England Squad for Euro 2016

Batman

Or, on the positive side, England can do a Leicester and win the whole darn thing.

Our squad is about good enough to finish 14th in the Premier League so on paper we have plenty of Leicester pedigree.

Or, on the positive side, England can do a Leicester and win the whole darn thing.

Our squad is about good enough to finish 14th in the Premier League so on paper we have plenty of Leicester pedigree.

Not a chance with Roy in charge!!!!

Because picking superstar players in the past has worked out so well right? (Lampard and Gerrard the golden generation etc)

Yes, and we reached 3 quarter finals going out on penalties, perhaps that's our level? I would simply pick the best players, Wilshire IMO is one of our better players. I think the problem with the so-called golden generation is that Sven tried to pick them all and consequently we didn't have the right balance in the team.

Oh and is Wilshire really a 'superstar player'? I don't think so. He was a young player who burst onto the scene with a lot of hype, playing for a big club and has suffered massively with injuries. Not his fault. He's an easy target for those fans who like to jump on the bandwagon and find a hate figure.

I'll say it again, Wilshire is a massive talent who when fit and in form is a certain starter for England. I very much like the idea of him playing alongside Dier at the base of the England midfield.

Noble gets lots of calls because he plays for the London media pet project called West Ham

He doesn't, he gets a calls because he's a very good player and should've had a chance for England.

He doesn't, he gets a calls because he's a very good player and should've had a chance for England.

+1. Agreed.

And also bit unrelated but..

Jason Puncheon has never represented England at any level including youth.

Unrelated but I was surprised by that.

Rooney past it...but a shoe in

Barkley..poor season and a bit one trick

Townsend as above re one trick

Henderson...just sh ite

Wilshere....made of very fragile glass, hardly played

Sterling ..been mostly crap

Stones as above

Delph...overrated and hardly plays

Rashford is only in becuase he is at Man utd...

We will win it easy.....well one or two games perhaps...

This. Good summary.

Flipping hell..

Hodgson.

Says this:

"Walcott simply did not have enough minutes to his name in an Arsenal shirt this season to warrant his inclusion in England squad for the Euros."

(puts Jack Wilshere in)

Pretty sure Walcott's played more than twice this season. :rolleyes:

Because picking superstar players in the past has worked out so well right? (Lampard and Gerrard the golden generation etc)

Well, would it have been better if they'd picked Chris Marsden?

Noble is perfectly good but not international class. A lot of his strength at West Ham is in his consistency and leadership, which he'd never be able to show from the bench for England.

As for Wilshere/Walcott, it's clear Roy means that Walcott has been available but unused or off the bench whereas Wilshere plays whenever he's there. I don't think there was another midfielder making a compelling case to be picked ahead of him.

Finally - you must be mad to dispute Milner or Henderson's selection. Good players both.

Edited by DuncanRG

Henderson's battle with Plantar Fasciitis means he is unlikely to manage the demands of tournament football. Players playing with pain are not going to be operating at an optimal level, and for that reason alone I don't think he should be in the squad. This season it has been evident that he has been struggling with this problem. No disputing his skills, just think he's now past his peak.

Wilshire is just one ankle tap away from going back to his wheelchair. A shame, as the lad has talent, but he needs to have a run of games to show he is over his problems. Wouldn't be surprised if he got crocked in the friendlies.

Well, would it have been better if they'd picked Chris Marsden?

Noble is perfectly good but not international class. A lot of his strength at West Ham is in his consistency and leadership, which he'd never be able to show from the bench for England.

As for Wilshere/Walcott, it's clear Roy means that Walcott has been available but unused or off the bench whereas Wilshere plays whenever he's there. I don't think there was another midfielder making a compelling case to be picked ahead of him.

Finally - you must be mad to dispute Milner or Henderson's selection. Good players both.

Milner I think is in the top 3 for assists in the League this season.

He gets a lot of stick when he's not a bad player.

Henderson though..

I don't massively rate him but he's obviously a contender for the final 23 based on what we have available.

A competition too far for Rooney perhaps, but it's really not a bad squad overall I think. However, you could have said much the same thing about England many times before on the eve of a big competiton and we all know what invariably follows. The obvious lack of a Tony Adams/Sol Campbell type bruiser at the heart of the defence is a big problem, but if the likes of Stone and Smalling etc can raise their game a notch (or three) then we have a chance of doing well.

Young Rashford has methinks done enough to earn his 'wildcard' inclusion - an exciting prospect.

Wilshire is just one ankle tap away from going back to his wheelchair. A shame, as the lad has talent, but he needs to have a run of games to show he is over his problems. Wouldn't be surprised if he got crocked in the friendlies.

I think he will always have problems unfortunately. He's bow-legged and runs on the outsides of his feet. Doing this will put his ankles, knees and hips under extra strain making injury more likely. Van Persie is/was the same.

I don't think it's a bad squad. Due to his conservative nature I didn't think Hodgson would ever take just three CBs, but pleased he has done, gives a chance to use an extra place for a good player rather than an average one.

Think Rashford will be left out the 23 and is there for development purposes. Even though I'm not against his inclusion per se, I think his style/positioning is similar to Sturridge and Vardy, so not sure when he would be used, as opposed to Carroll or Deeney who at least offer a different strategy.

I can see that Wilshere has got ability but his tendency just to run into players annoys me, and not having played all season is ridiculous. Really can't see how Delph gets in. Not a huge Noble fan, but he has to be more deserving of a place.

Other than that, there's not much I'd argue with. Obviously the Starting XI is a different kettle of fish. I believe you should either pick a formation and put the right players into it, or you pick your best players and find a formation that works. Too often we have meshed our best players with our 'favourite' formation, which results in players being shoe-horned into a position which they don't suit - think Scholes LM, or the whole 'Gerrard & Lampard can't play together' fiasco.

In addition to adriansfc above, the reason why I think Dier & Drinkwater would be a successful pairing in the middle is that the dual CM, one primarily a tackler, the other a tackling/passing hybrid has been extremely successful for several sides. Last season we had Wanyama & Schneiderlin, this season Leicester and Spurs have had fantastic success with Kante/Drinkwater and Dier/Dembele. England might not have the best players, but the squad is at least good enough to think that we can compete if we utilise our squad the right way.

Our level?

Whose? You're talking about different players, different managers and different staff from different eras.

The mentality of England fans amazes me. Countless teams do well at tournaments with half the talent we even have now. Greece did a Leicester with a far less talented team than Leicester. Every Euros and World Cup a few lesser teams go home proud of what they've done. We under perform and if you dare to complain people just say we aren't good enough. Sorry but not good enough only becomes an issue when you've got your pool of talent in a team playing as well as they can. We've never done it. It's not about winning the thing, that requires luck and talent in any cup, but the constant lack of team spirit, picking out of form players, injured players, players out of position and ignoring those from smaller clubs is getting really boring now.

In the world cup we started the first game with a team that had never started together. It was ridiculous. Yet what odds we do it again? After 2 years of the easiest qualifying campaign imaginable where we could have found a consistent team.

All I want to see is a team, people in their natural positions and no effort made to accommodate names, and that's what Rooney is. It's irrelevant right now what anyone has done in the past, it's what they can do right now. So unless someone thinks Rooney should replace Kane or Alli, he shouldn't be in the team. Wilshere can be good and would at least play at CM, but it's hard to say Drinkwater hasn't been far more reliable. Dier has to play. Personally I'd like to see Drinkwater and Dier as it would make a change to have the two most consistent CMs in the league there playing together ahead of all the names and big reputations. It would also add better protection to a really poor CB partnership.

You want a consistent team moulded over the last two years but it's not about the past its about now so why aren't we picking the latest flavour of the month players from Leicester and Spurs.

Clear.

With regards to the centre backs, we of course have three centre backs plus Bertrand. There was a lot of talk in the media about a lack of a left sided centre back in the squad, ignoring the fact that Ryan had played in that position in a number of games this season. Maybe this is Roy's plan?

After Scousehampton are played off the park 2nd half by Seville who could have had six

Does Woy still think that the core of this failing side including such wonderful performers as Milner and Henderson are really our best bets for European success? What will it take to end his Scousehampton love in

It's exactly what I thought watching that second half. It seemed strangely familiar and reminiscent of a standard England cup performance. They had no answer for Sevilla. Milner, Lallana, Clyne and Sturridge all disappeared when they needed to step up.

After Scousehampton are played off the park 2nd half by Seville who could have had six

Does Woy still think that the core of this failing side including such wonderful performers as Milner and Henderson are really our best bets for European success? What will it take to end his Scousehampton love in

Not that I particularly disagree but, to be fair, Henderson didn't even play today. Can hardly blame him. Maybe they would have won if he had played?

As for Milner, he does have a good game now and then; well one in ten, maybe......

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Rashford and Sturridge in BUT Drinkwater and Townsend out.

No surprise with Drinkwater- doesn't play for a big club :p

ENGLAND’S FINAL 23-MAN SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Ryan Betrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

Edited by nta786

As above, I'd have taken DD at the expense of Henderson. No surprise our lads are going but I don't expect either to feature, barring injury.

Bertrand should, but probably wont.

Drinkwater I think should be in, but probably linked to him having an awful game the other night.

No point in Henderson, he's awful. We don't have anyone to play LW, so will probably be either Rooney or Vardy. Shame.

Of that squad I'd have to go with Milner and Dier CM. Not ideal but they'd do a job.

Just have a horrible feeling it'll be Alli and Wilshere as the CMs, neither of whom should be playing the holding role anyway.

With the defence the way it is, wouldn't it have been worth trying the 343 that fixed our defence for a while? Rose is decent going forward, Bertrand decent as LCB in a 3. Smalling comfortable on the right, Cahill central.

Main annoyance is that we're still trying things and unsure about our team at this stage, again.

Hart

Smalling Cahill Bertrand

Clyne Dier Wilshere Rose

Alli

Kane Vardy

Too defensive?

Absolutely no chance they're going to try a new system 10 days before the tournament starts.

Bertrand should, but probably wont.

Drinkwater I think should be in, but probably linked to him having an awful game the other night.

No point in Henderson, he's awful. We don't have anyone to play LW, so will probably be either Rooney or Vardy. Shame.

Awful game where he was played out of his normal position! He was never really given the chance and Woy was always going to take Wilshire, Henderson, Sturidge and Sterling all of whom are hardly on form

I would have taken DD and Townsend both of whom are currently on top of their games also with no Walcott and Ox I would have thought Townsends pace from out wide provides something the rest of the squad lacks

Drinkwater decision is really annoying, he's been superb all season and it's in a position we're really lacking. I'd have had him and Dier starting and helping out a really weak defence. Only other options are Wilshere and Henderson. Wilshere isn't fit and isn't as defensive and Henderson charges off all over the place leaving big gaps. Really daft.

BUT, I assume as we all suspected, we'll have Alli out of position in a deeper role to accommodate Rooney behind the striker.

Couldn't agree more. In addition to Wilshere and Henderson, you also have Milner, who isn't really very good at anything, or in any position, and has done nothing in an England shirt for seven years.

You have to feel sorry for Drinkwater really. He's had the season of his life, lifted the PL and has been one of the best British midfielders in the league the last 12/18mths

Jack Wiltshire has been injured for 12 months, hasn't started a PL game and is in ahead of him.

You have to feel sorry for Drinkwater really. He's had the season of his life, lifted the PL and has been one of the best British midfielders in the league the last 12/18mths

Jack Wiltshire has been injured for 12 months, hasn't started a PL game and is in ahead of him.

It's just utterly ridiculous. Alli is the only other English midfielder that could claim to have outshone Drinkwater this season. A friend has sent me the squad numbers - not always reliable as an indicator of what's to come but the first 11 numbers are Hart, Walker, Rose, Milner, Cahill, Smalling, Sterling, Lallana, Kane, Rooney & Vardy.

I've often defended Hodgson but this has been a huge disappointment. Same sh1t, different tournament, regardless of manager. Rinse and repeat for England failure, then wonder why we can't get it right.

So we've got injury concerns over two midfielders (Henderson and Wilshere), but instead we pick a currently-injured Daniel Sturridge and then pick another striker, who's yet to amass 20 pro games and is still 18, and leave behind a midfielder who has just had the season of his life...

So we've got injury concerns over two midfielders (Henderson and Wilshere), but instead we pick a currently-injured Daniel Sturridge and then pick another striker, who's yet to amass 20 pro games and is still 18, and leave behind a midfielder who has just had the season of his life...

And we will likely play a striker who's also had the season of his life, out wide on the left.

I know England generally do it every time, but the Drinkwater omission behind Wilshere and Henderson, has to be the single worst squad pick in English history?

Also the numbers (unreliable, but this IS Hodgson's England we are talking about), indicate this as the preferred lineup and tactic;

--------------Hart---------------

-Walker-Cahill-Smalling-Rose-

-------------Milner--------------

------Lallana-----Sterling------

-------------Rooney-------------

--------Vardy-----Kane---------

Ok I won't argue the GK, defence and strikers, as they are reasonable even if Clyne and Bertrand are arguably better full backs (the difference is marginal for me). But that is one hell of a botched midfield, it's as if Hodgson has gone missing for the past 12 months.

Well we can't play both Kane and Vardy in the same position.

Or you play them both up top together, play a diamond in behind with Ali at the tip, Dier in the deeper role and Lallana/Drinkwater/Henderson/Milner in the two. Get Clyne and Bertrand at full back and get them to do what they're good at - providing width, and the two midfielders and Dier can cover the full back positions if reqd.

#Controversial, no shoehorned Rooney!

Or you play them both up top together, play a diamond in behind with Ali at the tip, Dier in the deeper role and Lallana/Drinkwater/Henderson/Milner in the two. Get Clyne and Bertrand at full back and get them to do what they're good at - providing width, and the two midfielders and Dier can cover the full back positions if reqd.

#Controversial, no shoehorned Rooney!

We were very poor with a diamond formation against Australia. Think Vardy could even find himself on the bench.

Will be interesting to see where Roy picks Rooney - he'll surely start, but who misses out? Alli has been superb just behind Kane, would Roy want to break that up. So will he be out wide - you'd think (hope) not.

Apparently Rashford and Sturridge in BUT Drinkwater and Townsend out.

No surprise with Drinkwater- doesn't play for a big club :p

ENGLAND’S FINAL 23-MAN SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Ryan Betrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool) :mcinnes:, Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City):mcinnes:, Jack Wilshere (Arsenal):mcinnes:.

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

Oh well... the :mcinnes: three are sh ite and one is made of glass and Sh ite

Rooney is ****e now too but is a must play

Sturridge another is another walking injury but a Liverpool player so say no more

Rashford is in because he plays for Utd...

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Jesus Christo. A team which is awful at keeping possession and is struggling in the centre of defence chooses to abandon it's counter attacking option (Townsend) and defensive mid cover (Drinkwater). Still at least we've got six players who can play in the hole, and 5/6 forwards!

Oh and superstar Barkley. :?

Every tournament we get the same load of people saying how uninterested and boring it all is. Seriously if you don't care then just ignore it all. The vast majority of English football fans do care about the England football team.

Have you done a survey?

I've seen a few people ar calling to utilise the "Spurs link" in the squad and I do get they had a decent season but the way they cracked under pressure at the end hardly inspires confidence. Do think RB should be in ahead of Rose though who seems to be a bit of a headless chicken. Bale will be looking forward to that match up!