Be a Red Devil for the day

Maggie May

Want united to win so that we go straight to the EL group stages. But it just feels so wrong wanting United to win. Almost as bad as if it were the skates in the cup final and our place in EL depended on them winning. Horrible

I'm torn tomorrow. I want to go straight into the group stages by virtue of a Man U win, but I also want to see LVG sucking lemons while he explains why he lost to Palace....

Manure win the FA Cup, Saints go straight into group stages and eventually beat Manure in the final, when LVG, still hanging on to his job, sucks his lemons. Sorted.

A United win please, as it gives our players extra recovery time after the Euros to be fully fit, holidayed and rested, ready for the group stages.

If I were a true neutral (as in not relying on a score for Saints benefit), I'd be rooting for a Palace win, as I don't mind them and Pardew, and have a couple of mates passionate about them. I suppose if Palace do win, we can still console ourselves that we're still in the Europa anyway, just will need to qualify, but have the added silver lining that West Ham and their lovely free stadium will be Europeless in their first season there.

I really want them to win it. Mainly this is selfish because I'm away for one of the qualifiers and don't want to miss out on any European away trips but it would also be far better for our squad to not have to worry about the extra games.

Whilst the Utd win gives us the group stage I struggle to want Utd to win owt. However, Palace winning thus denying WHU a place would be lovely even if it means us going into Q3.

Nah, I'm with the group stage philosophy - no hiccups, at least 3 (?) good European matches away, what's not to like? :)

A United win please, as it gives our players extra recovery time after the Euros to be fully fit, holidayed and rested, ready for the group stages.

If I were a true neutral (as in not relying on a score for Saints benefit), I'd be rooting for a Palace win, as I don't mind them and Pardew, and have a couple of mates passionate about them. I suppose if Palace do win, we can still console ourselves that we're still in the Europa anyway, just will need to qualify, but have the added silver lining that West Ham and their lovely free stadium will be Europeless in their first season there.

Sounds about right - still dislike Manu with a passion

I'll be cheering as if I was born a Utd fan. The groups would be a great cherry on top of a great season, especially if we get Inter Milan in our group and we get to see little old Southampton play at the San Siro!!!!!!!

I'll be cheering as if I was born a Utd fan. The groups would be a great cherry on top of a great season, especially if we get Inter Milan in our group and we get to see little old Southampton play at the San Siro!!!!!!!

pfft, Skates will say Ronaldinho's goal at Fratton Park was the best :lol:

If we aren't good enough to get out of Q3, then we aren't good enough to participate in the group stages. This season proves that - we weren't good at the beginning of the season. I am sure that lessons would have been learnt and the bull that went on at that time won't be allowed to happen again.

Wanting a ManU win. Guaranteed group stages gives Ron, Les and the board confidence in signing a full squad to handle 2 games a week next season. The fear of losing in qualifying again could stop them spending and make some players hesitate to sign.

Thankfully we don't seem to have any fans dismissing EL as tinpot anymore.

Group stages be nice but West Ham not in it and less time to wait for season to start proper will be adequate consolation.

Although if LVG also kept his job that would be good for us.

It really goes against the grain to want a United win, buts it's what is best for SFC rather than our personal likes and dislikes I guess.

Pros of a Man U win -

EL Group League for us, 1st match not till Mid Sept. Thus avoiding 4 extra games between end of July and late Aug.

LVG the clown maybe kept on as manager, another season of incompetence to follow.

WHU's season will start July 28th in qualifying rounds of EL disrupting their pre season build up, although judging by last season their starting XI not likely to feature much.

Cons of a Man U win

WHU get a shot at Europe, although if anything like last season won't trat it seriously and crash out at 1st attempt.

Ex Saints Manager misses out on a bit of giant killing

The pros definitely outweigh the cons so we have to sell our soul to the Red Devil for one afternoon!

Wanting a ManU win. Guaranteed group stages gives Ron, Les and the board confidence in signing a full squad to handle 2 games a week next season. The fear of losing in qualifying again could stop them spending and make some players hesitate to sign.

This. Makes going into the summer more positive for the club knowing what kind of a schedule we will be facing.

Just as an aside had a peek at KUMB to see if they have the same thread as this. Alas not. But they do have a mega thread going back a few months questioning whether they will get to Europe.

The latter pages I read are quite interesting as should Man U prevail this evening they will have no where to play the home qualifying leg as the Olympic stadium has athletics at the beginning of August, there is also a storm brewing in that they are selling tickets for THE 1st game at the OS, a friendly v Juve, for an eye watering £50 a pop!!!!! and it might not be the first game as originally billed.

........ It would be funny if an upset taxpayer with Gypsy blood had slapped a curse on them.

I also would like a Man Utd win.

going through to the group stages removed the hoodoo of meeting a team in qualifications who have a good day against us.

Also is it wrong of me to want Rooney to receive a minor injury that is just enough to keep him out of the Euros? Nothing career threatening just enough that the others are given a chance to shine? If it is wrong I'll take it back.

For me, I'm not so keen of being in Man U's debt for a place in the Group stage that I can want then to win today. Seeing the smirk wiped off Van Gaal's slightly odd face is worth playing a pair of qualifying games. I would prefer being in the Group Stage on our own merit and if we are hoping to do well in the Group, surely we are good enough to get past a qualifier. I'll be hoping to see Palace win today and would love to see Alan Pardew holding the cup.

I would prefer being in the Group Stage on our own merit.

At the end of the day (Brian), unless a team wins 100% of their games, every team is ultimately reliant on the results of other teams in the league to determine their final league position. If West Ham and Liverpool had the same results as us in the last 4 games then we'd have finished 8th. And we wouldn't have got 8th if it wasn't for Stoke's results in the last 10 games, etc, etc. I'm more than happy to rely on the results of other teams to determine our fate because "that's normal" (as Mr Koeman would put it).

Come on Utd!!!! :)

At the end of the day (Brian), unless a team wins 100% of their games, every team is ultimately reliant on the results of other teams in the league to determine their final league position. If West Ham and Liverpool had the same results as us in the last 4 games then we'd have finished 8th. And we wouldn't have got 8th if it wasn't for Stoke's results in the last 10 games, etc, etc. I'm more than happy to rely on the results of other teams to determine our fate because "that's normal" (as Mr Koeman would put it).

Come on Utd!!!! :)

Sorry I just cannot support United. I will console myself if they win by the fact that it helps us.

The FA Cup is a hell of a lot more important than which stage of the Europa League we happen to start in. So, come on Palace because the proper fan ALWAYS supports the underdog at Wembly ... unless they happen to be playing us of course.

I thought Utd were so bad these days that *they* are the underdogs...? ;)

The FA Cup is a hell of a lot more important than which stage of the Europa League we happen to start in. So, come on Palace because the proper fan ALWAYS supports the underdog at Wembly ... unless they happen to be playing us of course.

It would be if we were in it but we aren't. As much as I love an underdog story, Saints always come first. This reminds me of the "Would you like to lose to Leicester if it helps them win the title?" Thread.

Any other day I would want the underdog to win but I don't want us to be compromised, just so Palace and Foxes fans can have a bit of glory.

It would be if we were in it but we aren't. As much as I love an underdog story, Saints always come first. This reminds me of the "Would you like to lose to Leicester if it helps them win the title?" Thread.

Any other day I would want the underdog to win but I don't want us to be compromised, just so Palace and Foxes fans can have a bit of glory.

To be honest mate, whatever anyone here hopes for isn't going to make any difference to the match result. I'd say utd are very strong favourites, but I doubt that spiderman is watching this thread and thinking "blimey!! I'd better try a bit harder than I would have. If I get on, that is."

This attitude is too calculating for my tastes.

If MUFC will this game 2-0 and it will be forgotten as quickly as last year's final was. Should Palace nick it on the other hand - like we did back in '76 - then it means something and becomes a game that will live on in the memory. Once you remove dreams from the game then what are we left with?

This attitude is too calculating for my tastes.

If MUFC will this game 2-0 and it will be forgotten as quickly as last year's final was. Should Palace nick it on the other hand - like we did back in '76 - then it means something and becomes a game that will live on in the memory. Once you remove dreams from the game then what are we left with?

It wont live long in my memory; I'm sure it would with Palace fans but we aren't them.

Fact is we were 3 points away from the Champions League last season. Those Europa League games were fairly disruptive for our preseason and we started our League campaign with 2 draws against pretty poor Newcastle and Watford teams, with a spanking by Everton in their for good measure.

If the first half of this season had been as good as 2014, we'd have earned an extra 9 points by halfway. All things being equal in the second half, we could have finished with 72 points and in second place. Palace have a fun day out and a Cup final, like we did in 2003, but I'm not going to sit here and hope they win it and compromise next season for us before it's even begun.