Distribution of TV revenue

Yorkshire Saint

We spent most of the season doing nothing much in upper-midtable, hardly surprising we weren't on much. Norwich were in a relegation battle for months and still barely got on the box.

It's splitting hairs when you consider that next season the bottom team will be making as much as the top earners this season.

Putting in context, you have the them and us. The "thems" (the big clubs) who were shown over 20 times lets say are Arsenal (27), Spurs (21), ManC (25), ManU (26), Liverpool (23) and Chelsea (22). Those are the teams with the most "supporters" and therefore Sky/BT will have the biggest audience and the most advertising revenue.

You might have some explaining if you were LCFC being Champions and on a mere 15 times. Newcastle with 16 and Everton with 18 might seem ridiculous compared to our 12, but it comes back to "supporters" likely to watch it on TV. The quality of football that is likely to be shown seemingly has little to do with the decision to show the game.

Of our 12, who were they against? Spurs, ManC, Leicester, Bournemouthx2, WHU, Chelsea, Liverpoolx2, Man U, Norwich, Everton - I think that that is it.

Putting in context, you have the them and us. The "thems" (the big clubs) who were shown over 20 times lets say are Arsenal (27), Spurs (21), ManC (25), ManU (26), Liverpool (23) and Chelsea (22). Those are the teams with the most "supporters" and therefore Sky/BT will have the biggest audience and the most advertising revenue.

You might have some explaining if you were LCFC being Champions and on a mere 15 times. Newcastle with 16 and Everton with 18 might seem ridiculous compared to our 12, but it comes back to "supporters" likely to watch it on TV. The quality of football that is likely to be shown seemingly has little to do with the decision to show the game.

Of our 12, who were they against? Spurs, ManC, Leicester, Bournemouthx2, WHU, Chelsea, Liverpoolx2, Man U, Norwich, Everton - I think that that is it.

It is quite predictable. We had 13 games season before and average number.

You say quality of football has nothing to do with it but I would disagree - Stoke have never have had more than minimum games (8) and season before were topped up as weren't even shown that many but receive same amount as if having 8 games televised.

And would have no way said Leicester were only on 3 games more than us. Seemed like every game they played for last couple of months was televised.

One of the benefits of playing Europa is that we'll always have Sunday games after Thursday night games. More chance to get a TV spot on Sunday with fewer games to choose from.

Added to that, I would assume that our Europa games may be televised also?

fair?

the TV revenue in the premier league is as fair as it gets on this front

thankfully, we dont have a system like they do in the other big leagues

I think we'd see some squealing on here if the global TV revenue really was distributed fairly to the clubs people actually want to watch.

fair?

the TV revenue in the premier league is as fair as it gets on this front

thankfully, we dont have a system like they do in the other big leagues

If we were Bilbao fans reading their spread of the La Liga TV money, this place really would be in meltdown as soon as you see Real Madrid and Barcelona getting 55% of the pot!!

So where does the TV money go if the money we have used for the transfers in past two years has solely been from the money raised through selling?

In 2014-2015 the total wage cost for the entire staff was 80.4 million pounds so I guess you could say that is where the TV money does.

If we were Bilbao fans reading their spread of the La Liga TV money, this place really would be in meltdown as soon as you see Real Madrid and Barcelona getting 55% of the pot!!

Seems things have changed.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/spanish-la-liga-new-3-year-tv-deal-worth-e2-65-billion/

Spanish League has announced the new 3 year deal for domestic TV rights worth €2.65 billion (£1.8 billion). The deal will come into play from 2016-17 season to 2018-19. Its a significant increase in domestic rights sale which now follows the equal “distribution model” set by premier league. Before this deal Spanish top division clubs could negotiate their individual deals but with the new law passed in spain Spanish FA sold combined rights of all La Liga teams.

TBH if you asked the true supporters of the big clubs in this country whether they like the league as it is now, rather than having a duopoly with the occasional interloper, I suspect that they would prefer things in their current format. They might lose out with the TV money on one hand, but on the other, it makes the league more interesting and more marketable overseas thus increasing revenue. As it is, I think that the distribution of money is far too concentrated at the top and more should filter down the leagues to the grass roots.

There was a table produced in the Sunday Times on May 16th ie before the last Prem game Man Utd v Boscombe which predicted a revised revenue for Saints of £125.1m for the season 2016/17

I assume this was based on a number of variables eg us finishing 5th (which was the position shown in the table at the time of publication) and revenue from 12 TV games but the increased revenue of approx. 50% is interesting and hopefully enables us to move forward

Out of interest Arsenal had the highest expected revenue of £151m whilst the lowest would be the equivalent of Norwich at £99.8m

There was a table produced in the Sunday Times on May 16th ie before the last Prem game Man Utd v Boscombe which predicted a revised revenue for Saints of £125.1m for the season 2016/17

I assume this was based on a number of variables eg us finishing 5th (which was the position shown in the table at the time of publication) and revenue from 12 TV games but the increased revenue of approx. 50% is interesting and hopefully enables us to move forward

Out of interest Arsenal had the highest expected revenue of £151m whilst the lowest would be the equivalent of Norwich at £99.8m

This is just money from the premier league 2015/16, did you mean this year or next year? Also it doesn't included ticket sales, shirt sales, player sales etc.

Seems things have changed.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/spanish-la-liga-new-3-year-tv-deal-worth-e2-65-billion/

Spanish League has announced the new 3 year deal for domestic TV rights worth €2.65 billion (£1.8 billion). The deal will come into play from 2016-17 season to 2018-19. Its a significant increase in domestic rights sale which now follows the equal “distribution model” set by premier league. Before this deal Spanish top division clubs could negotiate their individual deals but with the new law passed in spain Spanish FA sold combined rights of all La Liga teams.

TBH if you asked the true supporters of the big clubs in this country whether they like the league as it is now, rather than having a duopoly with the occasional interloper, I suspect that they would prefer things in their current format. They might lose out with the TV money on one hand, but on the other, it makes the league more interesting and more marketable overseas thus increasing revenue. As it is, I think that the distribution of money is far too concentrated at the top and more should filter down the leagues to the grass roots.

With one notable exception, of course.