if big clubs want them which is precisely why we lost Clyne, Lallana, Lovren and Morgan. Re Chambers I have a feeling we were happy to let him go and given his performances at Arsenal I can see why. I am not saying that JWP would have signed a new contract if Manchester United had been after him because I don't know, but his decision to stay would have been harder. With one year on the contract and CL football knocking I think more players than just Vic would be tempted.

I doubt it, when fully fit Koeman's first choice has been Wanyama and Clasie. Romeu has been useful this season but its a drop in quality to go from Wanyama to Romeu. I think they'll look to sign someone to be first choice and Romeu will still get a decent amount of game-time filling in when needed.

Think you're right.

Romeu is basically the new Cork (And I don't mean that in a disparaging way)

A good player, but replaceable.

We do need a proper replacement though. I really, really like Romeu and would have him in the team ahead of Clasie but (whilst it pains me to say it), he's a clear step down from Wanyama and that will have a tangible effect on our points tally throughout the season.

Much as I'd love to get Morgan back his wages will be through the roof now.

A good player, but replaceable.

We do need a proper replacement though. I really, really like Romeu and would have him in the team ahead of Clasie but (whilst it pains me to say it), he's a clear step down from Wanyama and that will have a tangible effect on our points tally throughout the season.

Much as I'd love to get Morgan back his wages will be through the roof now.

I'd imagine it would have less to do with wages and more to do with him not wanting to look a fool by coming back here after one season.

I seem to be out of line with others.

I would not let him go early I would hold on to him until 31 Aug. Spurs will want an early deal because one of their DM is out for the first 4 games and the other is with England and will probably start training a couple of weeks behind others.

Why help the "Dirty Tricks Club" ? and what do you think his "first touch" will be like on the 1st Sept if he isn't involved in any pre-season games ?.

Also the new TV deal comes in next year and I think the money for each place increases from something like £1.2m to £2.5m per place, therefore 4 places (6th down to 10th is £10m). Therefore there is a case for even holding on to him until the winter transfer window if as I expect there is only joke offers from spurs.

I'd imagine it would have less to do with wages and more to do with him not wanting to look a fool by coming back here after one season.

Heh, that too.

You can add Man United not wanting to look daft by selling him back to us at probably about 2/3rds of the price. Bottom line is its a no-go.

Was pretty obviously his agent and the player's outlook when he had either us or Cardiff to choose from. Spurs most likely destination as they need a player like him and MP knows his strengths and weaknesses. Arsenal need him but his passing is nowhere good enough for Wenger's liking.

So I think it'll be Spurs but the message to Levy should be simple - £15m up front or we let his contract runs down. Might even be worth the club making that clear in the London media so there's no doubts and perhaps question Levy's ability or authorisation to sanction a deal of that size.

Simple, to Spurs he is 25m, anyone else apart from Liverpool 15m!

Edited by captainchris

I would not let him go early I would hold on to him until 31 Aug. Spurs will want an early deal because one of their DM is out for the first 4 games and the other is with England and will probably start training a couple of weeks behind others.

Why help the "Dirty Tricks Club" ? and what do you think his "first touch" will be like on the 1st Sept if he isn't involved in any pre-season games ?.

Also the new TV deal comes in next year and I think the money for each place increases from something like £1.2m to £2.5m per place, therefore 4 places (6th down to 10th is £10m). Therefore there is a case for even holding on to him until the winter transfer window if as I expect there is only joke offers from spurs.

Totally agree. If he really wants to go, and let's hope he doesn't, we should not sell him until the January transfer window.

Heh, that too.

You can add Man United not wanting to look daft by selling him back to us at probably about 2/3rds of the price. Bottom line is its a no-go.

They did it with Zaha? Not saying it's likely but it's not something they'd lose a minutes sleep over.

Heh, that too.

Like Man Utd would give a f**k. They never have done; they've bought and offloaded plenty of players over the years that "didn't fit the Man Utd system" or "couldn't hack the Man Utd media pressure".

It's probably true and Morgan may well be one that succumbs to that pressure.

I expect Luke Shaw will thrive when he's fit, in fact I hope he does as at least one of our decent nippers apart from Bale has to become world class.

But anyway, I think Morgan could easily be shifted on, no shame on either side, club too big, pressure too much etc etc.

Think you're right.

Romeu is basically the new Cork (And I don't mean that in a disparaging way)

He basically isn't, and there is no comparison.

Cork in his last season with us struggled to get a run out in a year our midfield was ravaged with injuries and cards. His pedigree includes Bournemouth (L1), S****horpe, Burnley and us (in Championship).

Romeu this year has been pivotal in both relieving Clasie mid match and also through general midfield rotation. His pedigree includes Barcelona and Chelsea.

As for Wanyama, lets get his replacement in early and then sell him on deadline day.

Undoubtedly a good player but suspensions have limited his contribution and the free kicks conceded have to be put in the balance against the good work he does for the team. According to the Southampton FC website Vic has made 30 Premier League appearances in 2015/16 although some of those would not have been for the full 90 minutes because of being subbed, sent-off, or coming on as a sub. If the website is up-to-date and these statistics are based on 38 games, his playing time would be a maximum of 78% and in practice, was less than that.

I'm not sure if the coaches would want him to curb his aggression as that underpins much of his contribution to the team but playing time would seem to be a factor in assessing his overall value, both to the team and in the transfer market. Sadio Mane is logged on the website as having 37 league appearances, again not all for the full 90 minutes, but his playing time is significantly greater than Victor's over the season. Different player, different position and different contract period but Sadio would seem to be of greater value to Southampton and if it's not possible to hang on to both of these two, it might be best to focus on keeping Sadio, even if Townsend is available as a possible replacement.

Undoubtedly a good player but suspensions have limited his contribution and the free kicks conceded have to be put in the balance against the good work he does for the team. According to the Southampton FC website Vic has made 30 Premier League appearances in 2015/16 although some of those would not have been for the full 90 minutes because of being subbed, sent-off, or coming on as a sub. If the website is up-to-date and these statistics are based on 38 games, his playing time would be a maximum of 78% and in practice, was less than that.

I'm not sure if the coaches would want him to curb his aggression as that underpins much of his contribution to the team but playing time would seem to be a factor in assessing his overall value, both to the team and in the transfer market. Sadio Mane is logged on the website as having 37 league appearances, again not all for the full 90 minutes, but his playing time is significantly greater than Victor's over the season. Different player, different position and different contract period but Sadio would seem to be of greater value to Southampton and if it's not possible to hang on to both of these two, it might be best to focus on keeping Sadio, even if Townsend is available as a possible replacement.

if Mane leaves I hope the club are looking at someone better than Townsend as his replacement....

Before this season he had no red cards for us, so maybe this year is the exception and the others the norm? Indeed, for a combative player his career disciplinary record is not a problem.

Can't recall any particular free kicks conceded by him that have been overly stupid and costly either.

In fact, I would say that over his time here he has largely been available for a high percentage of games. Despite being an aggressive player he doesn't pick up many injuries and we have never needed to worry about his capability to play 90mins or play three full games in 7 days.

Before this season he had no red cards for us, so maybe this year is the exception and the others the norm? Indeed, for a combative player his career disciplinary record is not a problem.

Can't recall any particular free kicks conceded by him that have been overly stupid and costly either.

In fact, I would say that over his time here he has largely been available for a high percentage of games. Despite being an aggressive player he doesn't pick up many injuries and we have never needed to worry about his capability to play 90mins or play three full games in 7 days.

I guess that depends on how one interprets/defines 'largely available'. For instance, in his three seasons here, he's featured in approximately 74.6% of our league games, and started 64.9% of league games. For comparison, in four seasons, Steven Davis has featured in 88.8% of league games, starting 74.3%, and in three seasons, Nathaniel Clyne featured in 82.5% in of league games, and started 78.1% of league games.

Edit: I should've included Morgan as well, given similar position, three PL seasons, etc - 83.3% featured, started 79.8%.

Note: I haven't included unused bench 'appearances' for anyone.

Edited by Donatello

Agree with all of this.........

I hope the club's policy of not dealing with Daniel Levy continues.

This.

If we won't deal with Spuds I'm not sure there is any other team that is interested/needs Victor (and don't even think they need him now). Really not convinced that he will be off, all the speculation is based on last season, not this, and hope he doesn't go, he is too important to us.

haha - was that a "yeah mate, he's DEFINITELY off, e wants to be at spurzzzz dunn 'e" type discussion?

Not far off! The bloke was dressed in his best Sports Direct clobber, sat there smelling of stale fag smoke. Always a good look in a Doctor Surgery.

Totally agree. If he really wants to go, and let's hope he doesn't, we should not sell him until the January transfer window.

only problem is that if we wait that long *****il January) his price will sink dramatically with only a few months left on the contract, and then he is a free agent and can go for nothing. If he really doesn't want what we offered, it's best he goes now...... whilst we have a chance of recovering his original fee.

Some clubs were (supposedly) offering £12 million for Charlie Austin last summer while QPR were holding out for £15m. In the end they were glad to take our £4 million.

If Charlie were still at QPR today ..he'd walk away for nothing in June and be a free agent. Our £4 million "coup" in January was a no-brainer.

Like Man Utd would give a f**k. They never have done; they've bought and offloaded plenty of players over the years that "didn't fit the Man Utd system" or "couldn't hack the Man Utd media pressure".

It's probably true and Morgan may well be one that succumbs to that pressure.

I expect Luke Shaw will thrive when he's fit, in fact I hope he does as at least one of our decent nippers apart from Bale has to become world class.

But anyway, I think Morgan could easily be shifted on, no shame on either side, club too big, pressure too much etc etc.

As much as I hate to say it, I think there's a much higher chance of Schneiderlin going to Spurs than coming back to us. In fact if he were to leave United, he'd probably see them as perfect suitors... :uhoh:

As much as I hate to say it, I think there's a much higher chance of Schneiderlin going to Spurs than coming back to us. In fact if he were to leave United, he'd probably see them as perfect suitors... :uhoh:

Of course he would, unless he doesn't mind taking a pay cut of upwards of 50k a week, he's not gonna be back here. Not sure we need him now as much as we did when he left, what with clasie and romeu coming good.

At spurs maybe he can replace dier?