We're back in the JPT!

Bad Wolf

Well sort of...

Couldn't see it anywhere else. It does just say that our academy (along with a load of others) has been invited, so I guess we could turn it down. I dunno if I really like the idea though as a whole, kinda robs lower league clubs of the chance to win something. Having said that, I'm all up for recreating that special day of six years ago!

I wonder if it'll be purely academy players or if we'll be allowed to include a certain amount of overage players like we do in the U-21 League. Time will tell I suppose...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36725310

I'm quite looking forward to it in a way. Being nostalgic for our league one days I look forward to watching some poor quality football in front of a sparse crowd.

Can see us having Plymouth away on a Tuesday night, that will be one for the collection and separate the loyal fans from the fairweather.

That said I am in agreement with Jackanory, the idea is doomed to failure and an insult to the club's in the two lowest divisions. We need to move away from the idea of clubs stock piling talent and make the u21 league better standard rather than messing with the league system. I'd hate to have B teams integrated into the league like they have in Germany.

Another one of those wishy-washy ideas, entirely not thought through and totally in complete hope that somehow, by doing this, we'll suddenly spring a dozen Ozil's, Draxler's and Gotze's.

Our football needs a serious f()cking overhaul.

Another one of those wishy-washy ideas, entirely not thought through and totally in complete hope that somehow, by doing this, we'll suddenly spring a dozen Ozil's, Draxler's and Gotze's.

Our football needs a serious f()cking overhaul.

Yep but the FA do exactly that. When you look at Germany and how many qualified coaches they have at grass roots compared to us it's quite bleeding obvious why they are where they are.

Yep but the FA do exactly that. When you look at Germany and how many qualified coaches they have at grass roots compared to us it's quite bleeding obvious why they are where they are.

Yep, one of the many reasons we are in a mess. Thing is, they don't ever go to the root of the problem, just bring in ridiculous half baked ideas and hope it works. We've been massively outnumbered for coaches for years... That should tell them something.

Having been there, seen it, done it, and won it, we of all clubs should respect the fact that this competition is designed for lower league clubs to have their day in the sun. Awful idea - it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

If I'm reading the rules correctly then 5 first team players must make up part of the squad, and there are going to be 3 group games before the knockout stages. Therefore we've got at least 3 EFL trophy games and 6 Europa League games on top of the domestic league and League Cup matches, here's hoping we sign some major reinforcements this summer.

As much as I enjoyed the trip to Wembley I'm firmly in the keep it for the lower leagues camp, can't bear the idea of B teams in this country.

If I'm reading the rules correctly then 5 first team players must make up part of the squad, and there are going to be 3 group games before the knockout stages. Therefore we've got at least 3 EFL trophy games and 6 Europa League games on top of the domestic league and League Cup matches, here's hoping we sign some major reinforcements this summer.

As much as I enjoyed the trip to Wembley I'm firmly in the keep it for the lower leagues camp, can't bear the idea of B teams in this country.

I think it should be read that as a league 1 or 2 club you must play at least 5 first team players in the games. We are classed as an invited club and must play a minimum of 6 under 21 players.

I was totally anti this but then I read this piece from the Southend United Chairman (it was linked in the last thread on this topic) and while it didn't completely change my mind it did make me realise that maybe it wasn't such a terrible thing after all.

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/efl-trophy-changes-3141983.aspx

I still think the biggest problem with our football pyramid is too many professional clubs most of which seem to live beyond there means but I'm not sure how you fix that situation!

Everton have confirmed their appearance. Probably so they can add "first academy to register for Football League Trophy" to their list of incredible achievements.

Ha ha - that made me laugh out loud :)

I think we should enter it, beat the Pompey Scum, and then throw the next round

Ha ha - that made me laugh out loud :)

I think we should enter it, beat the Pompey Scum, and then throw the next round

You'd think with the regional groups we would be guaranteed to play them in that phase but I'm not so sure our academy would win and if we pack the side with first team players it kind of negates the point of having the u21's in it in the first place!

I read in the paper this morning that Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd are expected to decline the invitation to join the competition. I find it incredible that the football league announced details before checking who will actually compete in the competition, and with the first game due to take place next month they haven't left much time to resolve an inbalance of numbers. What a shambles.

Everton and Stoke have confirmed they'll enter, I've not seen any comment from Saints on this yet.

Still hope that we will say no to this stupid idea. If any club has enough self awareness to show solidarity with lower league clubs it really should be us. Really don't think there is an argument we need it for youth player development anyway, our Academy produces players pretty well already thanks.

Saying no is probably the death of the Trophy it has no sponsor and the clubs don't want to be in it unless they win it as it costs them money they simply don't have.

Having the Stoke U21 team in it isn't going to make that cup money either.

If the bottom two division clubs don't want to be in it, then can it.

of course both sides of this discussion have a point,

but I recall going back about 10 years (?)..that Arsene Wenger used to play his Academy side in the League Cup....not sure if they won it one season (?) but did quite well.....

.....certainly a good chance for Academy lads to get some real game time and not just the " Disneyland football " in the U21 League.

L1 /L2 clubs have a selection of hardened veterans who would make good competiton for the lads, rather than sitting them on someone's bench on a season long trial.

You're guaranteeing lower league teams that are always gagging for a decent FA cup 3rd round tie a visit of a top team, albeit only a few proper first team players.

Surely this is to raise interest and attendances and therefore revenue for them more than us.

I think its only fair to the lower league teams that we do our bit and field a team.

I 'd go with a "no" if we had a vote, can see the benefit for the younger lads but we could do without having to field 5 'first-teamers' with Europe on our plate. Make it free for season ticket holders if we must to at least attract some kind of crowd.

I can't see them doing that as they sold the idea to the lower league clubs as a chance to raise income through shared gate receipts etc. I've not read anything about TV coverage but would imagine that they were hoping for sky to sign up if the comp included the big 6, again would boost the income.

Having the Stoke U21 team in it isn't going to make that cup money either.

If the bottom two division clubs don't want to be in it, then can it.

It will as the premier league are throwing in cash read the Southend link I posted then you'll get it!

I 'd go with a "no" if we had a vote, can see the benefit for the younger lads but we could do without having to field 5 'first-teamers' with Europe on our plate. Make it free for season ticket holders if we must to at least attract some kind of crowd.

The "5 first team players" selection rule only applies to the EFL teams.

The selection rule for invited clubs is that six of the starting eleven must be Under 21.

I can't see them doing that as they sold the idea to the lower league clubs as a chance to raise income through shared gate receipts etc. I've not read anything about TV coverage but would imagine that they were hoping for sky to sign up if the comp included the big 6, again would boost the income.

Yeah, you're right, of course. Can't see our home gates being a big income raiser for them though, how many will be willing to pay enough to make it work?

The "5 first team players" selection rule only applies to the EFL teams.

The selection rule for invited clubs is that six of the starting eleven must be Under 21.

OK, I'm only gleaning a bit of info from this thread, don't think this competition is gonna grip too many fans attention!

Yeah, you're right, of course. Can't see our home gates being a big income raiser for them though, how many will be willing to pay enough to make it work?

OK, I'm only gleaning a bit of info from this thread, don't think this competition is gonna grip too many fans attention!

It's all there is the link I posted to the Southend chairmanship comments we will receive little/nothing from gate receipts and prize money this will all go into a pot to be divided amongst the league sides and they have been guaranteed 10k prize money for each group game rising once you get out of the group.

I'm not convinced it's a great idea but it is probably one final roll of the five before the football league trophy goes the way of the cup winners cup!

In principle I think the League Trophy should be just for Div 3 and 4 sides, and I can't imagine most of the lower league sides care much about it (having been to Crawley v Newport in 2014 and had my family and friends constitute 10% of the away following that night), but the teams getting to Wembley always love it - so the secret to liking it is of course "be good in it".

However... I think it'll be good for the Saints Dev side to have some competitive games at a reasonable level without compromising our efforts at the Europa League, League Cup or FA Cup, and I think it's also a good chance for the lower league sides to get a chance to see where they are in relation to top sides' kids - in the longer term it might help a bit with scouting for lower league sides AND academies, seeing the not-going-to-make-its in a competitive environment. Of course the end of the emergency loan system weakens the short-term benefits significantly to lower league sides.

Though I think it'll be funny if we draw Portsmouth, which there must be a decent chance of with a regionalised group stage and likely seeding of the entered U21 teams.