Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

Is there any way of pre-empting the schedule before the draw based on our (prospective) pot?

Work won't give me matchday 3 off. Need Matchday 3 to be Home.

It seems to be 4 possibles and if you start at home or away you finish there as well.

HAHAAH and AHHAHA are good

AHAHHA and HAAHAH are bad.

When I first read this, I though you were laughing uncontrollably

Last season Ausburg were in pot 3 (where we are likely to be) and their schedule was....

AHAHHA

Monaco were also in pot 3 and their schedule was...

AHHAHA

These are two possible schedules that could happen but completely random as to which teams fall into each. There's also the possibility of starting the schedule at home. So being in pot 3 necessarily won't be the reason for having a certain schedule of matches

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Edited by marc_saint

No, there's no way of knowing which fixture pattern we'll get, because irrespective of the pot you're in they draw your position in the group separately to determine your fixture pattern. So even though Postion 1, 2, 3, and 4 have the same fixture pattern in every group, the teams in those positions aren't necessarily from the same pots, they could be from any pot depending on which position the team is drawn into.

Found the structure here http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

NB this is the 2015/18 rules, 2015/16 season version.

Page 20/96

Again, this doesn't really tell us much, we could be ANY of 1,2,3 or 4, it doesn't relate to the seeding pot we're in.

The following match sequence applies:

Matchday 1: 15/09/16

2 v 3

4 v 1

Matchday 2: 29/09/16

1 v 2

3 v 4

Matchday 3: 20/10/16

3 v 1

2 v 4

Matchday 4: 03/11/16

1 v 3

4 v 2

Matchday 5: 24/11/16

3 v 2

1 v 4

Matchday 6: 08/12/16

2 v 1

4 v 3

I've added the 2016/17 dates in to be helpful...

At a quick glance, getting draw to fixture position 3 would probably be the best financially, all the away match dates are at the start of the month. But then the draw is made on 26 August so that's when people need to find most of the money anyway.

Edited by The9

Saints’ Europa League/Premier League squad 2016-17

With the release of the released/retained lists, I’ve updated the information spread over 2 or 3 other posts to bring together details on when contracts expire, 25-man Premier and European squad rules. I’ll keep updated regularly but particularly when there are any departures or arrivals or errors are identified.

Note this is not a detailed analysis of what we need to do to comply with the rules just a reference list. There is an excellent blog containing that analysis produced by RedSLO:

http://redsloscf.blogspot.co.uk/

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/

First, the rules on 25-man squad lists – which differ between the Premier League and Europe.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Clubs must name a 25-man squad of players who do not qualify as Under 21, at least 8 of whom must be home grown players who have been registered with any club affiliated with the FA or Welsh FA for three entire seasons or 36 months before turning 21 (or leave empty spots), plus unlimited players who qualify as Under 21s. There is no requirement to split between Association trained and club trained as there is in Europe (see below).

For 2016-17 an Under 21 player is someone born on or after 1 January 1995.

EUROPE

The Europa League regulations for 2016-17 are here:

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/35/92/45/2359245_DOWNLOAD.pdf

In summary, clubs must submit an “A” list squad immediately prior to deadlines set for each stages, which for the group stages is 1 September 2016.

For all matches from the round of 32, a maximum of three new eligible players can be added to the “A” list for the remaining matches in the competition as long as the qualifying conditions are still respected (e.g. if there are already 25 on the list, a player must be omitted). They must be registered by a deadline of 1 February 2017.

The “A” list squad comprises players who don’t qualify for the “B” list squad.

o Up to 25 players can be on the list at any time

o At least 2 of the 25 must be goalkeepers

o At least 8 of the 25 must be “locally trained” - at least 4 of the 8 must be “club-trained” and a maximum of 4 of the 8 “association-trained.”

o There are limitations on registering players who have already played for another club in the same competition during the same season.

If a club does not have enough club-trained or association-trained players, it must leave the equivalent number of spots empty in the 25-man squad.

“Club-trained” players are ones who have been registered with the club for three full seasons between ages 15 and 21. The seasons can include the ones where the player turns 15 or 21.

“Association-trained” players are ones who have been registered with one or more clubs from the same association for three seasons or 36 months between the ages of 15 and 21. All club-trained players are also association-trained players for the nation in which the club is registered.

Clubs can register an unlimited number of players on the “B” list. Players must be born on or after 1 January 1995 and, by the time of registration on the B list, have been eligible to play for the club for any uninterrupted period of 2 years since their 15th birthday. If they are 16, the player needs to have been registered with the club for the previous two years without interruption.

Second, details of the squads as they currently stand in light of these rules.

Saints' Confirmed Premier League 25-man squad 2016-17 - until January 2017

By 1 September deadline we named the following 23 players in our Premier League 25-man squad https://www.premierleague.com/news/84136

1. Fraser Forster (Home Grown (HG))

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Florin Gardoș

6. José Fonte

7. Shane Long (HG)

8. Steven Davis (HG)

9. Jay Rodriguez (HG)

10. Charlie Austin (HG)

11. Dušan Tadić

13. Alex McCarthy (HG)

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Cuco Martina

16. James Ward-Prowse (HG)

17. Virgil van Dijk

19. Sofiane Boufal

21. Ryan Bertrand (HG)

22. Nathan Redmond (HG)

24. Jack Stephens (HG)

26. Jérémy Pied

27. Lloyd Isgrove (HG)

28. Stuart Taylor (HG)

Saints' Europa League “A” list 2016-17

We have named the players listed below for the Europa League A list. http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2017/clubs/club=52923/squad/index.html#ui-tabs-tab_TeamsSquad

We had to add two players to our Premier League squad who qualify as U21s in the Premier League but have not been at the club long enough (2 years) to qualify as U21 in the Europa League - namely Harry Lewis and Pierre Højbjerg. We had to leave a space vacant because we have only three club trained players, meaning we could only name a 24 man squad. We omitted Pied given his long term injury and over 21s who are out on loan.

So our 24 man squad is:

1. Fraser Forster (Home Grown (HG) Association 1)

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Florin Gardoș

6. José Fonte

7. Shane Long (HG Association 2)

8. Steven Davis (HG Association 3)

9. Jay Rodriguez (HG Association 4)

10. Charlie Austin (HG Association 5)

11. Dušan Tadić

13. Alex McCarthy (HG Association 6)

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Cuco Martina

16. James Ward-Prowse (HG club 1)

17. Virgil van Dijk

19. Sofiane Boufal

21. Ryan Bertrand (HG Association 7)

22. Nathan Redmond (HG Association 8 )

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Jack Stephens (HG club 2)

27. Lloyd Isgrove (HG club 3)

28. Stuart Taylor (HG Association 9)

41. Harry Lewis (HG Association 10)

Omitted

26. Jérémy Pied - long term injury

Paulo Gazzaniga - season long loan in Spain

Confirmed Premier League U21 players and players included on European B list 2016-17

Under 21s

18. Harrison Reed

30. Will Wood

31. Armani Little

32. Olufela Olomola

33. Matt Targett

34. Jake Flannigan

35. Alfie Jones

37. Harley Willard

38. Sam McQueen

39. Josh Sims

42. Jake Hesketh

44. Marcus Barnes

45. Ryan Seager

47. Richard Bakary

48. Ollie Cook

Scholars

50. Ben Rowthorn

51. Tyreke Johnson*

52. Dan N'Lundulu

54. Siph Mdlalose

55. Callum Slattery*

60. Ben Cull [uEFA site shows him as a goalkeeper and with squad number of 60, though that number has been allocated to Will Smallbone domestically]

61. Connor Langan [uEFA site shows him with squad number of 61, though that number has been allocated to Michael Obafemi domestically]

Included on Premier League U21 list but excluded from European B list

Eligible for Europa B list but omitted

Jason McCarthy - season long loan at Walsall

40. Sam Gallagher - season long loan at Blackburn Rovers

Scholars

56. Adam Parkes

57. Jake Vokins

60. Will Smallbone

Neal Osborn

Alex Cull

Javen Siu

Oliver Gardner

Harry Hamblin

Ineligible for B list (not at club 2 years)

23. Pierre Højbjerg - signed July 2016 - hence he is included on Europa League A list

41. Harry Lewis - signed summer 2015 - hence he is included on Europa League A list

Scholars

43. Yan Valery* - signed July 2015

49. Thomas O'Connor*- signed July 2015

53. Archie Thomas - signed July 2015

58. Aaron O'Driscoll* - signed July 2016

59. Jonathan Afolabi - signed July 2016 [in fact he is omitted from the club's list of Premier League U21 players as well for some reason]

61. Michael Obafemi - signed April 2016

Kieran Freeman - signed July 2016

Christoph Klarer* - signed July 2016

Rugare Musendo - signed 2015

Jamie Bradley-Green - signed 2015-16

Harrison Davis - signed July 2015

Harlem Hale - signed as U15

* scholar but has signed professional contract

Next season

Gallagher, Targett, Reed, Hojbjerg and McQueen who are U21s this year will no longer qualify as U21s. Gazzaniga will also return to add to the number of main squad players. Of the over 21s, only Martina, Isgrove a and Taylor (plus Jason McCarthy who will qualify as over 21 next season) will be out of contract and may therefore leave. So overall it does look like there is little scope to bring in new players without selling players whose contracts extend beyond the end of this season (though generally this has not been an issue!).

Edited by Over land and sea
Europa League B list announced

Which takes us into a period of time where Europa League is on the agenda pretty much every week....

Draw

20th June

First Qualifying Round

30th June

7th July

Second Qualifying Round

14th July

21st July

Third Qualifying Round (West Ham enters)

28th July

4th August

Play Off Round

18th August

25th August

The first matches are today

3 games at 5pm and one at 7.45pm.

In terms of our seeding, the only team playing in the First Qualifying Round that has a higher co-efficient than us is Maccabi Tel Aviv, so ideally we'd like them to get knocked out (and any other teams with a higher co-efficient) to ensure we are in the highest pot possible in the group stages.

Some matches to look out for:

St Patrick's Athletic v Jeunesse Esch (play Tuesday)

Play on Thursday

Midtjylland v Sūduva Marijampolė

Hearts v Infonet Tallinn

Connah's Quay Nomads v Stabæk

Linfield v Cork City

IFK Göteborg v Llandudno

KR v Glenavon

Shamrock Rovers v RoPS

Aberdeen v Fola Esch

AIK v Bala Town

Differdange 03 v Cliftonville

Mind you, no currency problems at Hearts, Connah's Quay etc etc. Fancy wondering who's going to get through these early rounds.

I hope The9 doesn't lose interest, we were relying on him for detailed and esoteric information about the tournament and the clubs! Is it a financial issue with having to replace your car then? Let's face it, Eurostar and flights should be a lot cheaper in the autumn when the schools go back..

• 2 weeks later...
Out of the British and Irish teams, St Patrick's and Hearts are both through. The rest of the matches conclude tomorrow.

I like following these rounds, some fascinating teams / places but the chances of more than a couple of them making the group stage is slim.

Hearts or Aberdeen would be good, also would not be surprised if Celtic drop out of Champions league into Europa league.

I was dreaming of a trip to Llandudno but their 5-0 first leg defeat to Gothenburg has ended that :(

St Pats or Cork City would be good but don't think an Irish league team has ever made it that far

The Punch and Judy show was quite good and the mushy peas in the chippy not bad. Mind you that was nearly 40 years ago.

I went there many years ago on a school trip.

A seagull shat on my school cap on the Great Ormes Head (if I remember the name of the hill correctly)

One did a few years back, they were in a group with Spurs and some Russian side i think. Shamrock Rovers.

Spot on. First League of Ireland team to reach any group stages, that was under current NI boss Michael O'Neill.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Cork City progressing tonight....much as I want them to reach the groups, I couldn't cope with a potential Saints/City fixture. Divided loyalties at all that....

Spot on. First League of Ireland team to reach any group stages, that was under current NI boss Michael O'Neill.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Cork City progressing tonight....much as I want them to reach the groups, I couldn't cope with a potential Saints/City fixture. Divided loyalties at all that....

Yeah good shout I forgot about Shamrock Rovers making it that far, they played Spurs at Landsdowne Rd didn't they? Think the Russian team in the group was Kazan.

spurs have had some cracking trips last few years including Tromso away inside the artic circle in December, I doubt we'll be that lucky but fingers crossed.

Llandudlo got knocked out, lost 7-1 in the end.

Connah's Quay Nomads, also from Wales, surprisingly beat their Norwegian opposition. They were the (joint) lowest ranking team along with a team from Gibraltar who also are in the 2nd qualifying round.

2nd qualifying round is next week and the week after

Dinamo Minsk v St Patrick's Athletic

Vojvodina v Connah's Quay Nomads

Hibernian v Brøndby

Birkirkara v Hearts

Aberdeen v Ventspils

BK Häcken v Cork City

Cliftonville v AEK Larnaca

AIK v Europa FC

And we want the following teams to lose, because they have a higher co-efficient than us:

Genk

Maribor

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Austria Wien

Partizan

The third qualifying round draw is next Friday, where more of the bigger teams enter, as do West Ham.

Cheers, keep up the informative work, it saves having to search the 'net..

Nearer the time you couldn't do a list of teams and possible airports? ;-)

I will have nothing better to do :D

We already know some of the teams that will definitely be in the group stages - so far there are a lovely cluster of teams in Western Europe with only three a bit further afield.

We'll also want to keep an eye on the Champions League qualifying draw and the 3rd round, because it's at that stage when the losing teams enter the Europa League.

I've just inputted all the possible teams into Google Earth.

So these are the closest teams to St Mary's that we could possibly face at the moment, excluding the other English teams

Lille

Gent

Anderlecht

The New Saints

Ajax

Feyenoord

AZ

Connah's Quay Nomads

Cork City

Genk

Standard Liege

Meanwhile, the teams the furthest away from us:

Kairat, which isn't that far away from the Chinese border!

Astana

Kapaz

Gabala

Neftci Baku

Dinamo Tbilisi

Shirak

Alashkert

Hapoel Be'er Sheva

Beitar Jerusalem

Maccabi Tel Aviv

:-) I fancy Fiorentina or Sassuolo, but then I do like my Italian food...

Still, glad to see you're ready for the 26th August! Cookies cleared, low cost airline web pages open (maybe even DFDS ferries'..) and off we go..

Sassuolo are likely to have a very simular co-efficiant to us so will be in the same seeding pot. Fiorentina or Inter Milan would be a great draw though

:-) I fancy Fiorentina or Sassuolo, but then I do like my Italian food...

Still, glad to see you're ready for the 26th August! Cookies cleared, low cost airline web pages open (maybe even DFDS ferries'..) and off we go..

I'm actually out of the country when the draw is being made, so someone else will have to work out the details with airports and routes.

But we'll get a closer idea of the teams we could face by then.

Sassuolo are likely to have a very simular co-efficiant to us so will be in the same seeding pot. Fiorentina or Inter Milan would be a great draw though

Could also be Roma if they lose their Champions League play-off round match

Celtic currently losing to Lincoln Red Imps (From Gibraltar) 1-0 in the 2nd qualifying round of the Champions League. :)

Good old Brendon Rodgers! The losers from the 2nd qualifying round don't even transfer to the Europa League qualifiers.

Celtic currently losing to Lincoln Red Imps (From Gibraltar) 1-0 in the 2nd qualifying round of the Champions League. :)

Good old Brendon Rodgers! The losers from the 2nd qualifying round don't even transfer to the Europa League qualifiers.

1-0 full time. :lol:

The dates for group stage games are set in stone, right? They're on wikipedia already. Games don't get moved or anything? Always on a thursday?

"'Matches in the qualifying, play-off, and knockout rounds may also be played on Tuesdays or Wednesdays instead of the regular Thursdays due to scheduling conflicts."

Possibility that they could change if two clubs in the same town or city are drawn at home on the same day. But unlikely

Mind you, no currency problems at Hearts, Connah's Quay etc etc. Fancy wondering who's going to get through these early rounds.

I hope The9 doesn't lose interest, we were relying on him for detailed and esoteric information about the tournament and the clubs! Is it a financial issue with having to replace your car then? Let's face it, Eurostar and flights should be a lot cheaper in the autumn when the schools go back..

Well, I either have to buy a car or not have a car, but we'll be going to Man U to keep up domestic aways 2015-17 just in case it's a consideration, so we'll probably still be going.

The trouble is this year the qualification doesn't really matter much, hardly any of the sides make the group stages anyway, I may have a look before the play-off round.