Nathan Redmond Joins on 5 Year Deal - Official

Saint Garrett

@mirrordarren: Redmond set to have Southampton medical when he returns from holiday abroad. @MirrorFootball

Sounds like it's pretty much done.

Interesting that we'll be signing him without a manager in place. Certainly shows that its not 100% the managers decision, but then I guess we knew that anyway.

A good lively player, hopefully it doesn't mean that Mane is off. Nice to have another bright young englishman in the squad if it happens.

@mirrordarren: Redmond set to have Southampton medical when he returns from holiday abroad. @MirrorFootball

Sounds like it's pretty much done.

Interesting that we'll be signing him without a manager in place. Certainly shows that its not 100% the managers decision, but then I guess we knew that anyway.

A good lively player, hopefully it doesn't mean that Mane is off. Nice to have another bright young englishman in the squad if it happens.

Technically we still have a manager :lol:

I also said that we need to go after our targets before the new manager was in and got lambasted for it. The simple fact is that Koeman knows our transfer targets like the back of his hand and its important that the club get in the keys one first.

It also goes to show that its the committee and black box that make these decisions, not Koeman. Something else i was lambasted for :(

I#m happy with Redmond, he's a decent player and will hopefully get better playing with us. We need to bolster the squad a bit with the extra competition. Maybe we have a manager ready and he sanctioned the move? :suspicious:

Or maybe all the manager candidates who have not been weeded out have been told this is a done deal. If they objected they would be weeded out. And we all know how painful that can be.

I thought we wern't signing anyone without a manager. Unless we have someone lined up and it's just a case of dotting the I's and crossing the T's? Let's try and think who has a connection to Redmond! :D

Also...He's great on FM2013!

Would much rather get Ox back for not that much more than has been quoted - would be better as: a player; a sign of ambition; a warning to young prospects re grass greenness...

I don't know if I really believe that Ox would return to us, but if he would be prepared to, there is no reason to think that signing Redmond would mean we wouldn't be able to sign OX as well

Would much rather get Ox back for not that much more than has been quoted - would be better as: a player; a sign of ambition; a warning to young prospects re grass greenness...

the Ox is going to much more expensive than redmond and does have injury questions hanging over him. You would assume they are going for Redmond as it will allow us to spend money on other positions we are likely to need to reinforce - Striker, RB, DM etc.

Jury is out for me. A bit like JWP he plays well for Eng U21s but rarely for his Club. Was left on the bench quite a bit by a poor Norwich side who lacked creativity.

Don't see him as a starter unless we lose Tadic as well as Mane and Redmond is nowhere near the level of either of those.

For me, Demerai Gray has more potential and only cost £3m.

But Redmond clearly has ability to work with even if lacking end product and reliability.

I think Ox is a better player but he probably earns three times as much as Redmond. Would you sign Ox if he required to be paid more than Virgil, Fonte, Forster, Mane etc? Not sure that would be worth upsetting the apple cart over.

Jury is out for me. A bit like JWP he plays well for Eng U21s but rarely for his Club. Was left on the bench quite a bit by a poor Norwich side who lacked creativity.

Don't see him as a starter unless we lose Tadic as well as Mane and Redmond is nowhere near the level of either of those.

For me, Demerai Gray has more potential and only cost £3m.

But Redmond clearly has ability to work with even if lacking end product and reliability.

We tried, and failed, to sign Gray. Redmond has top level experience that Gray does not and comes from a club on a much more sound financial footing.

Hopefully he can be developed with us and, at the 10-11 mil mooted, is not a mega money move based on current standards and the 'english player' premium.

We tried, and failed, to sign Gray. Redmond has top level experience that Gray does not and comes from a club on a much more sound financial footing.

Hopefully he can be developed with us and, at the 10-11 mil mooted, is not a mega money move based on current standards and the 'english player' premium.

He does only have one year left on his contract so its fairly expensive for a "meh" player. But prices this summer are going to be mad.

We will end up selling Wanyama for about the same Redmond will cost.

He does only have one year left on his contract so its fairly expensive for a "meh" player. But prices this summer are going to be mad.

Not had the best season but I rate him and he has shown enough for the u21's and in flashes for Norwich to make me think he might be worth the punt. True, prices are getting steeper with the money flowing around the prem. Does he count as one of the eight home grown (not at club) for Europa though?

We might but it depends on demand. If we are to believe rumours Redmond had several suitors - if we got lucky and a few teams decided they wanted Wanayama we may be able to achieve high teens for him.

We need to replace Gaston and Juanmi as attacking third options, so a young, English U21 player sounds like a plan. If we sell Mane, we'll replace him.

FWIW I like Redmond, I think he's been a club target for a while. It's easy to say he didn't do much at Norwich, but he was surrounded by ****. If they had a proper goal scorrer up top, I'm sure he'd have had more assists. It's just that Cameron Jermone likes to miss sitters.

Look at how good he is in an U21 shirt....definitely a future England international and we seem to be heading back onto a path that we kind of discarded the last couple of years (good English players)

Edited by S-Clarke

He is only a "meh" player in your opinion. I would suggest that our "Black Box" has a lot of info to base a decision on.

I'm sure the 11M mentionned is a structured deal payed over a few years and some of it based on app, goals and future england caps.

If he manages to do that then it will mean he will have been a success for us, his value will have risen and norwich will be paid.

A win win situation and that s how we go about our business.

I like him as a player

Young English players are what we used to be about

Agree, used to playing with JWP and some of our other youngsters too.

8 mil sounds steep, but at least everton are paying for most of it.

james-ward-prowse-england-germany-cele-news148-2367791_478x359.jpg

Pretty underwhelming if true. We seem to have been linked with him for ages but despite the potential he seems to have actually done very little and has never particularly impressed when I've watched him. He even struggled to get in the Norwich team last season. If he's cheap then maybe worth the gamble but I'd have thought we could do better.

Pretty underwhelming if true. We seem to have been linked with him for ages but despite the potential he seems to have actually done very little and has never particularly impressed when I've watched him. He even struggled to get in the Norwich team last season. If he's cheap then maybe worth the gamble but I'd have thought we could do better.

I thought he looked good at the beginning of last season - less so towards the end. Definitely lots of potential - if Raheem Sterling is worth £50m+, then £11m might turn out to be a bargain for Redmond.

Maybe a bit too much of a "luxury" player for a relegation fight? Would be interested to see how he's get on in a team that gives him creative freedom. He seems to have pace and tricks.

Some people are also too quick to ignore how we develop players. He has all the tools, and maybe our coaching staff believe we can make him even better.

It's something we seemingly do with pretty much most players, they always leave us as better players than when they joined. I'd assume that last season doesn't factor in the overall decision of the club, they've probably got stacks and stacks of info on him as we were interested back in his Brum days too. If it's true, we obviously feel now is the time to take the punt.

Some people are also too quick to ignore how we develop players. He has all the tools, and maybe our coaching staff believe we can make him even better.

It's something we seemingly do with pretty much most players, they always leave us as better players than when they joined. I'd assume that last season doesn't factor in the overall decision of the club, they've probably got stacks and stacks of info on him as we were interested back in his Brum days too. If it's true, we obviously feel now is the time to take the punt.

Yeah, we've certainly been linked with him for quite some time. He gives us that "out and out winger" option too. Plus we've got extra games in the Europa to contend with.

Will be good to get him on the bus. (Do we still have a bus?)

Yeah, we've certainly been linked with him for quite some time. He gives us that "out and out winger" option too. Plus we've got extra games in the Europa to contend with.

Which he has already played in with Birmingham IIRC

My thoughts too. someone to whom we can impart 'added value'.

No, it now has its own special route in Liverpool and runs from Anfield to Goodison Park and back all day.

Exactly, I think taking Bertrand on who had just been in a poor Villa side is testament to how we coach stars to become international players. He has shown his pace, he scored a good goal against us 3 seasons ago when we lost 1 there too, and with minimum 45 games we need the personnel.

Fonte, Pelle, Morgan, Lallana, Shaw, Jay Rod, Bertrand (again), Lambert etc all played international football under us.