The Claude Puel Thread

SuperSAINT

Well, Nice had the 9th highest "market value" in Ligue 1 last year and finished 4th (Behind the 3 teams with the 2 highest market values).

Interesting that 4-3-1-2 seems to be his formation of choice last season.

Puel would be a massive backward step. Appointing this man now would be on a par with the decisions in the past of giving the job to stuart gray and steve wigley. The board need only look at the recent poll on this site and the echo to see this manager is not who the fans want. I cant see why he is even being considered as an option. If this man gets the job we need to replace #wemarchon with #wefellover

Puel would be a massive backward step. Appointing this man now would be on a par with the decisions in the past of giving the job to stuart gray and steve wigley. The board need only look at the recent poll on this site and the echo to see this manager is not who the fans want. I cant see why he is even being considered as an option. If this man gets the job we need to replace #wemarchon with #wefellover

I must've missed their league winners medal and Champions League semi-finals. :lol:

Must be a trolling effort.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

I must've missed their league winners medal and Champions League semi-finals.

The only criticism of him would be his lack of experience outside of France. On the other hand, Koeman had no experience of the Premier League, likewise Pochetinno, and it worked out quite well...

The only criticism of him would be his lack of experience outside of France. On the other hand, Koeman had no experience of the Premier League, likewise Pochetinno, and it worked out quite well...

How do you think his experience stacks up against the PL's other French manager prior to his arrival on these shores?

Nancy 3 years

Monaco 7 years

Grampus Eight 1 year

vs

Monaco 2 years

Lille 6 years

Lyon 3 years

Nice 4 years

I like the sound of him. Hopefully he'll be well up for the challenge and should get us playing good football.

This guy ticks all the boxes for me. Experience of creating winning teams and with fairly unglamorous clubs, just like us.

I look forward to the likes of Alan Brazil and Danny Mills telling everyone that we've made a bad decision and are candidates for relegation.

Other fans forums will be going "who?". I will love shoving it down all their collective throats once more.

I must've missed their league winners medal and Champions League semi-finals. :lol:

I'm not comparing the managerial records of Puel with Gray or Wigley I'm comparing the fact that when we appointed Gray and Wigley everyone was left feeling flat and underwhelmed. If Puel got the job I think the vast majority of fans would have that same feeling.

Replacing Koeman was always going to be a hard job but there are better options out there than Puel. Recent history at our club shows the damage that can be done very quickly by getting the wrong manager in.

In the most recent poll on here only 4 options were given and out of the 415 who voted Puel only got 45 votes......... hardly the peoples choice is he

I'm not comparing the managerial records of Puel with Gray or Wigley I'm comparing the fact that when we appointed Gray and Wigley everyone was left feeling flat and underwhelmed. If Puel got the job I think the vast majority of fans would have that same feeling.

Replacing Koeman was always going to be a hard job but there are better options out there than Puel. Recent history at our club shows the damage that can be done very quickly by getting the wrong manager in.

In the most recent poll on here only 4 options were given and out of the 415 who voted Puel only got 45 votes......... hardly the peoples choice is he

Everyone was absolutely ****ing mortified when Adkins was replaced by Pochettino off the back of a 2-2 draw away at Chelsea.

Let's just see how it goes.

Is there something I've missed as to why people are dismissing him and putting him in the category of Wigley and Gray?

I've not really heard a great deal about him, but a quick glance at what he's done in France suggests he's one of the better managers over there. His style of play sounds great fun.

So, what exactly is it that people aren't happy about with him?

no they won't, you're clearly wrong.

Is there something I've missed as to why people are dismissing him and putting him in the category of Wigley and Gray?

I've not really heard a great deal about him, but a quick glance at what he's done in France suggests he's one of the better managers over there. His style of play sounds great fun.

So, what exactly is it that people aren't happy about with him?

Tbf- it was one guy!

I think the reason some won't be happy is that he 'isn't a big name' and that 'his experience is only in France'.

As for what people regard as a 'big name', is it someone who has managed a big club in the past? Is that what we want?

I will be honest, I too was in the Pellegrini camp, but Puel certainly has something about him, and we could be the team that lets him showcase his managerial ability in the big league.

Tbf- it was one guy!

I think the reason some won't be happy is that he 'isn't a big name' and that 'his experience is only in France'.

As for what people regard as a 'big name', is it someone who has managed a big club in the past? Is that what we want?

I will be honest, I too was in the Pellegrini camp, but Puel certainly has something about him, and we could be the team that lets him showcase his managerial ability in the big league.

I didn't see Pellegrini as a fit though, he was just a name. This bloke seems more of a fit in terms of the style of play, very MP like.

I didn't see Pellegrini as a fit though, he was just a name. This bloke seems more of a fit in terms of the style of play, very MP like.

Exactly. Who knows if he'll be a success or not, but you can clearly see why we might opt for him and how he fits what we'd look for.

No thanks. Massive step backwards if true. Finishing 4th in the French league is not as impressive as finishing 6th in the pl.

Will support whoever comes in but think this will be a bad move.

Erm, it could be argued that it is if you look at Nice's resources, the blooding of youngsters and the style of football Nice played last season. Won a lot of admirers.

They finished just two points off finishing second only to PSG.

Erm, it could be argued that it is if you look at Nice's resources, the blooding of youngsters and the style of football Nice played last season. Won a lot of admirers.

They finished just two points off finishing second only to PSG.

Do you not have to have decent youngsters first ?

I am not convinced we have at the moment enough to do that.

Maybe a few in 16-18s who else do you think should come in apart from Reed/Targett already in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you not have to have decent youngsters first ?

I am not convinced we have at the moment enough to do that.

Maybe a few in 16-18s who else do you think should come in apart from Reed/Targett already in?

I assume the club think they do or they wouldn't still be at the club. It's a major part of the club philosophy so they are going to find a manager to implement it come what may I guess.

I assume the club think they do or they wouldn't still be at the club. It's a major part of the club philosophy so they are going to find a manager to implement it come what may I guess.

With signing of new wonder kid looks as though we are going to beef that up as well - good.

So he's been building something at Nice onlimited funds and promoting youth. He's overachieved and earned widespread plaudits.

Now he could be on the verge of walking away to a "bigger" club for more money. Sounds very familiar doesn't it!

Joking aside, whilst he isn't the big name, he has certainly achieved some great success. Who knows, in 12 months time he could be be the next big name.

So he's been building something at Nice onlimited funds and promoting youth. He's overachieved and earned widespread plaudits.

Now he could be on the verge of walking away to a "bigger" club for more money. Sounds very familiar doesn't it!

Joking aside, whilst he isn't the big name, he has certainly achieved some great success. Who knows, in 12 months time he could be be the next big name.

Puel left Nice of his own accord back in May. He was going to stay on and sign a new contract but something persuaded him to do otherwise. What that might have been I've no idea. At the time I thought that Marseille were on the verge of finding a serious buyer and he'd been approached to take over there, doesn't seem to happening, for the time being at least.

Wonder if he'd bring Ben Afra with him - Mane replacement??

He'd probably be just as useless as he was at Toon or Hull. Ben Arfa looks OK in a poor league, where as I keep telling you, certain players are about Conference League standard. Ben Arfa has done nothing when the real questions were asked of him. Now his PR set up are releasing rumours of pursuit by Barcelona etc...well more fool them, he needs to prove has has what it takes in a real league first.

Well, he wouldn't have been my pick - but seeing as it seems to be him: good luck, welcome and I'm right behind him.

Some recommended reading for all Saints fans: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2016/ogc-nice-the-alternative-football-success-story/

That piece makes me feel a bit more reassured about Puel. Comparing his success to Raneri's is a fairly big deal.

Didn't Nice almost get relegated a couple of seasons ago?

Probably, it's not a particularly stable club. Runs on a budget of a sum which we might consider paying for a couple of decent players. Since they've had their flash new stadium which I don't think they own of course they're probably getting home gates of around 20000 or so.

As he is meant to be commended by Wenger we might in 12 months be concerned about him buggering off to Arsenal. Perhaps it'll be a two horse race between him and RK.

OGC Nice's statement when Puel left the club this summer:

"We had planned to see each other once the season was completed.

"With a cool head and clear ideas we took stock and discussed the future. At the end of this turn of rich and constructive horizon, we took, by common consent, the decision not to continue working.

"Our common history ends today with deep respect, and with job satisfaction. We lived four seasons of intense emotions, and took considerable pleasure to jointly develop the project at OGC Nice.

"We are so grateful for each other, this great human and sporting adventure that began in 2012.

"While a page is turned, the direction of OGC Nice and Claude Puel, true to their ambitions, wish the best for the future."

Not the greatest translation but you get the gist.

OGC Nice's statement when Puel left the club this summer:

"We had planned to see each other once the season was completed.

"With a cool head and clear ideas we took stock and discussed the future. At the end of this turn of rich and constructive horizon, we took, by common consent, the decision not to continue working.

"Our common history ends today with deep respect, and with job satisfaction. We lived four seasons of intense emotions, and took considerable pleasure to jointly develop the project at OGC Nice.

"We are so grateful for each other, this great human and sporting adventure that began in 2012.

"While a page is turned, the direction of OGC Nice and Claude Puel, true to their ambitions, wish the best for the future."

Not the greatest translation but you get the gist.

What did Nivea boy get?

Puel would see this as a stepping stone to the premier league riches ... Pellegrini would see this as his last stop ... As his legacy. And who knows, he couls pull a Ranieri and give us his own version of dilly-ding dilly dong [emoji13]

Puel would see this as a stepping stone to the premier league riches ... Pellegrini would see this as his last stop ... As his legacy. And who knows, he couls pull a Ranieri and give us his own version of dilly-ding dilly dong [emoji13]

So one is motivated when things get tough and the other isn't so much? Puel all the way for me on that basis.

Completed Monday by the way.