The Manuel Pellegrini Thread

Matthew Le God

According to the Telegraph's Jeremy Wilson, Pellegrini is being interviewed this weekend...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/17/manuel-pellegrini-on-southampton-manager-shortlist/

Pellegrini record since moving to European football in 2004...

Villareal in La Liga

2004/05 - 3rd

2005/06 - 7th

2006/07 - 5th

2007/08 - 2nd

2008/09 - 5th

Real Madrid in La Liga

2009/10 - 2nd

Malaga in La Liga

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

Man City in Premier League

2013/14 - 1st

2014/15 - 2nd

2015/16 - 4th

Runs in Europe

2004/05 - Villareal - Quarter final UEFA Cup

2005/06 - Villareal - Semi final UEFA Cup

2006/07 - Villareal - Lost Intertoto Cup

2007/08 - Villareal - Last 32 round UEFA Cup

2008/09 - Villareal - Quarter final Champions League

2009/10 - Real Madrid - Last 16 Champions League

2012/13 - Malaga - Quarter final Champions League

2013/14 - Man City - Last 16 Champions League

2014/15 - Man City - Last 16 Champions League

2015/16 - Man City - Champions League semi final

He comfortably has a more impressive CV than any previous Southampton manager and a lot of experience in European competition. I'm not entirely convinced he is a perfect match for style of play & academy importance at Saints, but his record with Villareal & Malaga is impressive. Him joining would also be a sign of ambition to current players, potential players and the fanbase.

Wilson has also said Saints offered Koeman £4.5m p/a, that is at a similar level to what Pellegrini was on at Man City. Saints aren't lacking ambition if they are offering £4.5m (£86,000 p/w) to managers, not many clubs in world football offer more...

Verified account
@
JWTelegraph

Southampton preferred that he extended but would have let him see out last year. Offer was 3yrs at £4.5m with a get-out clause next summer

I take it the source is actually the Telegraph taxi driver that has just dropped him off at the De Vere...!!! :)

Seriously though, my only worry with him would be that he might look at it as a step down after City, be less motivated and put his feet up a little bit. Don't know - I may be reading it wrong.

Edited by Micky

Man City aside... What type of tactics did he utilise in Spain and would they suit us now? Man City certainly weren't a high pressing team - they relied on out scoring teams due to their firepower most of the time which we wouldn't be able to get with.

Did well with one or two youngsters such as Iheanacho... Maybe he'll fancy a loan move down south ;)

Man City aside... What type of tactics did he utilise in Spain and would they suit us now? Man City certainly weren't a high pressing team - they relied on out scoring teams due to their firepower most of the time which we wouldn't be able to get with.

Did well with one or two youngsters such as Iheanacho... Maybe he'll fancy a loan move down south ;)

City fans (my ST holder mate there at least) were calling for Pellegrini to play Iheanacho earlier and more. They/he also seemed annoyed by his relatively negative tactics. I'm not convinced by him albeit his CV is suitably impressive in terms of clubs. It may be of course that he's a better manager with a smaller budget than a huge one but he's not my preferred candidate right now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://defendingwiththeball.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/an-in-depth-look-at-the-engineers-well-constructed-4-2-2-2-philosophy/

I'm genuinely shocked at the amount of people who would seemingly turn their noses up at a manager that has won league titles, taken unfashionable clubs far in the champions league and has done well when working with a tight budget. I'd take Pellegrini!!

This is a guy who has been considered good enough for probably two of the highest profile managerial jobs around in world football these days, Real Madrid and moneybags City, that says quite a lot and he was hardly bad in either job.

I'm genuinely shocked at the amount of people who would seemingly turn their noses up at a manager that has won league titles, taken unfashionable clubs far in the champions league and has done well when working with a tight budget. I'd take Pellegrini!!

Think the guys that make these silly comments about NOT wanting M.P as our manager know cuck all about football if he came here it would be a massive show of ambition by the board

This notion that a big name manager will mean players will want to stay is a red herring imo, Koeman was a very big name but that didn't prevent a mass exodus over two summers. Players will go where the money/prestige is regardless of who is our manager.

Please explain last summer's "mass exodus"

After all each time we progressed anyway

Is his track record of success down to his coaching, or that he was coach of clubs with loads of money/big fish in their pond ?

His record at Malaga wasnt so hot as at the others.

He took Malaga to the Champions League quarter final! :mcinnes:

Before Pellegrini...

2009/10 - 17th (avoided relegation by 1 point!)

With Pellegrini...

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

To turn a relegation threatened team into a Champions League quarter finalist in just 3 years is extremely impressive!

Before Pellegrini...

With Pellegrini...

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

To turn a relegation threatened team into a Champions League quarter finalist in just 3 years is extremely impressive!

That is some going

Before Pellegrini...

With Pellegrini...

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

Yes... but he did so with absolute swathes of cash. Oh, and Pellegrini took over the club in the relegation places in 2010/11. Next season, , they spent sh1tloads. Done well for the 6th place finish though

Edited by Crab Lungs

If they are looking for an experienced manager who plays the high press,I just can't understand why Bielsa isn't being strongly linked?He is a managerial god according to Guardiola and Poch,and a free agent???He is also completely bonkers and very entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I worry Pellegrini is going to be a little bit Houllier-at-Villa.

But of this three we seem to be down two now my favourite.

Please come back Rudi. We'll love you and love you good.

Strong, wiry hair to be fair. Pellegrini, not Rudi.

If they are looking for an experienced manager who plays the high press,I just can't understand why Bielsa isn't being strongly linked?He is a managerial god according to Guardiola and Poch,and a free agent???He is also completely bonkers and very entertaining.

You've answered your own question :)

that would be fun yes yes yessity yes wont happen as long as ive a hole in me arse

I worry Pellegrini is going to be a little bit Houllier-at-Villa.

But of this three we seem to be down two now my favourite.

Please come back Rudi. We'll love you and love you good.

TBF Houllier was pretty tosh at Liverpool before he went there.

from that article

Southampton want a manager who encourages a high-pressing and passing style, as well as a willingness to promote young players and, ideally, experience of European football.

sounds like they just want poch....

interesting conclusion:

The pith of Pellegrini’s tactics is to maintain possession and play free-flowing attacking football, as evident in his time in Europe

I'd welcome the manager as described above, but not sure that is consistent with the Man City style seen.

Before Pellegrini...

With Pellegrini...

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

They should have got further as well. Seem to remember Dortmund scoring extremely late in the QF to knock Malaga out when they were heading through to the SF's.

judging from his last pre match presser at City, he's love Saints' Stats department

http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/manuel-pellegrini-didnt-bad-job-manchester-city-370944#uGcImMti0UFapQXP.99

However, the Chilean attended his weekly press conference armed with a set of data that paints his time at City in a positive light.

“I always think we can do better, but the important thing is to compare yourself with all the other teams,” he said. “If we make a summary of the three seasons I’ve been in charge we were the team that had the most points. We were the team that had the best performances [in my time] as manager and we were the team that scored the most goals.

“The only thing we couldn’t be best at was defence – that was Chelsea; they conceded just four fewer goals than our team. The goal difference [over the three seasons] is huge between us and all the other teams.

“During those three seasons, the fans always told me they enjoyed our games. Of course, it’s impossible to play all the games well, but if you look at the amount of goals we have scored I think it’s 50 or 60 more than any other team. I think that’s an entertaining team, and a team that wins titles and has progressed in the Champions League.

“It’s about a style and, for me, it’s important to be the highest-scoring team in those three seasons, always to be in the Champions League and to win three titles. I’m happy, but I think you must always think you can do better.”

I'm bound to have forgotten some spats and arguments, but one thing that strikes me about his time as City, is there seemed to be hardly any incidents in the background at City with him in charge?

Mancini seemed to have massive arguments every couple of weeks back in the day. So Pellegrini can obviously keep the peace - Quite impressive given the ego's there.

One of those guys not even rival teams seem to have any animosity towards - similar to Ranieri. I want us to get This Charming Man. Loads of warmth and experience and a gentleman. Gutted Garcia out of picture.

There is no doubt about it (in my mind) I think Pellegrini would be biggest signing since Kevin Keegan.It would be a massive statement!!A lot of old people retire on the South Coast so he might even stick around for a while as well!!!??? ?

He is down to even money with Bet Victor.

It appears the bookies are as much in the dark as us.

Nobody odds-on. The club are keeping things very close to their chest, or they haven't made a decision yet.

Pellegrini is the outstanding candidate. We need someone now with Premier and European experience. Anything less is second best.

Luke warm about Pellegrini, thought he underperformed at Citeh given the resources and does he still have the hunger having previously managed some big clubs?

Would personally prefer a young hungry manager but a guy like Pellegrini does have the 'big name' status which will attract quality players.

I will say that it would an ambitious statement from the club (despite my questions) if they get him bearing in mind his status in the game.

It would be an a amazing signing.Made better by the fact he's approached us.Could possibly be his swan song and he has a point to prove to Citeh. If he manages to keep us about were we are now with a progression in cups & Europe for a few years he'd have done great in my eyes.

Hello Party People!

This Is Captain Les Speaking

Welcome Aboard Zenga Airways

After Take Off Will Pump Up The Soundsystem

Cause We're Going To Europa!

I Don't Wanna Be A Busdriver

All My Life

I'm Gonna Pack My Bags And Leave This Town

Grab A Flight

Fly Away On Zenga Airways

Fly Me High

Europa Sky

I Look Up At The Sky

And I See The Clouds

I Looked Down At The Ground

And I See The League go Down The Drain

Fly Me High

Europa Sky

Whoah! We're Going To Europa

Whoah! Back To The Championship

Whoah! We're Going To do a Villa

Whoah! We're Gonna Have A Meltdown

Whoah! All live on the TV

Hello Party People!

All My Life

Grab A Flight

Fly Me High

Europa Sky

I Look Up At The Sky

And I See The Clouds

I Looked Down At The Ground

And I See The League go Down The Drain

Fly Me High

Europa Sky

Whoah! We're Going To Europa

Whoah! Back To The Championship

Whoah! We're Going To do a Villa

Whoah! We're Gonna Have A Meltdown

Whoah! All live on the TV

Proof kids of what drugs do to your brain.

Hello Party People!

All My Life

Grab A Flight

Fly Me High

Europa Sky