• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

That graph is today, shows a rising pound from the start of business and is only a c*** hair lower (or will be), by the close. Sherlock clown feet is not making squat on the pound.

Here's another quote:

You see those little handy hint numbers at the bottom? Those are times. you see the black line in the middle? That separates days. When the numbers get to zero and there is a black line, thats when the day changes. Need any more help on reading a chart or using a cashpoint, I'm here.

Edited by buctootim

Here's another picture for you to colour in:

chart?chart_primary_ticker=FX^GBP:USD&chart_time_period=1_month&canvas_colour=000000&primary_chart_colour=CC0000&use_transparency=0&plot_colour=ffffff&cp_line_colour=1F4F82&margin_left=35&margin_bottom=20&margin_right=20&time_24hr=1&tiny_chart=1&tiny_month_view=1&logo_strength=light&y_axis_left=1&x_axis_plain=1&cp_line=1&cp_line_style=dotline&charting_freq=1_minute&co_dimension^width=629&co_dimension^height=190

Shorting the pound...:lol: Pal, you're a financial genius, making the square root of f*** all. If you were making money trading, you as sure as hell wouldn't be wasting time posting drivel on here.

chart?chart_primary_ticker=FX^GBP:USD&chart_time_period=12_month&canvas_colour=000000&primary_chart_colour=CC0000&use_transparency=0&plot_colour=ffffff&cp_line_colour=1F4F82&margin_left=35&margin_bottom=20&margin_right=20&time_24hr=1&tiny_chart=1&tiny_month_view=1&logo_strength=light&y_axis_left=1&x_axis_plain=1&cp_line=1&cp_line_style=dotline&charting_freq=1_minute&co_dimension^width=629&co_dimension^height=190

This is the one you're looking for. Its down 17.1% against the dollar since the referendum. hth.

Edited by buctootim

Here's another picture for you to colour in:

chart?chart_primary_ticker=FX^GBP:USD&chart_time_period=1_month&canvas_colour=000000&primary_chart_colour=CC0000&use_transparency=0&plot_colour=ffffff&cp_line_colour=1F4F82&margin_left=35&margin_bottom=20&margin_right=20&time_24hr=1&tiny_chart=1&tiny_month_view=1&logo_strength=light&y_axis_left=1&x_axis_plain=1&cp_line=1&cp_line_style=dotline&charting_freq=1_minute&co_dimension^width=629&co_dimension^height=190

Shorting the pound...:lol: Pal, you're a financial genius, making the square root of f*** all. If you were making money trading, you as sure as hell wouldn't be wasting time posting drivel on here.

:lol:

Today's the 18th pal. That chart only goes as far as the 17th. Can you count or read, little kipper?

You see those little handy hint numbers at the bottom? Those are times. you see the black line in the middle? That separates days. When the numbers get to zero and there is a black line, thats when the day changes. Need any more help on shorting or using a cashpoint, I'm here.

Timmy, you can't even work out my profit from the year on year change in my balance sheet, so if it's all the same, I'll continue treat your posts and Sherlock's as comedy material.

That's because the day isn't over, pal....

You can take profits before the day is out, as I have done (slightly over 1% against the $).

If I need advice on horse**** and fertiliser, I'll know where to come. Stick to what you know, little kipper.

Edited by shurlock

You can take profits before the day is out little kipper, as I have done (slightly over 1% against the $).

If I need on advice on horse**** and fertiliser, I'll know where to come.

He's right GM. You dont want to miss the right time to sell and then be stuck with a pile of turd you can't get rid of when there are no buyers. If things got really bad he'd have to start borrowing all over the place, maybe even from sub-prime lenders.

You can take profits before the day is out, as I have done (slightly over 1% against the $).

If you're day trading currencies, in an attempt to get rich, you're a bigger mug than your posts indicate. I can see you attempting to justify it, together with your wins on the horses because you know the "form". You're back on ignore, pal, because you are quite obviously a troll.

If you're day trading currencies, in an attempt to get rich, you're a bigger mug than your posts indicate. I can see you attempting to justify it, together with your wins on the horses because you know the "form". You're back on ignore, pal, because you are quite obviously a troll.

Ignore? :lol: Don't be salty GM. What are you going to do when the UK and US consummate their special relationship in a glorious, mutually beneficial free-trade deal -all in record time?

Watch your heart, old boy, you're working yourself in a frenzy. Back on planet earth:

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2017/01/on-brexit-over-optimism.html

Nothing wrong with my heart old chump, but I'm touched by your concern, unnecessary though it is. Neither am I in any sort of frenzy and my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

Thanks for the link to the amusing blog. It wasn't yours by any chance? It has your tone of arrogant superiority about it.

I'm pleased to see that you haven't bothered to argue the toss on the legal aspects of our ability to negotiate our own trade deals with the rest of the World pending our departure from the EU. I gather that in your own mind, your forte lies with economic matters rather than legal ones. We will have to wait and see how we fare with our trade negotiations during the two year Article 50 period, but I'm afraid that I won't be paying too much attention to the pessimistic views expressed in a blog by somebody I've never heard of.

Timmy appears to be well on his way to having his forecasts of a Norwegian style deal being proved wrong and I look forward to seeing how wrong you will be regarding the trade deals in the next couple of years.

The Express article also cites the World Bank and you're now in the habit of rounding down figure - are you sure you're not telling porkies? ;)

To repeat, the headline statement is correct (never mind you're unable to establish, even using official data how much EU migrants send home).

Keep ploughing away Baldrick.

The Libyan School of Economics haven't exactly been whiter than white when it comes to donations and where they come from...

http://woolflse.com/dl/woolf-lse-report.pdf

Quite a few porkies have been told for financial gain. Hmmm..

But then they are helping to breed homophobia, sexism and elitism. Maybe someone on here was a student???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781919/Top-London-university-caught-new-sexism-row-freshers-week-leaflets-branded-women-slags-trollops-crumpets.html

... and that's before they defrauded british taxpayers for fake research

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3863462/Exposed-university-helped-secure-9million-money-passing-rivals-research-bankroll-climate-change-agenda.html

So they take money from the EU to produce research which shows the EU in a positive light, and it's all above board??? (whilst omitting important factors). Yeah, right. I'm with ya mate

More Trade Deals Reported in the Telegraph

Britain has already begun informal trade negotiations with 12 countries across the world, Liam Fox reveals as he says Brexit is "key to British prosperity". Writing in The Telegraph, the International Trade Secretary says that Britain is conducting “trade audits” in order to prepare deals that can be announced as soon as the UK quits the European Union in 2019.

It is understood that ministers and officials are already in talks with countries including China, India, Australia and South Korea as well as Middle Eastern nations such as Saudi Arabia and Oman.

OK I've played the man, as you well know. Now I'll play the ball.

Page 1 - "But immigrants consume goods and services and thisincreased demandhelps to create more employment opportunities."

Yes they do (as well as paying their taxes), but there is absolutely no consideration for the money that's sent back to countries of origin. In my personal experience, I know a number of Eastern Europeans that have settled here. But equally, I know a significant number that are either living frugally and sending their money back to their families or are saving money for when they go back home. A world bank report estimated that some £11 billion is sent home from the UK every year, which is aside of the amounts being saved for future use back home.

I would expect such esteemed economists, with vast resources at their disposal, to at least acknowledge this factor. Instead it has been completely ignored, presumably because it doesn't help to support their conclusions??? Still this "independent" and "unbias" research has some validity, even if it doesn't consider the complete picture and is selective in which evidence is assessed.

Well if they are performing useful work in our economy, paying their taxes and managing to keep a roof over the heads in modern Britain - seldom a inexpensive business - then I can only wonder how much money your typical immigrant has left over after all of that to send back to their families in the old country. I'm not even quite sure why I'm supposed to see this activity as a bad thing anyway.

It seems to me that if some Polish girl is sending a few quid back to her poor old mum in Warsaw every month then good for her. If on the other I supposed to believe that taking money out of the country is a bad thing per se, then why don't you have a pop at those wealthy British people who take three foreign holidays every year?

Well if they are performing useful work in our economy, paying their taxes and managing to keep a roof over the heads in modern Britain - seldom a inexpensive business - then I can only wonder how much money your typical immigrant has left over after all of that to send back to their families in the old country. I'm not even quite sure why I'm supposed to see this activity as a bad thing anyway.

It seems to me that if some Polish girl is sending a few quid back to her poor old mum in Warsaw every month then good for her. If on the other I supposed to believe that taking money out of the country is a bad thing per se, then why don't you have a pop at those wealthy British people who take three foreign holidays every year?

You make some good points and i dont disagree. I was merely highlighting that even a report by esteemed economists isnt difficult to pull apart, even by an amateur like me. As it happens, many are shacked up in shared housing.

For what it is worth, immigration in the referendum was not an issue for me. Our digital press and mailing house is 100% staffed by eastern europeans. They work incedibly hard and their work ethic is far superior to the new labour nannied millenials with their over inflated sense of self worth and their over inflated sense of entitlement.

IMO the UK should allow as many as we need to keep our economy on track.

You make some good points and i dont disagree. I was merely highlighting that even a report by esteemed economists isnt difficult to pull apart, even by an amateur like me. As it happens, many are shacked up in shared housing.

For what it is worth, immigration in the referendum was not an issue for me. Our digital press and mailing house is 100% staffed by eastern europeans. They work incedibly hard and their work ethic is far superior to the new labour nannied millenials with their over inflated sense of self worth and their over inflated sense of entitlement.

Their point holds in a first-order sense, forcing you to make fictitious claims and putting words in the authors mouths i.e. migrants spend all their money here. Where do they claim this?

Frankly the issue of remittances is hugely complex, even simply evidencing it is fraught, never mind working out the economic welfare benefits. Indeed the question is rarely, if ever framed in the way you have done, outside the feverish minds of kippers and the Express.

Why not focus on the meat of the paper which is the impact of immigration on local jobs, wages and public services? It's no shsme if you have nothing to say on it - after all, in your own words, you're not an expert.

Edited by shurlock

Well I'm both pleased to see, and of course accept without reservation, that you Johnny are not a xenophobic person and that fear of immigration did not motivate your decision to vote leave. However, I put it to you that that fear of immigration was for a great number of British people the driving factor behind their decision to vote us out of the EU. Indeed, there is good evidence to support this contention is there not?

Daily Telegraph: EU leaders have attempted to order Britain not to conduct any formal trade deal talks until after the Brexit process is complete.

As it seems that we are legally permitted to enter into trade discussions with the rest of the World before we leave the EU, I believe that the meaning of the two fingers vertical is understood internationally.

Well I'm both pleased to see, and of course accept without reservation, that you Johnny are not a xenophobic person and that fear of immigration did not motivate your decision to vote leave. However, I put it to you that that fear of immigration was for a great number of British people the driving factor behind their decision to vote us out of the EU. Indeed, there is good evidence to support this contention is there not?

There is no doubt that immigration was a significant factor in the vote to leave.

But before remainers get on their righteous high horses, is it not worth considering that the EU is in itself, institutionally racist??

The EU's very existence is based upon protecting white French farmers against African farmers. By putting up barriers, the EU is continuing to ensure that Africa stays impoverished and is indirectly responsible for people jumping in rubber dinghys to attempt to get to the promised land. If we perhaps imported more food from Africa, the peoples of Europe would benefit from lower food bills and at the same time we would be helping an impoverished continent. But no, **** them, pull the drawbridge up, as long as we're alright. Nick Griffin would be proud of such a policy...

If we are making free trade deals around the world, I would like to see more done with Africa and the former commonwealth countries...

Like JB, I accept that there have been strong benefits from immigration. What bothered me and no doubt most of those who voted to leave the EU, was not immigration per se, but their concerns about uncontrolled immigration from the EU. I'm all for allowing immigration for those who are needed in sectors of our economy where we have labour or skill shortages, but that decision should be down to our elected government, not the EU. The imposition of freedom of movement of peoples imposed on us as a condition of single market membership was fine when the EU project comprised a much smaller number of member states with similar economies, but as with the Euro, the mass expansion of member states with poorer economies was always going to destabilise the Euro and cause immigration problems.

As control of immigration was as you say one of the dominant reasons for the leave vote and is not up for negotiation with the EU, they have forced us to decide that we have to leave the single market. The collapse of the Euro isn't far away either.

Like JB, I accept that there have been strong benefits from immigration. What bothered me and no doubt most of those who voted to leave the EU, was not immigration per se, but their concerns about uncontrolled immigration from the EU. I'm all for allowing immigration for those who are needed in sectors of our economy where we have labour or skill shortages, but that decision should be down to our elected government, not the EU. The imposition of freedom of movement of peoples imposed on us as a condition of single market membership was fine when the EU project comprised a much smaller number of member states with similar economies, but as with the Euro, the mass expansion of member states with poorer economies was always going to destabilise the Euro and cause immigration problems.

As control of immigration was as you say one of the dominant reasons for the leave vote and is not up for negotiation with the EU, they have forced us to decide that we have to leave the single market. The collapse of the Euro isn't far away either.

And let's not forget that the principle of free movement has nothing to do with standing up against racism and eradicating prejudice.

It is there to pave the way for a European superstate. The USA wouldn't work if the movement of people was restricted between states.

There is no free movement of africans, asians or anyone else who wants to come to the EU. So it's not some god given human right that is being established, because if it was, the EU wouldn't be controlling the immigration of non whites from overseas.

The list of organisations that have been accused in the past of 'institutional racism' is certainly a long and distinguished one - and while this question would certainly provide us with a potent 'heated debate' it is not a subject I feel that offers much promise of actually getting us very far at the end of the day. So I'll leave that one alone.

As for immigration - be it controlled or not - before the referendum I seem to recall we learnt that only about half of net immigration into the UK came from the EU. The rest (very obviously) arrived here from elsewhere in the world- if I'm incorrect about that then no doubt someone will soon inform me! Teresa May - back when she was Home Secretary - never seemed to be all that concerned about that non EU 'other half ' that she might have done something about frankly. But now, after her elevation to Number Ten, the overall immigration situation is suddenly a matter of such crucial importance to this nation that we must risk our economic prosperity upon it. I question not only that judgement but also her sincerity. I also observe that nobody of any significance on either side of the argument is claiming that immigration into the UK is about to come to a end somehow. So we have in effect exchanged our membership of the EU and its lucrative Single Market, for the possibility of some (unknown) reduction in the level of immigration post 2019. Some on here are undoubtedly satisfied with this outcome, others of course are very far from being satisfied.

My take on the immigration issue is that many - but not all - of the concerns raised about this matter during the referendum campaign were not unreasonable - we do indeed live on a small and crowed island. Nevertheless, I think it would have been in our overall national interest to have stayed within the EU and argued our case that reform of the crucial 'free movement of people' principle was required, rather than end up where we are now on the outside. It might well have taken a long time to achieve an agreement in this regard, but I believe we could have achieved significant reform of the policy eventually because we have a reasonable case - i.e. the expansion of the EU into the relatively poorer nations in eastern Europe has changed the situation dramatically since the Single Market was devised. Others doubtless will argue that the EU is beyond any meaningful reform and we had no real option but to leave.

What (alas) is not in any doubt is that we are collectively very unlikely to all agree about this great matter any time soon.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Maybe this sums up Brexit

'The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts'.

Bertrand Russell

Project Fear did its best to make the leavers have doubts about leaving, but the remainiacs were definitely full of certainty that leaving would be a disaster.

Edited by Wes Tender

Project Fear did its best to make the leavers have doubts about leaving, but the remainiacs were definitely full of certainty that leaving would be a disaster.

Remainers are not certain of about anything but they are doubtful that the UK will get a good trade deal with the US doubtful that foreign investment for jobs will continue and doubtful that inflation will be good for the UK they are also doubtful that leaving the EU is good for the environment workers rights UK citizens abroad UK Universities the fishing industry et all

Whereas fanatics like you are certain that the UK will get a good trade deal with the US despite knowing little about what is involved are certain that foreign investment for jobs will continue despite comments from business leaders to the contrary and dismiss concerns regarding inflation which probably will lead to interest rate rises and less money in peoples pockets so making the economy stall.

Most of the growth in the UK in recent months has been fueled on credit so it is doubtfull paying back debt is going to cost the same as it is now

Remainers are not certain of about anything but they are doubtful that the UK will get a good trade deal with the US doubtful that foreign investment for jobs will continue and doubtful that inflation will be good for the UK they are also doubtful that leaving the EU is good for the environment workers rights UK citizens abroad UK Universities the fishing industry et all

Whereas fanatics like you are certain that the UK will get a good trade deal with the US despite knowing little about what is involved are certain that foreign investment for jobs will continue despite comments from business leaders to the contrary and dismiss concerns regarding inflation which probably will lead to interest rate rises and less money in peoples pockets so making the economy stall.

Most of the growth in the UK in recent months has been fueled on credit so it is doubtfull paying back debt is going to cost the same as it is now

Remain were certain there was going to be a shock to the economy immediately following a vote to leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remain were certain there was going to be a shock to the economy immediately following a vote to leave

So did Leave.

Only the long-term will tell whose fundamental assessment of the economy was correct.

So did Leave.

Only the long-term will tell whose fundamental assessment of the economy was correct.

No they didn't .

Why do you need a long term assessment to see if someone saying " in the event of a leave vote there will be an immediate shock to the economy " is right or wrong . There is either an immediate shock or there isn't .

No they didn't .

Why do you need a long term assessment to see if someone saying " in the event of a leave vote there will be an immediate shock to the economy " is right or wrong . There is either an immediate shock or there isn't .

Many leading economists for leave conceded there would be an immediate negative shock e.g the infamous Nike swoosh. Where many differed from remain is that they believed that this would be followed by recovery and long-term net beneficial impact.

You misunderstand: people can be correct or incorrect in their short-term assessments; but short-term noise means f**k all in the grand scheme of things. Sorry if that doesn't suit your agenda pal.

Edited by shurlock

Australia eyes relaxed UK immigration under trade deal

The UK has been told it will have to relax its immigration rules for Australians if it wants a free trade deal with Canberra.

Alexander Downer, Australia's high commissioner to the UK, said the country would want better access for business people working in the UK before reaching a post-Brexit deal. He said it might be possible to strike a deal within eight months of Brexit. Preliminary moves over a possible agreement had been made, he added. UK Prime Minister Theresa May has already said she will begin talks to strike a trade deal with New Zealand in the coming months. Mr Downer told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Australia's access for businesses had often been a part of its free trade negotiations.

"It might just make it a bit simpler actually," he said. "For example, an Australian company that invests in the UK might want to bring some of its executives to the UK. "That can be done with what are called tier 2 visas, but maybe that could be made a little bit easier. "I suspect they would be the only sort of changes you'd be looking at."

The good news doesn't stop coming....

You misunderstand: people can be correct or incorrect in their short-term assessments; but short-term noise means f**k all in the grand scheme of things. Sorry if that doesn't suit your agenda pal.

It wasn't my agenda pal, it was Osborne Carney and other remaniacs that were obsessed with the "immediate" shock to the economy of a leave vote .

Got to have immigration if you want trade. Not quite what we were promised.

It's exactly what we were promised.The British Government are taking back control of immigration. If the British Government decide to relax immigration from certain countries, that's down to the British Government & Parliament to decide . They have control over the decision

It's exactly what we were promised.The British Government are taking back control of immigration. If the British Government decide to relax immigration from certain countries, that's down to the British Government & Parliament to decide . They have control over the decision

Hardly free movement, though, is it?

Got to have immigration if you want trade. Not quite what we were promised.

won't that be the choice of the british government....of that happens or not.

I would welcome free movement with certain nations. Of which we share a massive history with, have very similar culture, speak the same language and even share the same head of state.

The story so far:

Opening post:

Post EU - The Way Forward

A Washington based conservative think tank, the Heritage Foundation, published a paper on the best option for the UK, should we leave the EU, focusing on free trade deals. To me, this is the most important thing to get right. (" It's all about the economy, stupid"). In summary, the report states:

• The U.S. and the U.K. should negotiate a free trade area based on the principles of national sovereignty and economic freedom.
  • For both nations, the barrier to this goal is the European Union. Britain cannot negotiate unless it leaves the EU, while the U.S. has wrongly supported the EU over the sovereignty of its member nations.
  • The U.S. policy of using Britain as its Trojan Horse in the EU is wrong in principle and doomed to failure in practice.
  • The U.K. must ensure that its referendum on EU membership offers a real choice. There is no reason why the U.K., the world’s sixth-largest economy, cannot negotiate trade arrangements outside the EU.
  • The benefits of an Anglo–American free trade area would be both economic and political. It would insulate the U.K. from the damaging effects of further EU regulatory interference and signal the two countries’ shared political commitment to their close relationship

Daily Telegraph today:

21 JANUARY 2017 • 10:00PM

Donald Trump is planning a new deal for Britain this week as Theresa May becomes the first foreign leader to meet him since the inauguration. With hundreds of thousands of people across the world protesting his presidency, Mr Trump’s team was working with Number 10 to finalise plans for White House talks.

The historic trip comes as:

• A deal to reduce barriers between American and British banks through a new “passporting” system was being considered by Mr Trump’s team
  • A US-UK “working group” was being prepared to identify barriers to trade and scope out a future trade deal
  • A joint statement on defence was expected to demand EU countries spend 2 per cent of GDP on defence and promise collaboration in tackling Isil
  • The new relationship - which comes with both countries redefining their roles in the world - is due to be cemented with a state visit for Mr Trump in the summer.

Remainers should have carefully read the opening post, from the 27th June last year. It would have saved a lot of tears and worry.

makes me laugh did the bank of england not cut interest rates to 0.25 and pumping money t the national debt is to expected to peak at 90.2pc of GDP in 2017-18 and thats in the good times now .hate to think what happens on another down turn and if we don,t get these trade deals,.if we will get a deal with the usa but it will be on there terms not ours and i suspect alot of the nhs will be in there sites. we are off our rockers leaving our biggest market on our doorstop and our fantasy world gos on. prices are rising ,inflation coming back into the system and our wages are buying less thats the reality we are already poorer.. has someone who remembers the days when we not in the eus,we were one of the middle income countrys in the eu and had tariffs then to go with poor food and could not compete then.:D

Edited by solentstars

makes me laugh did the bank of england not cut interest rates to 0.25 and pumping money t the national debt is to expected to peak at 90.2pc of GDP in 2017-18 and thats in the good times now .hate to think what happens on another down turn and if we don,t get these trade deals,.if we will get a deal with the usa but it will be on there terms not ours and i suspect alot of the nhs will be in there sites. we are off our rockers leaving our biggest market on our doorstop and our fantasy world gos on. prices are rising ,inflation coming back into the system and our wages are buying less thats the reality we are already poorer.. has someone who remembers the days when we not in the eus,we were one of the middle income countrys in the eu and had tariffs then to go with poor food and could not compete then.:D

Edited!! FFS

Government loses appeal and Parliament have right to vote on Article 50.

Right decision whichever way you voted in the referendum. In practice it wont change anything because MPs will allow Article 50 to be triggered - but to not back the Sovereignty of Parliament would have set a worrying precedent.

The main winner from today's ruling is the reinforcement of parliament sovereignty and the rule of law in the UK.

Les, Baldrick, Trident and others will surely agree.

No doubt. As well read, informed and thoughtful people how could they not?

Edit: I see the Mail is taking it well. Measured as ever. Hurrah for the Blackshirts!!

"Yet again the elite show their contempt for Brexit voters! Supreme Court rules Theresa May CANNOT trigger Britain's departure from the EU without MPs' approval... as Remain campaigners gloat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4150822/Judges-ruling-PM-executive-powers-trigger-Brexit.html#ixzz4WflEMcRX

Edited by buctootim

The main winner from today's ruling is the reinforcement of parliament sovereignty and the rule of law in the UK.

Les, Baldrick, Trident and others will surely agree.

I for one have no problem with it, as you say, it sets a dangerous precedent if it went the other way.

If parliament doesn't respect the will of the people, however, then that's a different matter. I'll be opening cans of pedigree chum, as the dogs of war need to be fed before they are unleashed.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction