Tony Byrne RIP

Fitzhugh Fella

Sad to report that ex-Saint Tony Byrne died yesterday aged 70.

Tony played for Saints between 1964 and 1970 making 101 starts, 13 sub appearances and scoring 3 goals. A Republic of Ireland international he was a versatile left-sided defender who was often picked by Ted Bates to man mark George Best. He was a lovely chap who I remember would often take time out after training to coach us kids in The Dell car park. He wound down his career at Hereford (Terry Paine brought him with him) and Newport. All thoughts go to his family.

I used to see Tony at Shirley Warren club when dating a girl from there called Sandra, I had a broken arm from playing football and Tony and Ken Jones both signed it - was so proud to have that. I remember Tony snuffing out George Best in one game - he hardly had a kick.

RIP Tony so sad.

RIP

I'm surprised he was only 70, just two years older than me.

I really wonder if heading those heavy sodden leather balls has led to so many old players dying relatively young.

I think he was suffering from prostrate cancer

Unlikely to be caused by playing football

met him a couple of times during his playing days. Friendly and polite too, but showed his metal when playing and recall his special assignments in marking George Best.

Don't know if Ted Bates played him deliberately as Tony came from the Eire ....and George was a Northern Ireland international.....but the tactic worked well.