Les reed ultimately to blame?

Mr X

Koeman would have been a lame duck manager this season. Correct decision made.

Write Reed off at your peril. I have, quite a few times, but every time he has proved me wrong.

Having said that, if he appoints Puel as manager, again I will be asking questions.

Oh wait ???? Whats happened ??

Who is stupid now ? ****

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Still you obviously, did your get an increase in you jobseekers?

But I did miss the fact that you paid up, so looking on the bright side I can look forward to reviewing more of your crap... should be fun

Jesus christ, what a load of crap spouted on here these days. Like a school bloody playground.

Go to a PM or something, no one has any interest in your stupid childish squabbles.

Apologises, can't help myself as he is such a tool

I will leave it for now

In our working lives I suspect that we have all seen senior managers like Les Reed. They are very good at taking credit when things go well but go missing when things do not go well. They ride on the backs of the staff who actually get the results.

I have no doubt that Reed is a very capable, intelligent man but I think his luck will run out eventually. Unfortunately that means the club will suffer. So I hope I am wrong but my gut feeling is that we are unlikely to progress from where we are now as long as we are relying on the academy continuing to produce as it has in the past. Koeman was realistic enough to deduce that the tap has run dry for the moment. Unless we suddenly produce another golden generation then the "Southampton (Reed) Way" cannot take us forward.

It looks as though we have rejected Pellegrini in favour of Puel because he "ticks the (Reed) boxes". That is a massive gamble.

As a fan I hope it works and Reed lives another day. I just can't see it.

1) He appoints the guys who get results so hardly riding on their backs

2)You can't, surely, put his ability to appoint managers each one a progression on the former down to luck???

3)The job Reed is employed to do is to further the 'Southampton Way'.....whether through a good crop from the Academy or by purchasing...how can that tap run dry?

4)We don't know if Puel is coming, we do know that Pellegrini isn't but we don't know why....or do you have that information?

5) His record is good...at some stage one of his appointments won't be as good as the others...I hope, if that is the case, that he gets a chance to rectify it - his record deserves it.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, only that I think that your assumptions are unduly negative given the information there...and that Les Reed should be allowed to stand on his record with us that's near faultless in terms of year on year progression.

Surely any amount of referendums is valid. A result from next week, month, year, decade shows an answer from that population as accurately as this week's one. Having one regularly would quickly show how pointless referendums are, because results would change all the time. Same with surveying anything subjective. Insane really. Now we get the simplistic 'you can't have another one because you didn't get the result' blah blah, but that's always what will happen if the vote is for continuity over change. Same with Scotland, they'll have another one eventually. New voters come along, once you've opened the referendum door then new generations want a say too, understandably. It's all utter ******** really.

Yep.

It's still Les Reeds fault though

Jesus christ, what a load of crap spouted on here these days. Like a school bloody playground.

Go to a PM or something, no one has any interest in your stupid childish squabbles.

You big pooey small pants smelly spoil sport, I was enjoying that!

I fookin hope they gave RK an ultimatum name me a club that have had a good season knowing it was the managers last apart from man utd's last under Ferguson, although remember the first time he said he was off? Last time we had a manager announce he was leaving at the end of the season we had a total mare the likes of which I never want to see again! City were terrible for pellegrini this year etc etc

Much better to have 5m in the bank and a committed manager spot in from Les!

Maybe I am a bit dim but something doesn't add up with the Koeman thing. If he said he wanted to finish his last season but was told he needed to sign a new deal why did we get compensation? Surely if he was not going to sign we would of had to sack him?

Once another club is involved and he wants to go the situation changes to either they pay up and you go there or you are on gardening leave for once the club held the whip hand!

Well ill bite then, what issues? Everybody in here talks about issues that would come up but i dont see anyone mentioning a single issue. I see far less issues with that then having to replace your manager on short notice in this time of the year where your preparing the pre-season and talking with players while not having a manager yet.

And whats with this committing stuff anyway? Why do you have to be committed long term to do your job? Or do you think a manager (or player) is going to half ass the last year of his contract cause he's going to leave anyway? Nobody with ambition is going to do that.

It's different in Holland probably but in the English top division the constant questions and speculation from the press would be unsettling for the club and players, I believe that the club offered him a new deal with a release clause for CL clubs or Holland at 4.5m or so a year, he got a better offer from Everton with more transfer funds felt it was too good to turn down especially as he had taken us to 6th already with a very low net spend and felt he couldn't take us any further.

Whether that's the right decision time will tell, if he had stayed though he could of been a legend if he had won us a trophy or broke into the the top 4.

If he does that for Everton they'll be overjoyed but as they're such a massive succesful club they expected it and he most likely won't leave a legend and will simply leave with just a much fatter wallet.

In our working lives I suspect that we have all seen senior managers like Les Reed. They are very good at taking credit when things go well but go missing when things do not go well. They ride on the backs of the staff who actually get the results.

I have no doubt that Reed is a very capable, intelligent man but I think his luck will run out eventually. Unfortunately that means the club will suffer. So I hope I am wrong but my gut feeling is that we are unlikely to progress from where we are now as long as we are relying on the academy continuing to produce as it has in the past. Koeman was realistic enough to deduce that the tap has run dry for the moment. Unless we suddenly produce another golden generation then the "Southampton (Reed) Way" cannot take us forward.

It looks as though we have rejected Pellegrini in favour of Puel because he "ticks the (Reed) boxes". That is a massive gamble.

As a fan I hope it works and Reed lives another day. I just can't see it.

How can you possibly know that Reed will go missing when things do not go well since that hasn't happened yet. For that matter, how can you know why (or even if) we rejected Pellegrini. Maybe he wanted full control over transfer decisions. Maybe he wanted to redesign and rebuild the training facility. Maybe he wanted too much money because Russia was willing to pay him a lot more.

Les has shown exceptional loyalty and provided the continuity thread the club has really needed

He has also been able to to win the confidence of Kat and Ralph on footballing matters and without his sound advice I am sure we would not be in the very comfortable position we now find ourselves

We only have to cast our thoughts back to those dark days just seven seasons ago when we ran the risk of losing the club for good and couldn't pay of debts of a level that the sale of one player would easily cover now

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

In previous responses people have questioned my conclusions and how I reach them. Fair enough. Unless we are genuinely "in the know" then we are all just using informed guesswork.

In my job I have to disseminate information and then make decisions. Some of that information is correct and some is simply false. I have no way of knowing which is which unless there is actual evidence available. What I can do though, is look at the information and the evidence, if available, and try to figure out what conclusions "fit" the best.

In the current scenario with my beloved football club I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Koeman was "nudged" aside because he no longer fit with Southampton way. He wanted us to be "ambitious".

2) Koeman did not think our current crop of youngsters are good enough to be blooded in the upper reaches of the Premier League.

3) We have now been in discussions with several candidates, including Manuel Pellegrini.

4) We have decided that Claude Puel is a better fit.

The above are just my conclusions based on the drip feed of information available to us.

It is also my opinion that all of this constitutes a cheaper option and could therefore be interpreted as unambitious.

I am not in favour of throwing money at the club to buy success. However, neither do I want us to be approaching the new season with no Wanyama, no Mane, no Pelle and an untested manager but money in the bank.

I repeat, that I could be wrong and hope I am wrong.

Les Reed has been instrumental in all of our recent success. I am happy to give him credit for that. However, I just wonder if we have now reached a stage where we need to adapt the plan. If we fail because we did not adapt then he should take responsibility. I doubt that he will.

All speculation but based on facts and a gut feel for the situation at my club.

In previous responses people have questioned my conclusions and how I reach them. Fair enough. Unless we are genuinely "in the know" then we are all just using informed guesswork.

In my job I have to disseminate information and then make decisions. Some of that information is correct and some is simply false. I have no way of knowing which is which unless there is actual evidence available. What I can do though, is look at the information and the evidence, if available, and try to figure out what conclusions "fit" the best.

In the current scenario with my beloved football club I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Koeman was "nudged" aside because he no longer fit with Southampton way. He wanted us to be "ambitious".

2) Koeman did not think our current crop of youngsters are good enough to be blooded in the upper reaches of the Premier League.

3) We have now been in discussions with several candidates, including Manuel Pellegrini.

The above are just my conclusions based on the drip feed of information available to us.

It is also my opinion that all of this constitutes a cheaper option and could therefore be interpreted as unambitious.

I am not in favour of throwing money at the club to buy success. However, neither do I want us to be approaching the new season with no Wanyama, no Mane, no Pelle and an untested manager but money in the bank.

Les Reed has been instrumental in all of our recent success. I am happy to give him credit for that. However, I just wonder if we have now reached a stage where we need to adapt the plan. If we fail because we did not adapt then he should take responsibility. I doubt that he will.

Except he appears to have been nudged aside because he wouldn't commit to the club. Would the club be showing more ambition by letting Koeman wind his contract down? Seems to me by asking Koeman to commit longer term Les was showing plenty of ambition.

Understand what you are attempting here,however BB, here's the caveat, if it's all speculation it can't be baaed on facts.

All speculation full stop.

Based on the above , I would speculate that you are sh it at your job.

An ultimatum was given to koeman sign an extension or go

Why did we not let koeman see out his last year? That way we would have got one more season and still had plenty of time to look for his eventual successor was it purely for a bit of compensation?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/17/everton-manager-ronald-koeman-southampton-ultimatum-forced-me-ou/

Les Reed to be blamed .....or praised? We won't know until it happens.

I have faith in Les and the club to make the right signings and keep us going but the club really needs to work on its PR. The interviews where Les said Koeman would re-sign, Clyne would re-sign, we're keeping our players blah blah blah only goes to reinforce our image of a weak selling club. The reality is we're not a weak selling club. We've gotten some amazing fees for our players. But the club prefers to treat us like idiots and embarrass the club and its fans by saying 1 thing and doing the opposite. There's no shame in acknowledging when the price is too good to turn down and then promote our scouting network and ability to find replacements for less.

I have faith in Les and the club to make the right signings and keep us going but the club really needs to work on its PR. The interviews where Les said Koeman would re-sign, Clyne would re-sign, we're keeping our players blah blah blah only goes to reinforce our image of a weak selling club. The reality is we're not a weak selling club. We've gotten some amazing fees for our players. But the club prefers to treat us like idiots and embarrass the club and its fans by saying 1 thing and doing the opposite. There's no shame in acknowledging when the price is too good to turn down and then promote our scouting network and ability to find replacements for less.

This is spot on. On one hand club accept our place in the food chain yet on the other they give impression skies the limit with the "ambition". They made a point when announcing koeman's departure that they wanted someone whose ambition is aligned with club and it's supporters. Imo there is total disconnect with fans over ambition which is down to poor/misleading PR from club. Fans need transparency in order to hsve their expectations aligned not bull**** youtube videos from Les Reed.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

This is spot on. On one hand club accept our place in the food chain yet on the other they give impression skies the limit with the "ambition". They made a point when announcing koeman's departure that they wanted someone whose ambition is aligned with club and it's supporters. Imo there is total disconnect with fans over ambition which is down to poor/misleading PR from club. Fans need transparency in order to hsve their expectations aligned not bull**** youtube videos from Les Reed.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Saints fans expectations have risen steadily every year thanks to the clubs up ward trajectory. Now thanks to Leicester fans expectations in the PL as a whole seem to have gone through the roof.

It's different in Holland probably but in the English top division the constant questions and speculation from the press would be unsettling for the club and players, I believe that the club offered him a new deal with a release clause for CL clubs or Holland at 4.5m or so a year, he got a better offer from Everton with more transfer funds felt it was too good to turn down especially as he had taken us to 6th already with a very low net spend and felt he couldn't take us any further.

Whether that's the right decision time will tell, if he had stayed though he could of been a legend if he had won us a trophy or broke into the the top 4.

If he does that for Everton they'll be overjoyed but as they're such a massive succesful club they expected it and he most likely won't leave a legend and will simply leave with just a much fatter wallet.

Its the same everywhere, Koeman was asked constantly at Feyenoord when or where he was going and same for de Boer at Ajax but nobody got unsettled by that cause there really is no reason for it. If you get unsettled by questions, rumors and speculation (or what ever) tho you should get the **** out of football cause its not your world. Koeman was asked constantly last few months what he was going to do as well and nobody got unsettled by that so or do you really think they will be players with sleepless nights because the manager might leave next year?

So ill ask again, what issues? There really are none. Its all nonsense really and the longer is takes before they announce the new manager the more i get the idea that the club overplayed their hand, otherwise all this makes zero sense.

Its the same everywhere, Koeman was asked constantly at Feyenoord when or where he was going and same for de Boer at Ajax but nobody got unsettled by that cause there really is no reason for it. If you get unsettled by questions, rumors and speculation (or what ever) tho you should get the **** out of football cause its not your world. Koeman was asked constantly last few months what he was going to do as well and nobody got unsettled by that so or do you really think they will be players with sleepless nights because the manager might leave next year?

So ill ask again, what issues? There really are none. Its all nonsense really and the longer is takes before they announce the new manager the more i get the idea that the club overplayed their hand, otherwise all this makes zero sense.

Not sleepless nights for the players no but half arsed performances in matches and training by players probable, in the back of their mind they'll be like he's not here next season so why bother trying to impress him.

Think we just felt we wanted to start a long term 4-5 year plan with the same manager and Koeman didn't want to do this, luckily for him Everton wanted him and offered him obscene amounts of money to boot!

Win win for all concerned, for us at least I hope. Time will tell though, obviously.

• 3 weeks later...
Wouldn't be a summer without a Les Reed thread.

The Les Reed See-Saw is currently down on the "negative" side. I expect it to tip to the positive side soon enough.

As it's official adjudicator - with Højbjerg & Bertrand signed up, I'm officially announcing that the Les Reed See-Saw has tilted back to positive, as predicted.

:D