New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Jurgen Klinsmann @ 33/1 is an interesting one. If USA lose to Ecuador in the quarter final of Copa America on Thurs then his time as USA manager could be over.

He likes to develop players. Could be a good fit for Saints.

Hi guys, this is my first post, so please don't burn me... ☺️I've been lurking on the board for a while, and although I don't have any connection with Southampton or UK as such, I've been closely following English football since late 80's... Never had a club that I really supported until couple of years ago, when Southampton continuous rise from the ashes really made me appreciate them. Anyway, enough about me, what I was wondering is what do you guys think about possibility (although it might be highly unlikely) of Ryan Giggs taking over managerial role at Saints? After all, with Mourihno in charge, he's more than likely to leave Manchester United, and although he might not be proven in the role, I don't think that it would be too hard for him to adjust to it. Anyway, just curious what do you guys think about it...

Giggs would be a massive risk as he has only been a 1st team (interim) manager for 4 games. I'd be amazed if Southampton appointed him, as I doubt he ticks many of Les Reed's criteria at all for a new manager.

We've just finished 6th in the Premier League, in the Europa League group stage next season, will offer a decent salary and have a squad full of internationals; this isn't the time to be the testing ground for potential future Man Utd managers. Giggs needs to look for a job in the Championship. The job at Southampton should really be attractive enough to appeal to a relatively high calibre of manager with a good managerial track record.

Early doors granted, with FDB current favourite at bookies, just wondered if he had moved up our list slightly! Honestly, think this would still be a good move re continuity.

Early doors? This has been going on for about 2 weeks or so. Our succession planning is always much lauded, if so we should have had a list of candidates before this all kicked off, and hopefully the top 2 or 3 sounded out and now down to our top target, who should be in place in the next day or so. Then again,not everyone is sucked in by the bull****. I guess we'll see. Sky report just now sounds like we are in no hurry which makes me think it could be a week or so at least before we know anything. Still think de Boer is the right fit, unless Ivan Golac's arrival in the City tomorrow is to finalise his deal :)

Giggs would never put his heart into Southampton, his head would always be somewhere else

...and his **** a number of other places. He can't even be loyal to his wife or brother, he'd **** us good and proper.

Why is his name even coming up? He's totally unproven. Ask Blackburn how they fared with Brian Kidd.

This reply is not aimed at you. Just can't believe some are suggesting Giggs. Made me throw up in my mouth a bit.

I knew I shouldn't have come here. Mongs!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I just went on twitter for the first time. This place is nothing by comparison. Loads of job knockeys on there.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Jaap Stam, who was in charge of the Ajax kids, was appointed Reading boss yesterday.

Keep a watching brief on him for a couple of years while he learns his trade.

Has gone down like a nasty turd with Reading fans I've spoken to. Predicting them doing a Bolton next season. That'd be funny.

No chance of Giggs. He needs to learn his trade lower down the pyramid.

Also, interesting he gets zero flak whatsoever for being a key member of the coaching team during LVG's tenure. If they had done well he would have been praised so interesting to note it doesn't work both ways.

I agree he needs to learn his trade at a club low down the pyramid first, but ManU did do quite well after a poor start, and who's to say that Giggs was not influential in their good late season run?

Jurgen Klinsmann @ 33/1 is an interesting one. If USA lose to Ecuador in the quarter final of Copa America on Thurs then his time as USA manager could be over.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/2888187/united-states-results-under-jurgen-klinsmann-now-what-we-hoped-for-says-sunil-gulati

Looks like the USA are preparing to part company with Jurgen Klinsmann. Can I be first to nominate him as the mystery man.?

Thinking the same a few days ago. And ties in with our American links. 33/1 eh? Worth a punt

Thinking the same a few days ago. And ties in with our American links. 33/1 eh? Worth a punt

I'd be amazed, he's really settled in California these days, is a US citizen and has two older kids at college here. Cant see him swopping LA to Soton.

And only ever had international jobs, which are basically part time. No league experience, and if it did go well by some miracle, in a couple of years when Poch leaves Spurs for bigger things, he'd return to his spiritual home and we'd all throw up in our mouths.

Isn't this the whole issue though. If our next manager is poached in two years it means we've had a successful two years. I'd take it. If Koeman's reign had been mediocre (low/mid table or worse) in the last two years then we'd probably be on the lookout for a new manager anyway, just for different reasons.

And only ever had international jobs, which are basically part time. No league experience, and if it did go well by some miracle, in a couple of years when Poch leaves Spurs for bigger things, he'd return to his spiritual home and we'd all throw up in our mouths.

Did he not manage Bayern Munich for about 1 season, think he did.

That aside it's still a pretty ridiculous idea anyway.

If FdeB is back to top of thr list..cheers! My first choice, vast experience of managing, top player in his day, well known by our Dutch contingent, continues the Bercelona contact, sign of the club's great ambition but Eddie howe would be several steps down even if he is a nice guy.

Losing Ron feels like you've broken up with an ugly bird... she had her good points, was miserable as f**k in December, recovered that but ultimately she's run her course and the relationship has gone as far as it could.

I get it: she kept on saying "notnowcato".

It seems maybe two years is a good number provided the new incoming manager continues the progress. It stops complacency creeping in and allows a new impetus on a regular basis. How many times have we seen managers stay too long and taking a club downwards before being sacked and a rescue having to be carried out by somebody else. We may have dodged a bullet.

Good, as we don't ant him. Potential but far too inexperienced IMHO.

Our Club might. I'm not overly bothered either way with Howe but if he is hypothetically our no1 then I would hope we at least got the chance to speak to him.

Fair play to Howe for being genuinely loyal anyway. When he does leave Bmth it will hurt him.

I'm a big Klinsmann fan. He would be a big draw recruiting and keeping international players.

Our Club might. I'm not overly bothered either way with Howe but if he is hypothetically our no1 then I would hope we at least got the chance to speak to him.

Fair play to Howe for being genuinely loyal anyway. When he does leave Bmth it will hurt him.

Exactly, there clearly is an interest in Howe from the club, so there's no point in us turning our noses up/acting as if he's beneath us if he flat out rejects the idea. Still, I'd be hopeful that we sign someone with a heavier/more influential name in Europe/the World (as good as I'm sure Howe is).

Howe said he was staying just before he went to Burnley if I recall correctly.

Wasn't there there weird situation where he was thinking about going to Charlton... Thought about it... played squash with Eddie Mitchell, announced he was staying... then Burnley came in and he went there straight away!

Bournemouth was a different proposition back then. Howe probably thought the Burnley job was his chance to manage a club in the Premier League - didn't work out - and the Bournemouth he went back to suddenly found some money.

Would be very surprised if Howe left - unless of course the Everton job comes up at Christmas. :lol:

Let's not pretend Howe is some pillar of loyalty, he jumped ship and failed and was incredibly lucky that Bournemouth were willing to give him a second chance and he has it about as comfortable as it can get. If I was him I wouldn't be leaving there in a hurry.

From the well connected Bmth Echo:

@amitchellecho: Koeman finally being appointed by Everton changes nothing. Eddie Howe is going nowhere #afcb #utciad https://t.co/rSVgcQzs9V

That doesn't really mean much. He had similar stories when going from Bournemouth to Burnley and Burnley to Bournemouth.

For example...

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9965252.display/

January 11 2011:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bournemouth/9357904.stm

Bournemouth have confirmed that manager Eddie Howe will stay at Dean Court.

Howe, 33, who has been in the role since 31 December 2008, had been linked with vacancies at Crystal Palace, Burnley and Charlton Athletic.

Howe told BBC Radio Solent: "I came close to leaving the club, I'm not going to lie. It was a tough decision.

"But it had dragged on long enough and we wanted an end to it. Now there is we can concentrate on the football, which is all that matters."

January 16, 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/burnley/9360426.stm

Eddie Howe has been confirmed as the new manager of Burnley on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

The 33-year-old, who watched Burnley draw with QPR on Saturday, will be joined at the Championship club by his Bournemouth assistant Jason Tindall.

Hi guys, this is my first post, so please don't burn me... ☺️I've been lurking on the board for a while, and although I don't have any connection with Southampton or UK as such, I've been closely following English football since late 80's... Never had a club that I really supported until couple of years ago, when Southampton continuous rise from the ashes really made me appreciate them. Anyway, enough about me, what I was wondering is what do you guys think about possibility (although it might be highly unlikely) of Ryan Giggs taking over managerial role at Saints? After all, with Mourihno in charge, he's more than likely to leave Manchester United, and although he might not be proven in the role, I don't think that it would be too hard for him to adjust to it. Anyway, just curious what do you guys think about it...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Personally, over my dead body. No, no and no.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

With Erwin and Jan stlll yet to depart, it could a good indication of us about to unveil De Boeuf or another Dutch manager while retaining them both.

Worth noting than when Koeman was first announced for us, Erwin and Jan weren't announced till the following day or so.