Who has left Saints and gone on to better things?

Ade

Which players or managers have left Saints to go on to have more successful career? I guess going back some time there was Martin Chivers, then more recently Alan Shearer, Mark Wright and Theo Walcott. Maybe you could include Oxlade-Chamberlain, Clyne and Lallana (who seems to be coming good now). Can't think of many others.

On the flip side there are those who have left and didn't quite live up to their ambitions - I don't mean financially, but on the pitch - Stevie Williams was brilliant for us but the move to Arsenal just didn't work out. Then there was Kevin Davies and more recently Rickie Lambert, Lovren and arguably Chambers and Schneiderlin. For managers Pochettino is the only one I can think of going on to bigger and better things but those who didn't fare so well include Lawrie Mac, Alan Ball, Nigel Adkins and Glenn Hoddle.

These are just a few I'm sure, but who else has left where it has worked out or has not worked out for them?

a bit loathed to mention this one, BUT how about Andy Townsend.?

Signed by Lawrie McMenemy 1985, and afterwards played 80+ games until falling out with LM's successor Chris Nicholl.

Went to Norwich in 1988...after which he moved onto big money move to Chelsea (sell-on cluses weren't thought of in those days)......and then Aston Villa , where he won 2 League Cups, and by the time he finished his playing days at Middlesboro and WBA he'd clocked up over 500 league games ......

OH ..and those 70-odd international games for the Republic of Ireland.

I dread having him to listen to him as the " Expert commentator " on England's international games, where he talks at length about his own career - with the exception of his time with Saints - and always insists on giving MoM award to Jack Wilshere - even if (said player) was only on for a 10 minute sub.appearance.

wayne bridge

jeff kenna

kevin phillips (arguable, not definite, and he came back)

The only thing Wayne Bridge achieved was sitting on Chelsea's bench and destroying any chance he ever had of playing for England.

The only thing Wayne Bridge achieved was sitting on Chelsea's bench and destroying any chance he ever had of playing for England.

Not really. Was a regular in a successful team, at least early on anyway and then they bought Cole.

Was unlucky with injuries and would never have been picked ahead of Ashley Cole for England whether he was playing for us, Chelsea, Arsenal or Intergalactic Superstars United.

Also, Frankie from the Saturdays.

Edited by CB Fry

Not really. Was a regular in a successful team, at least early on anyway and then they bought Cole.

Was unlucky with injuries and would never have been picked ahead of Ashley Cole for England whether he was playing for us, Chelsea, Arsenal or Intergalactic Superstars United.

Also, Frankie from the Saturdays.

And a Premier League winners medal

In recent years not one player has gone on to become a better player.

Infact so many have struggled to get in the national squad since leaving us.

If you asked any of the players if they have regrets leaving us then I'm afraid none would say yes.

Money talks.

Lambert?

I don't think he will regret that, he would never have turned down the chance to play for Liverpool and he was pretty much finished as a Premier Legue player anyway, be it here or at Anfield. If he hadn't left he'd probably have spent the next couple of years sat on our bench watching Pelle.

Good thread.

We shouldn't discount others who perhaps aren't the household names as the others... and better things for them, were perhaps dropping down a level or two, but then getting regular football and making a career out of football, that they probably wouldn't have done at Saints.

For going from a squad player, to a regular and then all that has happened for him since (That wouldn't have if had stayed at Saints)

Gary Monk

Agustin Delgado

Spent most of his time here injured, scored one goal when I think the ball went in off his arse from a corner.

Went back home started scoring regularly and scored twice during Ecuador's run to the last 16 of the 2006 World Cup.

Bale was not instantly successful, he had a couple of seasons that didn't go well for him at Spurs. Development time that maybe might have been better spent at Saints and who knows he could be even better than he is.

Walcott I definitely think would be a better player now if he'd had a few more years here playing regularly rather than become another maybe and constant sick note at Arsenal.

Lallana was already in the England team, I think he has not hit the same level for Liverpool that he did for us last season and he's been part of a Liverpool team that has gone backwards.

Morgan hasn't had the first season he would have wanted at Man Utd and who knows, maybe Mourinho will deem him surplus to requirements.

Lovren has definitely gone backwards

Clyne has done ok.

Chambers has gone backwards.

Wayne Bridge somehow went from a player that broke consecutive game records to being injury prone and a bench warmer.

Ox-Chamberlain is fast on his way to becoming another Walcott as this rate, though by the rumours at least he seems to have recognised that he needs first team football and may move on.

Granted they will all be richer and they'll have played in front of some bigger grounds and can put that 'bigger' name on their CV but some cautionary tales there IMO that the grass isn't always greener. Especially our recent big money leavers none of whom have really hit the heights they probably expected and probably did not think their clubs (the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd) would be battling for Europa spots with Saints.

Bale was not instantly successful, he had a couple of seasons that didn't go well for him at Spurs. Development time that maybe might have been better spent at Saints and who knows he could be even better than he is.

Walcott I definitely think would be a better player now if he'd had a few more years here playing regularly rather than become another maybe and constant sick note at Arsenal.

Lallana was already in the England team, I think he has not hit the same level for Liverpool that he did for us last season and he's been part of a Liverpool team that has gone backwards.

Morgan hasn't had the first season he would have wanted at Man Utd and who knows, maybe Mourinho will deem him surplus to requirements.

Lovren has definitely gone backwards

Clyne has done ok.

Chambers has gone backwards.

Wayne Bridge somehow went from a player that broke consecutive game records to being injury prone and a bench warmer.

Ox-Chamberlain is fast on his way to becoming another Walcott as this rate, though by the rumours at least he seems to have recognised that he needs first team football and may move on.

Granted they will all be richer and they'll have played in front of some bigger grounds and can put that 'bigger' name on their CV but some cautionary tales there IMO that the grass isn't always greener. Especially our recent big money leavers none of whom have really hit the heights they probably expected and probably did not think their clubs (the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd) would be battling for Europa spots with Saints.

Players have always left for more money I guess (apart from MLT), however, have we seen a change at Saints recently? Forster, VVD & JWP signing long contracts , so they must have been offered pretty decent money. Are we now entering an era at Saints where we are at least trying to compete with the bigger boys salary wise? I heard it reported that we offered Koeman £4m pa - there can't be many teams in the EPL offering that kind of salary to their managers. Must be somewhere near the top 6, if not in it. Is that our ambition? To be in top 6 and anything less is failure? Hope so.