The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

Wondered why the club were considering a chef, but it was the wrong Marco.

Marco Silva's pages on the web must have been well-trawled over by Saints' fans by now. Only five years since hanging up his boots but an impressive record in management/coaching in a short time. Like the idea of having a young manager (even younger than Kelvin). Imagine he would be a lot more active in the technical area, and at training, than our last, rather sedentary manager, who's name I've forgotten. Silva looks the sort of candidate who would have been on the club's radar and as he has just handed in his notice at Olympiakos, this one is beginning to feel as if it might be happening.

Rudi Garcia et Claude Puel ont rencontré les dirigeants de #Southampton. L'ancien coach romain a décliné l'offre. (L'Equipe) #PL

7:26 AM - 19 Jun 2016 · Neuilly-sur-Seine, France, France

Selon @lequipe, les dirigeants de Southampton ont rencontré Claude Puel et Rudi Garcia, qui lui a décliné l'offre.

http://m.goal.com/s/fr/news/33/transferts/2016/06/19/24787922/rudi-garcia-refuse

http://www.wynfoot.fr/actualites/categorie/roma/70837590?t=rudi_garcia_refuse_so

So you actually have no evidence whatsoever for any of your assertions. Why bother making them?

You're well educated in French football window's....what's your opinion/feeling on him? (may have missed it you have already said)

I'm all for him if it's a choice between him and this portuguese bloke Silva that seems to be the latest fad. I intially favoured Pellegrini though but as he's not an option I'm behind Puel. Never really done a bad job anywhere and will probably be modest enough in his transfer demands. Don't know how it's going to pan out though, seems to be something of a standby option as far as the club is concerned.

I'm all for him if it's a choice between him and this portuguese bloke Silva that seems to be the latest fad. I intially favoured Pellegrini though but as he's not an option I'm behind Puel. Never really done a bad job anywhere and will probably be modest enough in his transfer demands. Don't know how it's going to pan out though, seems to be something of a standby option as far as the club is concerned.

I think he seems pretty decent. Like you I was in the Pellegrini camp but. Puel looks like a decent appointment.

Cheers, seems fair enough to me. From all I can see, the criticisms seem to be around a couple of things.

1) - He's not Pellegrini

2) - He's not a well known name

Not entirely sure those are fair criticisms to label against a potential manager who, on paper, has a very impressive CV.

It's not about the name, as we should know all too well, it's about how that individual fits with the rest.

Cheers, seems fair enough to me. From all I can see, the criticisms seem to be around a couple of things.

1) - He's not Pellegrini

2) - He's not a well known name

Not entirely sure those are fair criticisms to label against a potential manager who, on paper, has a very impressive CV.

It's not about the name, as we should know all too well, it's about how that individual fits with the rest.

I concur but I must say I like the sound of silva but tbh up until a week ago I'd not heard of either - I'll trust the club to get the right man for the job they want him to do.

considering that the most eye-catching inexpensive talents to arrive in England over the last few years were kicking it in France (Mahrez, Kante, Payet...), I would at least have fingers crossed that Puel would have a strong say in assessing talent from Ligue 1, and do well by us.

a couple francophone players would come in handy in welcoming Morgan back after MU crash out of Europe next year, too.

If this guy doesn't work out early the club are going to regret blabbing out the likes of Pellegrini to the media.

Fans won't forget who we "turned down" or who we could have had if we're up sh it street in October.

Surely not even we are that dumb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be lunacy on an epic scale. We won't do it.

Giggs can toddle off and get a job he doesn't deserve to have somewhere else like Forest or Blackburn or Fulham or anywhere else.

If, as the French report implies, agreement with Garcia wasn't reached because he was insisting on bringing a third member of his coaching staff with him, I'm impressed with Les Reed's refusal to create a vacancy by dismissing Sammy Lee, who had remained with Saints. The reason for Sammy staying is immaterial, because the fact remains he is a club employee and they have shown loyalty to him. A scarce commodity these days. It also suggests that Reed wasn't so desperate to have Garcia that they would allow him to dictate terms. I have no idea whether Puel or Silva is the stronger candidate but my guess is they are leaning towards Silva.

If, as the French report implies, agreement with Garcia wasn't reached because he was insisting on bringing a third member of his coaching staff with him, I'm impressed with Les Reed's refusal to create a vacancy by dismissing Sammy Lee, who had remained with Saints. The reason for Sammy staying is immaterial, because the fact remains he is a club employee and they have shown loyalty to him. A scarce commodity these days. It also suggests that Reed wasn't so desperate to have Garcia that they would allow him to dictate terms. I have no idea whether Puel or Silva is the stronger candidate but my guess is they are leaning towards Silva.

Admirable loyalty f'sure - but a more sensible option would have been to create an additional job and get the better manager in.

We have lost 3 staff so what was the problem?

We don't know the ins and outs - for all we know SFC agreed that Garcia could bring in the additional coach but that he still must find a role for Sammy Lee and he's refused that (or, probably more likely, we stuck to our guns and said we've got the England goalie coach, that's that, you don't need yours).

It's difficult but there has to be a degree of "how much do you want this job?" as well.

If it's not to be then it's not to be.

We don't know the ins and outs - for all we know SFC agreed that Garcia could bring in the additional coach but that he still must find a role for Sammy Lee and he's refused that (or, probably more likely, we stuck to our guns and said we've got the England goalie coach, that's that, you don't need yours).

It's difficult but there has to be a degree of "how much do you want this job?" as well.

If it's not to be then it's not to be.

seems likely to me. a lot of managers seem to bring their pet goalie coach with them, and like in the team, there's not room for more than one of those.

Admirable loyalty f'sure - but a more sensible option would have been to create an additional job and get the better manager in.

Totally agree . Seems very odd to turn down an excellent manager for the sake of one employment position .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

As our star players are going and are replaced by cheaper ones, should we turn to a manager who is expertise in relegation battle? Di Canio in my mind.

But we have been doing this for the last three years and our league position has improved.

As our star players are going and are replaced by cheaper ones, should we turn to a manager who is expertise in relegation battle? Di Canio in my mind.

You call Juanmi a star player? It's just that you used the plural and I can only think of Vic and Juanmi that have gone this window.

You call Juanmi a star player? It's just that you used the plural and I can only think of Vic and Juanmi that have gone this window.

He said 'are going' not 'gone'. It seems fairly safe to say that Mane is part of that group at this point.

He could always do a 'Vardy' of course.

Edited by Greenridge

Thought this was a thread about our new manager? You can tell things are starting to get a bit boring when squabbles start on here about a random subject. Time well tell, but I am not feeling hugely confident that Reed and Co will get lucky again to the point that the new manager will click with the club/squad and improve our position. And I'm starting to wonder if the rest of the Prem will look at our new managerial appointment and say "WHO?" rather than "WOW!".

Going on a hunch, I'm no way ITK, I think Marco Silva will be our next manager. He's way too good for Forest, and after tasting CL football why would he go to a Championship club. Regardless, I hope all this is sorted soon, hopefully we might see some movement next week.

Seriously hoping your right.Out of the two of them I think Silva looks the more exciting manager and feel he could have a similar impact as Pochettino.I just don't feel anything about Puel.

Thought this was a thread about our new manager? You can tell things are starting to get a bit boring when squabbles start on here about a random subject. Time well tell, but I am not feeling hugely confident that Reed and Co will get lucky again to the point that the new manager will click with the club/squad and improve our position. And I'm starting to wonder if the rest of the Prem will look at our new managerial appointment and say "WHO?" rather than "WOW!".

Like they did with MP?

That may be so, but you can name any manager in the world you like and I would happily guarantee you that the chances of us improving our position again next season are close to zero. And I am not even a bed-wetter.

Seriously hoping your right.Out of the two of them I think Silva looks the more exciting manager and feel he could have a similar impact as Pochettino.I just don't feel anything about Puel.

Puel just leaves me feeling cold in all honesty. If he's appointed then I'll fully back him, but he just doesn't get me excited the same way Silva does.

Silva's situation is strange tho. Resigned from Olympiacos for personal reasons apparently, some journalists saying he had a falling out with the owner, (who is also about to buy Forest, hence the link). Same journalists then linked him to us, after saying he would never manage a club in the second tier. Maybe all ********, time will tell. I live in hope tho.

I recall Rupert being loyal to staff, enter Stuart Gray and we know where that led to

Did you miss four of our players signing new contracts recently? (ok calling JWP a star might be stretching it a bit)

I think that this denigration of JWP has to stop, even in jest. Supporters are supposed to support our academy players.

Puel just leaves me feeling cold in all honesty. If he's appointed then I'll fully back him, but he just doesn't get me excited the same way Silva does.

Silva's situation is strange tho. Resigned from Olympiacos for personal reasons apparently, some journalists saying he had a falling out with the owner, (who is also about to buy Forest, hence the link). Same journalists then linked him to us, after saying he would never manage a club in the second tier. Maybe all ********, time will tell. I live in hope tho.

Mods, it really is time to update the poll.