VIDEO: Les Reed on Ronald Koeman's future

Saint-Armstrong

Timely video given the recent rumours and also today's news that RK has a new agent. I can't help but feel it still mirrors Clyne's situation last year RE: "talks progressing well". Hopefully the club are pretty confident in Koeman, and that they have aligned their ambitions before today, hence the agents only getting involved this week.

Timely video given the recent rumours and also today's news that RK has a new agent. I can't help but feel it still mirrors Clyne's situation last year RE: "talks progressing well". Hopefully the club are pretty confident in Koeman, and that they have aligned their ambitions before today, hence the agents only getting involved this week.

Lets hope Liverpool don't make Koeman an offer then.

(Did I detect an in-direct shot at Pardew near the beginning?)

Paraphrasing: "We want a manager who buys into the vision of the club, we've had three who had that."

Yeah, can see how that could be interpreted!!

I'm taking all this as very positive. The club must be confident he's going to sign otherwise posting that video and all the other signposts they have set up over the past few days is going to make them look bloody stupid if he doesn't.

We were looking for a manager to buy into the culture of the club

the last 3 managers have had that

Ronald ticked all the boxes

we recruited him under the radar, few headlines

we quietly get on with the job

Ronald buys into that, he is a good coach and good tactician

He has done a great job

talks are ongoing all of the time

conversations are always on about the future

we are building towards the transfer window

we want to retain the core of the side and the contract being extended show the start of that

no point talking about money for players unless all are on the same page

getting down to nitty gritty, details of the contract are with lawyers and co

that is where we are

Ronald's agent wouldn't be coming over in the next couple of days if Ronald hadn't signalled to his agent that his talks about the direction/ambition of the club had gone well and left him being up for signing a contract extension.

That's my take on it, anyway.

*Keeping everything crossed*

Paraphrasing: "We want a manager who buys into the vision of the club, we've had three who had that."

Yeah, can see how that could be interpreted!!

Possibly. Or maybe the "had" refers to the previous 3 managers.

Edit: Shurlock beat me to it.

My natural state of mind on anything like this is one of pessimism. That way, if this turns out to be a 'get it out in the open' last roll of the dice by Reed to convince Koeman to stay and it fails, then I won't be as disappointed had I approached it with optimism.

:)

Overall it's a nice interview, but why can't Les respond to the initial question "how impressed have you been with Koeman" with a straight answer "very impressed"? And then continue to ay everything else. It seems slightly arrogant to me, like Les and his team want to take the credit themselves and not give too much to Koeman.

Overall it's a nice interview, but why can't Les respond to the initial question "how impressed have you been with Koeman" with a straight answer "very impressed"? And then continue to ay everything else. It seems slightly arrogant to me, like Les and his team want to take the credit themselves and not give too much to Koeman.

Yeah a lot of waffle masking a positive but non committal statement.

Sounds very positive, iirc Koeman has gone on record saying things like his wage would not be an issue only the ambition of the club. Would be the most important contract signing at the club this summer if it is to happen!

Unfortunately LR has been confident new contracts would be signed before and they haven't happened. Full marks for putting something out but I still believe the odds are against RK extending and there is a hint of damage limitation in this interview. Let's hope this time Les's optimism is well-placed.

Is a DoF likely to say anything other than what he did?

Possibly not. But he will look silly if Koeman's version of events differs from his own.

As Armstrong said, if Reed says that there is no need for talks until both parties are aligned on the philosophical stuff then later says that talks are happening then you assume the philosophical stuff is sorted. Money shouldn't be an issue so assuming what Reed says is accurate then there shouldn't be too much of an issue unless other factors come in to play (or have done) such an other club interest.

Nothing's sorted so what's the point of the interview?

To calm neurotic fans?

To placate fans who are constantly demanding "communication" on the issue?

To put pressure on RK?

To fuel speculation to keep bored fans interested?

Who knows? But at least something's happening.

Possibly not. But he will look silly if Koeman's version of events differs from his own.

As Armstrong said, if Reed says that there is no need for talks until both parties are aligned on the philosophical stuff then later says that talks are happening then you assume the philosophical stuff is sorted. Money shouldn't be an issue so assuming what Reed says is accurate then there shouldn't be too much of an issue unless other factors come in to play (or have done) such an other club interest.

Exactly. This is all PR and posturing on behalf of the club while Koeman is on holiday. (Worth noting they did the exact same when they appointed Koeman; and when he did sign, they highlighted how it was always calm and well-handled by all parties)

We've heard from RK's representatives and the club's main representative (Les), on the same day, so it's all pointing towards an extension.

Ronald said he'd be having deeper talks with the club about ambition etc when the season ended, and before his holiday.

Well, he's now on holiday and his agents and the legal teams are gathering in the latter stages of the week. Agents and lawyers don't discuss the details of a contract unless the main man - Ronald - has given the green light for them to talk about and draft up contracts for him to sign.

All looking positive, if you ask me...

(of course some will point to Clyne etc.)

Seems like a bit of "in before the cats out of the bag" thing. In other words, Ron ain't gonna sign but the club is telling us that they've done everything they can.

Hope I'm wrong though, would love RoKo to commit for a longer term!

Would have preferred that didn't happen. Better to say nothing until it's done. Almost pandering to the loons on this forum there, Leslie.

You may have a point, but best not to ignore your customers the whole time.

Seems like a bit of "in before the cats out of the bag" thing. In other words, Ron ain't gonna sign but the club is telling us that they've done everything they can.

Tend to agree, Saints normally say nothing at all until a situation is factually resolved. New agents could be meeting club to sort out severance pay for club ending contract early, ie Ron having told them he won't be extending! All v strange, but like Crab Lungs, hope he does sign!

Basically saying, Ron would have not "bought in" to the club should he not sign.

I watched it three times now, hoping to pick up the optimistic vibes that seem to be the general consensus on here regarding the interview. My take, is that its unusually poorly edited from a top notch media dept. Indicating a rush job, why? While Les has always been a bit of a waffler, I don't recall so much stuttering during his replies, his eyes seldom making eye contact with the interviewer, like e's more uncomfortable than usual. Maybe indicating he's really trying to phrase his answers, or trying to word them too cautiously? He used expressions such as "Ronald's already come out and said" as if he/the club didn't necessarily agree with the way that Ron's massaged the timing and that they would of liked it done more in the clubs time/pace and without any media attention, its probably cost them a few quid, feeling like they now have to tie him down as he's said its down to the clubs ambition.

In conclusion, my take was that they are looking to sign an extension, but maybe theres not as much love behind the scenes as we would all like to believe. All IMHO of course!

So we shouldn't believe the words you can clearly see Reed saying?

Surely he has earned that respect?

He says there are contract talks, Ron's new Agent says there are contract talks and Reed says there is only any point in involving the Agent in specific contract talks once Koeman is aligned to the future plans.

Don't get the negativity?