Confirmed - Pierre Højbjerg Signs

Saint Garrett

Excellent interview, what a very switched on guy.

He actually looks quite filled out for a 20 year old? Just checked, he's heavier than Wanyama, so I don't think he's going to be some light-weight fairy on the pitch.

Very impressed with his interview and hopefully will be a good signing

Some suggestion that he lacks pace but can't have it all for £12m I suppose

Højbjerg was allowed by Bayern to represent Denmark at the Summer Olympics in Rio. However, today the squad was revealed and Højbjerg was not included. Saints must have prevented him from going. Viktor Fischer from Boro is another player who was originally cleared to go but has now been left out of the squad since his transfer.

Letting Højbjerg go to Rio would have sent a signal that he is not an important player right now, so I fully applaud that he is not leaving (regardless of how that choice was made)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Should be ahead of clasie and so should prowsey for that matter

I've seen nothing from JWP to suggest he should be ahead of clasie.

Clasie is a good fit for when we expect to be attacked more as he complements Romeu defenisvely in his shuttler role rather than the attack the other shuttler does.

Premier league games he's played the full 90 in just 3 games (from 10)

I don't think not playing the "full 90" should be a concern when you play a position that is commonly replaced and we have several ready made replacements.

If we're in need of a goal, then sacrificing one of the two 'middle' midfielders for a more attacking minded one would make sense. Equally, if we're winning then replacing them with fresh legs also makes sense.

Hard to see how Puel could prefer Clasie, although recently Hojbjerg hasn't put in the level of performances he did at the start of the season.

Have people totally forgot we have awful lot of games. PEH has featured heavily, was involved on Sunday and will most likely start on Thursday. Hes young and cant be starting every game.

Also think the criticism against Clasie is a bit unfair. He was poor yesterday but been doing pretty OK before that. I still have big hopes i will turn out to be a good player for us.

Hojberg is such a frustrating player - does some really stupid stuff and some absolute magic.

If he can iron out some of his bad decisions he could be an absolute beast in the midfield for us.

Think he probably has the most potential in the squad - Boufal maybe has more but I haven't seen enough of him yet.

Thought he was excellent in parts last night, and in parts woeful. Think he was trying to overdo the possession game last night once we were ahead, although you could understand why he was trying to play keep ball.

He's only young, he'll learn with games. Still in our best 3 midfielders IMO.

The funny thing is, at the start of the season the impressive thing about Hojbjerg was that he never gave the ball away. Yesterday he probably gave it to an Inter player more than he did to his own team!

Having seen some of his excellent performances I'm hopeful and confident that he will rediscover some good form. Plus he still has time on his side to develop his game. There are one or two others in the squad I've never really seen that kind of performance from and hence less sure of them ever being good enough.

Agreed. Those bleating about his performances now will be the same ones bleating about us selling him to City for top dollar in a couple of years' time. No satisfying some people on here.

Sorry for the edit I'm getting my JWP and PEH threads mixed up.

Big fan of PEH but he was all over the show in the first half. Really struggled. Came into it in the second half and drive forwards well.

Edited by Greenridge

He grew into the match last night, after an incredible period wherby he gave the ball away on every occasion! I think he can do the 'sitting' role...but I think he's best position is as a more advanced midfielder, breaking the line and running with the ball. That's seemingly where he's best placed.

He's still very young, but comes across as being much older. All the tools are there, just some bits to iron out which we will.

The rotation point is why Yoshida deserves so much praise this season. Every time we've asked him to step-in he's done admirably. Yoshi is a superb squad player for us to have.

Absolutely. Can't underestimate the value of a centre half who can slot in without a regular partner