Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

What exactly do people expect to be announced?

He has said he will be here next season and from his various comments is happy with having a year left and likely keeping his options open.

If we have a better, more aggressive summer in the transfer market then maybe he will sign an extension.

He said he wants to "see" the ambition, so isn't going to sign a new deal based on a Powerpoint presentation and some Krugerisms.

What exactly do people expect to be announced?

He has said he will be here next season and from his various comments is happy with having a year left and likely keeping his options open.

If we have a better, more aggressive summer in the transfer market then maybe he will sign an extension.

He said he wants to "see" the ambition, so isn't going to sign a new deal based on a Powerpoint presentation and some Krugerisms.

Not true he said it could be sorted as soon as this week. Expected them to say he's signed a new contract I don't think after what he said that's a problem.

You can't really sack the guy for wanting to stick to the original agreement he signed , not when he's delivered us 6th place . At the end of the day 3 years will be a pretty decent length of time in the modern game . The issue comes when managers say they're leaving . Even if Ron has no intention of staying past next season , provided he gives the impression he may do , I don't see it being too much of a problem

Ok, I'll share the minute piece of info I've been told. (I've said before i'm rarely given any info. The last time I was I shared it and it was correct. This is a different source though so not 100% sure how good it is yet).

He really wants to stay and is keen to sign. The figures (salary) aren't an issue. He just wants promises that we'll spend as he wants to overhaul the squad (I'm guessing there's a couple of players he has his eye on and we will lose one or two as well). Think all parties are keen to see the outcome of the FA cup which could promote a bigger budget if we go straight into the groups.

Good noises, they believe he'll sign. Not sure on the details though i.e whether it will be a longer contract or 1 year rolling etc.

With all that in mind he said he expects an update early next week when we know exactly whats going on with regards to the beginning of next season.

Sorry it's a bit vague, that's all I've got. xx

Edited by Shance

Ok, I'll share the minute piece of info I've been told. (I've said before i'm rarely given any info. The last time I was I shared it and it was correct. This is a different source though so not 100% sure how good it is yet).

He really wants to stay and is keen to sign. The figures (salary) aren't an issue. He just wants promises that we'll spend as he wants to overhaul the squad (I'm guessing there's a couple of players he has his eye on and we will lose one or two as well). Think all parties are keen to see the outcome of the FA cup which could promote a bigger budget if we go straight into the groups.

Good noises, they believe he'll sign. Not sure on the details though i.e whether it will be a longer contract or 1 year rolling etc.

With all that in mind he said he expects an update early next week when we know exactly whats going on with regards to the beginning of next season.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds promising - come on Man United then :)

I maybe naive but why wouldn't a manager sign a new deal? Would not deter any bigger fish coming for him as buying out a contract is small beer for any big club next season and no obvious job for him at the mo. He gets a pay rise and more security should he bomb next season.

Having said that respect his integrity if does just want to honour his original agreement

Anything Koeman has said about signing a new contract has been laced with conditions, large relatively intangible ones around seeing "ambition".

Certainly don't feel anything he has said has suggested a new contract was a done deal.

Nobody is saying that but it seemed like it was in the balance but looks like it's gone the wrong way.

Anyone know how many premier league managers have started a season with just one year left on their contract?

(Not asking this question to make a point, just genuinely curious as to how common or rare it is)

Cheers

Why would he want to overhaul the squad? Really can't see that happening in any scenario.

The board should absolutely go with what Koeman wants and get him to sign a long term deal, as long as the club operates within its means, what's the problem?

I would feel uneasy about Koeman going into the last year of his contract. Not sure it would be best for the club. I don't care what anyone says, it has an effect on the players, and recruitment.

I would feel uneasy about Koeman going into the last year of his contract. Not sure it would be best for the club. I don't care what anyone says, it has an effect on the players, and recruitment.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Utd IF they keep LvG too.

I don't often post itk bits on here, but I have heard Koeman and the board might be talking about a new contract and Koeman might/might not sign it, depending on certain things being agreed/not agreed.

Will let you know if I hear anymore.

I don't often post itk bits on here, but I have heard Koeman and the board might be talking about a new contract and Koeman might/might not sign it, depending on certain things being agreed/not agreed.

Yeah, I heard some whispers as well.

Coincidentally they match what has been said in public. I never say anything on here but when I do it's right and when it isn't it's because something else happened so that's not really my fault. It was still right when I said it.

#ITK

:lol:

I have just read something very similar to this.

So if RK does just wants to see his contract out, does the club let him or move now for a new option?

I think the issue here is more complex than we make out.

He said he will be here for another year an I believe he will. I don't think they will replace him, because why should they? He isn't doping too bad and iut is his team.

I think it is like thia:

- He doesn't want a new contract yet, but wants to agree how we are to proceed from this point on to improve.

- If the board are going to contionue to sell the team from ben eath him he'll go at the end of his contract

-If the baord don't back up their commitment by giving new contracts to the team, he'll go again at the end

-If they don't get his choices for strengthening the squad he'll go

- If they don't at least try to keep Mane he'll go. I don't think he's too bothered with Wanyama.

- If he's not convinced that the club will put their money where there mouth is, he'll go.

If all of these con ditions are met, he'll stay....for another year, until they are no longer being met, or he's got a more interesting job, and he will continue to do this until he goes.

So this thread will be a sticky as he'll do the same each year until he's off.

So nothign to see at the moment. Next seasons end is the crunch time. And in Rons mind, what he is doing is no big deal, is perfectly acceptable, it's the way he has always doen it, and what's the matter with the fans and media in this country, just have a coke and a smoke and shut the f*** up, it's business as usual.

I think the issue here is more complex than we make out.

He said he will be here for another year an I believe he will. I don't think they will replace him, because why should they? He isn't doping too bad and iut is his team.

I think it is like thia:

- He doesn't want a new contract yet, but wants to agree how we are to proceed from this point on to improve.

- If the board are going to contionue to sell the team from ben eath him he'll go at the end of his contract

-If the baord don't back up their commitment by giving new contracts to the team, he'll go again at the end

-If they don't get his choices for strengthening the squad he'll go

- If they don't at least try to keep Mane he'll go. I don't think he's too bothered with Wanyama.

- If he's not convinced that the club will put their money where there mouth is, he'll go.

If all of these con ditions are met, he'll stay....for another year, until they are no longer being met, or he's got a more interesting job, and he will continue to do this until he goes.

So this thread will be a sticky as he'll do the same each year until he's off.

So nothign to see at the moment. Next seasons end is the crunch time. And in Rons mind, what he is doing is no big deal, is perfectly acceptable, it's the way he has always doen it, and what's the matter with the fans and media in this country, just have a coke and a smoke and shut the f*** up, it's business as usual.

It is indeed complex but you've also missed plenty of other parts of the complexity - you focus entirely on the "board showing ambition/money where mouth is" line of argument which is quite a narrow view.

He might just want to do something different at the end of three years.

One can sense the aching desperation for a few on this forum to start wailing and whining about lack of ambition when he goes but sometimes not everything is about you.

It might just be about him. He's lived in England for two years, maybe three is enough. Maybe he is a contractual purist and just wants to be free next summer come what may. Maybe he just wants to sit tight and be available when the Dutch job comes up. Maybe he backs himself to be a Champions League level elite manager and wants to free to take that on. Maybe he wants a crack at Serie A. Maybe he wants six months off next year.

There's a heck of a lot of complexity that expands far and wide beyond Les Reed saying you have forty or fifty million in the transfer fund. That, clearly is not the only dynamic.

Edited by CB Fry

Whether he signs a new contract or not he will be here next season - I really dont understand why people think the club will get rid of him if he doesnt - it makes no sense whats so ever - he will be as professional next year as the last two years so what is the problem

Whether he signs a new contract or not he will be here next season - I really dont understand why people think the club will get rid of him if he doesnt - it makes no sense whats so ever - he will be as professional next year as the last two years so what is the problem

The main issue with this is that whenever it is known that the manager of a club will be leaving, the performances are almost certainly affected negatively. Wee Gordon for us and Pellegrini this season spring to mind straight-away. I would be amazed if he doesnt sign a new contract and still sees out next season.