Luke Shaw - Class Act

washsaint

Not strictly Saints related but came across a letter that Luke Shaw wrote to a set of new parents who tragically lost another kid a while back

.He is a class act and Saints did a great job in helping raise him the right way.

Yet another example that Saints don't just coach youngsters to be good players but ensure they are good human beings too.

Bloody lot of cynics and miserable Bu&&ers. Why not look at this in a positive light, instead of your usual glass half empty fashion.

Because it's painfully obvious that Shaw did nothing but sign this. To be fair though, that was probably quite a major achievement for him.

Jeez....what a miserable, cynical bunch on here.

Luke has always come across well and seems a decent young guy. So what if it is on Man U letterhead?

I'd hate to be as cynical as some of you - bet you're a blast to be around!

Jeez....what a miserable, cynical bunch on here.

Luke has always come across well and seems a decent young guy. So what if it is on Man U letterhead?

I'd hate to be as cynical as some of you - bet you're a blast to be around!

I'm sure he's a fine young man. That's not the issue here. That letter simply doesn't look any more than something knocked up by the person whose full time job it is to perform that sort of task. It's not much more than a form letter, that's all. Right down to the little bit at the bottom about Man U.

I'm not knocking Luke, simply not being taken in by it as being his heart felt feelings. It's really not a biggy.

I'm sure he's a fine young man. That's not the issue here. That letter simply doesn't look any more than something knocked up by the person whose full time job it is to perform that sort of task. It's not much more than a form letter, that's all. Right down to the little bit at the bottom about Man U.

I'm not knocking Luke, simply not being taken in by it as being his heart felt feelings. It's really not a biggy.

That doesn't read like a "form letter" at all, unless you're stupid enough to really believe that Manchester United Football Club have a template for "letter for parents who suffered a terrible loss and then subsequently had another child".

(Most of) This thread is pathetic. Fair play Luke Shaw.

That doesn't read like a "form letter" at all, unless you're stupid enough to really believe that Manchester United Football Club have a template for "letter for parents who suffered a terrible loss and then subsequently had another child".

(Most of) This thread is pathetic. Fair play Luke Shaw.

Um, that's why I didn't call it a form letter, but getting close to one as I'm sure they do get plenty of similar letters from bereaved fans and are well versed in handling them....Unless you are stupid enough to think this is the first correspondence of this nature that they have ever entered into.

I answer plenty of emails every day that start with form responses which I edit to better suit the individual requirements. This one has all the hallmarks of one of those. Take a look at the main body of the reply, the longest paragraph. That is most likely a macro with just the "Last year" part, and the name Ava and "daughter" altered from the original.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Um, that's why I didn't call it a form letter, but getting close to one as I'm sure they do get plenty of similar letters from bereaved fans and are well versed in handling them....Unless you are stupid enough to think this is the first correspondence of this nature that they have ever entered into.

I answer plenty of emails every day that start with form responses which I edit to better suit the individual requirements. This one has all the hallmarks of one of those.

You said it was "Not much more than a form letter" which is basically calling it a form letter, so not sure what you're umming about.

It doesn't read like that at all anyway, just a nice couple of lines you've decided to be a pri ck about.

You said it was "Not much more than a form letter" which is basically calling it a form letter, so not sure what you're umming about.

It doesn't read like that at all anyway, just a nice couple of lines you've decided to be a pri ck about.

So, in two responses, you have implied that I'm stupid, and flat out called me a pr ick. Simply because I disagree with you? Please grow up.

For what it's worth, I don't think that calling it "Not much more than a form letter" is basically calling a form letter at all. I think it means "Not much more than a form letter".....Unless you didn't notice, I was calling it MORE than a form letter.

Edited by Ohio Saint

He clearly didnt write it. He clearly didnt dictate it. He probably didnt even ask for it to be written - unless you're suggesting Man U hand out their letterheads for any player who fancies sending a note?

Most big clubs have dedicated staff who take care of this kind of stuff for players - they get thousands a week. Also the Queen doesn't personally keep tabs on who is turning 100 nor go down the post office to send the telegrams. Shocking I know. None of that devalues the fact its a nice gesture from the club.

Edited by buctootim

So, in two responses, you have implied that I'm stupid, and flat out called me a pr ick. Simply because I disagree with you? Please grow up.

For what it's worth, I don't think that calling it "Not much more than a form letter" is basically calling a form letter at all. I think it means "Not much more than a form letter".....Unless you didn't notice, I was calling it MORE than a form letter.

I apologise. I'll rephrase.

You're not much more than a pri ck.

He clearly didnt write it. He clearly didnt dictate it. He probably didnt even ask for it to be written - unless you're suggesting Man U hand out their letterheads for any player who fancies sending a note?

Most big clubs have dedicated staff who take care of this kind of stuff for players - they get thousands a week. Also the Queen doesn't personally keep tabs on who is turning 100 nor go down the post office to send the telegrams. Shocking I know. None of that devalues the fact its a nice gesture from the club.

In other news, the Easter Bunny isn't real.

This forum has become a miserable, soul sucking place to be. I'm not even a regular here, but when I do log on it's the same miserable names, giving the same miserable opinions. The sad thing is I'm sure if I met them in real life there probably nice blokes/girls....or maybe not...god knows.

You're probably right mate. thanks to the first post we all know Steve MUFC twitter account. Maybe as you've told us you doubt Luke's response is heartfelt, you should go onto his twitter and advise him of the same. You may take some flak, but you sound confident, so surely the burden of proof is on them to prove you wrong! Off you go!

You're probably right mate. thanks to the first post we all know Steve MUFC twitter account. Maybe as you've told us you doubt Luke's response is heartfelt, you should go onto his twitter and advise him of the same. You may take some flak, but you sound confident, so surely the burden of proof is on them to prove you wrong! Off you go!

As I said, it's not a biggy, so why would I even do that? I'm not knocking Luke or MUFC. It was a polite and decent thing to do. Most clubs would do the same for both their players and their fans. It was simply a well meaning response to some people during a bad time. The club wrote the letter, and Luke signed it, probably gladly......It's just nothing more than that. I don't need to put an opinion all over the internet just because I have one....Posting it here is even more than I should have bothered doing if anyone is going to get all bent out of shape about it.

With respect, this is definitely written by Utd's media department. This is not a slight on Shaw, he signed the thing I'm sure he meant it but we have heard him speak and he did not write this.

Honestly I don't see why that is upsetting, no doubt the club asked if he wanted to be involved, perhaps it was even his idea. It is a nice gesture.

Hmm. The cynic in me assumes this was some sort of pr thing because it's typed up on headed paper and he has just signed it at the bottom (he never struck me as the most erudite individual.) hopefully not.

And why would Manchester United have chosen Luke Shaw as the one and only MU player to send a letter? Do they have a tragedy department that sends out exactly one letter per tragedy and they randomly choose which player will sign it (or perhaps they rotate them)? Or maybe it is Shaw's agent who does that? Or maybe Shaw hired a PR person to do this, in which case he is responsible for it. Or maybe he noticed it himself and asked someone to help him write the letter. Or maybe he wrote it himself. Why is this something to complain about?

That being said, this is my 2000th post and I want to thank the Saintsweb community for generally being so welcoming to an American who, out of the blue, starting blogging about your football club. (This message of appreciation suggested and written by my PR guy.)

For those who care, I apologize for not blogging more often but I am self employed and my work schedule has been crazy this year. For those of you who don't care, I apologize for mentioning it.

And why would Manchester United have chosen Luke Shaw as the one and only MU player to send a letter? Do they have a tragedy department that sends out exactly one letter per tragedy and they randomly choose which player will sign it (or perhaps they rotate them)? Or maybe it is Shaw's agent who does that? Or maybe Shaw hired a PR person to do this, in which case he is responsible for it. Or maybe he noticed it himself and asked someone to help him write the letter. Or maybe he wrote it himself. Why is this something to complain about?

That being said, this is my 2000th post and I want to thank the Saintsweb community for generally being so welcoming to an American who, out of the blue, starting blogging about your football club. (This message of appreciation suggested and written by my PR guy.)

For those who care, I apologize for not blogging more often but I am self employed and my work schedule has been crazy this year. For those of you who don't care, I apologize for mentioning it.

I'm sure your secretary and PR guy have a crazy schedule. You just fart about on the internet and play with cats;)

My son wrote to Luke through the family he used to board with when he first broke into the team saying how he enjoyed watching Luke play. Luke wrote a lovely encouraging letter back which my son will always treasure, no matter who he plays for,

My son wrote to Luke through the family he used to board with when he first broke into the team saying how he enjoyed watching Luke play. Luke wrote a lovely encouraging letter back which my son will always treasure, no matter who he plays for,

Which colour crayon did he use?

I know mate. You must have been having a funny five minutes. It happens.

Kindly show where I was "upset" about Uniteds pr team writing something for Shaw to sign? Its a load of other people getting their knickers in a twist that anyone would even suggest something so heinous.

Kindly show where I was "upset" about Uniteds pr team writing something for Shaw to sign? Its a load of other people getting their knickers in a twist that anyone would even suggest something so heinous.

Oh Hypo, at least Ohio Saint seemed to have a moment of self realisation in post 22 when he says, "I don't need to put an opinion all over the internet just because I have one" ..Yep I feel we may have a real breakthrough moment here...'I don't need to put an opinion all over the internet just because I have one' Maybe scribble that in crayon, stick it on the fridge door & let in sink in. Good session fellah!

Oh Hypo, at least Ohio Saint seemed to have a moment of self realisation in post 22 when he says, "I don't need to put an opinion all over the internet just because I have one" ..Yep I feel we may have a real breakthrough moment here...'I don't need to put an opinion all over the internet just because I have one' Maybe scribble that in crayon, stick it on the fridge door & let in sink in. Good session fellah!

So actually complete and utter made up tosh. I was never upset about those claims and you were unable to substantiate what you said. Apology accepted. As ohio said, it's really not worth getting all upset about.

So actually complete and utter made up tosh. I was never upset about those claims and you were unable to substantiate what you said. Apology accepted. As ohio said, it's really not worth getting all upset about.

Err, I didn't apologise mate. There's nothing to accept! I think it's just kind of disappoints me when someone types a good news story about an ex player, who on the basis of what I've heard about him, is a pretty decent chap. Then you guys rock-up, and doubt his sincerity. A lot of us probably know someone who's lost a kid, and then been thrilled when they've finally had a child. I just felt some of the comments were unnecessary. I don't really understand what would drive a person to be so negative on a thread like this...and believe me i'm as flawed an individual as they come.

Not strictly Saints related but came across a letter that Luke Shaw wrote to a set of new parents who tragically lost another kid a while back
.He is a class act and Saints did a great job in helping raise him the right way.

Yet another example that Saints don't just coach youngsters to be good players but ensure they are good human beings too.

Is it just me or does anybody else think that seems a bit like the sort of template letter a club would knock out? In my opinion, the tone and wording of it doesn't seem indicative of an individual response from Shaw himself.

Is it just me or does anybody else think that seems a bit like the sort of template letter a club would knock out? In my opinion, the tone and wording of it doesn't seem indicative of an individual response from Shaw himself.

Yeah, I thought the same.