Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

Just Googled, turns out we got about 600 as did Man U when they played them in the knockout round. Their away section holds about 800-900 which is where I got that from (but we didn't get that option due to segregation, though fairly sure we discussed it on here last year).

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150811-tickets-fc-midtjylland-southampton-uefa-europa-league-2610572.aspx

Christ, reading that for a heart stopping moment I thought I'd missed the draw and we had them up first...

I thought we had 900 tickets in Denmark so I'm not sure where you got that from.

And with the exception of a few tickets not sold via the travel club, we sold all of the Midtjylland tickets to people who went to Arnhem, so the logical thing to do is Midtjylland AND Arnhem, then one of them with 10+ domestic aways and reduce the aways until tickets are sold.

Also having been to Inter last year, we'd get the whole of the upper tier at the Milan home end, which is probably where the 9000 comes from.

I hope this is not the case as despite going to 12 away matches last season, under your criteria I would not qualify for a ticket as I was unable to make vitesse.

Just Googled, turns out we got about 600 as did Man U when they played them in the knockout round. Their away section holds about 800-900 which is where I got that from (but we didn't get that option due to segregation, though fairly sure we discussed it on here last year).

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150811-tickets-fc-midtjylland-southampton-uefa-europa-league-2610572.aspx

We only had 554 in Denmark last year:-

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150811-tickets-fc-midtjylland-southampton-uefa-europa-league-2610572.aspx

I hope this is not the case as despite going to 12 away matches last season, under your criteria I would not qualify for a ticket as I was unable to make vitesse.

If I remember rightly we needed a minimum of 14 aways from the previous season to guarantee a ticket for Midtjylland so 12 by itself might not be enough for some grounds anyway.

Last season Midtjylland went down to people with 3 domestic aways so you might still be ok. All they have to do is insist on people collecting their own tickets...

We only have about 1450 eligible, assuming there were around 50 non-Arnhem who did get Midtjylland from late returns from the travel club. Not all of them will be able to go, and once they're out of the equation your 12 aways put you near the top of the next batch, bearing in mind many of the 14+ etc aways from last year's eligibility are already in the first and second cohort due to going away last time.

Edited by The9

If I remember rightly we needed a minimum of 14 aways from the previous season to guarantee a ticket for Midtjylland so 12 by itself might not be enough for some grounds anyway.

I think (saying that for everything now) it was 14 for Arnhem and then either 10 or 12 plus Arnhem for Denmark. But we couldn't shift Midtjylland at all due to the ticket collection constraints (which is why I think they'll do it for the first away game this time).

The other thing worth considering is that the first away will be September, the last won't be until late November or December, so there's no guarantee the criteria won't change as the season progresses. They might not announce all of the away ticket eligibility immediately (though as someone with top EL from last year who may go to fewer domestic games this season due to the cost of Europe I hope they do).

I think (saying that for everything now) it was 14 for Arnhem and then either 10 or 12 plus Arnhem for Denmark. But we couldn't shift Midtjylland at all due to the ticket collection constraints (which is why I think they'll do it for the first away game this time).

Yep. Just found it.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150811-tickets-fc-midtjylland-southampton-uefa-europa-league-2610572.aspx

given that between now and then we only actually have one more away game that will count (Arsenal) i reckon it's probably a fairly solid bet that the travelling support at Arsenal away will by and large make up the travelling support at the first European away, unless it's a big club.

That's assuming they 1) don't use last year's domestic aways - which we did last time and 2) they use domestic games up until the FIRST away for all group games. By December it could be very different (though they may allocate priority based on additional EL rather than domestic games, which is self-perpetuating anyway).

I am in Berlin match day 2, hoping for a local team that night

I have some bad news for you, using Pamplemousse's map, Slovan Liberec is the nearest team left to Berlin and they're in the Czech Republic. Hertha went out in the qualifiers.

Though on the bright side there might be a Champions League game? I haven't checked that.

Edited by The9

I really think affordable travel rather than tickets should be the primary concern. I've attended many Europa league group games as a neutral across a wide number of countries , big and small grounds and generally games do not sell out, even if you don't get a Saints end ticket there's usually the option of the home end, in a lot of these places they'll just let you in the away end anyway.

Think I'd still prefer Inter to Roma. Have been to both grounds and you only need to ask Spurs, Man Utd and Middlesbrough fans what Roma's hospitality is like, especially the night before the game. Annoyingly for San Siro for years they gave the whole lower tier as famous pics of Ipswich / Newcastle had but now they stick you in the upper tier nowhere near as good.

Dundalk in Dublin and Bilbao away for me.

Yeah, and thanks to the wonder of them using consecutive numbering for the ticket sales and knowing people who bought at 9am each of the first three days I was able to work out how many tickets we were selling at each increment in last year's thread :D. Again this year the wife has one more away than me due to the fact a mate has an enabler ticket which doesn't count on the attended aways...

Update with all CL Playoff second leg results up to Thursday and all EL and PlayOff Round first leg results below:

With 3 teams already ranked below us qualifying into the Group Stages (Nice, Zorya Luhansk, Konyaspor) and 12 teams per pot, but we need 9 other teams with worse coefficients than Saints to put us in Pot 3 rather than Pot 4.

2 have come from the

Champions League Play-Off Round

(losers drop into the EL Group stage and are marked (Q))

Dundalk(Q) lost to Legia Warsaw

Celtic beat Hapoel Be'er Sheva(Q)

Add the 5 matches in the EL Playoff Round where either team will have a lower coefficient than Saints:

Osmanlıspor v Midtjylland (1-0)

West Ham United v Astra (1-1)

Red Star Belgrade v Sassoulo (0-3)

Brondby v Panathinaikos (0-3)

AIK Gothenburg v Qarabag (0-1)

This leaves us needing 2 more results in our favour to get Saints into Pot 3:

All of these EL Playoff games which if the team in bold wins will add another team with a coefficient below Saints. We need at most 2 of those to make Pot 3 (and 14 of them for Pot 2 which is extremely unlikely). Red results are against us, Green in our favour.

Europa League Play-Off Round First Leg Results

(winners go into the EL Group Stage)

BATE Borisov v Astana (0-2)

Slovan Liberec v AEK Larnaca (1-0)

Olympiakos v Arouca (1-0)

PAOK v Dinamo Tbilisi (3-0)

Rosenborg v Austria Vienna (1-2)

Saint Etienne v Beitar Jerusalem (2-1)

Genk v Lokomotiva Zagreb (2-2)

Rapid Vienna v Trencin (4-0)

AZ Alkmaar v Vojvodina (3-0)

Maribor v Qabala (1-3)

Shkendija v Gent (1-2)

Anderlecht v Slavia Prague (3-0)

Shakhtar Donetsk v Istanbul Basaksehir (2-1)

Sparta Prague v Sonderjysk E (0-0)

Grasshoppers v Fenerbahce (0-3)

Partizani Tirana v Krasnodar (0-4)

Hajduk Split Maccabi Tel-Aviv (1-2)

The current total is we have exactly the 4 results we need. So Pot 3 at the moment... just.

Meanwhile over in the Champions League PlayOffs, all these teams have higher coefficients than Saints, but the losers of the tie has gone into the Group stages of the Europa League (marked (Q)):

Dinamo Zagreb beat Red Bull Salzburg(Q)

FC Copenhagen beat APOEL Nicosia(Q)

Young Boys Bern (Q) lost to Borussia Monchengladbach

Steaua Bucharest (Q) lost to Manchester City

Ludogorets beat Viktoria Plzen(Q)

Villarreal(Q) lost to Monaco

Porto beat Roma(Q)

Edited by The9

Also reposting this, updated with Wednesday's CL Play off results, emboldened CONFIRMED qualifiers for the Europa League group stages, others dependent on a result before Friday.

12 teams per pot (hence "estimated").

Pot 1

Schalke (GER) coefficient 96.035

Zenit (RUS) 93.216

Manchester United (ENG) 82.256

Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 81.976

Athletic Club Bilbao (ESP) 75.142

Olympiacos (GRE) 70.940

Villarreal (ESP) 60.142

Ajax (NED) 58.112

Internazionale (ITA) 58.087

Fiorentina (ITA) 57.087

Anderlecht (BEL) 54.000

Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) 44.585

----------------------------- Pot 2 est.

AZ Alkmaar (NED) 43.612

Braga (POR) 43.116

RB Salzburg (AUT) 42.520

Roma (ITA) 41.587

Fenerbahçe (TUR) 40.920

[sparta Prague (CZE) 40.585 or Sonderjysk E]

PAOK (GRE) 37.440

Steaua București (ROU) 36.576

[Genk (BEL) 36.000 or Lokomotiva Zagreb]

APOEL (CYP) 35.935

[bATE Borisov (BLR) 34.000 or Astana]

Standard Liège (BEL) 27.500

Saint-Étienne (FRA) 26.049

--------------------------------- Pot 3 est.

Gent (BEL) 25.000

Young Boys (SUI) 24.755

Krasnodar (RUS) 24.216

Rapid Vienna (AUT) 23.520

Slovan Liberec (CZE) 22.085

[Maribor (SVN) 21.625 or Qabala]

Celta Vigo (ESP) 21.142

[Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) 20.225 or Hajduk Split]

Feyenoord (NED) 19.112

[Austria Vienna (AUT) 19.020 or Rosenborg]

Mainz (GER) 18.035

FC Zürich (SUI) 17.755

Southampton (ENG) 16.756

[West Ham United (ENG) 16.256 or Astra]

Panathinaikos (GRE) 14.940

----------------------------- Pot 4 (est)

Sassuolo (ITA) 14.087

[Qarabağ (AZE) 13.475 or AIK Gothenburg]

[Rosenborg (NOR) 12.850 or Austria Vienna]

[Astana (KAZ) 12.575 or BATE]

Nice (FRA) 12.049

Zorya Luhansk (UKR) 11.976

[Astra Giurgiu (ROU) 11.076 or West Ham]

[Hajduk Split (CRO) 10.775 or Maccabi Tel-Aviv]

Konyaspor (TUR) 6.920

Osmanlıspor (TUR) 6.920

[iFK Gothenburg (SWE) 6.475 or Qarabag]

[Lokomotiva Zagreb (CRO) 5.775 or Genk]

[Qäbälä (AZE) 5.225 or Maribor]

Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR) 4.725

Beitar Jerusalem (ISR) 4.225

[sønderjysk E (DEN) 3.720 or Sparta Prague]

Shkëndija (MKD) 2.950

Dundalk (IRL) 2.590

Edited by The9

Also reposting this, updated with Tuesday's CL Play off results, emboldened CONFIRMED qualifiers for the Europa League group stages, others dependent on a result before Friday.

12 teams per pot (hence "estimated").

Pot 1

Schalke (GER) coefficient 96.035

Zenit (RUS) 93.216

Manchester United (ENG) 82.256

Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 81.976

Athletic Club (ESP) 75.142

Olympiacos (GRE) 70.940

Villarreal (ESP) 60.142

[Ajax (NED) 58.112 or FC Rostov]

Internazionale (ITA) 58.087

Fiorentina (ITA) 57.087

Anderlecht (BEL) 54.000

Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) 44.585

----------------------------- Pot 2 est.

AZ Alkmaar (NED) 43.612

Braga (POR) 43.116

[RB Salzburg (AUT) 42.520 or Din. Zagreb]

Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) 42.035

Roma (ITA) 41.587

Fenerbahçe (TUR) 40.920

[sparta Prague (CZE) 40.585 or Sonderjysk E]

PAOK (GRE) 37.440

Steaua București (ROU) 36.576

[Genk (BEL) 36.000 or Lokomotiva Zagreb]

[APOEL (CYP) 35.935 or FC Copenhagen]

[bATE Borisov (BLR) 34.000 or Astana]

Standard Liège (BEL) 27.500

Saint-Étienne (FRA) 26.049

--------------------------------- Pot 3 est.

[Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) 25.775 or RB Salzburg]

Gent (BEL) 25.000

Young Boys (SUI) 24.755

[FC Copenhagen (DEN) 24.720 or APOEL]

Krasnodar (RUS) 24.216

Rapid Vienna (AUT) 23.520

Slovan Liberec (CZE) 22.085

[Maribor (SVN) 21.625 or Qabala]

Celta Vigo (ESP) 21.142

[Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) 20.225 or Hajduk Split]

Feyenoord (NED) 19.112

[Austria Vienna (AUT) 19.020 or Rosenborg]

Mainz (GER) 18.035

FC Zürich (SUI) 17.755

Southampton (ENG) 16.756

[West Ham United (ENG) 16.256 or Astra]

Panathinaikos (GRE) 14.940

----------------------------- Pot 4 (est)

Sassuolo (ITA) 14.087

[Qarabağ (AZE) 13.475 or AIK Gothenburg]

[Rosenborg (NOR) 12.850 or Austria Vienna]

[Astana (KAZ) 12.575 or BATE]

Nice (FRA) 12.049

Zorya Luhansk (UKR) 11.976

[Rostov (RUS) 11.716 or Ajax]

[Astra Giurgiu (ROU) 11.076 or West Ham]

[Hajduk Split (CRO) 10.775 or Maccabi Tel-Aviv]

Konyaspor (TUR) 6.920

Osmanlıspor (TUR) 6.920

[iFK Gothenburg (SWE) 6.475 or Qarabag]

Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) 5.875

[Lokomotiva Zagreb (CRO) 5.775 or Genk]

Trenčín (SVK) 5.400

[Qäbälä (AZE) 5.225 or Maribor]

Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR) 4.725

Beitar Jerusalem (ISR) 4.225

[sønderjysk E (DEN) 3.720 or Sparta Prague]

Shkëndija (MKD) 2.950

Dundalk (IRL) 2.590

I think I speak for most saints fans I know when I say the dream draw on Friday would be

SHAKTAR DONESK

BATE BORISOV

SOUTHAMPTON

ASTANA

bring it on.

I think I speak for most saints fans I know when I say the dream draw on Friday would be

SHAKTAR DONESK

BATE BORISOV

SOUTHAMPTON

ASTANA

bring it on.

Ummmmm no.

My dream draw would be

Fiorentina

Braga

Saints

Nice

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

SHAKTAR DONESK

BATE BORISOV

SOUTHAMPTON

ASTANA

bring it on.

Utterly pedantic but BATE are playing Astana so they both can't go through.

2-0 Rostov so we are looking for another favour in EL Rosenberg looks like next best.

Utterly pedantic but BATE are playing Astana so they both can't go through.

2-0 Rostov so we are looking for another favour in EL Rosenberg looks like next best.

We still only need 2 more in total, Ajax weren't one of the "green" teams.

Edited by The9

Sorry....surely we want to be in pot 4 so we get three half decent teams and then can't be drawn against some minnow with a ground capacity of 4?

Depends what you want really. Wanting Saints to draw theoretically better teams is pretty weird though.

Just updated the post from this morning with the results from the CL games. Only the 22 Europa League Playoff matches to go later today (it's 00:12) and we'll know all 48 teams for Friday's draw.

FWIW I may not be around tomorrow evening to update (I'm sure you'll all cope), but there will be plenty of places to see the seeding Pots confirmed around 10pm Thursday night, and then we'll already know which 12 (or 13 if West Ham get through) teams we won't be playing in the group because they're in the same pot or from the same nation.

He just tells you concisely, doesn't complicate things like others.

Lol, the Wiki page will have a list of the 48 clubs in the Pots they're in. It'll be updated within seconds of the results and throughout the evening as games finish. It's already got a list of all the qualifiers and which Pots they can be in.

The fact that all of the other pages can pretty much tell you who's going to be where in advance (depending on who wins) is a decided bonus.

But if you really want to know, all you need is a list of the team coefficients anyway.

Both these sites have the draws for every round: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2016.html

This has every round plus is right up to date: http://www.footballseeding.com/european-cups/europa-league-seeding-16-17/

Due to Ajax losing (better coefficient than us, whilst Rostov who beat them have a lower one) we're actually ranked one place lower than we were before the CL playoffs began. But with two upsets already in progress from the EL Playoff first leg that will still leave us in Pot 3.

Cqp1Ih-WYAAZq2J.jpg

Concise - green is qualified, white are games tonight, but what are the red ones?

Ajax are confirmed and should be green, but AZ are playing tonight so should be white. Feyenoord are underlined too, what's that about? I assume the guy who did this is dutch? :)

Anyway, it's basically my list but without the ties which could go either way. Mine gives the likely winners, except where it can't really be predicted.

Concise - green is qualified, white are games tonight, but what are the red ones?

Ajax are confirmed and should be green, but AZ are playing tonight so should be white. Feyenoord are underlined too, what's that about? I assume the guy who did this is dutch? :)

Anyway, it's basically my list but without the ties which could go either way. Mine gives the likely winners, except where it can't really be predicted.

The all important issue is the number in the group we are assigned and what that means to when we play which opponent. Knowledge is power! :-)

The all important issue is the number in the group we are assigned and what that means to when we play which opponent. Knowledge is power! :-)

Yeah, once they've made the draw! It is a minor concern about the entire process that last season's UEFA.com draw video ends without that having taken place though.

Effectively you find out who you're playing but not when immediately (even though the fixture order is fixed, as you say, our position in those fixtures isn't - just because we're pot 3 doesn't mean we're "team 3" in the fixtures). Still, as I checked earlier in the thread, Spurs had the fixture order online within 15 minutes so even if it happens "behind the scenes" it won't be a long wait for the fixtures.

Edited by The9