Claude Puel's 1st day training tomorrow

Matthew Le God

He'll take a look at under 21 players over the coming weeks, but the 1st team squad as it stands today...

[b]
Goalkeepers
[/b]
Forster
Gazzaniga

[b]Right backs[/b]

Cedric Soares
Martina

[b]Left Backs[/b]

Bertrand
Targett

[b]Centre backs[/b]

van Dijk
Fonte
Gardos
Yoshida

[b]Central Midfielders

[/b]Clasie
Ward-Prowse
Davis
Romeu
Reed

[b]Attacking players

[/b]Pelle
Austin
Long
Rodriguez
Tadic
Redmond

That is 21 players. If we have no more outgoings to replace, at the very least we need to take it to 24 with...

- another keeper

- a Wanyama replacement

- a Mane replacement (assuming Redmond is to replace Juanmi in the squad)

As things currently stand, it could be something like...

Forster

Cedric         Fonte       van Dijk        Bertrand

Clasie      Romeu 

Redmond             Davis               Tadic

Long

7 Subs: Gazzaniga, Yoshida, Martina, Ward-Prowse, Rodriguez, Austin, Pelle

He'll take a look at under 21 players over the coming weeks, but the 1st team squad as it stands today...

[b]
Goalkeepers
[/b]
Forster
Gazzaniga

[b]Right backs[/b]

Cedric Soares
Martina

[b]Left Backs[/b]

Bertrand
Targett

[b]Centre backs[/b]

van Dijk
Fonte
Gardos
Yoshida

[b]Central Midfielders

[/b]Clasie
Ward-Prowse
Davis
Romeu
Reed

[b]Attacking players

[/b]Pelle
Austin
Long
Rodriguez
Tadic
Redmond

That is 21 players. If we have no more outgoings to replace, at the very least we need to take it to 24 with...

- another keeper

- a Wanyama replacement

Forster

Clasie      Romeu 

Redmond             Davis               Tadic

Long

Assuming we keep Pelle and J-rod is fit for a season we look pretty good on the attacking side. Midfield looks very light to me definitely need a player or two in there. First choice defence looks good, back up full backs ok but would like extra cover at CB rather than Gardos and Yoshida. Need another back up keeper but could see the club easily going with Gazza.

So for me a quality CDM, an AM (to give Davis some competition), another quality CB and a good back up keeper.

- another keeper

- a Wanyama replacement

Forster

Clasie      Romeu 

[b][b][color="#FF0000"][b]  Redmond             Davis               Tadic[/color][/b][/b][/b]

Long

Competition in those positions and a Wanyama replacement needed. Oh and of course a 2nd choice GK

Agree that we were sorely lacking a goalscoring threat from midfield last season. However, I don't doubt that Steven Davis is an important player and certainly good enough to play some sort of role.

The two individuals there that concern me are Cedric and Clasie. Have hope that under new management Cedric could improve and go on to be good, but not sure the same could be said of Clasie.

From what i've heard Puel likes to play either a 3-5-2 (with the attacking wing backs) or 4-1-2-1-2. So we'll be playing two up top whatever. Im excited to see us play with two up top.

Last year he played 2 up top but throughout his management career he has played many different formations.

From what i've heard Puel likes to play either a 3-5-2 (with the attacking wing backs) or 4-1-2-1-2. So we'll be playing two up top whatever. Im excited to see us play with two up top.

Neither of those formations will suit Tadic or Redmond, I'll be sorry to see Dusan surplus to requirements, and would be strange to sign Redmond only to have him sitting on the bench every week.

Also, wasn't one of the pre-requisites for the job that they play a 4-3-3 in accordance with the tactics played throughout the club? Not saying you're wrong on what you've heard, in fact I have heard similar, but my guess would be that Puel will use 4-3-3 and change to the other formations as and when appropriate.

Agree that we were sorely lacking a goalscoring threat from midfield last season.

It wasn't just last season. When have we scored goals from midfield? Lallana got 9 in his last season with us and was a threat to boot. Gaston got 6 the season before but wasn't really a threat in the same way.

It wasn't just last season. When have we scored goals from midfield? Lallana got 9 in his last season with us and was a threat to boot. Gaston got 6 the season before but wasn't really a threat in the same way.

Agreed - I was thinking about last season when I wrote it, but as you say, it has been a problem area for a while.

Gaston replacement?

He hasn't been in the squad for a couple of years now. His replacement was basically Mané. Assuming we bring in someone else to replace Sadio, I don't think we'll be bring in a third attacking midfielder, now we have Redmond.

I think we'll replace Mané, Victor and Stek/Kelvin and that'll be us for the summer.

Will we replace Victor? With Clasie, JWP, Harry, Romeu and Stevie D I just don't think that is where we need to strengthen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do need to strengthen there, other than Romeu who is hit and miss we have no physical presence.

Definitely need a second aggressive defensive midfielder for when Romeu is suspended or injured .

A better RB to replace Cedric or if not a better CB to replace Fonte as he is not the player he used to be .

With Jrod and Austin both being injury prone we really need a dangerous striker plus another to upgrade on Pelle .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I think we'll replace Mané, Victor and Stek/Kelvin and that'll be us for the summer.

That'll be a disappointment IMO, we can't just stand still so we need replacements for those players AND improvement in other areas.

I doubt much improvement in any of our current players, though the likes of Cedric & Clasie may improve as they won't be new to the league anymore and hopefully JWP and Targett will kick on a bit but aside that we don't have any youngsters that will suddenly burst onto the scene and most of the other players are probably as good as they are going to be.

There are of course question marks around Jay Rod and to a lesser extent Austin, fully fit and back on form those two could be massive but it's a big IF, especially for Jay Rod.

Every other Prem club is awash with cash and will probably improve, with their new managers it's almost certain that Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea will improve a lot.

Biggest improvement are for me would a no.10 as other have mentioned, someone to score us some worldys, turn a drab game around etc. If we had a Payet, Mahrez or Coutinho last year we'd be currently in the Champions League.

I'd also worry about our centre back cover as well. I'd be looking for someone that could challenge Fonte's spot.

Plus maybe a better right back or more quality there and there are question marks about our Strikers, though I think a fully fit season from Austin could easily be a 20 goals man and considering that guy is on the bench for Belgium and scored 17 goals for nice is going for nearly £40 million it might be an optimistic area.

I'd hope if the rumours about them being available we'd look at Ox-Chamberlain, Morgan and Chambers, plus I quite like the potential interest in Behrahino, also depending on price and wages maybe look at Benteke.

His performances this last season have been worse than in previous seasons . As his pace is slowing he has more of a tendency to pull back players who move past him or make last ditch tackles .

That suggests bad coaching or lack of confidence though. I liked him when he first signed for us and he's done well for Portugal. The problem is more likely within the club instead of the player not having the ability.

Well it would still I think be a good idea to get another quality centre-back in to challenge both VVD and Fonte. With decent cup runs and if we get through to the Europa knock out stages we could be looking at 50+ plus games next season.

Not sure Gardos or Yoshida can be relied on for any length of time.

That suggests bad coaching or lack of confidence though. I liked him when he first signed for us and he's done well for Portugal. The problem is more likely within the club instead of the player not having the ability.

That is possible . I tended to think it was more related to his age . Would be good if the new coach can inspire his performances of old though .

His age is still against him

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

That is possible . I tended to think it was more related to his age . Would be good if the new coach can inspire his performances of old though .

His age is still against him

My mistake, I thought you were talking about Cedric. Yes agree about Fonte, age is starting to show a bit.

I think I've seen Clasie but not no VvD. Where is he? :suspicious:

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Maybe they didn't have any training tops in his size .... or maybe doing photo shoots for the New Kit?

Played with Holland in friendlies so gets extra time off.

Really hoping Austin has a strong pre-season, stays injury free and starts off the season bang in form. Would be a great addition to the squad then - we carried him along last season after that superb debut

TBF towards the end of the season he was fit again but by that time Long, Pelle and Mane were on form and he couldn't back in the side.

He still scored more than any of our attackers in a **** QPR team the season before if he is fit and gets regular game time I'd back him to get 15 goals next season.

It will be interesting to see who CP will put his faith in for the starting places and any youngsters he will encourage to be part of the first team selection. It maybe the case he sees something in a player to give him a chance. That may dictate any purchases the club will make.

What is guaranteed is there will be some unhappy people!

Well it would still I think be a good idea to get another quality centre-back in to challenge both VVD and Fonte. With decent cup runs and if we get through to the Europa knock out stages we could be looking at 50+ plus games next season.

Not sure Gardos or Yoshida can be relied on for any length of time.

That's why they're back up. If they were good enough to be first team players for us, they wouldn't be content being sat on the bench. People say stuff like 'imagine if we still had Fonte, VvD, Lovren and Toby'... Well we wouldn't, two of those players are never going to be happy sitting on our bench and they'd leave. Yoshi and Gardos are pretty much our level for 3/4th choice CB.

No offence but your other list looks a bit Championship manager. If you think we're going to be investing big in 7 or 8 players you will be disappointed. We've got Austin, Long, J Rod, Pelle, Tadic, Redmond, Davis and JWP fighting over 4 attacking slots. Add a replacement for Mané and 9 into 4 is already pushing it.