The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

I've never heard one of the house rumours turn out to be true.

I have - I met the landlord of a house let to a player who said that the removal men had been around that morning and he had taken the keys back. This was shortly after the end of the season and about 2 months before his signing at the next club was announced. Don't want to mention the player in case it affects the landlord.

Could it be that Sammy Lee "taking up a place" was causing a problem?

Now if given the choice between Puel and FdB - who would people take?

Would prefer FdB I think but I have to be honest I have really warmed to CP over the last week so wouldn't be disappointed either way

Are we just lucky that the last three Managers we've appointed (presuming it is Puel) have been out of work or is there something about the way we go about things that means we only tend to target out of work Managers for whatever reason?

I know Adkins was at S****horpe but even most of the candidates we've been linked to over the years have all been out of work. Why is this?

I have - I met the landlord of a house let to a player who said that the removal men had been around that morning and he had taken the keys back. This was shortly after the end of the season and about 2 months before his signing at the next club was announced. Don't want to mention the player in case it affects the landlord.

Tommy Forecast?

I can't believe there are people who don't think it's Puel.

It is a mystery. All the more reliable journos are agreed it's Puel, Telegraph, which we know has the clubs ear have said it's Puel. So people naturally assume it's FdB because of unfounded rumours, and a few quid lumped on him because of said rumours. :lol:

BetVictor, Ladbrooks and Betfair have all suspended betting on Puel.

Edited by MicrowavedGerbil

The glittering career of Lawrie Sanchez is enough for any club to run a mile from Northern Ireland managers.

I think most people on here have been healthily underwhelmed by Puel - we can see his record. No one's swooning about him as Samuel claims.

The only whiff-of-exotic swooning on here comes from the dins getting all wet over some hipster no-mark showing remarkable adeptness to relegate some two-bob club while barely scoring a goal a game.

I can just imagine his scathing, mocking tone had we actually appointed the NI manager.

"From Koeman to O'neill. How Southampton lost the plot"

Can't win with the bloke.

Have the club offended him at some point or is he like it with every club?

Is his gripe why we aren't taking someone British? Then why didn't Everton- didn't see an article about them.

He is a c*nt simple.

It seems that it might be.

So it's OK for Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Man C, Man U, West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Swansea, Watford, Newcastl, Villa and Boro to have foreign managers but not us.

They won't make an official announcement until the sponsors kick in. 100%

Not doubting you but why would club want to wait for UA sponsorship to kick in before announcing new manager? Besides club love milking PR so would have thought kit launch would tie in with start of UA contract and new manager announced before that.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

They won't make an official announcement until the sponsors kick in. 100%

That would be very counter productive. Surely the new sponsor and Supplier would want the Saints media dominated with UA and VM branded goods. Not usurped by the management announcement.

That would be very counter productive. Surely the new sponsor and Supplier would want the Saints media dominated with UA and VM branded goods. Not usurped by the management announcement.

Interesting argument. Surely it could be said though, that VM & UA would want as much media attention as possible around the club when the partnerships actually start... e.g. The launch of a new kit, would be perfect to promote the new manager, as it's more pictures of him in/with a Saint's shirt for the media to use, so more people see the new kit. I do agree with what you said though, all depends on how the club play it.

Pretty sure he kicked off at Cortese and co when we sacked Pardew, too.

The lawsuit pre-dates that and provided his initial antipathy.

As somebody else on here pointed out, he is inconsistent and scatter-gun in his approach.

The same English managers available to Saints were available to Everton when they appointed Koeman but that did not attract his attention.

The sponsors and kit manufacturer will want the new manager holding the new kit surely! I see it going along the lines of day 1) look at our lovely new kit, lots of photos in the press and shared on social media. Day 2) welcome to saints Mr Puel it's great to have you as out manager, oh look you are holding our new kit, lots of photos in the press and shared on social media. Day 3) welcome to saints Mr mane replacement, oh look you are holding our new kit, lots of photos in press and shared on social media.

The sponsors and kit manufacturer will want the new manager holding the new kit surely! I see it going along the lines of day 1) look at our lovely new kit, lots of photos in the press and shared on social media. Day 2) welcome to saints Mr Puel it's great to have you as out manager, oh look you are holding our new kit, lots of photos in the press and shared on social media. Day 3) welcome to saints Mr mane replacement, oh look you are holding our new kit, lots of photos in press and shared on social media.

Nah... Fans will solely be taking about the manager and/or player if its all done together.

Get the manager talk sorted one day. Kit talk sorted another day.

It seems that it might be.

So it's OK for Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Man C, Man U, West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Swansea, Watford, Newcastl, Villa and Boro to have foreign managers but not us.

Samuels is a West Ham supporter - where is their English manager? Also, surprise, surprise, he sees nothing wrong with their stadium deal.

To be honest, he has a point on Puel at Lyon, his record is not very impressive there. We more seem to be signing him based on Nice and mainly on last season, which is a bit of gamble, I mean for a guy who won a title like 14 years ago he hasn't done a huge amount since.

However, the accusations about a British manager are stupid, where are his attacks on ALL the other clubs that have changed manager recently and appointed a foreign manager?

Also international football management is massively different from club management and didn't O'Neill fail to win in his first 18 games? Why would a top 6 club who are about to play in Europe, with aspirations of playing in the Champions League appoint a manager who's only club management experience is 3rd tier Scottish football and Irish football?

The biggest 'star' he's managed is probably Steven Davis, he'd be a risky appointment for most Championship clubs.

To be honest, he has a point on Puel at Lyon, his record is not very impressive there. We more seem to be signing him based on Nice and mainly on last season, which is a bit of gamble, I mean for a guy who won a title like 14 years ago he hasn't done a huge amount since.

However, the accusations about a British manager are stupid, where are his attacks on ALL the other clubs that have changed manager recently and appointed a foreign manager?

Also international football management is massively different from club management and didn't O'Neill fail to win in his first 18 games? Why would a top 6 club who are about to play in Europe, with aspirations of playing in the Champions League appoint a manager who's only club management experience is 3rd tier Scottish football and Irish football?

The biggest 'star' he's managed is probably Steven Davis, he'd be a risky appointment for most Championship clubs.

Everybody seems to just totally ignore the six seasons he spent at Lille.