England Squad for Euro 2016

Batman

Goalkeepers: Hart, Forster, Heaton

Defenders: Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Rose, Smalling, Stones, Walker

Midfielders: Alli, Barkley, Delph, Dier, Drinkwater, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Townsend, Wilshere

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Rooney, Sturridge, Vardy

From that lot I'd cut Wilshere, Delph and Rooney. Obviously it wont be Rooney, probably Rashford.

Stones, Wilshere, Delph?

Jesus wept.

Stones in particular has been awful ever since the Barca links.

Wilshere has hardly kicked a ball all season.

Predictable that woy would pick him though.

On the fence about Barkley being in there as well.

He's been average at best all season.

The fact we have 3 CB's..I'd have to ASS-ume Smalling and/or Cahill are the starters.

Edited by Ice2Eskimos

Stones, Wilshere, Delph?

Jesus wept.

Stones in particular has been awful ever since the Barca links.

Wilshere has hardly kicked a ball all season.

Predictable that woy would pick him though.

On the fence about Barkley being in there as well.

He's been average at best all season.

The fact we have 3 CB's..I'd have to ASS-ume Smalling and Cahill are the starters.

Stick Ryan Bertrand in at CB, he's better than them! :o

Roy.....

picked 26 because there is uncertainty with a few injuries. Got a couple of extra players to see how they go in the friendlies

You have 2 cup finals to happen yet

disappointed welbeck is out. he did well for us in qualifying

we will miss him and sad for him

rashford has a chance. he has strong competition and will be interesting to see how he does but we will have a look at him

he has a big future and good to include him. He will need to do exceptionally well to knock someone off their perch but this will be good for him

wary about naming people in the final squad who are unfit

we will have a look at wilshere and henderson in the friendlies

would like to have had a few more league games

pleased to see henderson play yesterday

wilshere has been back a few weeks

these 3 friendlies will be important for them

I have enough players around incase others are not fit enough

will want to tell the 23 who are picked sooner rather than later

Baines has not played for england for over a year. Rose and bertrand have done well

carrick has been injured on and off and had to make a decision

only taking 7 defenders as wanted to take an extra midfielders

Jagiekla not in, it was my choice and that is part of the job. I spoke to him personally

Walcott out, it was another decision i had to make. Andros was unlucky to lose his place a while ago

Andros has done well at newcastle

Theo not playing at arsenal and had to make a decision

we have worked hard in qualifying, we think we have picked a good squad. Lots of new players in terms of international football

we have an exciting, young and energetic side. This is a positive

don't want to put expectations on the tournament. Leicester won the league and who predicted that, so we will see

players feel they can win every game

this is a young squad, not many caps and experience compared to our counterparts

Extremely harsh on Defoe, not sure how Delph gets in but otherwise a pretty solid squad for England. Still three to be cut from this after three friendlies, and this being England there will probably be at least one injury.

For my money I would have rather taken Antonio than Townsend or Delph, and Henderson and Wilshire don't deserve to be there but were always going to be included, same with Rooney.

Looks like a strong first XI to get knocked out by Wales!

Sign Bertrand up before Henderson starts whispering in his ear.

Klopp has way more class than do that.

Klopp probably has a list as long as my arm with his own players.

rodgers would do it because he was an unimaginitive moron who was clueless about how to build a team.

And anyway..

Lallana would be more likely to do the whispering. imho.

We have taken 3 CB's and Wilshere has made it. Wow.

The former I don't mind but the latter, honestly?

Good call from Roy IMO, he has been excellent in the (admittedly few) games he's played for England.

Wilshere played 2 PL games this season. What a joke. Woy must be ****ing him or something.

I can understand it if it was someone like Messi/Ronaldo. A player who is pretty much guaranteed to do something good. Feel sorry for guys like Noble who have been good all season and a lame donkey get's picked ahead of you.

Picking Wilshire is a joke. He'll be injured and he's such a grade A t**t that this'll probably give him an even bigger ego. Not sure what Delph has done to warrant it either.

Rashford surely isnt going to go ahead of Vardy and Kane (or Sturridge), or the undroppable Rooney (argh). It's a shame for Defoe, but he's not the future and would be unlikely to play much (if at all).

We're pretty weak at centre back!

Can't understand why they've not included Defoe.
Statistically one might agree. But I think we need to move forward not backwards. Defoe (33) is not the future and we have plenty of goals with Kane, Vardy and Sturridge in the team. Defoe is simply not required in my opinion- better off having Rashford along to train with the team etc. and most likely not make the final cut.

Wilshere played 2 PL games this season. What a joke. Woy must be ****ing him or something.

I can understand it if it was someone like Messi/Ronaldo. A player who is pretty much guaranteed to do something good. Feel sorry for guys like Noble who have been good all season and a lame donkey get's picked ahead of you.

This is a squad that has been built over two years - if Wilshere was fit he was always going to be picked and having not got into the squad over the course of this season, Noble was never going to get in there now.

On top of that IMO, when playing well, Wilshere is better than Noble - remember his last game for England when he was excellent and showed what he can do if on his game

Goalkeepers: Hart, Forster, Heaton

Defenders: Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Rose, Smalling, Stones, Walker

Midfielders: Alli, Barkley, Delph, Dier, Drinkwater, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Townsend, Wilshere

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Rooney, Sturridge, Vardy

From that lot I'd cut Wilshere, Delph and Rooney. Obviously it wont be Rooney, probably Rashford.

Rooney past it...but a shoe in

Barkley..poor season and a bit one trick

Townsend as above re one trick

Henderson...just sh ite

Wilshere....made of very fragile glass, hardly played

Sterling ..been mostly crap

Stones as above

Delph...overrated and hardly plays

Rashford is only in becuase he is at Man utd...

We will win it easy.....well one or two games perhaps...

Statistically one might agree. But I think we need to move forward not backwards. Defoe (33) is not the future and we have plenty of goals with Kane, Vardy and Sturridge in the team. Defoe is simply not required in my opinion- better off having Rashford along to train with the team etc. and most likely not make the final cut.

Rashford barely going to have a chance to train with the team. I heard on the radio just now that Man Utd and Liverpool players will miss the first 2 England friendlies anyway (not sure if that is correct).

He would be better off playing in the Under 21 tournament this summer, than linking up with the full squad - if picked.

I think it's an ok choice. Our centre backs are all sh*t so why take four? Cahill has proven time and time again that he's not good or quick enough for international football, but sadly he's still probably one of the top three centre backs we have. Let's just hope that Stones remembers what defending means before the summer and partner him with Smalling. I'd happily axe Henderson, Delph, Milner and Townsend. And I can understand that Roy wants to have a look at Wilshere before making a final decision - despite being a tw*t, we are probably a better team with him than without him.

That is a more progressive England squad with fewer big team players than I've seen in years.

There are of course the usual exceptions (Rooney ffs) but I think it is a relatively strong team all things considered.

I think that just shows how awful the squads have been in the past more than this being particualrly good.

Wilshere is a better midfielder than Henderson, Milner, Dier, Drinkwater etc so if he can prove he is fit then he should be picked.

If he isn't fit then he is one of the three who drops.

Easy decision for Hodgson and not sure why people find it so odd (probably because they don't like Wilshere or Hodgson).

Wilshere is a better midfielder than Henderson, Milner, Dier, Drinkwater etc so if he can prove he is fit then he should be picked.

Easy decision for Hodgson and not sure why people find it so odd (probably because they don't like Wilshere or Hodgson).

Not at all. I believe you should be picked based on current form (over a 12 month period) rather than your name or what you have done in the past. Wilshere did very well in the qualifiers but he has not played any internationals since June of last year pretty much.

In my opinion that is what has held back the team in recent years. The name is picked ahead of the performances. Rooney is another example of it. This season he has been ****. He scored 7 goals this season, compared to Defoe who has 15. Why should he be ahead of players who are performing better? Someone mentioned above Wilshere is better than Noble. He might have been 12 months ago but he isnt now. Noble had 7 goals and 4 assists these past 12 months. Wilshere had zero.

England will only improve if they pick players based on performances not players who are auto picked based on what they did two years ago.

Delph Hendersen Wilshire Sterling Milner WTF

Rooney I guess had to make it

Much as I dislike the hammers this year surely Noble should be in

I would even prefer Antonio to Sterling at least he is on form

Usual Liverpool Love in

If Roy ever picked that c*** then he can take the entire england team, support staff and team coach and shove it up his arris.

Not at all. I believe you should be picked based on current form (over a 12 month period) rather than your name or what you have done in the past. Wilshere did very well in the qualifiers but he has not played any internationals since June of last year pretty much.

In my opinion that is what has held back the team in recent years. The name is picked ahead of the performances. Rooney is another example of it. This season he has been ****. He scored 7 goals this season, compared to Defoe who has 15. Why should he be ahead of players who are performing better? Someone mentioned above Wilshere is better than Noble. He might have been 12 months ago but he isnt now. Noble had 7 goals and 4 assists these past 12 months. Wilshere had zero.

England will only improve if they pick players based on performances not players who are auto picked based on what they did two years ago.

England will never improve if they pick a player like Noble ahead of a player like Wilshire.

England will never improve if they pick a player like Noble ahead of a player like Wilshire.

Exactly. If Wilshere is bit then he is our best central midfielder (Alli is an attacking midfielder for the purpose of this comment).

If Wilshere plays all three friendlies and is fit enough then he will and should start ahead of the likes of Milner, Henderson, Drinkwater.

A midfield three of Wilshere, Dier and Alli just ahead is our best for a while IMO.

But to pick Defoe (as an example) of someone who should go on the basis of form (and using goals as a measure for this) excludes the shape and systems of the team. Defoe is very one dimensional, he's never going to operate as a number 10, wide or drop deeper to any good effect.

No major surprises in that squad to be honest. When it's cut, I expect to see Rashford, Delph and (fitness depending) Henderson/Drinkwater miss out.

I'd probably go with Stones and Smalling as the CB's, Ryan LB, Clyne RB. Go with Dier Henderson/Drinkwater in the middle.

Then an attacking 3 of Sterling Dele Alli, Vardy and Kane up top. I'm sure Rooney will be shoehorned in somewhere though.

Strange team. A lot of it is based on form and some of the players are there based on their club. Delph is a ridiculous choice, he played one 90 minute game all season. Wilshire I can understand, when he's on form for England he is good and a bit of a driving force.

Extremely harsh on Defoe, not sure how Delph gets in but otherwise a pretty solid squad for England. Still three to be cut from this after three friendlies, and this being England there will probably be at least one injury.

For my money I would have rather taken Antonio than Townsend or Delph, and Henderson and Wilshire don't deserve to be there but were always going to be included, same with Rooney.

Looks like a strong first XI to get knocked out by Wales!

Good shout! Does he qualify for England? Or Jamaica or someone? I genuinely don't know, but if he qualifies, good shout.

quite funny hearing Collymore saying Delph should get picked before drinkwater because he has trained with silva and toure all season as well as being fresh due to only playing 8 games

jesus. Only in this country would a key player from the champions get knocked for a player who played one good game nearly a year ago or when ever it was (away to switzerland)

I can't find the quote who said it above but defoe hasn't been picked probs for the same reason Baines didn't.

Woy said he didn't pick Baines because he hasn't played for England for over a year. (Bertrand is better anyway).

So that kind of means he couldn't put defoe in, he'd have been torn apart if he did.

Still stands to reason I'd have put Defoe in over Rooney all day long.

Hodgson just doesn't have the balls to drop Rooney.

No idea why either.

But there you go.

Why do people keep harping on about "the future"??????? Whats wrong with "the present"? Defoe is absolutely on fire and deserves a call up. Wilshere? Henderson? Delph ffs??????!!! Roy should be sacked now while there is still time to save some dignity. My prediction with that squad: 3 defeats

Why do people keep harping on about "the future"??????? Whats wrong with "the present"? Defoe is absolutely on fire and deserves a call up. Wilshere? Henderson? Delph ffs??????!!! Roy should be sacked now while there is still time to save some dignity. My prediction with that squad: 3 defeats

The future is just the same people moaning about players that haven't had enough sh it games for England yet.

Dele Alli and Eric Dier and the rest are just the players people will be saying "why oh why oh why do we persist in playing him...we need to get rid of him and bring some of the youngsters through" in about five years time.