Strange loan for McCarthy

Give it to Ron

I thought he could progress here far quicker

McCarthy has already outgrown under 21 level football, that is why he went on loan to League 2 last season. He isn't going to be ahead of van Dijk, Fonte, Yoshida, Gardos this season, so half a season at least at a top League One team is better than his development reverting & regressing back to under 21 football.

McCarthy has already outgrown under 21 level football, that is why he went on loan to League 2 last season. He isn't going to be ahead of van Dijk, Fonte, Yoshida, Gardos this season, so half a season at least at a top League One team is better than his development reverting & regressing back to under 21 football.

Yes good points and coupled with your other post I see now - just the timing before manager came in - I thought maybe instead of Martina but you are right L1 is far better for him to move to.

• 1 month later...
Why strange? L2 last season, L1 this season...

Obviously they think he's a million miles away from being good enough to start for a top half prem team?

Also we have Fonte, VVD, Yoshida, Gardos, Stephens and Turnbull all ahead of him.

from what I've seen of Jason McCarthy from U21 games, he looks a good prospect, but (as mentioned above).... he's quite away down the pecking order.

However, looking at those names above ...how many do you think might still be with Saints, in say ....2-3 years time?

By then .....Jason could have 60-90 games and might come back as another squad member.

The main problem with this discussion is.... that in the wake of the Walcott, Bale, Ox and Shaw careers, a lot of people are beginning to think that if players don't make it by the time they're .....say 21/22.... then they're not upto it.

The truth is that the above named all found early success at a time when Saints were still playing Championship level......and now that we are in the Prem.top six - it's even harder for youngsters to get a look-in .....ahead of a benchful of internationals...... without some previous experience.

Interesting that when Pochettino brought in Harry Kane and Ryan Mason to the Spurs squad ....they had both had extensive loan-outs (since teenage) and Kane had been with four clubs. Mason had been out to six clubs and played nearly 100 League games.

Edited by david in sweden

Started for Walsall today as they won 3-1.

Did he play centre half? He is wearing the number 5 shirt, and seems to be in one of the centre half positions on the BBC Sport line-up, but I dont know the Walsall squad well enough to say for sure.

Interesting that when Pochettino brought in Harry Kane and Ryan Mason to the Spurs squad ....they had both had extensive loan-outs (since teenage) and Kane had been with four clubs. Mason had been out to six clubs and played nearly 100 League games.

Now, that is interesting. I always assumed that Harry Kane was a bit of a fluke for Spurs, but having such an extensive background at various clubs like Millwall and Leicester shows that he's had time to develop his play.

Food for thought when it comes to current Saints youth-team players, certainly.