New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Can you elaborate a bit as to what that means/entails etcetc?

Not really, at the time the players were apparently a bit bemused by it, but looking back now with hindsight, it could be construed as the management preparing them for a possible regime change. As I said on another thread earlier, at the time of Kelvin's testimonial I know the general consensus in the boardroom was that RK would not extend so putting 2 and 2 together my take is contingency plans were already being considered.

He wouldn't extend because they presumably knew about EFC's offer would "turn" him despite positive talks? Or were talks not positive in the first place?

I honestly don't know but I think we will soon find out by the length of time it takes us to appoint a successor- if it's more than a day or two it will show Koeman's departure was not expected.

I honestly don't know but I think we will soon find out by the length of time it takes us to appoint a successor- if it's more than a day or two it will show Koeman's departure was not expected.

I think these thing's always take a fair bit of time.

I think these thing's always take a fair bit of time.

Do they? If, for example, it is FdB, SFC have already been working with the agent so it might just be as simple as crossing out one name and putting in another. Of course nothing is ever so simple in life so I don't expect that to happen, not least because FdB might not want the job. But who knows.....??

Do they? If, for example, it is FdB, SFC have already been working with the agent so it might just be as simple as crossing out one name and putting in another. Of course nothing is ever so simple in life so I don't expect that to happen, not least because FdB might not want the job. But who knows.....??

Well I assume we'll start talking to more than person for a start. I'd imagine a couple of weeks at least. But who knows!

Many of the candidates are likely not with clubs which should speed things up.

Jorge Sampaoli is still out of work after leaving his position managing Chille. Reported yesterday to be close to joining Granada. For a long time seemed nailed on to be getting the Chelsea job, with the only issue appearing to be the time he would need to improve his english. Could our new 5 year plan afford him this time...

He seems a closer tactical fit than some of the suggestions (very similar to Pochettino - both adopt Bielsa-esque tactics) and has a strong reputation based on his international achievements.

I think he's decent. Good at Valencia (successive top 4 finishes before harshly sacked in season 3), ok at Atletico Madrid (9th then 5th (plus UEFA cup & Copa del Rey win); looks less good post Simeone's Atletico but was decent at the time). Good at Watford. Quirky spell in UAE. Looks like Hugh Laurie. Dapper clothes taste. Allegedly delaying Espanyol decision having been contacted by Sevilla and one other unnamed club this week. I think he'd be good, suspect people may think being ex-Watford makes him a downgrade but I thought he got them over-performing last season which is the mark of a decent coach.

For these polls, it would me nice to choose more than one option!

Think everyone would take Emery in the unlikely event he'd want to join us, but I'd be more than happy with 3 or 4 of the managers on that list.

Emery all day for me if we can get him.

But whoever comes lets trust the Board to repeat the process of replacing with better anyone who wants to leave, if RK has gone as far as he can with us then its best he goes and we upgrade again

Any of those but Howe. We can do much better than a guy who's main achievement is keeping a team in the PL

And with an absolute tonne of money as well. Its not exactly a secret how much Bournemouth have spent on players but it nevertheless does fly under the radar.

Oh - and one point I'd also make - Bournemouth were odds against to get relegated even at the start of the season. They simply weren't the miniscule minnows that one might picture them as. They've spent tonnes over the past couple of years and Howe has done no more than say, Adkins did/would have done in getting them up/keeping them up.

Losing Koeman was disappointing but replacing him with Eddie Howe would almost be worse.

Pellegrini would be a good statement of intent but a lot depends on his motivation & given his age it might not be the best of moves.

AVB would be my choice - something to prove and actually, did OK-ish with Spurs despite the blame that came his way. I kinda like the fact that he doesn't get on with the media too - could help foster the kind of everyones-against-us backs-to-the-wall mentality that I think we've always done well with.

We are a small club, but we're the kind of small club that can beat anyone. We can embarrass Liverpool, cause Mourinho & Chelsea to go into breakdown, cost Arsenal the title, cost Spurs their top-2 finish. A last-minute equaliser to draw at Old Trafford is the worst result we've got there in three seasons.

We're starting to become universally disliked by almost all of the big clubs for one very simple reason; whilst we're a small club that they constantly feel they should take 6 points from, not one of them can ever count on beating or even sneaking a point against Southampton.

We've inflicted battle scars on all of them. Big time.

Jorge Sampaoli is still out of work after leaving his position managing Chille. Reported yesterday to be close to joining Granada. For a long time seemed nailed on to be getting the Chelsea job, with the only issue appearing to be the time he would need to improve his english. Could our new 5 year plan afford him this time...

He seems a closer tactical fit than some of the suggestions (very similar to Pochettino - both adopt Bielsa-esque tactics) and has a strong reputation based on his international achievements.

Jorge Sampaoli I would very much like if he's improved his English to an acceptable standard to manage an professional English football team.

His Chile team were outstanding to watch and won the Copa America over the likes of Uruguay Brazil and Argentina

Edited by Saint IQ

Jorge Sampaoli I would very much like if he's improved his English to an acceptable standard to manage an professional English football team.

His Chile team were outstanding to watch and won the Copa America over the likes of Uruguay Brazil and Argentina

No track record of note at club level though.

Pochettino came here after being sacked with his Espanyol side 20th in La Liga. He was and still is a roaring success.

All about finding someone who fits the structures and philosophies of the club...

Quique Sanchez Flores has never stayed at club very long though, I think we need someone who will want to be here for a long-term project..Of course he might well do that but history suggests he doesn't

If Emery ends up taking over at PSG, this would leave Blanc out of work. He has an almost perfect record at PSG and playing experience in England. Would he be unrealistic?

More undesirable than unrealistic. If you want to sniff around the French "chomeurs" you're better off looking at Puel or Garcia.

Edited by Window Cleaner

More undesirable than unrealistic. If you want to sniff around the French "chomeurs" you're better off looking at Puel or Garcia.

Why undesirable ?

What's your take on French managers mentioned or out of the French league ?

No track record of note at club level though.

His most successful period was with Universidad de Chile between 2011 and 2012 (just before the Chile job) where he won the league title twice and the Copa Sudamericana.

On December 14, 2011 they defeated Liga De Quito from Ecuador 3–0 (4–0 on aggregate) to win the Copa Sudamericana, becoming the third Chilean team to win a South American tournament, behind Colo-Colo's 1991 Copa Libertadores and Universidad Catolica's 1994 Copa Interamericana. In the tournament, the club had an excellent performance (undefeated, and winning all their matches in Chile), and was nicknamed the "South America's FC Barcelona".

Pretty sure Watford were near the bottom of the 2016 calendar year form table?

Tricky for him (and Pellegrini for that matter) when your employers confirm they're making plans without you mid-season.

Quique Sanchez Flores has never stayed at club very long though, I think we need someone who will want to be here for a long-term project..Of course he might well do that but history suggests he doesn't

Difficult to see how any manager can expect to stay for 5 years. If they do well, the vultures will surely circle like they have for Pochettino and Koeman after a couple of seasons.

Edited by benali-shorts
Koeman not Foeman...

It can't really be Giggs or Neville as (pre-Koeman appointment) Les Reed was saying the black-box collates data based on styles of play of coaches all over the world to focus on patters on play etc.

Giggs / Neville wouldn't have acquired enough games to even show up on the radar.

Most clubs 'work' their players six days a week but normally only for around three hours in the morning. Under Koeman Saints supposedly gave the players Sunday to Tuesday off. At first sight that sounds a bit lazy, but imo a lot of the reason for teams fading is mental and physical exhaustion rather than lack of fitness.

I want us to copy whatever Leicester did last season.

Didn't he win the league with a pretty unfancied Bordeaux team before he took over the french national job?

But he lets players lead him by the nose, he isn't a good man manager. Rumour has it that Zlatan ruled the roost at PSG of late and all Blanc had to do was apply the odd rubber stamp. He was copiously insulted by Aurier on youtube or similar, told it like it was at the Camp des Loges.