Relegated Teams - Players who would you buy from their Squads?

le_tiss

Have admired Jack GREALISH for a long while. He's 23 and would thrive under Koeman's guidance.

His season was ruined by the media

witch-hunt and Remi Garde's appalling manner of treating him. Far from helping the situation Remi Garde alienated the entire squad.

Happy to see Jack called up for the Under 21_side along with JWP. Look forward to seeing if there will be any chemistry between their play.

Sissoko can be good, perhaps needs a move and with Clasie and JWP here at least he'd at some physical presence. Who was the striker they had? Perez? Someone scored a few good goals and looked lively but then rarely seemed to play, he was young anyway.

Wouldn't touch anyone from Villa or Norwich. Redmond has ability but he wouldn't get near our team yet so there's no point. Villa will struggle not to get relegated from the championship, I wouldn't want anyone involved with that club.

Sissoko is in the French squad for the Euros isn't he? And Morgan isn't.

Fun tw*t fact: Colbeck never actually said this - it was merely the offerings of a Twitter scamp, who worked out that slapping any old quote onto a picture of a random person very quickly spreads an "authenticated fact" among gullible internet tw*ts who'll believe literally anything if it's retweeted enough.

I'd consider signing Lascelles, Townsend or Wijnaldum from Newcastle, as Saints' squad could do with a decent young centre back to challenge and eventually take over from Fonte, a genuine winger and a goalscoring midfielder.

Wouldn't touch any of their other players with a bargepole though.

At Villa, Jack Grealish is a talented youngster who needs a bit of guidance. Not sure what happened to Adama Traore - he looked a heck of a prospect at Barcelona, but disappeared after the first couple of weeks of this season, never to be seen again.

Norwich were always a Championship side with Championship players.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Usually I would 100% agree with that.

But I'm pretty sure that the Day Newcastle was confirmed SkySports Twitter (or one of their accounts) Tweeted it or re-tweeted it.

(it defo wasn't a parody account.)

Then that was spreaded by a few pundits then all over the place.

So in this instance it might have been true.

Someone on here posted it a few weeks back and I think that came from a big sports proper website.

I'm sure there was a link to the website with the actual quote.

Obviously, I have no idea if he actually DID say it or not or where the thing originated from.

Whilst I agree that plenty of those listed above are certainly not at the level required by Saints now or going forward, I suspect many of those discounting the entire list due to the status of their current clubs would have said the same about Bertrand upon his signing.

Which, as I will freely admit, did I.

What?..Chelsea?...

He was contracted to Chelsea before us.

And he's got a CL winners medal ffs.

Why do people get so obsessed with bulking out the squad? It's never helped any club. You end up with lots of unhappy players and dross on the bench.

We have a big squad, it just needs first team improvement in a couple of places. We have Cedric, Yoshida, Gardos, Targett, Romeu, JWP, Reed, Rodriguez, Austin and Pelle all not in the starting 11 recently.

This. Spuds and Liverpool did quite well in the Europa despite not too big a squad, although admittedly liverhampton had 50 mil + reserve players. I think a cracking starting 11 backed up by a decent and hungry bench, Quite similar to what we have now could do well in all competitions, of course good chance for u21s as well. Crossed fingers about injuries.

Furthermore, Austin. Granted he hasn't achieved all that much yet, but lots of us (I include myself) were bowled over by his transfer in January (price may have added to the wow/shock factor, but many on here were calling for him to sign last summer too).

Yeah that's another good example actually. Can't be 100% sure that he'd have been a rubber-stamped success if not for the injuries, but certainly a good example against the idea that playing for a team that were relegated proves that you're definitely not good enough for a top-half side. QPR were terrible and were relegated as the worst team in the league, but their centre-forward was a good player.

Why do people get so obsessed with bulking out the squad? It's never helped any club. You end up with lots of unhappy players and dross on the bench.

We have a big squad, it just needs first team improvement in a couple of places. We have Cedric, Yoshida, Gardos, Targett, Romeu, JWP, Reed, Rodriguez, Austin and Pelle all not in the starting 11 recently.

totally understand - not obsessed but think we could pick up a few decent players who will help over a longer campaign - personally thought we were lucky with injuries last season and also we didn't play many extra games in Europe ;-)

Personally - Yoshida would be let go IMO but I like all the others - feel for Reed as he hasn't had a chance / run in the team, don't know how Rod will be when he actually makes it back - thought Pelle was off?

This. Spuds and Liverpool did quite well in the Europa despite not too big a squad, although admittedly liverhampton had 50 mil + reserve players. I think a cracking starting 11 backed up by a decent and hungry bench, Quite similar to what we have now could do well in all competitions, of course good chance for u21s as well. Crossed fingers about injuries.

Hmm, this is kind of an interesting debate but I'm not sure Spurs are a great example of that. Don't forget that they completely threw the tie against Dortmund in their pursuit of the PL title.

Perhaps even more tellingly, take a look on their forum: many of their fans have attributed their lack of strength in depth (the loss of Dembele and Alli in their final few matches being far more damaging than it should have been) as being what cost them 2nd place (Mason being the direct replacement for Dembele has come in for some utter vitriol).

Hmm, this is kind of an interesting debate but I'm not sure Spurs are a great example of that. Don't forget that they completely threw the tie against Dortmund in their pursuit of the PL title.

Perhaps even more tellingly, take a look on their forum: many of their fans have attributed their lack of strength in depth (the loss of Dembele and Alli in their final few matches being far more damaging than it should have been) as being what cost them 2nd place (Mason being the direct replacement for Dembele has come in for some utter vitriol).

I was reading it in the aftermath of the Newcastle game.

Funny as hell the meltdown.

but this was one of their fans:

"They're Cun*s. Forget about it and enjoy Summer. I'm not a trainspotter - I'm not even going to think about those cun*s till the first game of the season, and even then the overpaid bottling cun*ts can fu*ck off."

^ talking about his own team.

F'me..you wouldn't think they'd just finished 3rd..had the season of their life and are guaranteed CL football. :lol:

Thing is..spurs have massively over achieved and Poch is going to be judged next season based on this season.

If they ain't in the top 4 for the majority of next season, I've got a feeling his head will be getting called for.

Strange career for Andros Townsend who seems to be an accomplished player. Has been around a long time but still only 24. Several loans throughout his career so far haven't prevented him being picked for England at virtually all the youth levels and ultimately the full England squad. Little doubt that he's worth a place in the Saints' squad at £8m and maybe more, after which it would be up to him to compete for first team selection. Newcastle won't be keen to sell their first team players as they will expect to bounce back with promotion next season, but Andros is at an age when he needs Premier League football to stay in the eye of the England management.

Strange career for Andros Townsend who seems to be an accomplished player. Has been around a long time but still only 24. Several loans throughout his career so far haven't prevented him being picked for England at virtually all the youth levels and ultimately the full England squad. Little doubt that he's worth a place in the Saints' squad at £8m and maybe more, after which it would be up to him to compete for first team selection. Newcastle won't be keen to sell their first team players as they will expect to bounce back with promotion next season, but Andros is at an age when he needs Premier League football to stay in the eye of the England management.

Townsend looks good in a team who rely on their opposition pushing forward and leaving space for him to run into. He can also strike a good free kick.

He would be a decent option against teams who don't mind attacking in numbers, but I don't think he's a clever enough on the ball to beat his man with skill rather than pace, nor is he a player who can find space or killer passes against packed defenses. For example, note how ineffective he was against an extremely poor Villa side which was set up to deny Newcastle space.

Overall, he's no Mane or Tadic but has attributes that would be useful in games where we don't see as much of the ball.

Personally, I think Gana from Villa looks like a real player. Shows excellent determination and mental strength along with good technical ability in an absolutely terrible team.

Redmond could be good with some decent coaching , needs to work on his decision making and final ball . Worth a punt , I also like Brady as a squad player. Wouldn't touch Newcastle players , disgraceful attitude from top to bottom . Smashing Spurs by 5 made it even worse . As for Townsend , there's a reason Poch went out of his way to freeze him out . Look what he does with young willing players , but he couldn't wait to get rid

Yeah but if you put a 3 year old behind the wheel of a Ferrari, it's not going to end well, is it?

At that Ferrari might still have some good spare parts for your Ferrari. Of course, if you are trying to drive a Mercedes, they wouldn't be of much use, but I think I have gone beyond the usefulness range of the metaphor.

Wijnaldum and Redmond no one else and wouldn't pay more than 20m for the pair.

Weren't we linked with Redmond a year or 2 back?

Those 2 are pretty much the only players I'd take. If Koeman stays on then I'd be pretty surprised if we don't end up seeing Wijnaldum in a Saints shirt come the start of the season...

From Aston Villa: Carlos Sanchez (decent), but not Jack Grealish (overrated IMO)

From Norwich City: John Ruddy (competent), but not Nathan Redmond (overrated IMO)

From Newcastle: Georginio Wijnaldum (decent and Dutch), Ayoze Pérez (magical on his day), Andros Townsend (decent, passionate and English)

From Aston Villa: Carlos Sanchez (decent), but not Jack Grealish (overrated IMO)

From Norwich City: John Ruddy (competent), but not Nathan Redmond (overrated IMO)

From Newcastle: Georginio Wijnaldum (decent and Dutch), Ayoze Pérez (magical on his day), Andros Townsend (decent, passionate and English)

As energetic as he is, Sanchez cannot pass wind let alone a football so I wouldn't take him. Agree Grealish needs to grow up and improve otherwise he will just melt away.

Ruddy is just OK but I do think that Redmond has bags of potential that can be honed by a good coach, and I would not be unhappy to see him here. Only 1 year left on his contract with Norwich so should not be too pricey.

Wijnaldum is indeed decent, but only on his day. I'm not sure if he is consistent enough and same goes for Perez.

Townsend on the other hand - I would take him here in a heartbeat.

If these were the only three clubs we could buy players from then 'yes' to Redmond and Townsend. Ruddy CDAJFU in the Stek role, personally I would rather have Darlow at third choice and move Gazza on, no thanks to Wdam, I can't stand players that only play at home, though obviously he's Dutch and therefore guaranteed to improve his effort/attitude under RK.

But being as we are not restricted to buying from just these three clubs I seriously doubt we will get 50%-plus of next year's stock from the three relegated clubs.....

Usually I would 100% agree with that.

But I'm pretty sure that the Day Newcastle was confirmed SkySports Twitter (or one of their accounts) Tweeted it or re-tweeted it.

(it defo wasn't a parody account.)

Then that was spreaded by a few pundits then all over the place.

So in this instance it might have been true.

Someone on here posted it a few weeks back and I think that came from a big sports proper website.

I'm sure there was a link to the website with the actual quote.

Obviously, I have no idea if he actually DID say it or not or where the thing originated from.

Nope. Whelk posted it on here with no contextual info - I questioned the authenticity of the quote, but got no reply :)

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56485-The-Mid-Week-Games-Thread&p=2335701#post2335701

I tried googling parts of the quote with no luck, so I'd say it's doubtful that he really said it...

The only one i'd be interested in is Daryl Janmaat.

It's an absolute myth that this guy is any good, he had a half decent tournament for Netherlands a few years back and that's it. He was f*cking woeful all season especially in the game against us.

I actually wouldn't want any players from any of the three clubs and thankfully I think Saints are aiming a lot higher now anyway.

It's an absolute myth that this guy is any good, he had a half decent tournament for Netherlands a few years back and that's it. He was f*cking woeful all season especially in the game against us.

I actually wouldn't want any players from any of the three clubs and thankfully I think Saints are aiming a lot higher now anyway.

Myth? :lol:

Townsend has improved a lot in the last few games and has started influencing games more. For his £8 million release clause he'd be a brilliant risk at that price, even if he didn't work out. Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Perez would be worth punts if they were cheap enough, though Newcastle fans berated Wijnaldum for laziness before the last few games of the season.

Krul would be a decent keeper but would want first team football and question marks are still there over his fitness. I wouldn't touch Ruddy anymore, he wasn't even Norwich's first choice for some of the season after punching some guy repeatedly on a night out. Krul would be the only keeper I'd have from the relegated lot.

Redmond still has talent, and would be a decent wild card signing. His not being first choice was more to do with his manager playing a different way and fitting Hoolahan in instead.

Thats about it. I wouldn't touch Villa's players with a barge pole, although Amavi looked a decent left back briefly last year.

Thats about it. I wouldn't touch Villa's players with a barge pole, although Amavi looked a decent left back briefly last year.

Villa have been utter sh*te - But I wouldn't rule out a handful of their players doing WAY better at a more upwardly mobile club.

Remember how Villa fans laughed at us when we signed Bertrand?

Remember how Villa fans laughed at us when we signed Bertrand?

That was the year they stayed up, indicating they had weapons at their disposal good enough to be in this League, and besides Bertrand shared the left back spot with Luna. Their team this year has been utter turd, quite possibly a lower Championship-class side at best. There may be the odd gem amongst them (Ayew perhaps), but their confidence will have taken a whopping bashing from only bringing in 17 points over the course of a season. At least Newcastle made a decent fight of things in the last few weeks, that will have given them some confidence. Mind you, I can't see many wanting to leave if Benitez stays put. That's Newcastle's best chance of bouncing straight back up.

That was the year they stayed up, indicating they had weapons at their disposal good enough to be in this League, and besides Bertrand shared the left back spot with Luna. Their team this year has been utter turd, quite possibly a lower Championship-class side at best. There may be the odd gem amongst them (Ayew perhaps), but their confidence will have taken a whopping bashing from only bringing in 17 points over the course of a season. At least Newcastle made a decent fight of things in the last few weeks, that will have given them some confidence. Mind you, I can't see many wanting to leave if Benitez stays put. That's Newcastle's best chance of bouncing straight back up.

Going to be interesting to see how they get on for sure.

If Grealish sorted his sh*t out, there's a player in there. I still think there's a player in Idrissa Gueye, too.

• 2 months later...
Hi Gents, which players would you plunder if any? Wages permitting obviously

Mine below :smug:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Teams/PlayerProfiles

Wijnaldum, Townsend, Mitri, Janmaat, Sissoko, Tiote, Colback

http://www.canaries.co.uk/team/

Wisdom, Brady, Hoolahan, Redmond

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FirstTeam

Gralish, Gil, Ayew, Clark

Arise my pretty arise

So window coming to an end (week to go)

and a quick look at relegated squad players suggested

obviously we brought Redmond - still surprised noone has been in for Hoolahan

Clark gone from Villa to Toon

Wijnaldum to Pool

Townsend to Palace

and Sissoko is off to Real Madrid allegedly

Brady is still available (Leicester were after) as is Mitri but I am sure for ridiculous prices

Arise my pretty arise

So window coming to an end (week to go)

and a quick look at relegated squad players suggested

obviously we brought Redmond - still surprised noone has been in for Hoolahan

Clark gone from Villa to Toon

Wijnaldum to Pool

Townsend to Palace

and Sissoko is off to Real Madrid allegedly

Brady is still available (Leicester were after) as is Mitri but I am sure for ridiculous prices

The window Closes at 11pm on 31st August. That's over 3 weeks away by my reckoning.

• 8 months later...