Saints announce Virgin Media as new main club sponsor

Saint-Armstrong

Will say that Virgin Media delivers consistently poor service - only marginally better than their trains which smell like a s**t that has had nervous breakdown.

Thought both Virgin Media and Virgin Trains were quite good when compared to their competitors? The poor service in both the rail industry and broadband providers makes them one of the better companies in both sectors? I can definitely think of a few train companies I'd rather avoid before Virgin Trains.

That really is p*ss-poor isn't it?

Of the 5 teams in 7th to 11th in that table, 3 got relegated and one narrowly avoided relegation after being in bottom 3 all season.

Need to grow ours but clearly not directly related to team performance for those outside the big 6.

Can people not manage a whole football match without needing to surf the net...

Nowt wrong with wanting to keep abreast of the scores. It takes 2 seconds to open your phone up and look at them, or should if you had a decent connection.

Using it for anything else after paying to watch the game is bizarre though.

Unless you're keeping your uninterested kid occupied and quiet.

Nowt wrong with wanting to keep abreast of the scores. It takes 2 seconds to open your phone up and look at them, or should if you had a decent connection.

I had one bloke near me put headphones in and listen to commentary for the whole match, and did it every time.

On the cup games, seemed to have lots of women around me who spent the whole match texting/emailing

Don't forget the rise of in-play betting too, acceptable enough reason to be on your phone. They've got free wifi at the Etihad, very much welcome when trying to check scores at half time.

With regards to Virgin Media I love the notion that every skate that subscribes is inadvertently putting their money in our clubs coffers, brilliant!!

I doubt it. Many seem to prioritise checking other scores, buying beer, eating dodgy pies or hot dogs and going to the toilet over watching an hour and a half of football.

And i bet you are all over twitter, facebook and all the news outlets to try to find you next gem of "interest" to stick on here

and bore us all to death.... :D

People pay their money let them do what they like...

And i bet you are all over twitter, facebook and all the news outlets to try to find you next gem of "interest" to stick on here

and bore us all to death.... :D

People pay their money let them do what they like...

Not sure I agree with that to be honest. I enjoy a game much more when the crowd are singing and getting behind the team, and no doubt the players are more postively influenced by having a 'twelfth man'. So while each fan is entitled to do what they like, surely it would be better for them to add to the atmosphere.

Will say that Virgin Media delivers consistently poor service - only marginally better than their trains which smell like a s**t that has had nervous breakdown.

Had Virgin cable and broadband a couple of years back and thought it was an awful service but to be fair Sky is not much better.

Is Virgin Media really bad? I was with Sky for years, got sick of their slow broadband. Used to take me 24 hours to download a 40 minute episode of (ironically) "24" from their on Demand. Phoned them many times to do line tests and upgrade rubbish. Engineer from Sky laughed and said you're getting 0.8 mb/s and he could boost it up to just over 1 mb/s. In the end I went with Virgin. Been with them 2 years and I normally get 180 mb/s or more. There's 4 of us here using the Internet and it's night and day. To be fair to Sky I never paid a penny for their broadband (mainly because I flat out refused to pay for something I couldn't really use). Of course other benefits of Virgin include better recording options and BT Sport is free.

Virgin is pricey but I don't think I could go back to Sky.

Oh forgot to mention that when it rained or the wind blew the Sky satellite dish would lose signal like the world had ended :lol:

Is Virgin Media really bad?

Not in my experience. Had their broadband for years. It's been excellent, and apart from the time when the network went down for a day the couple of other faults we've had were fixed in no time.

In terms of their broadband, it kind of depends where you are. Some area's are heavily populated and the infrastructure in those area's struggles to cope. Where I am it's very virgin orientated, so it was always very poor here. I think the broadband complaints are more area specific than national, they do offer the fastest speeds you can get in this country in terms of residential. (although they are some FTTP products, which are currently extortionate...so only SOHO's can really afford them)

I doubt it. Many seem to prioritise checking other scores, buying beer, eating dodgy pies or hot dogs and going to the toilet over watching an hour and a half of football.

Prioritising the toilet? I for one will happily pi ss my pants rather than miss the action. Soiling myself is a different matter.

Prioritising the toilet? I for one will happily pi ss my pants rather than miss the action. Soiling myself is a different matter.

Haha. I mean going during the game rather than at HT like most people. Presumably to beat the queue to get a ****, overpriced beer or a plastic hot dog rather than wait an hour and get a nice beer or decent bit of food.

That really is p*ss-poor isn't it?

I don't know how much it increased in 15/16, but yes it is an area with room for improvement. Hopefully the kit and sponsor deals will take us some of the way, and Krueger's attempts to raise our profile in the US market even further...

I gives more chance of looking good, so long as it doesn't mean a giant white stuck on panel to make their red writing show up.

Oh. Erm... That's kinda what I heard today. White panel with red logo on it anyway... Would make sense if they sorted the kit before knowing the sponsor of course.

In terms of their broadband, it kind of depends where you are. Some area's are heavily populated and the infrastructure in those area's struggles to cope. Where I am it's very virgin orientated, so it was always very poor here. I think the broadband complaints are more area specific than national, they do offer the fastest speeds you can get in this country in terms of residential. (although they are some FTTP products, which are currently extortionate...so only SOHO's can really afford them)

Our VirginMedia is great, dirt cheap too as the wife works for one of their subcontractors. Though we pay for Sky Sports on top which is usual Sky rates.

Decent speed, very few days with poor speed or no service, maybe one or two in 4 years and the online updates are reasonably decent (or were the last time I needed to check a couple of years ago).

Quite pleased with this, we needed to get a bigger name in, and they also have free BT Sport on one of their larger packages, which shows the Europa League, so that all ties in nicely.

Not sure I agree with that to be honest. I enjoy a game much more when the crowd are singing and getting behind the team, and no doubt the players are more postively influenced by having a 'twelfth man'. So while each fan is entitled to do what they like, surely it would be better for them to add to the atmosphere.

Annoys the sh11t out of me when the wife's babbling on about anything other than the match sometimes...

Yeah, this for me too.

and me. they've been superb. as opposed to BT who installed their equipment in someone's garage, and anytime it went down they had to come out and hope the guy was in so he could let them in to fix it! We didn't stay with BT very long...

So do we know how much this deal is worth? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Anyone know? I'm guessing it must be pretty big considering the size of Virgin Media? Why is this thread only 3 pages long? Thought people would like a great bit of news like this!

Anyone know? I'm guessing it must be pretty big considering the size of Virgin Media? Why is this thread only 3 pages long? Thought people would like a great bit of news like this!

It really is great news. They are the best sponsor we've ever had, simple as that!

Plus we managed to avoid any 'Wongas' or 'Jobsite' rubbish.

Haha. I mean going during the game rather than at HT like most people. Presumably to beat the queue to get a ****, overpriced beer or a plastic hot dog rather than wait an hour and get a nice beer or decent bit of food.

You're aware Southampton is in England aren't you? Where do you suggest one might get a decent bit of food? :scared: ;)

• 1 month later...

Keep the eyes peeled tomorrow guys and girls!

@VirginMediaCorp: #SaintsFC Fans, keep an eye out for some exciting news from @virginmedia tomorrow #AlltheFootball

@virginmedia: Attention @SouthamptonFC fans, we're more than a shirt sponsor. Check back tmw for an announcement on away game at @ManUtd #AllTheFootball

@SouthamptonFC: Keep an eye out for some exciting news from @virginmedia tomorrow, #SaintsFC fans! twitter.com/VirginMediaCor…

Not sure what this will be. Doesn't seem much point in reducing match tickets now they are capped, and being a night game up north running a train probably not an option unfortunately so if anything could be subsidised coaches or offer to watch game online ?

Virgin trains?!

Ticket reduction?

Wouldn't that be a bit like Tesco doing an offer for free milk from Asda?

I suspect that it'll be something like the game will be shown free on Virgin Media for subscribers (or something like that). Probably more to target the Man Utd market though.

Congrats to the board for this deal and the Under Armour contract. Doing well to grow us significantly off the pitch so we do not get left behind.

Doesn't make Virgin media a good ethical company though!!!

Don't use them for a land line number .... They will not transfer it ever to another supplier .....

Beware...

Not sure what this will be. Doesn't seem much point in reducing match tickets now they are capped, and being a night game up north running a train probably not an option unfortunately so if anything could be subsidised coaches or offer to watch game online ?

Possibly a special train put on for Saints fans to get back then? We can dream.

The new Saints TV Channel, exclusive to Virgin.

Next we will have a radio station and then the catering will be the best in the world.

That would be awesome...

Have they announced the wifi in the stadium yet? They hit a gas main when digging up to put in the cables yesterday because someone else had moved the gas pipes and not changed the records and traffic ended up getting diverted away from the ground... in rush hour. :o

And frankly having already booked flights to Manchester for the Friday night Man U game if they announce anything other than dirt cheap match tickets or free stuff for people at the game I'm probably going to be annoyed. Cheap trains would REALLY annoy me.

My guess:

They will show our game vs Man United live to all Virgin Customers who don't have Sky Sports.

Really, they are benefiting the vast majority of United fans then rather than us.

My second take is maybe they will give Sky Sports package free for a week to all Saints fan who can prove they are a fan i.e STHs or Members?