Death of the Bosman Ruling?

Faz

No. i think you will find that people generally are free to do what they want at the end of a contract. Footballers are people. Mostly.

only due to the EU court ruling that said that, in the old days we retained a player's registration after the contract finished and could get a transfer fee - I remember it well...

and as we're not in the EU any more...

only due to the EU court ruling that said that, in the old days we retained a player's registration after the contract finished and could get a transfer fee - I remember it well...

I think you will find we are STILL in Europe. We have voted to leave and that is yet to be ratified and can take up to two years before we are OUT of the EU. So don't expect any immediate changes.

leaving Europe doesn't mean we can revert to the slave trade, I hope

I liked those slave trade days. Nice to see them back again. "Kick that ball!". "Rather not". "Kick it" . "Ok massa, please don' hit me no more"

Hang on, has wanyama actually gone or can we still drag him back?

I think it is unlikely that EUFA and FIFA will allow English clubs to retrain registrations of out of contract players while the rest of the world cannot.

I doubt vote will have any effect on Bosman.

Where it might very well have an effect is on recruitment of EU players who will now likely need to meet the same visa requirements as non EU players currently do.

That all depends on what kind of situation we end up with. If we stay in the Single Market with the associated free movement of labour then employment conditions would be unchanged.

I doubt vote will have any effect on Bosman.

Where it might very well have an effect is on recruitment of EU players who will now likely need to meet the same visa requirements as non EU players currently do.

Not quite right, surely. Bosman has meant that EU players can play in any EU country without a work permit. To get a work permit for a non-Eu players doesn't it have to be shown that the proposed player has something to offer that the club could not get by employing a UK, or EU, national. If so, this could clubs still being able to get work permits for international players but not for others. Main impact could be on clubs using European players who are not internationals and on young players coming to the UK to develop as footballers. I wonder if Schneiderlin (among others) could have come to Southampton under the rules that may apply in a couple of year's time.

BTW, I wonder if those who voted Leave realised that in a couple of year's time, they may not be able to use their EHIC card for health care when in Europe. With unexpected impact on things like football and travel you do wonder if people were given enough unbiased information on which to take the decision they have.

Not quite right, surely. Bosman has meant that EU players can play in any EU country without a work permit. To get a work permit for a non-Eu players doesn't it have to be shown that the proposed player has something to offer that the club could not get by employing a UK, or EU, national. If so, this could clubs still being able to get work permits for international players but not for others. Main impact could be on clubs using European players who are not internationals and on young players coming to the UK to develop as footballers. I wonder if Schneiderlin (among others) could have come to Southampton under the rules that may apply in a couple of year's time.

BTW, I wonder if those who voted Leave realised that in a couple of year's time, they may not be able to use their EHIC card for health care when in Europe. With unexpected impact on things like football and travel you do wonder if people were given enough unbiased information on which to take the decision they have.

Hmmm. Thinks about the future of humankind and the planet known as Earth.

Nah, sack that off - I want to be able to go to Amsterdam on a **** up and when I fall over and cut my knee get free healthcare. Come to think of it, knowing most people you could have probably got a 99% stay vote with that argument. It's all your fault.

I think you will find we are STILL in Europe. We have voted to leave and that is yet to be ratified and can take up to two years before we are OUT of the EU. So don't expect any immediate changes.

I am well aware that we are still in the EU at the moment, got to love the pedantry of a football forum :) Point about Bosman still stands. Having said that we're going to have to abide by EU law probably anyway to keep trading in the EU so it probably changes nothing :)

Nah, sack that off - I want to be able to go to Amsterdam on a **** up and when I fall over and cut my knee get free healthcare. Come to think of it, knowing most people you could have probably got a 99% stay vote with that argument. It's all your fault.

Not me mate, I didn't vote yesterday. The Bosman ruling has had good and bad consequences but it has certainly made top footballers very rich. I suppose, if Premier League clubs are limited in which players they can sign that might create a few more vacancies for UK players. I think this thread is interesting because it shows that issues which are far too minor to have featured in the referendum debate, and would have had no impact on it, can still be affected by the outcome. If Cameron had mentioned Bosman, think how many more people would have been queuing up to vote...err...none.

And the end of the booze trip to fill up your car for a wedding, funeral, bar mitzvah or something. That might have got a few more votes.

If so, this could clubs still being able to get work permits for international players but not for others. Main impact could be on clubs using European players who are not internationals and on young players coming to the UK to develop as footballers. I wonder if Schneiderlin (among others) could have come to Southampton under the rules that may apply in a couple of year's time.

This will be a good thing for football in general, British youngsters will get more chances to develop and youngsters from abroad will have to stay in their own country so their talent won't be lost to big clubs who are not really interested in them but need them for their youth academy in order to be allowed to spend more cash on players they really want. I'm all for it but I expect the FA to change the rules so nothing will change in the end. Alas...

And the end of the booze trip to fill up your car for a wedding, funeral, bar mitzvah or something. That might have got a few more votes.

Ah I don't know. At one time the "Duty Free" which was just in effect VAT free fuelled the ridiculously low prices on Ferries.

I used to have a day trip to the UK (when we lived in Paris that is and Calais was an hour and a half away if I put my foot down and didn't listen to constant stop requests from the kids) return ticket 50 Francs. Looked at the ferry prices the other day and they wanted to charge me 150 euros. EasyJet and a hired car comes at half of that. Now that VAT will eventually return to

payment at borders and you'll still get "personal allowance" those days may return.

However for the old freight clearance agencies business will eventually boom again when VAT becomes payable at UK ports.

that was a sinister racket, getting charged 2% fee on top of the VAT payable.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Ah I don't know. At one time the "Duty Free" which was just in effect VAT free fuelled the ridiculously low prices on Ferries.

I used to have a day trip to the UK (when we lived in Paris that is and Calais was an hour and a half away if I put my foot down and didn't listen to constant stop requests from the kids) return ticket 50 Francs. Looked at the ferry prices the other day and they wanted to charge me 150 euros. EasyJet and a hired car comes at half of that. Now that VAT will eventually return to

payment at borders and you'll still get "personal allowance" those days may return.

However for the old freight clearance agencies business will eventually boom again when VAT becomes payable at UK ports.

that was a sinister racket, getting charged 2% fee on top of the VAT payable.

I'm digressing a bit (as usual) but the ferry company's income used to be 1/3 fares 1/3 freight and 1/3 duty free.

With the current political set-up of predominantly pro-EU MPs I cannot see us ever settling for less than Single Market access and all that entails including free movement of labour.

IF we do lose the ability to recruit players under the Bosman ruling, I think that it may well affect the teams lower down the English football pyramid. The type of players that a top 10 prem team are going to be looking to buy should pass the criteria, as they would tend to be proven internationals (generally speaking) - but are a L1 or L2 team going to be able to buy someone from 4th tier of French football for example. It could be good for British football as these lower teams may have to look closer to home.

IF we do lose the ability to recruit players under the Bosman ruling, I think that it may well affect the teams lower down the English football pyramid. The type of players that a top 10 prem team are going to be looking to buy should pass the criteria, as they would tend to be proven internationals (generally speaking) - but are a L1 or L2 team going to be able to buy someone from 4th tier of French football for example. It could be good for British football as these lower teams may have to look closer to home.

The Bosman ruling enabled players to leave clubs without a fee when their contracts were completed as prior to this clubs retained their registrations and required fees to release them even after their contracts ran out

It is not about freedom of movement to work across the EU for all EU citizens without the need of a work permit which I think is what you are referring too

If we are to stay in the one market despite leaving the EU we will have to allow the same freedom of movement that full members have that is the conundrum any future UK government needs to resolve when negotiating our exit

The EU is highly unlikely to allow full market participation at the same time as restrictions on its citizens to work in that market

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

So it looks like Brexit. Given that the Bosman ruling was an EU court ruling, will today's decision see a change to players freedom on movement?

What will happen is that the Premier League will get to decide its own rules on numbers of foreign employees. As one of the major UK successes overseas, it may be able to influence any post-EU UK law to allow exceptions (which if they've got any sense they will make on a wage basis so they truly are exceptions based on that exceptional factor).

So if anything it'll deregulate who can be signed completely - whether the FA then wants to enforce the homegrown etc will be up to them within the parameters of how easy it is for non UK nationals to get the right to play in the UK (which as I've mentioned could be very easy or very difficult depending on what the government decides to do, but it makes sense to support a globally know successful business which relies on so much international talent).

It's got nowt to do with Bosman anyway.