Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Good stuff. Always seemed a level headed chap (apart from getting sent off against Swansea having lost his head) and has learned the hard way that a football career's a lot more fun when you play every week.

Future captain?

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Just shows they keep them where possible. I've no doubt Wanyama and Mane were offered good deals, but left. So be it.

We're moving forward and progressing in the most stable, sensible way possible. I really think several clubs are going to waste huge sums of money this summer and still struggle. We may have our difficult patches but outside the obvious top 4/5 clubs I think Saints have the best future over the next five years or so.

BIB And that probably says more about Wanyama and mane than it does about Saints.

Great news extending Bertrand, seems like we are ticking them off one at a time in order of priority. Long then Tadic next. Would love to see Fonte rewarded with security of a long contract but maybe he's getting on a bit now, no room fo sentiment in this game

A delighted Ryan Bertrand explained that Southampton's ambition was an important factor in his decision to sign a new five-year contract at the club.

Bertrand today put pen to paper on a new deal that takes him through until 2021, joining a growing list of key players to have committed their long-term futures to St Mary's.

Speaking to Southampton's official YouTube channel, the 26-year-old, who arrived from Chelsea in 2014, said the club's forward-thinking approach and desire to progress was one of the reasons he wanted to sign a new deal.

"I'm very pleased," he said. "It's been a fantastic move for me since the day I came to this club and I look forward to many more successful years and really pushing forward.

"I've enjoyed my football here. I've really enjoyed the club, and the fans have been fantastic with me personally as well, so I couldn't think of any better place to play football and to keep on developing.

"The club is always thinking forward and I really want to be a part of that, and I am sure we can go on to achieve even better things."

Bertrand explained that seeing Virgil van Dijk, Fraser Forster, James Ward-Prowse and Steven Davis also sign new long-term deals in recent weeks and months had given him further encouragement for the years ahead.

"It was massive," he said. "To see all the boys sit down and commit, I knew I wanted to do it from the start too, and thankfully we've got it done.

"It's such a good moment, but I'm looking forward to just getting on with the football now and when we come back for pre-season really going again."

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160712-ryan-bertrand-southampton-contract-ambition-3181460.aspx#pqc4idv5f4CVOT37.99

Not sure he actually mentions ambition here, but a good sign all the same.

Only a few weeks ago we were persuading players to sign 6 year contract extensions, now we can only manage 5. Shows what a step backwards the club has taken.....Les out!

OK melt over! Fantastic news, one of my favourite players of the last 2 years. I think it's entirely right that we prioritise spending a decent amount of our incoming transfer and TV money rewarding the players for the job they have done, and keeping a happy and committed team into the bargain.

Koeman sold out - plus many were never convinced by him (rightly or wrongly)

Mane was always going (Liverpool overpaid IMO)

Vic was always going (the club did well to get another year out of him)

made a PROFIT on a 31 year old striker

Seem to have brought in two decent prospects (although I admit to having little knowledge of the Dane) and have tied down some big players to long contracts... I really feel optimistic about our dealings this summer

Really great news...a sign that the ship is not unstable...it's just rid itself of a few rats. Les Reed is a complete waste of space of course...is clueless...etc.

What's left to do? I think we just need a flexible left/right sided attacking winger type similar to Mane. If available, would love to bring Theo home.

Ryan is a very shrewd guy, given his almost last chance at Saints he has grabbed it with both hands, improved himself beyond measure, become a regular first pick on the team sheet and forced his way into the England squad. No way was he going to rock his little boat in the choppy waters of Saints close season squall. Some players never learn when they are well off, they think it is all about money. Ryan clearly is not one of those at all. Good luck to him, I'm chuffed as bunny.

I'm a little worried about Cedric. I noticed the Echo reported that Puell's 'priority' was a right back. Why? Without wishing to state the obvious, we have, by definition, one of the best right backs in Europe and a pretty decent back-up in Martina, so I'm a little puzzled by this and I really hope we are not expecting to lose Cedric.

Not sure he actually mentions ambition here, but a good sign all the same.

"I'm very pleased," he said. "It's been a fantastic move for me since the day I came to this club and I look forward to many more successful years and really pushing forward.

"I've enjoyed my football here. I've really enjoyed the club, and the fans have been fantastic with me personally as well, so I couldn't think of any better place to play football and to keep on developing.

"The club is always thinking forward and I really want to be a part of that, and I am sure we can go on to achieve even better things."

How is that not talking about ambition?

Or is the actual specific word "ambition" really that important to you?

Oh my god.

The club don't know what they're doing

Les reed is clueless

We're going to get relegated

No ambition

Sell all our good players

Did I miss anything?

Something about Skacel maybe?

Delighted at this news! One of our best and most consistent players since returning to the PL. Brilliant, brilliant news!

Ryan is a very shrewd guy, given his almost last chance at Saints he has grabbed it with both hands, improved himself beyond measure, become a regular first pick on the team sheet and forced his way into the England squad. No way was he going to rock his little boat in the choppy waters of Saints close season squall. Some players never learn when they are well off, they think it is all about money. Ryan clearly is not one of those at all. Good luck to him, I'm chuffed as bunny.

Exactly, the grass in not always greener on the other side! Great signing and a great sign of intent by our board.

We had four guaranteed starters last season: Forster, Fonte, Virgil and Bertrand. Three of those have signed new, long contracts and one has just won the Euros. This is good!

Just need one more quality forward and a GK and we're looking strong. Any more than that is a bonus really.

Whilst it is great news , do contracts actually really mean anything anymore except for a large wedge for the selling club?

Apart from confirming a players commitment, stopping silly rumors in the lead up to his contract expiry and putting the club in the strongest position. I'd say they mean a fair bit.

He's still got 2 years.

To paraphrase and get the gist if not the actual words from a movie ( Saturday Night Fever i think the movie and the quote was Jt's dad decrying his son's small wage rise saying it was worth less than the pay rise itself something like 3 bits is not worth 2 bits nowadays or something like that) : Two years is not worth one years nowadays. By the time you are into month 23 to go you are wondering about the future, wondering about what you are going to do as you enter the last 12 months of your contract in which you are able to become a free agent, wondering whats the best way to secure your job your salary your future for you and family, wondering wondering wondering...when you are supposed to be concentrating on being the team captain, on stopping the CF from scoring, on keeping clean sheets, on developing your newbie payers into the southampton family....

IF Jose Fonte has only got two years left then because of what i've said above, and lets be honest also because of the great honor he has brought our club being team captain and European Champion (how much more credibility does our team have now to potential recruits because of that?)he should be given a one year extension minimum with a raise immediately.

Apart from confirming a players commitment, stopping silly rumors in the lead up to his contract expiry and putting the club in the strongest position. I'd say they mean a fair bit.

Exactly it shows the player wants to be here and it shows contrary to what some seem to think that the club do try to persuade senior players to stay and not just sell them off at the first sniff of a bid. It also puts his value up significantly in the transfer window so if Liverpool do really want him they will have to dig very deep indeed!

To paraphrase and get the gist if not the actual words from a movie ( Saturday Night Fever i think the movie and the quote was Jt's dad decrying his son's small wage rise saying it was worth less than the pay rise itself something like 3 bits is not worth 2 bits nowadays or something like that) : Two years is not worth one years nowadays. By the time you are into month 23 to go you are wondering about the future, wondering about what you are going to do as you enter the last 12 months of your contract in which you are able to become a free agent, wondering whats the best way to secure your job your salary your future for you and family, wondering wondering wondering...when you are supposed to be concentrating on being the team captain, on stopping the CF from scoring, on keeping clean sheets, on developing your newbie payers into the southampton family....

IF Jose Fonte has only got two years left then because of what i've said above, and lets be honest also because of the great honor he has brought our club being team captain and European Champion (how much more credibility does our team have now to potential recruits because of that?)he should be given a one year extension minimum with a raise immediately.

He's already on a pretty decent wage and will be 34 when his contract runs out, that's getting pretty old by Premier League standards and I'd hope we have a replacement by them.

You got to be joking about him worrying for his families security. He takes home more money each week than most of us would in a year, the bloke is a multi millionaire. I think we should let him see out his last 2 years, give him a testimonial at the end and say thank you for your service.

In two years time we will be 34 how many more big contracts do you think he will get? at the most the club will offer him one more year after that. I Imagine he is already planning forretirement and his new role as International Player Liaison Executive (or something) at the club.

• 2 weeks later...