Confirmed - Pierre Højbjerg Signs

Saint Garrett

Hopefully it will be done so he can be on the trip to Baltimore tomorrow.

Certainly seems a good prospect.

Wonder if he is seen as the Wanyama replacement, or just a good addition as apparently is more of a technical player rather than physical, although at 6'1 he adds some height we lack in that area.

The agent of Pierre-Emile Højbjerg has now confirmed that he's moving to Southampton FC. Great move for him, finally.

Højbjerg finally gets a club where there's high hopes of a lot of playing time. Had a tough time in both Bayern Munich and Schalke.

15 euros = 12.8m atm seems all our 'bigger' signings are this around this price.

Oh goody, a £10 million profit from Liverpool/Manchester United/Spurs/Arsenal/Everton in 2 years time then!

Probably. It is our model though.

Shop window conveyor belt...or perhaps we should call it 'The Generation Game Model'?

Not a bad thing to become the preferred club for Europes younger talent. Come to Saints, develop, get games, play in Europe, finish top 6/7, move to a 'traditional' top CL club after 2 or 3 years.

The agent of Pierre-Emile Højbjerg has now confirmed that he's moving to Southampton FC. Great move for him, finally.

Højbjerg finally gets a club where there's high hopes of a lot of playing time. Had a tough time in both Bayern Munich and Schalke.

15 euros = 12.8m atm seems all our 'bigger' signings are this around this price.

Blimey, that exchange rate has gone up....€15 = £12.8M [emoji15]

Excellent news, but is he good enough to drop straight into the first team, or one for the future? Guess he needs to be better than Classe or Romeu to get a start, or maybe just needs to wait till the first red card! Either way, sounds like someone we can develop and then sell on just after the kids have managed to spell his name correctly to go on their replica shirts, for a large profit!

Does look a good signing.

Raises the question of the midfield shape for next season.....the 2 DM positions:

Romeu

Claise

Reed

JWP

Højbjerg

Healthy competiton or overstocked? Is there still a Big Vic shaped hole to fill?

YES !......isn't it comforting to think we don't have to pay out £30 million plus in order to get good players.

Excellent news, but is he good enough to drop straight into the first team, or one for the future? Guess he needs to be better than Classe or Romeu to get a start, or maybe just needs to wait till the first red card! Either way, sounds like someone we can develop and then sell on just after the kids have managed to spell his name correctly to go on their replica shirts, for a large profit!

He played 23 times for Shalke last season who finished 5th and has already played 15 times for Denmark.....one for NOW!! Sounds exciting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Højbjerg is a very good player. Very technical player, rarely gives the ball away and he's got a pass on him (although he mostly likes to keep it short). He would also tackle a brick wall. You have to admire how Saints pull this stuff off time and time again.

Our midfield last year was brilliant defensively but lacked someone in the Morgan role who could get forward and play that final pass, while Wanyama/Romeu/Clasie were not useless going forward sometimes in games we were dominating we missed having someone sitting deeper who could really open teams up, sometimes even leading VVD having to be the one that attempted it. I'm no German football expert but this guy does seem to be more in the mold of Morgan who can be a bit more of an attacking threat while still keeping the holding midfield a strong defensive unit.

He played 23 times for Shalke last season who finished 5th and has already played 15 times for Denmark.....one for NOW!! Sounds exciting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some clear, great potential there. He hasn't played that much competitive football, but what he has played has been at the very top level.

Højbjerg is a very good player. Very technical player, rarely gives the ball away and he's got a pass on him (although he mostly likes to keep it short). He would also tackle a brick wall. You have to admire how Saints pull this stuff off time and time again.

Indeed. A similar quality of player to replace Mane and I'll be happy.

Does look a good signing.

Raises the question of the midfield shape for next season.....the 2 DM positions:

Romeu

Claise

Reed

JWP

Højbjerg

Healthy competiton or overstocked? Is there still a Big Vic shaped hole to fill?

There is also the question of balance.

For me without a player of Wanyama's physicality we will probably struggle to get away with playing combinations of two of Reed, Clasie or JWP just in terms of size.

So will be a case of mixing and matching the best combinations. There is also Davis to add into the mix and he is short in stature too.

When you factor in the other likely starters (Cedric, Bertrand, Redmond, Tadic, Long) we could easily be left with virtually no height aside from the two CBs which would make us very vunerable from set plays. So the Manager would need to look at that and Romeu and this guy would be key, at least one will need to start the majority of games.

Edited by Slugger

I don't yet know what the German research team have done with him for FM17, but in FM16 he had a potential ability significantly above any other Saints player.

Youtube "highlight" videos can be derided, the ones that show every touch in one match give a better idea. Here he is as an 18 year old playing out of position wide on the right for Pep's Bayern in the German Cup final vs Dortmund...

His range of passing is a lot more impressive than Wanyama's.

I don't yet know what the German research team have done with him for FM17, but in FM16 he had a potential ability significantly above any other Saints player.

Youtube "highlight" videos can be derided, the ones that show every touch in one match give a better idea. Here he is as an 18 year old playing out of position wide on the right for Pep's Bayern in the German Cup final vs Dortmund...

His range of passing is a lot more impressive than Wanyama's.

My dog has a better range of passing than Wanyama!

If he signs?

Will it be better for him to be sh it so the Reed/club bashers can say "we are hopeless at transfers"

Or

Will it be better for him to be fantastic so the Reed\club bashers can say " why can't we keep these players" when he is sold for big money

#neverhappy

I'm liking this more and more. Saints appear to have done it again, so well done the black box. Must have had this lined up for a while, hence the easy release on Victor, okay we've known for a year, and the bluff of no replacement planned. Great.

Also, from the comments above, sounds as though this man can pass, which Victor always struggled with that side of his game. Might also mean fewer cards, so less hanging on in case of another reckless tackle.

Maybe we let Big Sam have Harry Reed for next season on loan, to develop him, rather than Matty Targett!

geez, i am going to have to take Lana del Rey more seriously now too. good every-touch video, particularly given the big occasion.

Wonder if we had to give Bayern a buyback clause? I wouldn't be surprised -- very "continental." I would not mind handing out buybacks to the like of Bayern / Barca / Real.

Hopefully a straight-into-the-team talent and bad news for Oriol, more than anyone else.

okaay so if he is so good or one for the future, why are Bayern selling him? My only query, as he looks excellent.

He's good, but not Bayern every week starting 11 good. Needs to go to a club like ourselves to develop before moving onto the big club stage, which is a very wise move.

okaay so if he is so good or one for the future, why are Bayern selling him? My only query, as he looks excellent.

Presumably a similar reason as to why Ox-Chamberlain might leave Arsenal, he wants more game time and they are massively over subscribed in those positions.

They have Vidal, Thiago, Martinez, Xabi Alonso, Kimmich and now Renato Sanches as centre mids.

Exactly the sort of players we should be targeting, young high rated players struggling for game time at massive clubs who hoover up too much talent. Play on our reputation for developing players, keep them for as long as we can, and then if a big club turns their head make some profit.

Would reckon Bayern have a sell on clause in there.

Plus the amount of money swelling the premier league it wouldn't surprise me if we'll be offering him more money than he makes now at Bayern.

He's good, but not Bayern every week starting 11 good. Needs to go to a club like ourselves to develop before moving onto the big club stage, which is a very wise move.

He also struggled to establish himself at Schalke where he was on loan last season. Only started 13 games.

He also struggled to establish himself at Schalke where he was on loan last season. Only started 13 games.

Although Schalke have two very good talented cm/cdm's in Goretzka and Geis who would get into the team before him.