Europa League Dream Group?

adysaint

when is the draw?

Friday 26th August in Monaco

1st Group Matchday Thurs 15th Sep (20 Days after draw)

2nd Group Matchday Thurs 29th Sep (34 Days after draw)

There is a possibility that teams in the same city on a Thursday may have games moved to a Tues or Weds.

So in principle we can expect 6 league games (at least) to be moved to a Sunday and this will be between September to the beginning of November? I suppose that these will probably be 3 home and 3 away but depending on the fixture list they could even he all home or all away although that is unlikely.

Based on my experience:

Inter is alright. There will definitely be space in San Siro, last time I went was a milan derby last season but still quite a lot of empty seats.

Bilbao is in a fantastic part of Spain, was there in March. Such nice weather and a great atmosphere.

Nice is also...nice. South France, good level of football.

But for me the dream would be Athens :) Went in Feb during Olympiakos Anderlecht game. Whole city buzzing.

And then somewhere in a new culture/bizzare - Khazakstan, Russian, Faroe Islands haha

I'd have to say Greece is not for the faint hearted, went to Athens with England in 2001 , it was fine most of the day in the main square but nearer the game they had a good go at attacking a bar with England fans in nearer the ground and smashed every window of away fans metro back into town after the game throwing bricks , probably has changed a fair bit now though

Last time I went to the San Siro the game was called off because a player in the lower league had died on the pitch that day,so I am still owed a gamer there,Saints at the San Siro would be phenomenal,without a doubt one of my top 3 stadiums I have ever been too for atmosphere

Absolutely this. To see us play at the San Siro would be magical!!

Friday 26th August in Monaco

1st Group Matchday Thurs 15th Sep (20 Days after draw)

2nd Group Matchday Thurs 29th Sep (34 Days after draw)

There is a possibility that teams in the same city on a Thursday may have games moved to a Tues or Weds.

Unlikely it'll happen in the group stages, just as likely to be a clash with a CL game on the other days as another EL game on the same day.

Most of the places where there are multiple teams from the same city in small cities where it might be an issue (Reykjavic for instance) will be out of it before the group stages anyway. The local police are already used to managing the situation for multiple matches in bigger cities. I can really only see it being an issue where clubs are playing at other grounds to their domestic fixtures.

Of the clubs in whelks table have been removed, either because they have qualified for Champions league or the got knocked out in qualifying rounds of Europa league

NB Austria Vienna enter Europa lge at 2nd qualifying round, Roma enter 4th qualifying round Champions league

23 of those teams ranked above Saints in whelk's table are not currently in the EL Group stages.

23 of those teams ranked above Saints in whelk's table are not currently in the EL Group stages.

spot on but 12 of those eg Roma, Anderlecht, Monoco shown @3 or @4 are in Champions league qualifiers

Some of these teams are likely to qualify for Champions league

I want us to get the easiest group possible and progress please.

If we are going to go far you'll have to play someone good eventually. The best group for us would be games as close as possible to minimise the travel for players.

I'd have to say Greece is not for the faint hearted, went to Athens with England in 2001 , it was fine most of the day in the main square but nearer the game they had a good go at attacking a bar with England fans in nearer the ground and smashed every window of away fans metro back into town after the game throwing bricks , probably has changed a fair bit now though

Heard similar from an Everton fan I was chatting with - they played one of the Athens teams in their Europa run last season - properly kicked off, hotel windows and doors smashed in. In England we're friendly non-threatening Saints who only Pompey have any real beef with, apart from about 50 pathetic Bournemouth yoof. In Europe we're an English team, making us a challenge for any hoolies, as we invented it, as far as they're concerned. We got off pretty lightly this season, there was that bit of aggro with Feyenoord fans in Arnhem, and nothing at all in Midtjylland, at least I saw nothing.

If we get a Russian team, or Croatia/Serbia, or Greece/turkey (Leeds!?), then it'll be likely much livelier for the away legs. Not sure I'll feel as happy to visit back street bars in e.g. Zagreb as I was in Arnhem, where there was also the WW2 factor. I was hugged by grown Dutchmen after we'd thrashed their team saying "we'll never forget the British", their second strip is the colours of the parachute regiment that almost liberated Arnhem in 1944.

spot on but 12 of those eg Roma, Anderlecht, Monoco shown @3 or @4 are in Champions league qualifiers

Some of these teams are likely to qualify for Champions league

Yeah, but the fact not all of them are is why we'll end up in Pot 3 not 4

I've always said as has Steve Grant that we are likely to be in Pot 3

Last year we were surprisingly close to being in Pot 4 (before we lost), this year I don't think there will be any concerns on that front. We only need 12 lower coefficient sides to get through.